DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[September Discussion] Health & Fitness

Songstress

You say running is bad for the knees - but do you mean that as a comparison with biking or swimming?

I've an almost-60-year-old father who runs marathons (sub-4 hours) and is currently training for a triathalon... he has NEVER had knee problems. On the flipside, I'm a soccer player who has had knee troubles for years and I've never been a runner (as a goalkeeper, you don't do a whole lot of running.) Of course, ironically, when I began running to pass Army PT tests (just 2 miles), my knees got a lot better, because the muscle I gained in my legs took a lot of the strain off of my joints.

I just don't want anyone to be misled, as running can be a great activity in terms of getting fit.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does everybody think about programs like thep90x. Too good to be true or well worth the effort? Hard to trust the tv ya know

I wouldn't pay for it, but I have done it...

I didn't do all the workouts. I did the yoga one, but got bored in about 15 minutes...

The ab workout - Ab Ripper X - was pretty awesome, in my opinion. I'd acquire it online if you're looking for a good ab workout to do in your living room.

I also recommend Insanity's Plyometric Cardio Circuit. It was pretty good, too, if you lack a gym/need something to do in your home with no equipment.

You say running is bad for the knees - but do you mean that as a comparison with biking or swimming?

I've an almost-60-year-old father who runs marathons (sub-4 hours) and is currently training for a triathalon... he has NEVER had knee problems. On the flipside, I'm a soccer player who has had knee troubles for years and I've never been a runner (as a goalkeeper, you don't do a whole lot of running.) Of course, ironically, when I began running to pass Army PT tests (just 2 miles), my knees got a lot better, because the muscle I gained in my legs took a lot of the strain off of my joints.

I just don't want anyone to be misled, as running can be a great activity in terms of getting fit.

They say you have to be mental to be a goalie, is this true for you?

I am struggling with maintaining my height-weight proportion. I had a great difference around eight months ago. Since then, I have managed to loose most of the extra fat but my weight is still not proportional to my height. What would be your recommendation?

I am struggling with maintaining my height-weight proportion. I had a great difference around eight months ago. Since then, I have managed to loose most of the extra fat but my weight is still not proportional to my height. What would be your recommendation?

this like BMI? Because BMI is not an exact science, it's a nice indicator but shouldn't be your be all and end all, there are other things you could use like body fat composition, though you would need special tools for that I think

as for losing weight you can do two things really eat less (or eat less high-energy stuff) and exercise more

BMI is more than it should be. It is okay if it is within the range but mine is higher.

Eat less, if I eat any less than I would probably die of starvation. And for dieting it is that eat small amounts of food after small amounts of time.

I don't know where I would find time for more exercise. Normally I cycle 10km in a day.

Kate - I think running is generally known as being bad for the knees, however that doesn't mean it is bad for everyone. I know people that can't run any more because of it. but compared to other sports, running can do a lot of damage, mainly because it impact a lot on the body. A lot of people don't notice problems until they are older. I also know people that are older and still run a lot. It's like everything, some people will have problems, some won't. But running is harder on the body compared to others on the knees. It's like smoking...it doesn't mean you will get cancer, but it increases the chances. (I wanted to be a fitness instructor, so did a lot investigation...obviously I didn't go down that path, but still have a passion...haha) v- I gather you are in the Army...good for you girl, can't beat it as a career...you have my respect!

I used to do a lot of running and it kept me really fit (6 miles), I would never say don't do it at all. I would recommend any exercise. but if someone is over weight, it is not a great place to start, because the stress on the knees would be a lot more.

It's always best to do different types of exercise, not only does it keeps it interesting, it gets other muscles working not just the same ones. Keeps you body on it's toes and so it doesn't get used to what you are doing.

Pank - Smiley is right, don't get too hung up on it. how do you feel in yourself, do you feel toned, are you fit...because those are things to check, not something that is supposed to be an average. Very fit athletes have a high BMI...mainly because they are covered in muscle and muscle tissue weighs heavier than fat, so even though you diet and exercise, you may find that losing some fat and gaining muscle means you won't show a weight loss. I don't know how much you exercise, but you may want to do some. A lot of how we are is down to our genes, some will exercise and diet and still be over on BMI, I will never be light, even when I have been quite skinny, mainly because my bones are heavy, I would have to be anorexic to get down to small clothe sizes, it's in my bone structure and density.

Led - I have never heard of it, so can't help you there. I have bought a few things off the TV before and I lose heart when doing them and they soon end up gathering dust. the only one I still use is a pilates one, and that is mainly because I have had back problems (totally blame my daughter for that - had problems in pregnancy!...only joking, though I do tease her,,,hehe)

Sorry Pank, missed your last one.

a bit of advice about the dieting....don't do it too much, your body will go into starvation mode and will end up storing fat because it thinks you are going through a famine...you somehow need to trick your body that it is getting all the food it needs whilst reducing the fat/calories you eat. Great you are cycling that much, maybe swap a couple of the cycling for something else, your body will get used to the exercise, if you don't change it regularly and you won't reap the benefits. Also try doing some weights. and no you won't bulk up. The type of muscle you gain in weight lifting (not heavy weights) increases you metabolism and you will burn off more calories whilst resting. It needs food etc to keep it going even when not doing anything, obviously fat doesn't need any to keep it there...it is just there doing nothing unless you get your body to use it.

BMI is more than it should be. It is okay if it is within the range but mine is higher.

Eat less, if I eat any less than I would probably die of starvation. And for dieting it is that eat small amounts of food after small amounts of time.

I don't know where I would find time for more exercise. Normally I cycle 10km in a day.

what do you mean more than it should be? I think 18 - 25 is normal and it sounds like you'd fit in there fine. 10kms of cycling a day sounds good to me, so I don't think you've got too much of a problem

I am not working on my fitness too much right now. I need to get back into some sort of training. I used to lift heavy weights when younger as I needed strength for sports (American football, shot put) I was never interested in bulk. It was more important to have functional muscle. Never really did any supplements other than a little extra protein. I agree that core fitness is the most important thing you can do for yourself. I never really liked the whole sit-up crunch thing but I used to do a lot of leg lifts of various types and some other standing abdominal things.

I certainly agree that moderation is the key andthat alternating your workout will keep your body responding and will also keep you interested. Just staying active is a good way to stay fit. It is also cliche but true. take the stairs occasionally, walk to the store/mall. Go to the amusement park and walk around. I guess you need to stay away from some of the foods there . In So Cal our SixFlags is on a big hill that you basically have to walk up anddown and around to get to all the rides. It is a good fun day.

They say you have to be mental to be a goalie, is this true for you?

Absolutely. You have to be able to completely let go of the fear that you might and probably will get hurt. In some cases, especially when things are particularly squirrelly with lots of legs kicking for the ball, you have to have the guts to dive head first (literally) and grab it. Of course, for my insanity, I've suffered... about 5 concussions and a split eyelid. >.>

I am considered "overweight" by BMI charts. Not even on the cusp of the good BMI but very solidly overweight. I do not consider myself to be any less in-shape because of that, though. Muscularly speaking, I'm fit from head to toe. And that adds a ton of weight. (At my heaviest I've weighed - 178lbs - I could regularly bench pressed 145lbs in 8-rep sets.) Weight is a terrible indicator of fitness.

Talya - I totally agree with you. I just didn't want anyone to get the impression that running is automatically bad for your knees. I haven't found anything but running that works my entire body more in the same time frame. Swimming and biking work my muscles just as much, but my lungs and heart rate never reach the same intensity that I get from running. To anyone looking to try it - treat it like all workouts; if it hurts (not the good kind of hurt, but the something-isn't-right hurt), don't do it.

"They" (whoever "they" are) say that losing fat is 80% diet and 20% exercise. A properly done low carb diet will improve your body composition. It sounds like you've got exercise covered with all the cycling you do, although you might want to do some strength training for your upper body. Oh, why not take a scenic bike ride, just for fun? Or a bicycle tour.

Mark's Daily Apple has a lot of good advice about diet and training.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com//welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/#axzz26booGVSU

Here's some books about low carb diet:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=low+carbohydrate&sprefix=low+carbohy%2Cstripbooks%2C213&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Alow+carbohydrate

I'm currently reading "The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living..."

and "The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance"

I also recommend books by science writer Gary Taubes:

Good Calories, Bad Calories

(provides more scientific references and analysis than you can shake a ter'angreal at)

and

Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It

HTH

I really should do more, and am full of good intentions, but I just get so bored :sad:

I get so little time to myself and am often completely exhausted from work and looking after the family that when I finally have a moment to myself I want to do absolutely nothing.

I do have a wii ... Maybe when we move into the bigger house I will get the balance board and do wii fit again. That was working well before.

Kate - I know what ypou mean about running, I always feel fitter and feel like I'm working everything, unfortunately I can't do it now. Sounds daft, but I alwasy felt like everything was being 'gigled' about and it was doing something...haha.

To be honest I wouldn't recommend a low-carb diet, carbs are very important for slow release of energy. Both a lack of carb and protein are the things that will make your body think it is being starved. Fat on the other hand has more to do with taste than need. You should reduce fat in the diet (though remember you DO need fat - certain nutrients are fat soluble and so it is important). But as a whole the Western world eat way too much fat and sugars, they are the ones you need to watch, plus all this hydrogenated stuff...very bad! A good well balanced diet is best, with as little processed or ready made food as possible - trouble is, these are always cheaper, using natural ingredients can be a lot more expensive. Has anyone else noticed that Supermarkets mostly have deals on all the stuff that isn't so good for you... :dry:

From what I have heard of low carb diet is that it loses water and thus reduces weight but that isn't good in long run. And maybe I stressed out a bit as some people were calling me fat just before I saw this thread. But then those people would call a stick fat.

And I don't have muscle fat as far as I know. Mostly it's something doctors can't find and treat me for other things which I may hardly have. But I need to lose weight according to a doctor.

Kate - I know what ypou mean about running, I always feel fitter and feel like I'm working everything, unfortunately I can't do it now. Sounds daft, but I alwasy felt like everything was being 'gigled' about and it was doing something...haha.

To be honest I wouldn't recommend a low-carb diet, carbs are very important for slow release of energy. Both a lack of carb and protein are the things that will make your body think it is being starved. Fat on the other hand has more to do with taste than need. You should reduce fat in the diet (though remember you DO need fat - certain nutrients are fat soluble and so it is important). But as a whole the Western world eat way too much fat and sugars, they are the ones you need to watch, plus all this hydrogenated stuff...very bad! A good well balanced diet is best, with as little processed or ready made food as possible - trouble is, these are always cheaper, using natural ingredients can be a lot more expensive. Has anyone else noticed that Supermarkets mostly have deals on all the stuff that isn't so good for you... :dry:

A properly done low carb diet is scientifically proven to cause the body to burn fat stores for energy, thus improving fat to lean ratio. The low carb diet provides more than ample micronutrients necessary for health via low starch vegetables and low sugar fruits. You need dietary FAT for satiety and fuel. You need sufficient dietary protein to build and maintain muscle. You do not need carbs for energy once the body has adapted to using fat for fuel. Any blood sugar the body needs is easily supplied by gluconeogenesis.

Dietary FAT is self-limiting in the absence of carbs. It has no affect on blood sugar levels. Excessive CARBS, on the other hand, cause severe swings in insulin levels and eventually cause Type 2 Diabetes in many people.

It is typical that some water weight is lost in the initial stages of low carb diets, while you are in the process of nutritional ketogenic adaptation. You need to stay hydrated and ensure that you replace the sodium lost through urine to avoid discomfort.

Wow, certainly much more activity than I was expecting over a weekend! X_X Certainly lots of really good information in here. Some quick points (pardon if I overlooked something):

1) While exercise is not nessicarily going to hurt ones knees, there are a plethora of variables one needs to take into consideration: ones footwear, how large ones foot arches are, bone density, stride length, general activity levels, etc. While I don't like large scale generalizations- its something to be aware of. Take it with a grain of salt too, since I too run for exercise on a regular basis :)

2) BMI is just one aspect a physician takes into consideration when determining the physical health of a sex/age group. Of course many of these numbers are also averages based upon a larger population so I agree to not overly focus on the number.

3) I actually like P90x and other workouts like Insanity as they are usually high with cardio and and are total body focused. Of course like any workout, its good to not get into a routine too much due to muscle memory. A lot of people get into that problem and plateau...so always mix up ones workout routine (I suggest every 2 weeks) just to keep the muscles guessing :) Anyone here participated in CrossFit?

4) As for the low-carb diet...I'm ok with it, but only as long as its LOW carbs, not no carbs. I really did not like the Atkins diet fad at all. It does typically show results fast (month or so), but I carbs are extremly important , but I agree with Talya, most of a Western diet is filled with both too much protein and too many carbs. Actually low carb diets are pretty easy to do with simply substituing various dietary items EX: instead of rice eat quinoa. :) Rather though instead of trying to follow any particular diet style, one needs to evaluate what one eats and the quantity. If someone is eating lean protein,low to no fat, high in fiber, light carbs, and still not losing weight it might be that one needs to increase cardio activity, do some muscular exercise to burn calories at an increase rate while resting, or perhaps even get a check up at thier physicians. I have quite a few friends who had difficulties losing weight and found out that they had a glandular problem with thier thyroid.

A properly done low carb diet is scientifically proven to cause the body to burn fat stores for energy, thus improving fat to lean ratio. The low carb diet provides more than ample micronutrients necessary for health via low starch vegetables and low sugar fruits. You need dietary FAT for satiety and fuel. You need sufficient dietary protein to build and maintain muscle. You do not need carbs for energy once the body has adapted to using fat for fuel. Any blood sugar the body needs is easily supplied by gluconeogenesis.

Dietary FAT is self-limiting in the absence of carbs. It has no affect on blood sugar levels. Excessive CARBS, on the other hand, cause severe swings in insulin levels and eventually cause Type 2 Diabetes in many people.

It is typical that some water weight is lost in the initial stages of low carb diets, while you are in the process of nutritional ketogenic adaptation. You need to stay hydrated and ensure that you replace the sodium lost through urine to avoid discomfort.

I think "low carb" is a vague statement describing a diet. I would say that my diet is "low carb" and I recommend "low carb" to anyone who is trying to be healthier. However, my version of "low carb" still includes enough carbs for the energy I need for my workouts. For example, I LOVE good french bread or sourdough, etc. I can eat an entire loaf with a big bowl of soup. For a single meal, that is WAY too many carbs. (Why is bread so good?!) :tongue:

Normally (normally being when I am not away from home for an extended period of time, like now), I hold a job that requires me to be on my feet and active for quite awhile throughout the day (farmwork, deckhand, grounds keeper sometimes, construction work now and then, and odds and ends of physical labour, like painting houses and tarring roofs, etc.), so I generally do not worry about what I should or should not eat, even if I probably should if for no other reason than making sure I am getting a complete nutrient base rather than worrying about calories or whatever. I usually have break fast then supper, while a midday meal is just a snack, with break fast being my biggest meal because the bulk of my jobs are usually in the morning hours. I actually eat a lot more than most people, not only because most do not have such active jobs, but um...there might be a parasitic infestation involved, but anyhows :myrddraal:. I grow almost all the vegetables/fungus I use in my food, which is mostly potatoes, barley, mushrooms, kale, beans, asparagus...blah blah, and I trap or kill most of my meat, so I do not worry about chemicals or preservatives or anything, while I either drink water or milk from my cow. Probably the most unhealthy thing about my diet would be drinking alcohol, but that is only now and then - sometimes I can go weeks without drinking. Honestly :tongue:! And recently I have entirely given up alcohol because I am afraid it will not help my condition. And also I do have a sweet tooth, so I will buy sugar or fruit sometimes to make some sort of dessert, but unless I have an uncontrollable urge for it, I go months sometimes without making any thing very sugary or eating it. So I am in excellent physical condition, I could tell on my own, but my doctor thought so too.

Wow, certainly much more activity than I was expecting over a weekend! X_X Certainly lots of really good information in here. Some quick points (pardon if I overlooked something):

1) While exercise is not nessicarily going to hurt ones knees, there are a plethora of variables one needs to take into consideration: ones footwear, how large ones foot arches are, bone density, stride length, general activity levels, etc. While I don't like large scale generalizations- its something to be aware of. Take it with a grain of salt too, since I too run for exercise on a regular basis :)

2) BMI is just one aspect a physician takes into consideration when determining the physical health of a sex/age group. Of course many of these numbers are also averages based upon a larger population so I agree to not overly focus on the number.

3) I actually like P90x and other workouts like Insanity as they are usually high with cardio and and are total body focused. Of course like any workout, its good to not get into a routine too much due to muscle memory. A lot of people get into that problem and plateau...so always mix up ones workout routine (I suggest every 2 weeks) just to keep the muscles guessing :) Anyone here participated in CrossFit?

4) As for the low-carb diet...I'm ok with it, but only as long as its LOW carbs, not no carbs. I really did not like the Atkins diet fad at all. It does typically show results fast (month or so), but I carbs are extremly important , but I agree with Talya, most of a Western diet is filled with both too much protein and too many carbs. Actually low carb diets are pretty easy to do with simply substituing various dietary items EX: instead of rice eat quinoa. :) Rather though instead of trying to follow any particular diet style, one needs to evaluate what one eats and the quantity. If someone is eating lean protein,low to no fat, high in fiber, light carbs, and still not losing weight it might be that one needs to increase cardio activity, do some muscular exercise to burn calories at an increase rate while resting, or perhaps even get a check up at thier physicians. I have quite a few friends who had difficulties losing weight and found out that they had a glandular problem with thier thyroid.

It's true that thyroid issues can thwart weight loss.

I disagree with this approach to diet. If you remove one macronutrient, you need to replace it with another or you will feel like you're starving. Better to eat sufficient protein, plentiful fat (avoid polyunsaturated fats as they have poor Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratios, and transfats, as they are deleterious to health) and ditch grains and sugar altogether. Try to spread your carbs throughout the day to avoid swings in blood sugar.

Carbs in 1 C of quinoa = 39.4g carbs

Carbs in 1 C of rice = 36.7 carbs

I think "low carb" is a vague statement describing a diet. I would say that my diet is "low carb" and I recommend "low carb" to anyone who is trying to be healthier. However, my version of "low carb" still includes enough carbs for the energy I need for my workouts. For example, I LOVE good french bread or sourdough, etc. I can eat an entire loaf with a big bowl of soup. For a single meal, that is WAY too many carbs. (Why is bread so good?!) :tongue:

I have a particular weakness for a well-made croissant. But I try my best to avoid wheat and all grains. They wreck havoc with my blood sugar.

Yes, "low carb" is sort of vague. I would call "low carb" a diet which is 50g or less carbs per day; up to 150 if you're extremely active. But I would make those carbs from veggies, fruits and nuts.

Normally (normally being when I am not away from home for an extended period of time, like now), I hold a job that requires me to be on my feet and active for quite awhile throughout the day (farmwork, deckhand, grounds keeper sometimes, construction work now and then, and odds and ends of physical labour, like painting houses and tarring roofs, etc.), so I generally do not worry about what I should or should not eat, even if I probably should if for no other reason than making sure I am getting a complete nutrient base rather than worrying about calories or whatever. I usually have break fast then supper, while a midday meal is just a snack, with break fast being my biggest meal because the bulk of my jobs are usually in the morning hours. I actually eat a lot more than most people, not only because most do not have such active jobs, but um...there might be a parasitic infestation involved, but anyhows :myrddraal:. I grow almost all the vegetables/fungus I use in my food, which is mostly potatoes, barley, mushrooms, kale, beans, asparagus...blah blah, and I trap or kill most of my meat, so I do not worry about chemicals or preservatives or anything, while I either drink water or milk from my cow. Probably the most unhealthy thing about my diet would be drinking alcohol, but that is only now and then - sometimes I can go weeks without drinking. Honestly :tongue:! And recently I have entirely given up alcohol because I am afraid it will not help my condition. And also I do have a sweet tooth, so I will buy sugar or fruit sometimes to make some sort of dessert, but unless I have an uncontrollable urge for it, I go months sometimes without making any thing very sugary or eating it. So I am in excellent physical condition, I could tell on my own, but my doctor thought so too.

Your diet sounds very healthy! I envy your green thumb.

Well I will say Jani that I do not undergo a low carb diet, so I could be wrong about the carb grams in a cup of quinoa, but seeing as its not a grain, it would have a higher level of monounsaturated fat/protein and potentially fiber which I feel out weighs a minute difference in carbs.

But I do veey much agree in spreading out ones intake. I eat something small every four hours in lieu of big meals and I never eat past 8pm.

Honestly, while I feel nutrition is important, I feel theres an over analysis of it due to the diet business industry. Everyone is out to make a profit. No one disagrees with the nutritional content of an orange compared to cheesecake. If one exercises on a regular basis, and forgo most known unhealthy foods, I feel like one could/should be able to eat what they want in moderation. I used to be fat when younger and lost 100 pounds in 4 months, and have maintained weight ever since.

That being said, what does everone like to eat for pre, post workouts?

For pre workout I just eat a bannana, but for post I like nonfat greek yogurt with local clover honey and cinnamon and a handful of walnuts. Its a good energy booster, plus Im very much a champion of probiotics. Ive also seen an article or so that cinnamon helps regulate ones sugar intake, though Im not so sure how accurate that is.

Pre-workout depends on what the workout is... if I am going running, I usually just drink a glass of water. If I'm going to be playing a soccer match (they are often at 9pm), I will eat a light dinner that has little fat--meat and veggies-about an hour and a half before the game. This is odd, but I often have a diet coke or sugar-free Red Bull before/during a soccer match. >.> The caffeine gives me a short-term boost in my alertness; as a goalkeeper, I don't get to run around and get my blood pumping (so to speak), so I like the extra jolt, even if it's not the most healthy.

Post-workout, I LOVE a can of spinach. With green pepper sauce (the vinegar of pickled green tobasco peppers). I eat this almost immediately after getting done with a run. Then, about 30 minutes later, I'll eat a "whole" meal. I can't eat much just after a hard workout - I'd be ill if I did. When I'm really crunched for time, I'll have a lean protein shake - I can't remember the brand I use, but it's a relatively low calorie, low sugar, high fiber, high protein mix. And it doesn't taste like cardboard.

I like to exercise on an empty stomach. I like yoga and dancing, and I always do better in these sports if it's been at least 2 hours since my last meal. I'll drink water before and during exercise. Sometimes I'll have a protein shake for breakfast, made at home, but I find when I eat whey protein (whether as cottage cheese or whey protein isolate) I am hungry again in about 2 hours. It digests pretty fast. I like unsweetened yoghurt drink better. I always feel great after I drink these. So refreshing! Karoun has two great yoghurt drinks:

http://karoundrinks.com

Fage Total (Plain) Yoghurt is also great; I use it at home to make a cucumber lassi (let me know if you want the recipe) or tsatziki. 18g protein per cup.

http://www.fageusa.c...-total-classic/

My preferred meal after exercise is a whole foods meal, maybe a nice, dressed salad with some protein. I never carry food to the gym, I'm already shlepping enough stuff in my bag as it is.

Fage Total (Plain) Yoghurt is also great; I use it at home to make a cucumber lassi (let me know if you want the recipe) or tsatziki. 18g protein per cup.

Oooh. I just made homemade tsatziki yesterday with extra cucumber! Had it with grilled chicken and onions in a wrap for dinner,

Archived