DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fandom Cage Match- Bout 6: Game of Thrones VS Lord of the Rings

Starrik

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm the Devil's advocate because I gave both Twilight and Dracula a chance? I'm an English lit major, I look at everything extremely objectively. But Wheel of Time and Harry Potter and Sword of Truth are still my favorite series *nods*

I don't watch Pokemon or Digimon so NEITHER!!

• 3 weeks later...

Resurrecting once again....

Finally we get to the good stuff

*fanfare of trumpets*

Game of Thrones vs. Lord of the Rings

Before we go into detail about this can we assume that all LotR stuff is considered non-spoiler (and that LotR includes Hobbit, Silmarillion, etc)?  And how far can we go with GoT, all the releases have been in paperback for a while, so is it all fair game, what about Dunk and Egg?  I know that there are some people reading along with Leigh on Tor, so should we put it in spoiler tags? 

I tried reading GoT, did not like it at all. Tried watching the show, absolutely hated it. My husband loves both though.

I lurve LotR so very, very much!!! Both the books and the movies. Although I haven't read them in a VERY long time. Ah Aragorn.....

Game of Thrones. I've only seen season 1, and have yet to read Dance with Dragons at all, but the LOTR books were overrated. Tolkien would have been much better off ordering the events chronologically, and dropping the musical interludes. ASOIAF has some songs too, especially book 3, but they're much better integrated into the story, and even serve as a running theme of the third book. Also, I never cared much for Tolkien's prudish way of writing. Martin's style is much more realistic and gives you a sense that there are actual people living actual lives in his stuff.

@Starrik - good guess :)

As much as I understand anything about literary critique, Tolkiens language and world-building are superb!  But LotR suffers on story - it's told very slowly and never, ever ends, the Hobbit has a great story but suffers on character - if you read any of the TOR reread summaries they're at Chapter 9 or so, so a fair way through the novel, the storyline's cracking on, and almost all the dwarves are interchangeable, 4 of them have unique identifiers.  Seeing's how I read books primarily for story and character, world-building and 'prose' are bonuses, but unless they're really bad (see Eragon (sorry if anyone's a fan), or Dan Brown) it may make a story read better, but it is a bonus.  In general I like the films more than I like the books (a rare occurrence, the only other 1 I can think of right now is Atonement - the Bourne books are as good as the films, but they have no relation to each other...), however they do sort of butcher Pippin and Faramirs characters.  In emphasising Eowyns role in killing the Witch King they ignore Merry's, etc...  But as films they work well.  The Hobbit not so much, Bits of it were great, other bits not so much.  I cringed when Bilbo told Frodo that a Hobbits hole wasn't musty - it's an amazing opening line, one of the best in a book ever! but have it as a voice over, Frodo should already know that a hobbit hole isn't musty (I know it seems really small, but it's near the beginning, and almost threw me out of the film).  But the biggest problem is that the Necromancer story just doesn't fit in with the story, Radagast just felt out of place, and the tone contasts between the Hobbit story and the Necromancer story just failed (for me), I'm not as bothered by the added fight scenes with the White orc as it fits in with the story...

Anyways, back on topic... 

This is where GRRM wins for me, his characters!  I have never read another book which has me shifting my viewpoint so often, Tyrion goes from unlikely hero to sulking brat, Sansa goes from spoiled Princess to (hopefully) politically savvy, Arya goes from epic to awesome (while being heartbreaking), Jon, Jamie, Cersei...  The only characters who I don't like and have never liked are Cat and Theon, and I suspect that I'll be pitying Theon very soon, and then liking him (but for now I cling to my dislike).  The story has slowed down somewhat after Storm, but in rereads I actually value Feast more highly, and am looking forward to see if I'm right about some hunches from Dragons... 

I'll second what Basel says as well, GRRM is very much a story about people, whereas Tolkien is a story about a world.  In reading Tolkien I get the impression that the story is a way to conver the world and the language, with GRRM it's about people first and foremost, living in interesting times...

tbc

• 3 weeks later...

Can't trust us Archers with anything, if and when I progress through the Archer Ranks, one of the ones I'll go through is thief.  

Anyway I'm going to be fairly quiet on the next one, I have more history with HP, but I love the Hunger Games, *shrugs*  will be a hard decision

Archived