32 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Kill Shadar Haran?

• Rand
    • Mat
    • Perrin
    • Fain
    • A Forsaken
    • Other

I've added a poll. I was hesitant at first because I didn't know how to narrow down the choices, but the people replying focused on a small number of characters so I put them in the poll. If you vote for Other, I'd like to hear your reasons, even if it's just because you think it would make a cool scene!

I think it's Mat, and that this is foreshadowed by:

- Dance with Jak o' the Shadows

- Killing Couladin when everyone assumed Rand would have to do it

- Needing somebody cool to fight, now that the gholam is gone

But I have a feeling this isn't going to be the most popular choice! At least, I'd like to find out.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Mat is a good candidate, but only if the medallion will stop the True Power, as it would appear Shadar Haran has access to it.... If it's not Mat, my money is on "the artist formerly known as Padan Fain" (lol). Its known that he has "tricks" to deal with Fades, and when last we saw him he killed a worm just for fun... Other then those two i just cant see anyone taking him down, since he is immune to channeling or at least able to block the source from people.

Also we know Fain is headed for Shayol Ghul, cause you dont need to hunt someone when you know where they are going to be. So the odds of him meeting the super fade are pretty good.

If I had Mat's luck with gambling, I would also put an Andoran gold crown on Padan Fain. And that has its foreshadowing as well. We know that Shadar Haran is the DO's avatar on earth. And we know that part of Fain is Shadar Logoth and Moredeth. Rand cleansed the DO's taint on Saidin by pitting it against Shadar Logoth's evil. And Damer Flinn contained Rand's wound by sealing the DO's evil against Shadar Logoth's evil. The two evils seem to be in eternal conflict in WoT; and the epitome would be the two avatars killing each other.

I think Shadar Haran will fight and lose to Fain. As Fain will probably be the first to arrive at SG, and I doubt Shadar will venture far from there or I would have picked Lan since someone has to be marshalling the Shadow spawn where Lan will fight.

I think it's Rand. Shaidar Haran is not a tool of the dark one, he IS the DO. I doubt the DO could actually fully emerge from his prison, I think the farther open his prison is, the more powerful Shaidar Haran (The DO's bodily form on earth) gets. Padan Fain will attack Shaidar Haran when he tries to kill Rand giving Rand time to seal the bore and thus ending Shaidar Haran's power. By that time Shaidar Haran will have killed Fain and Rand is up in a sword battle vs a super myddraal because he burned himself out when sealing the bore together with Avi and Elayne (also burned out). Then Rand and Min will live happily ever after, Avi will create a place for the Aiel in the world and Elayne will be queen of Andor.

Mat is the only one without a destined enemy so I'm going with him. Rand has Moridin, Perrin has Slayer and Mat needs someone as well now that the Gholam is taken care of. Others have suggested he might go up against Demandred, who is likely to be the supreme general of the armies of the Shadow, but I think Demandred will be taken care of either by Logain or Narishma or both. The Asha'man still need to sharpen their own profile for the time after Rand.

Taken from another thread, a few days ago:

And to get serious for a second.

1) Mat wields a spear. Yes longer, but it's still a spear.

2) The vast majority of the spear wielders in the story call war dance.

3) Mat's theme song is what? That's right, Dance the Jak O' Shadows

4) You have a villian who channelers can't touch.

5) You already have Mat beating someone who channelrs can't touch.

Biggest foreshadowing of the series? Perhaps...

It'll be Mat. Fain doesn't have the battle skills. I mean he does most of what he does from surprise attacks, Fades are fast enough to dodge a dagger stab, Mat however, is FASTER!!!

Taken from another thread, a few days ago:

And to get serious for a second.

1) Mat wields a spear. Yes longer, but it's still a spear.

2) The vast majority of the spear wielders in the story call war dance.

3) Mat's theme song is what? That's right, Dance the Jak O' Shadows

4) You have a villian who channelers can't touch.

5) You already have Mat beating someone who channelrs can't touch.

Biggest foreshadowing of the series? Perhaps...

Very interesting. I think this is the only time Ive ever thought Mat vs Shaidar is an option, the foreshadowing is there. Good spot.

I doubt it though. I think his next target is Demandred, and Demandred wont stand a chance.

Plus I maintain that Shaidar doesnt merely block channelers with his presence; those were True Power shields.

Oh nice, I hadn't seen that post but I agree. It was mainly Slayer being alive while the gholam is dead that started me thinking about who Mat's going to fight against in the last book. But once you start thinking about it, it just seems to make sense.

I do think Fain is a better match against Shadar Haran's speed and dark powers though. Mat is lucky, but some people (myself included) think Fain has the luck too, and Fain is fast, fast, fast, which we see when he cuts Rand's side and runs off. Fain also has the only weapon that might be able to harm the Dark One, and I can see the Dark One (analogoiously) cutting off his "hand", rather than risk infection from the dagger. But Fain doesn't have Mat's theme song and suspicious lack of living opponents.

Oh nice, I hadn't seen that post but I agree. It was mainly Slayer being alive while the gholam is dead that started me thinking about who Mat's going to fight against in the last book. But once you start thinking about it, it just seems to make sense.

I do think Fain is a better match against Shadar Haran's speed and dark powers though. Mat is lucky, but some people (myself included) think Fain has the luck too, and Fain is fast, fast, fast, which we see when he cuts Rand's side and runs off. Fain also has the only weapon that might be able to harm the Dark One, and I can see the Dark One (analogoiously) cutting off his "hand", rather than risk infection from the dagger. But Fain doesn't have Mat's theme song and suspicious lack of living opponents.

Everytime you see Fain do something fast, he's jumping from the shadows though. When do you see him do something face to face and fast? He's an ambush attacked, and I doubt that'll work aganst Shadar. Mat is, Oh hey, I'm in your face, hell you actually got the jump on me but BAM, WHOOSH, ZOOM, he's gone. Mat is speed incarnate.

Perrin is the physically strong one

Rand has the mental strength

Mat is FAST.

I like the idea of Fain killing SH, and I also like him as a buffer in the bore. But I don't want to rely on him as the ultimate wild card/solution in either of these situations.

After reading this thread I was thinking of the importance of the 3 Ta'veeren. Maybe the SH battle is where this will come into play.

Perrin has his new hammer, And Wolves will do anything to bring down a neverborn. Even allow themselves to be killed.

Mat's luck, foxhead and spear (a spear that has always been wielded, never thrown to my memory) may be useful against SH.

Rands missing hand IMHO makes him vulnerable in a hand to hand fight. If confronted in a traditional hand to hand 'fight', pardon my zinger, he can't face this foe unaided.

My theory is that it will take Perrin and Mat together to defeat SH.

I like the idea of Fain killing SH, and I also like him as a buffer in the bore. But I don't want to rely on him as the ultimate wild card/solution in either of these situations.

After reading this thread I was thinking of the importance of the 3 Ta'veeren. Maybe the SH battle is where this will come into play.

Perrin has his new hammer, And Wolves will do anything to bring down a neverborn. Even allow themselves to be killed.

Mat's luck, foxhead and spear (a spear that has always been wielded, never thrown to my memory) may be useful against SH.

Rands missing hand IMHO makes him vulnerable in a hand to hand fight. If confronted in a traditional hand to hand 'fight', pardon my zinger, he can't face this foe unaided.

My theory is that it will take Perrin and Mat together to defeat SH.

Mat threw the ashandarei at the Gholam in ToM.... Just saying :p

i proposed before that we could see a showdown between fain and SH and it could lead to the two absorbing each other and becoming something new...i don't see it as too possible but the more i think about it the more i like it, probably has something to do with it being my idea lol

Where does that pic come from Toot? I've been trying to place it for weeks :blush:

As to who will kill SH, the idea of Mat is growing on me, for the reasons mentioned above. I can't see Mat facing Demandred, who has a personal vendetta against Rand and I think that frustration will make him snap and ultimately be his undoing when he attacks Rand.

Edit: see bold bits. Reason: to be clearer.

Where does that pic come from Toot? I've been trying to place it for weeks :blush:

As to who will kill SH, the idea of Mat is growing on me, for the reasons mentioned above. I can't see Mat facing Demandred, who has a personal vendetta against Rand and I think that frustration will make him snap and ultimately be his undoing when he attacks Rand.

Edit: see bold bits. Reason: to be clearer.

The Goonies!!! Duh, lol.

It's going to be Mat. Not from any foreshadowing (I actually don't believe in foreshadowing, I've argued with many a Lit teacher about it, I think people read too deeply into things sometimes, and what they come up with as foreshadowing is just coincidence, but I know it does happen sometimes), I just believe he's the one to do it. He has what it takes, and the skill. Who else is there?

As to the True Power shield, why would that shield be different. They all describe it as if the source has ceased to exist.

Never watched 'em but thanks. Maybe it's a girl thing.

One of my best friends is a girl and loves it. As does my twin sister. It may just be one you never got to watch as a kid, IDK. Are you from the US? I hope my DUh didn't insult you, I was jesting.

No insult taken, I assure you. I've told you recently (inadvertently and not directly) about one particular post of yours that I thought could be construed as rude and we have had many pleasant discussions since then so no grudges OK, it takes a bit to insult me, I'm all Aussie after all. :wink:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and maybe I did miss out on the Goonies. Is it suitable for a 10 and 12 year old? I'm not too strict on action but I draw the line at sexual adult themes.

Edited to add: "of yours"

Mat is toast against SH. Even against Lan, Mat would need insane luck to win. Insane luck will be insufficeint against a thing such as SH.

True Power, SH can change shape...which may imply he is not entirely a corporeal being. If none corporeal, Mat's weapons will have no affect.

WoT is about balance: Creator/Shai'tan, saidin/saidar, men stronger/women can link, LTT/Ishamael, Taint/Mashadar....SH/Fain.

Given this, I think a possible double KO: SH vs. Fain.

I think its being overlooked that Fain has Mashadar flowing from him now, and has some kind of control over Shadowspawn. He may not be able to use the control aspects on SH, but the idea that he was able to nail a Fade to a wall/door seems to say he has some further abilities that really haven't been divulged to us.

Yes, his physical attack on Rand was in the fog, but I don't see the battle between Shadar Haran and Fain as a Sword to Dagger showdown at all. I see more a point counter point with their mystical abilities, with Fain getting the upper hand because no one understands his power or how strong he is.

For the longest time I've had Perrin in my head for this, I think no more than I like the imagery created in tDR during the fight at the beginning in the mountains of mist with: "the black-clad Neverborn turned like a thing of the night, but night was where brothers and sister hunted"

Always loved the imagery that gave of wolves v. myrdraal.

That being said, obviously a week connection. There are others with claims to SH's head--Graendal, Moghedien (which would disapoint me unless done very well) Fain....

Archived