A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Do you hate Perrin?

Darkhound

Who's hotter? Elayne or Egwene?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who's hotter? Elayne or Egwene?

• Elayne
    • Egwene

Being a newbie around here, I spent the last few days going through most of the topics. I found a lot of interesting stuff. And one fact that was particularly shocking.

It seems like a lot of you don't like Perrin?!?!

I still can't believe it. Especially since Young Bull is my favorite character in the series. Except for Rand. And Mat. And Lan. Okay, time to rephrase. He's one of my favorite characters in the series. Right behind Thom, and most of the Forsaken. And about 2/3 of the Aiel. And most of the Aes Sedai. And pretty much all of the Seanchan.

Okay, let's rephrase once again. He's one of the characters in the series...

But I don't hate him. Why do you? Or why don't you?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darkhound indeed. *grins*

No, I certainly don't hate Perrin Aybara. I kind of like him and think most of his negative sides are grossly overrated by many WoTers (I particulary LIKE how he goes after his wife). I just don't like him as much as certain other chars. Like Matrim Cauthon.

Moric of the Singing Wind sept of the Miagoma Aiel

I don't hate Perrin.

I simply think he's been totally wasted here. His loooooooooooooooooooooong and winding storyline has done nothing to advance the real story. It's been a total dead-end.

If Jordan wanted to write a treatise on dysfunctional relationships, great. But, why stick it in the middle of a fantasy about the ultimate battle between Light and Darkness?

I don't hate Perrin.

I simply think he's been totally wasted here. His loooooooooooooooooooooong and winding storyline has done nothing to advance the real story. It's been a total dead-end.

If Jordan wanted to write a treatise on dysfunctional relationships' date=' great. But, why stick it in the middle of a fantasy about the ultimate battle between Light and Darkness?[/quote']

heh heh heh heh!

Its a side plot, but truely it really does notithing to advance the main plot EXCEPT show a truce with the seanchan. I really hated perrin about the time when he left rand when rand went ballistic on him for defending the Aes Sedai.

P.S. REmember Min's viewing that Perrin would have to be there twice for rand to survive? admitting that the first time was Dumai's Wells, what was or will be the second one?

So far the score is tied. 3 for, 3 against.

I have to agree with Moric. I liked Perrin's rescue of Faile.

It's refreshing to find a character that is not:

a) Following the mantra "Duty is heavy as a mountain, death is light as a feather." to the letter, or

b) Not constantly trying to bail out of the fight,

but rather finds a middle ground. Do what you have to do, but save the girl first.

As for Min's viewing, I'm 99.9% sure the second in TG. I could be wrong, but not likely.

I once thought I were wrong, but I were mistaken.

As for Min's viewing' date=' I'm 99.9% sure the second in TG. I could be wrong, but not likely.

I once thought I were wrong, but I were mistaken.[/quote']

That .1% is a little bigger then that. Rand himself thinks that he is going to have to die at Tarmon Gai'don, and the Phrophecies say that he will spill blood there for sure. If Perrin is his insurance, t hen rand is not only garunteed to survive, but therefor to win also. I dont think that this works that way.

I don't hate Perrin.

If Jordan wanted to write a treatise on dysfunctional relationships' date=' great. But, why stick it in the middle of a fantasy about the ultimate battle between Light and Darkness?[/quote']

Weell... He doesn't really advance the main storyline, no... But he's not useless per se. He's actually a more obvious sidekick to Rand al'Thor than say... Matrim Cauthon.

Perrin Aybara is the one going back to the Two Rivers to make a fair imitation of the Threefold Land, he is the one to lead the forces coming to the Car'a'carn's rescue, he is the one going to fetch that Prophet for Rand al'Thor.

Nothing of this advances the main storyline in as great manner as what the Car'a'carn does or some of the things Matrim Cauthon does... But it sure takes care of the little things so the other can focus on the bigger issues.

Quite fitting for a blacksmith.

Moric of the Singing Wind sept of the Miagoma aiel

Guest Majsju

As annoying as Perrins storyline has been lately, look at what has been achieved...

The Shaido are dead, captured by the Seanchan, or running as fast as they can abck to the Waste. A big problem for Rand solved.

Masema, from having +20000 dragonsworn wrecking havoc to about 200. Another big problem solved.

Perrin making another connection with the Seanchan. Where Mat has made his ties to Tuon and the Deathwatch, Perrin has created connection to the army. Making it easier for Rand when he wants to talk about the truce.

Tam has been brought back to the story. The coming meeting between Tam and Rand might prove a crucial part of learning Rand to laugh and cry again.

And perhaps not so important, but very nice to see, Galina getting a most proper fate :D

I always thought of Perrin as the hopless romantic hero. More so than Rand. Rand's a romantic and all, but he's cruel to EVERYONE he loves, and as one of the main points of the books is, he loses his ability to feel love and kindness.

Perrin on the otherhand is overwhelmed with love. He's secure in himself, he's committed, he's intement, he's a romantic. And when you get in his way, and steal the love of his life, he's going to slaughter your entire race, even if it takes him a REALLY long time to do it.

As annoying as Perrins storyline has been lately' date=' look at what has been achieved...

The Shaido are dead, captured by the Seanchan, or running as fast as they can abck to the Waste. A big problem for Rand solved.

Masema, from having +20000 dragonsworn wrecking havoc to about 200. Another big problem solved.

Perrin making another connection with the Seanchan. Where Mat has made his ties to Tuon and the Deathwatch, Perrin has created connection to the army. Making it easier for Rand when he wants to talk about the truce.

Tam has been brought back to the story. The coming meeting between Tam and Rand might prove a crucial part of learning Rand to laugh and cry again.

And perhaps not so important, but very nice to see, Galina getting a most proper fate :D[/quote']

That .1% is a little bigger then that. Rand himself thinks that he is going to have to die at Tarmon Gai'don' date=' and the Phrophecies say that he will spill blood there for sure. If Perrin is his insurance, t hen rand is not only garunteed to survive, but therefor to win also. I dont think that this works that way.[/quote']

Let's be honest. What are the chances that Rand is going to lose TG? Maybe he won't win in the way we all imagine, but I can't see the 11 book build-up ending in utter defeat. That wil just be wrong.

As for Rand dying at TG, I admit, he'll probably bite the big one facing the DO, but before that, he'll have to fight his way through quite a number Trolocks,Dark Friends, and the Forsaken first. Can't see them all just backing off. Perrin can save him in any one of those battles.

Guest Egwene

Voted for Perrin. I love his afinity with the wolves, got a bit bored with the kidnapping plot (even more with the prophet) but feel there have been lots of Perrin highlights I wouldn't do without.

He also has been much more supportive of Rand than some others that I could mention.

Guest cwestervelt

I'm a "whatever" concerning Perrin. Don't hate him, don't love him. I actually did like him for the first couple of books, but then he hooked up with Faile. The say that behind every successful man is a good woman, but that sure isn't her. She's a scheming, lying, insufferable little [derogative term of choice] and the fact that he married her didn't say a lot for him. She ruined a good man.

I don't hate him. I just find him VERY frustrating. Loving your wife is one thing. Letting your brain disolve into a puddle of ooze, because of it is another. The first four books Perrin was one of my favourite characters. Now his character is defined by Faile it grates. This story needs a fairly major character to die early in book 12 to bring an 'edge of your seats' quality to it. And Faile is that perfect candidate.

I voted for Perrin Aybara, as well.

I really like the whole Wolfbrother-thing. And, as Majsju said: he has accomplished a lot. It's like football (no, not that american... joke... that's more like rugby with riot gear - what you yankees would call "soccer"): The most interesting play is in the center of the field. But many good chances just suddenly appears on the left of right side of the field and accomplishes almost as much before anyone expects it.

And I, for one, actually LIKE Faile t'Aybara. I like that fiery blooded falcon a good deal more than Berelain sur Paendrag at least. No matter what the Wise One's says... (hehe)

Moric of the Singing Wind sept of the Miagoma Aiel

But you DO forget her fierce devotion to her "beloved wolf", her very amusing relationship(s?) with her parents and her vow to pick up Perrins sword (I guess that's a figure of speech :wink: ) if he falls. Let's be fair here.

Moric of the Singing Wind sept of the Miagoma aiel

As for Min's viewing' date=' I'm 99.9% sure the second in TG. I could be wrong, but not likely.

I once thought I were wrong, but I were mistaken.[/quote']

That .1% is a little bigger then that. Rand himself thinks that he is going to have to die at Tarmon Gai'don, and the Phrophecies say that he will spill blood there for sure. If Perrin is his insurance, t hen rand is not only garunteed to survive, but therefor to win also. I dont think that this works that way.

Not exactly. Perrin's absence would guarantee defeat, but his presence only assures a *chance* of victory. Min's very clear about that before dumai's wells.

J

can i just say in defense of Faile that Perrin often seems to know people's emotions before they do. just cause Faile smells of jealousy doesn't mean she's always going to act on it. That's one of the problems of his gift he'll act on something before he's seen if the person is going to act on their emotion. you can't help but feel what you feel it's how you act on it that matters. and cause he acts first it starts to complicate matters.

hopefully they'll have a big bust up though and Faile will be on the backfoot a bit. I sense something coming when the aftermath of Rolan's death hits the fan.

Perrin is a Legand! I'm not too happy that there's non of Perrin's story in FoH. These's barely even a mention of him. I am eager to hear about what he's up to in book 6, which I am certain will be a great difference to what happened in book 4. LEGAND! :D

Guest cwestervelt
can i just say in defense of Faile that Perrin often seems to know people's emotions before they do. just cause Faile smells of jealousy doesn't mean she's always going to act on it. That's one of the problems of his gift he'll act on something before he's seen if the person is going to act on their emotion. you can't help but feel what you feel it's how you act on it that matters. and cause he acts first it starts to complicate matters.

hopefully they'll have a big bust up though and Faile will be on the backfoot a bit. I sense something coming when the aftermath of Rolan's death hits the fan.

You can say it, but that doesn't mean I can or will accept it. It isn't just that Perrin is smelling jealousy and not understanding why, she has acting on her jealousy from the very beginning. Why do you think Perrin was having such a hard time in Cairhien? Faile knew he wasn't doing anything to encourage Berelain. Perrin was honest with Faile about who he was from the very beginning. Much the opposite of how she behaved to him. She knew exactly what type of man she was marrying. Her jealousy is completely unfounded. She was even instantly jealous of Min until she realized that Perrin and Min were nore brother and sister than anything else. Even then, she wasn't very happy having Min around.

I certainly do not hate Perrin... however I find reading his chapters the hardest. Mostly because he has had the same mind-set for 11 books. He doesn't seem to change or grow like the rest of them. I realize his personality is more attached to home and being a simple man but honestly out of all the main characters I find him to be a little boring. Sorry to all the Perrin fans.

Archived