DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who will have the actual "Memory" of The Light? What will it be? What will it do?

The Fisher King

This is all only assuming of course that the title is meant to be taken literally. In EOTW, "memory" plays a powerful part in the prologue. Memory plays a large role in "Veins of Gold" in TGS as well, in my opinion.

For all we know, Rand's Memory of Light could simply be him remembering a time from the Age of Legends when Lews Therin forgot to change a light bulb!

Fish

I think its a dual meaning:

1) Moridin or some key players from the Shadow will change sides. Or at least turn from the shadow on their death beds.

2) The Shadow is going to literally cover the world and things are going to look so hopeless that there will literally be only a memory of daylight left and a memory of the Light and the normal working world.

Its a good possibility that no one will have this "Memory". With RJ's use of ambiguous titles it could be an obscure reference to passage from a book, or saying (tPoD CoT).

That's a good point.

Memory, in general, is most associated with Mat (what's written on his spear and stuffed in his head) and with Rand (LTT's memories).

Brandon has said that one meaning of "A Memory of Light" was how we saw Rand in the beginning of chapter 1 that Brandon read out loud where he is finally returning to the "light" in a way... Idk but how the light was radiating off him in chapter 1 and how the title of the book represents The Dragon Reborn himself

Brandon has said that one meaning of "A Memory of Light" was how we saw Rand in the beginning of chapter 1 that Brandon read out loud where he is finally returning to the "light" in a way... Idk but how the light was radiating off him in chapter 1 and how the title of the book represents The Dragon Reborn himself

Yeah ... remember that RJ was thinking in terms of the storyline covered in the last three books as all being part of "A Memory of Light" so Rand's VoG moment definitely qualifies.

This is all only assuming of course that the title is meant to be taken literally. In EOTW, "memory" plays a powerful part in the prologue. Memory plays a large role in "Veins of Gold" in TGS as well, in my opinion.

I posted some thoughts on that some time ago:

Just looking at that quote makes me wonder why people think about resurrection. That Foretelling literally states that 'he who is dead yet lives'.

The Dragon will be both alive and dead at the same time. It might feel like moments or like an eternity for the Dragon, because it might very well be in a mix of TAR and the Real World (enterrr Horn of Valere!) like I posted some time ago in the 'twice dawns the day thread'.

Why would anyone that is 'yet living' need resurrecting help from outside?

He needs 'willpower' and 'strenght of mind' in the one place where Thought is Matter and Reality is like Clay to Shai'tan.

Thought is the arrow of Time. Keep your head clear, me little Dragon!, in the maelstrom of Chaos!

It's his fight. All the rest can do is have faith (belief) and combat chaos (order).

Let the Dragon duke ik out with the Shadow in the Void. Technically, you might just call someone dead when residing there.

Let the Lord of the Morning, the Prince of the Dawn have a Memory of Light and through sheer willpower (In TAR @ the Bore) will the Sun (second Dawn) to rise in the Heart of the Dark.

Let Lews Therin sacrifice himself hoping for nothing but salvation and Rebirth (coincidence that this is the strongest, purest oath / way to bind yourself?) and seal away Shai'tan -as it was once designed by the Creator- inside the Dragon Soul by literally 'embracing Death' (as the Aiel say the Dragon has learned) with Light.

Rands living mind will find a way (enter Fain? enter Bond to his wives?) back to creation to stay alive and emerge from the Void.

In the Real World a few days might have gone by... because of the different time-flow in TAR.

Who needs something like resurrection?

Certainly not the Champion of Life, I'd guess.

(original thread here, with more interesting posts; http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/72879-three-on-the-boat/ )

And there's this old one:

The Dragon (Reborn) is the Lord of the Morning; the Prince of the Dawn.

What I think will happen during Tarmon Gaidon is the following:

At one point, Mat will blow the Horn of Valere and -much like what we saw at the end of TGH- that will mix Tel'aran'rhiod & the Real World.

But this time Mat doesn't blow it just anywhere (like near Falme), but he'll blow it as a last ditch effort at (or near) Shayol Ghul. That way, what Verin described as a paradox back in TDR (see the Chapter 'A Matter of Thought' (how fitting!)) won't be a paradox at all since all the worlds are one, so if the DO wins right there, the DO is freed in all worlds since TAR is part (and/or surrounding) all the worlds.

It also makes sure that the Last Battle between Shai'tan & the Dragon -again much like the TGH fight- will be a battle of willpower mostly.

A battle of Mind over Matter, since in TAR ' thought' is 'Matter' (see previously mentioned chapter name). Normally, Shayol Ghul can't be reached in TAR -due to Shai'tans influence-, but because the Horn is blown at the weak spot, it now can be reached.

"Thought is the arrow of Time and Memory never fades".

So when the Dragon is nearly deafeated and is being swallowed by the 'infinite maw' he will have a Memory of Light (since memory is the one thing that never fades). And through his sheer strong stubborn willpower, the Dragon wills the sun to Dawn in TAR right at the Heart of the Dark, fullfilling prophecy of having the Sun dawn twice*. Once that morning in the Real World and once later in the day in a mix of TAR and the Real World moments before the Shadow swallows all. He will remember Light in the one spot where there is none and will hope for salvation and Rebirth.

I think that's how he will defeat Shai'tan. The Dragon will once again bind the Soul of Shadow inside his own Soul by envelopping Darkness/Nothingness with the Light of the dawning Sun. Binding Shai'tan as it was once designed by the Creator; The strongest of Souls binding the seed of Chaos/Nothingness inside somehting evil cannot touch -a pure Soul-, through sacrificing that Soul and hoping for nothing but salvation and rebirth (the strongest oath).

The weak spot will disapear from the woven Pattern because the Dragon dies and Shai'tan is bound inside the Dragon Soul in the 'soulpool'.

The weak spot in the Pattern will only re-appear each time the Dragon is spun out and woven into the Pattern, making the saying that about the Dragon bringing the Dark One more then half right; the Soul of the Dragon that is woven in the Pattern IS the weak spot.

It's why Shai'tan needs the Dragon (Soul) in the right circumstances to be able to break the Wheel of Time. Ironically, the circumstances for Shai'tan to break free are the exact same circumstances that the Dragon needs to be able to re-seal Shai'tan the proper way (as described above).

Amen.

"Let the Prince of the Dawn ride again on the Winds of Time!"

Cheerio,

Mik

*It's noteworthy that we've never seen a dawn -nor dusk- in TAR before, I think.

Through the Dragon we will see the first Dawn in the Unseen World.

(original here: http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/60798-day-that-dawns-twice/?do=findComment&comment=1864846 )

Some call it a theory...some call it trolling.

I say, call it what you will....but I'd love to read something like that!

Beginning of TGS. Rand's first chapter - I think page 56. Rand is thinking about Semihrage's capture and questioning. Cad, Nyn and Alivia come in and they try to convince Rand to let them torture Sem. He says no and thinks to himself "This one shred of Light I will keep for myself". If he let's them torture the woman, he'll lose the last shred of light he has.

Question: Before BS broke the last book into three books, was A Memory of Light the title for the entire book?

Archived