32 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Kill Shadar Haran?

• Rand
    • Mat
    • Perrin
    • Fain
    • A Forsaken
    • Other

No insult taken, I assure you. I've told you recently (inadvertently and not directly) about one particular post of yours that I thought could be construed as rude and we have had many pleasant discussions since then so no grudges OK, it takes a bit to insult me, I'm all Aussie after all. :wink:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and maybe I did miss out on the Goonies. Is it suitable for a 10 and 12 year old? I'm not too strict on action but I draw the line at sexual adult themes.

Edited to add: "of yours"

That's about the age I was when I saw it actually. So yes, it's suitable for that age.

Oh yea, you're an Aussie! I know how to be rude to an Aussie, tell them you can't tell the difference between their accent and a Kiwi accent. (I really can't hear the difference, but for some reason some Aussies and Kiwi I know get really really pissed.)

;)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harriet thought Linda's accent was British. I thought my college roomie's accent was British too, and she was from Sydney. She did tell me that she didn't have a very Australian accent, though; people in Oz thought she was South African.

Mat is toast against SH. Even against Lan, Mat would need insane luck to win. Insane luck will be insufficeint against a thing such as SH.

True Power, SH can change shape...which may imply he is not entirely a corporeal being. If none corporeal, Mat's weapons will have no affect.

WoT is about balance: Creator/Shai'tan, saidin/saidar, men stronger/women can link, LTT/Ishamael, Taint/Mashadar....SH/Fain.

Given this, I think a possible double KO: SH vs. Fain.

Mat would have a hard time vs Lan? Oh come on! Even discounting the whole quarterstaff vs a sword, Mat has more than enough luck to beat Lan.

Held off a dozen Aiel solo, in a surprise attack and killed how many of them? Mat woiuld destroy Lan.

Harriet thought Linda's accent was British. I thought my college roomie's accent was British too, and she was from Sydney. She did tell me that she didn't have a very Australian accent, though; people in Oz thought she was South African.

I can tell the Aussie/British difference. I cannot tell a British/South Africian difference however. Well, after prolonged discussion I can, generally due to slang words and such. But if I meet someone new, no way I can tell.

Aussie and NZ sound a lot alike. They seem to think it doesn't, and to compare a few of them asked if I would be insulted if they couldn't tell a normal US accent from the Southeren US accent. I said no I wouldnt, but I'd worry about their mental capabilities. That twang is hard to miss. But apparently to them, it's the same thing. After 10 years of listening, I still can't tell for sure.

I get asked all the time where in England I'm from. I even had one guy refuse to believe me when I told him I was Aussie born and bred.

I don't get that. Those accents are like the difference between North US and Southern US accents. Nothing alike. Maybe if you just said hello or something.

I get asked all the time where in England I'm from. I even had one guy refuse to believe me when I told him I was Aussie born and bred.

I don't get that. Those accents are like the difference between North US and Southern US accents. Nothing alike. Maybe if you just said hello or something.

Agreed, but people even ask after I've talked for a bit. Inversely my best mate Katie never gets recognised as brittish, except the odd incident of when she refers to chips as 'crisps'. Filthy brit. :P

Btw you can here me talk from a clip at AusCon here, and decide for yourself: http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/51914-me-and-linda-from-the-13th-discuss-the-wheel-of-time-towers-of-midnight-robert-jordan-and-brandon-sanderson/page__hl__%2Bauscon

I mean, I'm no bogan, and I'm not really occa, but I sound perfectly Aussie to me.

Not everyone speaks with their local accent. I definitely don't. You'd never know I was raised in the Deep South if I didn't tell you. Well, some would, but only by certain clipped words and idioms; you have to be good to pick those things up without an accent. My accent is pretty generic American.

Not everyone speaks with their local accent. I definitely don't. You'd never know I was raised in the Deep South if I didn't tell you. Well, some would, but only by certain clipped words and idioms; you have to be good to pick those things up without an accent. My accent is pretty generic American.

Well yea, but you call it yourself, generically American, thus you realize you don't have a southern accent. It's hard to mistake a southern accent for a regular US accent.

Except that there are degrees of accents. Some people have slight accents; some people have heavy ones. Luckers doesn't sound like Crocodile Dundee; neither does Linda. There are more similarities between Aussie and British accents than there are between either and American accents.

My accent is not 'occa' (twangy for those not familiar with the term) either and I agree that Americans are particularly bad at doing Aussie accents Luckers, however I find that the reverse is a polar opposite. Aussies can pull off an American accent, no sweat. Come to think of it, I find it a little difficult to put on an occa accent.

I actually married a Kiwi/Maori (pronounced kind of like mouldy - they roll their rrrr's) and adopted (to an extent) their accent when speaking of Maori stuff because I like to pronounce things properly. And my ex wouldn't let me hear the end of it otherwise. Not meaning simplistic words like fush instead of fish, but specific names and places etc.. So try again Vards, still not insulted. Teehee :tongue:

Hmmm if Rand seals the Bore will not SH lose all his power and just become a ordinary Myrrdal ? So say that the bore is seal , all the above mention could kill him, it would be fun if Moghedien or Lanfear did it . But if this bore-sealing-weakening theory dose not hold my bet is Fain

Fain. Fain is the only one with a power that falls outside of the One Power and True Source. Mat is bad ass, no doubt, but he has no weapon against SH. Against the gholam he had his medallion. To fight SH, one needs something different, something of a nature alien to the Dark One.

RJ said something along the lines that Mashadar is a type of evil ancient but different and as strong as the Dark One. That is the sort of power one will need to fight SH.

Shadar Haran is the embodiment of the DO. It has to be Rand.

I think Couladin is foreshadowing that Mat can cheat, and kill anyone we think only Rand can. Rand has so many antagonists, between Moridin, Shadar Haran, Demandred, Fain, and the Dark One himself. And whatever Lanfear's trap is. If Mat killed them all, Rand would be useless. But there's room for Mat to pick off one.

One thing I'll give Fain is that he's headed to the Pit of Doom because it's the only place he's sure to meet Rand, and Shadar Haran seems to like to hang out there. Mat is going to be outside, with the armies.

Mat is toast against SH. Even against Lan, Mat would need insane luck to win. Insane luck will be insufficeint against a thing such as SH.

True Power, SH can change shape...which may imply he is not entirely a corporeal being. If none corporeal, Mat's weapons will have no affect.

WoT is about balance: Creator/Shai'tan, saidin/saidar, men stronger/women can link, LTT/Ishamael, Taint/Mashadar....SH/Fain.

Mat would have a hard time vs Lan? Oh come on! Even discounting the whole quarterstaff vs a sword, Mat has more than enough luck to beat Lan.

Held off a dozen Aiel solo, in a surprise attack and killed how many of them? Mat woiuld destroy Lan.

I can tell the Aussie/British difference. I cannot tell a British/South Africian difference however. Well, after prolonged discussion I can, generally due to slang words and such. But if I meet someone new, no way I can tell.

Aussie and NZ sound a lot alike. They seem to think it doesn't, and to compare a few of them asked if I would be insulted if they couldn't tell a normal US accent from the Southeren US accent. I said no I wouldnt, but I'd worry about their mental capabilities. That twang is hard to miss. But apparently to them, it's the same thing. After 10 years of listening, I still can't tell for sure.

I stand corrected. One Aiel came to his tent, he killed him. Mat for a brief seconds held off against 12 Aiel. Thus incredibly impressive. I would say Lan, Rhuarc and Rand/two handed would be able to accomplish this, but that is it. Any more than a couple of seconds, I highly doubt even Lan could win against 12 Aiel.

Of course Mat is never portatyed as the greatest warrior in WoT, that is Lan. Minus Mat's insane luck, the edge goes to Lan.

Bear in mind that Mat has difficulty with Dyelin in book 3, who is very good with the sword, but not a blademaster.

I stand corrected. One Aiel came to his tent, he killed him. Mat for a brief seconds held off against 12 Aiel. Thus incredibly impressive. I would say Lan, Rhuarc and Rand/two handed would be able to accomplish this, but that is it. Any more than a couple of seconds, I highly doubt even Lan could win against 12 Aiel.

Of course Mat is never portatyed as the greatest warrior in WoT, that is Lan. Minus Mat's insane luck, the edge goes to Lan.

Bear in mind that Mat has difficulty with Dyelin in book 3, who is very good with the sword, but not a blademaster.

Hmmm, I dont recall Mat battling Dyelin Taravin, one of those in line for the Lion Throne, in Book 3. I would think she would be hanging out with Morgase not fighting farmboys.

And in book 3, wasn't mat half dead and not fully healed from his ordeal with the dagger?

Mat may not be a badass warrior to you, but he is a farmer with a quarterstaff, and I believe Book 3 mentions that a farmer with a quarterstaff beat up some great blademaster, correct?

Of course if they were having a battle about who has the stoniest face, of course Lan would dominate.

When I think about it - mat would never take on lan 1x1, he would run and hide behind his crossbowmen.

Shouldnt the final battle be all three members of the tripod against the one badass enemy? I would think at least one scene of battle would be all three fighting together against something...

Mat swings his ashandrei, Perrin drops mallensomething on its head and rand uses the form snake enters the beaver to kill so and so.

Darlin Sisnera - high lord of tear...and it was Jearom, greatest blademaster of all time that lost to a farmer with a quarterstaff.

but wasnt matt not fully healed from his ordeal in the white tower? I pick Mat today over Lan today 9 of 10 times.

Darlin. Yes. There is no indication that Mat was not fully 100% from what I remmeber, given that it was several months after his healing.

Yes, a farmer did. Jearom is probably more of Galad's mindset, not taking a farmer seriously. Completely the opposite of what Lan would do.

Lan was already badass prior to Moraine's death, but Avienhda she called him "Death" and the most dangerous man she ever met.

Forget it, without insane luck, Mat is toast.

Darlin Sisnera - high lord of tear...and it was Jearom, greatest blademaster of all time that lost to a farmer with a quarterstaff.

but wasnt matt not fully healed from his ordeal in the white tower? I pick Mat today over Lan today 9 of 10 times.

Darlin. Yes. There is no indication that Mat was not fully 100% from what I remmeber, given that it was several months after his healing.

Yes, a farmer did. Jearom is probably more of Galad's mindset, not taking a farmer seriously. Completely the opposite of what Lan would do.

Lan was already badass prior to Moraine's death, but Avienhda she called him "Death" and the most dangerous man she ever met.

Lan never fought a gholam. Lan never defeated a gholam. And a gholam is the quickest fighter being in WoT.

Lan is the best swordsman in WoT, if not Jearom reborn (small chance of that). But Mat has proved that he is more than masterful with his Ashendari (killing Caulden in the Cairhien battle, killing the gholam, and killing the DF's in Maderin).

Actually I'm pretty sure he killed more than one, I recall him mentioning how many of his men died to finish off the rest of them.

Lan is not portrayed as the greatest warrior in WOT, he's portrayed as the greatest swordsman in WoT (Current). It's been said that a good quarterstaff will demolish a sword. Mat is not just good he's godly!

Actually he didn't have trouble wiht Darlin, he had trouble with the area he battled him in, he thought it to himself. (Not sure how many people are actually familiar with quarter-staves and such) but when you don't have room to swing, you lose a huge advantage. The fact that he held him off when he was at such a severe disadvantage, and the fact that he beat him goes to show how badass he is.

And after that point, he only got more badass, since he gained all those memories, making him even more deadly.

I have no doubt that Mat has the speed, strength, and thanks to his super memories, the skills necessary to be a great swordsman as well, he just doesn't need too.

Lan never fought a gholam. Lan never defeated a gholam. And a gholam is the quickest fighter being in WoT.

Lan is the best swordsman in WoT, if not Jearom reborn (small chance of that). But Mat has proved that he is more than masterful with his Ashendari (killing Caulden in the Cairhien battle, killing the gholam, and killing the DF's in Maderin).

The gholam is impossible to defeat with those very primitive weapons in the WoT. Mat survived due to that ter'angreal.

I would say after Moraine's death, Lan >=Jearom.

Regardless, if they were to fight to the death and minimal luck (or no luck involved) Mat is toast against Lan.

The gholam is impossible to defeat with those very primitive weapons in the WoT. Mat survived due to that ter'angreal.

I would say after Moraine's death, Lan >=Jearom.

Regardless, if they were to fight to the death and minimal luck (or no luck involved) Mat is toast against Lan.

But Lan is lucky, if you remember New Spring. That is why Merean tried to kill him in Chachin.

Archived