DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

After New Spring...

Guest wheels_jr2

Guest wheels_jr2

I just finished reading New Spring last night and I was really surprised at how much ground there was left to cover before Eye of the World. I may have missed something but I don't think I saw any hint that pointed towards the two rivers. Also how did Siuan get raised to amyrlin? Was Sierin a member of the black ajah? It's been a couple of years since I read the series so I'm probably forgetting some stuff.

I believe a lot of those questions will go unanswered, since there the next 2 intended prequel books will not be written. If I remember correctly, they would have covered some of Tam's story about him leaving the Two Rivers and finding Rand on the slopes of Dragonmount, among other things. Some things can be deduced from the main books, but alas, some of the rest will have to be left to our imaginative speculations.

My understanding of the two unwritten prequels was that one would be a Tam story and the other would be about Moiraine and Lan (and probably Siuane) again and would focus on how they discovered that the Dragon was in the Two Rivers (or at least cover that), so that would be years later. So as said, a lot of your questions will probably go unanswered.

We don't have all the details on Siuane, but we do know that the Amyrlin before her died prematurely as well. Those Amyrlin were older, but not anywhere near their expected time of dying. Siuane's youth (on top of her intelligence) was a major factor in her selection as Amyrlin because of this. I think it's possible that the Black Ajah were also trying to put young and less experienced Aes Sedai in all positions of power in the White Tower (if not their own people) intentionally, too.

This have probably been covered somewhere but why will not the two prequel books be written? Did not Jordan leave any information on them which could be used to write them anyway, those would be interesting stories to read. Also will there be any other books in the WoT universe save the main series? I mean there are so much world there and so much time, I would love to see some one or two nbooks stories from all over that world and it's rich history.

The prequels are unlikely to be written because RJ was against the idea of other people writing in his world. It required a change of mind on his part for us to even get the end of the series - there are older quotes from him saying that if something happened to him, we're out of luck. Harriet wants to respect his wishes on this matter, so is unwilling to get someone to write them. I think the plan is that the encyclopaedia Harriet is writing will include the information planned for the prequels, but we won't get the books themselves. If RJ was alive, he planned both the prequels and a series of outriggers, focusing on Mat and Tuon some ten years after TG.

Hopefully at one point down the line Sanderson is allowed to write those books. One can hope.

I would like to see that as well, IF (and only if) there are detailed notes. I don't need to read fanfic about that time period, then I'll rather just have what we currently have.

Siuan was raised in 988, when she was 30. So she reigned for ~11 years.

As to how, yep that would definitely be interesting. Seaine supported her, I think that's all we know about it. Although she is very intelligent, that is probably only a part of the reason.

I would like to see that as well, IF (and only if) there are detailed notes. I don't need to read fanfic about that time period, then I'll rather just have what we currently have.

There ain't. Sanderson made the connection to it being fanfic himself.

Siuan was raised in 988, when she was 30. So she reigned for ~11 years.

As to how, yep that would definitely be interesting. Seaine supported her, I think that's all we know about it. Although she is very intelligent, that is probably only a part of the reason.

I think part of it was that they'd had several Amrylins die after very short reigns. So they wanted someone young to try and install some continuity. I guess it's possible that some thought that because she was young they'd be able to control her easily (similar to what they thought with Eg). Plus she's strong, I think that Siuane, Moiraine and Elaida all had similar strengths and were amongst the strongest AS.

I may have missed something but I don't think I saw any hint that pointed towards the two rivers.

That's actually an interesting point. In the original Legends short story, Moiraine had Tam's name in her little book (she thinks about it after visiting that family whose father died in a barn fire, when contemplating the difficulty of her task). That comment was later removed from the novel, for some reason.

I've actually theorized in the past that the second Moiraine prequal, the one which would apparently explain how Moiraine managed to get to the Two Rivers just in the nick of time, would deal with Larelle--the sister who was travelling with Marean and who disapeared--presumed killed by Merean, but what if like Merean she was Black, and simply deviated to track down another story of a lucky man (which was the Black's mission--killing men who might be able to channel. Merean followed Lan, whilst Larelle...? Perhaps she went after the man who can channel that Lan referenced in New Spring).

In any case, Moiraine returns to the Tower after, say, investigating stories of an Illianer soldier finding a babe, but she found nothing. She see's Larelle has also returned, and is curious because of the last time she saw Larelle, investigates and manages to either question Larelle, or perhaps using her trick, eavesdrop, and hears Larelle say that she's certain that the Dragon Reborn was a babe found by the Second Captain of the Companions. Moiraine heard no such story, when speaking to the normal soldiery, but she did hear the story of the Second Captain--a man from the Two Rivers, originally, in Andor.

This is just a general sort of concept but something like this would explain how Moiraine came to be in the Two Rivers just in time--it was just in time because she got the clue from the Shadow who were narrowing down their own scopes. It would also explain why Moiraine believed she had stolen a march on the Shadow--her own research supplying her with a crucial piece of information the Shadow lacked and enabling her to interpret what they knew differently. It would explain why she attained an angreal then--she clearly did not expect Trollocs, but she may have been wary of Larelle showing up.

I don't think I'd want to see any more stories written, but maybe the notes (for stuff that wasn't included in aMOL) could be included in the encyclopedia(?) that Maria(?)'s working on. If some of the notes were particularly detailed, then maybe write up as a 'lost fragment' similarly to the Strike at Shayol Ghul excerpt. By the sounds of it the notes don't equal a story, but maybe they equal a page?

They did announce the new short story "River of Souls" to come out in 2013 that's credited to Jordan and Sanderson. Not sure what it will be about, but it's an official WOT release. Maybe there will be some answers there!

Brandon has confirmed it is based on some of the deleted material from aMoL.

The main problem with other books is the lack of detailed notes. It would, as it has been said, mostly fan-fic, which RJ was very much against. The encyclopaedia and perhaps the occasional revelation from Team Jordan down the track in interviews will 90% be the only things we will get from the Wheel of Time in the future.

Hopefully at one point down the line Sanderson is allowed to write those books. One can hope.

Sadly he has no desire to write any more in the WOT series. He has his own books to write now that he has gone from the obscure writer to known writer. He has already stated he is done with WOT.

Archived