DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Alanna?

Actually we know that for a fact.

Robert Jordan

RJ said that a channeler can hide strength as well as ability to channel, but added that 1) few people know how to do it, and 2) the Aes Sedai don't even know these tricks are possible.

And of course, we know it too because Mesaana did it - she successfully posed as Danelle, which meant having to appear weaker than she actually is. I guess I was just saying that since we've known for a long time that they can hide the ability to channel completely (Lanfear in the early books), it shouldn't be surprising that they can hide only a portion of their strength as well.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert Jordan

RJ said that a channeler can hide strength as well as ability to channel, but added that 1) few people know how to do it, and 2) the Aes Sedai don't even know these tricks are possible.

And of course, we know it too because Mesaana did it - she successfully posed as Danelle, which meant having to appear weaker than she actually is. I guess I was just saying that since we've known for a long time that they can hide the ability to channel completely (Lanfear in the early books), it shouldn't be surprising that they can hide only a portion of their strength as well.

Yea sorry, Mesaana. My bad.

Oh i know she could, it just seemed like an odd weave. IDK, I guess my mind couldn't wrap itself around hiding your strength partially. (Still has issues with it actually)

Robert Jordan

Yea sorry, Mesaana. My bad.

Oh i know she could, it just seemed like an odd weave. IDK, I guess my mind couldn't wrap itself around hiding your strength partially. (Still has issues with it actually)

We first see it when Lanfear disguises herself as Else, so its been around since tGH--that's pretty solid canon.

We first see it when Lanfear disguises herself as Else, so its been around since tGH--that's pretty solid canon.

The girls hadn't learned to sense ability at that point.

They didn't learn until book 4.

However, the rest of the White Tower knows how to.

Lanfear couldn't have disguised herself as Else without reducing her apparent power level. We know she did this because Lanfear wasn't caught out by the Aes Sedai. She couldn't have hidden her ability completely, because Else could channel, thus, she reduced the power people could sense.

Not sure what is hard to understand about it? Not trying to be rude, but what part is difficult, so it might be better explained?

The girls hadn't learned to sense ability at that point.

They didn't learn until book 4.

However, the rest of the White Tower knows how to.

Lanfear couldn't have disguised herself as Else without reducing her apparent power level. We know she did this because Lanfear wasn't caught out by the Aes Sedai. She couldn't have hidden her ability completely, because Else could channel, thus, she reduced the power people could sense.

Not sure what is hard to understand about it? Not trying to be rude, but what part is difficult, so it might be better explained?

We don't know if anyone else ever saw Else besides them, and Mat. I always pictured her vanishing around corners once she left their presense.

Anyway, in response to your question, idk. Just seems like a really, particular ability to be used for 1 situation. (I'll admit the Else thing is plausible, but I never considered it because in my mind it was explained in other ways). The wonder girls never thought to ask Moggy on screen?

I guess as I imagine it in my head, I think, ok totally hiding the fact that you can channel, makes perfect sense. It's a weave that makes it undetectable. But how do you adjust how much potential power you can hold? They're not seeing how much power you are holding, like the men see, but they can see how much power you will ever be able to hold. They're never wrong when they see it, so it doesn't seem like something that can be partially hidden to me.

Did that make sense? (I know you're not trying to be rude)

Yeah, fair enough, I understand. It does seem like a peculiar thing.

I couldn't say for certain about who saw Lanfear, but i find it hard to believe that she didn't run into ANY Aes Sedai. Having said that, I think you may be correct. IIRC, Sheriam or Suian said that Else had run away before then, so it would be strange that nobody mentioned it, if she was sighted. But then, who knows how many Aes Sedai pay that much attention to things like this? Sheriam would have known because she was MoN, and Suian because she is Amyrlin, but the whole tower?

Anyway, despite that situation it has been confirmed.

The only way that I could explain it would be that it may be similar to drawing the power. You don't immediately draw as much power as you can, you can draw only a small bit, or your full potential, even strain and try to go over. That being the case, I don't see why you couldn't repress your strength (to other channelers) in a similar way.

Other than that though, no explanation, I suppose it is a matter of what you believe is likely.

For the record, Aes Sedai have learned how to mask their ability as of KoD: A Wooden Box (When Rand goes to meet Semirhage and loses his hand). Nynaeve and Cadsuane did it and Rand is irritated by it.

Is it possible that Cads had something to do with Allana's break out? I don't have a hard copy of the book to reference, but do any of her statements say outright that she had no knowledge of this(Allana leaving Tear)? With the oaths in place, it would have to be a pretty straight forward statement. Quotes anyone?

For the record, Aes Sedai have learned how to mask their ability as of KoD: A Wooden Box (When Rand goes to meet Semirhage and loses his hand). Nynaeve and Cadsuane did it and Rand is irritated by it.

Is it possible that Cads had something to do with Allana's break out? I don't have a hard copy of the book to reference, but do any of her statements say outright that she had no knowledge of this(Allana leaving Tear)? With the oaths in place, it would have to be a pretty straight forward statement. Quotes anyone?

Towers of Midnight: (12) An Empty Ink Bottle

"Alanna is gone," Sarene continued, unruffled. "Vanished right from her chambers. The Defenders, they didn't see her go, and there was no sign of a gateway."

"Oh. Well, let's go then." Nynaeve bustled out of the chamber.

"And I'm telling you that I felt nothing," Corele said. She smiled, tapping the side of her nose. "I don't know how she got out. Unless you think she somehow invented flying—which I daresay wouldn't be outside reason, considering some of what has occurred lately."

Fool woman, Cadsuane thought, leveling a flat stare at Corele. The woman's flippancy was preferable to the self-importance of some other Aes Sedai, but today Cadsuane hadn't the patience for it.

The Yellow shrugged, still smiling, but said nothing further. Cadsuane placed hands on hips, surveying the small chamber. Room for a trunk to hold clothing, a cot for sleeping and a desk. Cadsuane would have expected an Aes Sedai to demand more, even in Tear. Of course, Alanna didn't often reveal her intimate connection to the Dragon. Most didn't know of it.

Two other Aes Sedai—Rafela Cindal and Bera Harkin—stood at the side of the room. Bera said she'd felt Alanna channeling, but nothing demanding. Certainly not enough to create a gateway.

Burn that woman! Cadsuane had thought Alanna well in hand, despite recent stubbornness. She'd obviously slipped out intentionally. The clothing from the trunk was gone and the writing desk was mostly bare. Only an empty ink bottle remained.

"She said nothing to you?" Cadsuane said.

"No, Cadsuane Sedai," Bera replied. "We haven't spoken more than passing words in weeks. I . . . well, I did often hear weeping in her room."

"What is all the fuss about? a new voice said. Cadsuane glanced at the doorway as Nynaeve arrived and met Cadsuane's stare. "She's only one person, and so far as I understand, she was free to leave when she wished."

"Phaw," Cadsuane said. "The girl isn't 'only one person.' She's a tool. An important one." She reached over to the desk, holding up a sheet of paper that they'd found in the room. It had been folded with a blood-red seal of wax on one side. "Do you recognize this?"

Nynaeve frowned. "No. Should I?"

Lying or truthful? Cadsuane hated not being able to trust the words of someone who called herself an Aes Sedai. But Nynaeve al'Meara had never held the Oath Rod.

Those eyes looked genuinely confused. Nynaeve should be trustworthy; she prided herself on her honesty. Unless that was a front. Unless she was Black.

Careful, she thought. You'll end up as distrustful as the boy is. Nynaeve hadn't given Alanna the note, which eliminated her last good theory on its origin.

"So, what is it, Cadsuane Sedai?" Nynaeve demanded. At least she used the honorific; Cadsuane nearly chided the girl for her tone. But, truth be told, she felt as frustrated as Nynaeve did. There were times when such emotions were justified. Facing the end of the world with the Dragon Reborn completely out of control was one of them.

"I'm not sure," Cadsuane said. "The letter was opened in haste—the paper was torn. It was dropped on the floor, and the note inside taken, along with clothing and emergency items."

"But why does it matter?" Nynaeve asked. Behind her, Min slipped into the room, two Maidens taking up positions by the door. Had Min yet figured out the real reason the Aiel trailed her?

"Because, Nynaeve," Min said. "She is a pathway to him."

Nynaeve sniffed. "She's been no more helpful than you, Min."

"As persuasive as you can be, Nynaeve," Cadsuane said dryly, "the Shadow has means to make people more forthcoming."

Nynaeve blushed furiously, then began muttering under her breath. Alanna could point the way to the Dragon Reborn. If agents of the Dark One had taken her, there would be no hiding Rand from them. Their traps had been deadly enough when they'd needed to coax and lure him into them.

"We've been fools," Nynaeve said. "There should have been a hundred Maidens guarding her."

"The Forsaken have known where to find him before," Cadsuane said, though inwardly she agreed. She should have seen Alanna better watched. "And he has survived. This is simply one more thing to be aware of." She sighed. "Can someone bring us some tea?"

Bera was actually the one who went to fetch it, though Cadsuane hadn't taken any care to cultivate influence with the woman. Well, a reputation was worth something, it appeared.

Bera returned shortly; Cadsuane had stepped out into the hall to think. She accepted the cup and braced herself for the tea's bitter taste—she'd asked for it partially because she needed a moment to think, and an empty-handed woman often looked nervous.

She raised the cup to her lips. What next? Ask the Defenders at the gate of the Stone? Last night, Alanna—after being prodded—had confirmed that al'Thor was still in the same place. Up north, Andor perhaps. For three days. What was the fool boy—

Cadsuane froze. The tea tasted good.

Why does Corele smile and tap her nose...

Why does Corele smile and tap her nose...

Could just be because she found her "maybe she could just fly" comment funny. Smiling before she said the joke.

This. Or it could be what Cadsuane said in paragraph 4 of the quote. Corele is flippant. And that would be the least of her reactions if she was guarding Alanna's door and Alanna sneaks out from under her nose. But that is just my take on it; and I am not aware of any previous discussion on Corele helping Alanna escape. If there is a theory or discussion, maybe the experts can refer us to it.

I wonder if Alanna did get captured. This is one of the more interesting sub plots to me just because of what it could possibly entail, especially since Verin is involved, and whatever that note said put the fire in Alanna immediately. But iirc didn't Rand say in ToM that all the dark's eyes are upon him? If that is the case then how do they know such a thing? Could it be possible that they got Alanna and she is being forced to tell his whereabouts?

I don't know - if you take the story on its face - Verin was a good guy. Her sending Verin somewhere shouldn't be anything to worry about. Did she know about their link?

Verin knew about the bonding. She was there when it happened.

We don't know if anyone else ever saw Else besides them, and Mat. I always pictured her vanishing around corners once she left their presense.

Yet Mat encountered her by chance, as she clearly wasn't happy about it, which means that she was wandering the Tower grounds, not only appearing in specific places with specific purposes. Thus the chance that she didn't walk near enough for an Aes Sedai to sense her strength is negligible.

I don't know - if you take the story on its face - Verin was a good guy. Her sending Verin somewhere shouldn't be anything to worry about. Did she know about their link?

Verin knew about the bonding. She was there when it happened.

Loads of AS including at least two blacks (Elza and Fera) apart from Verin knew about it. Plus WOs - they asked Cadsuane how they could discipline Alanna without harming Rand

It would be reasonable to assume that the Chosen know about it.

I hope she is kicking some shadowspawn ass in Arafel. I hope Kiruna is there too defending her homeland.

+1

Kiruna is rad. Always liked how Perrin described her kicking ass at Dumai's Wells. AS the sister of a borderland King she has spent a good deal of time fighting in the blight. She is one of the better Greens and I hope we get to see more of her too.

He described her as "Queen of Battle(s)," which was awesome. But since then, she's been learning "humility" and self control. Sorilea says that she can become a great woman; and I would love to see it in AMoL.

On my latest reread (I'm almost finished aCoS on my pre aMoL reread!), I loved Perrin's description of Kiruna kicking ass and taking names at Dumai's Wells; I don't think it stood out to me as much in previous rereads. She was just striding through the battlefield unleashing hell. Hopefully her "talks" with Sorilea make her even more badass.

plus while verin is a good guy and a total badass, she did bad things, all off screen, but she admitted to doing bad bad things. You can't be a sidelines darkfriend.

Yeah, here is what she says in "A Visit from Verin Sedai":

Verin laughed. "Redemption? I should think that wouldn't be so easily earned. Light knows I've done enough to require a very special kind of redemption. But it was worth the cost. Worth it indeed. Or perhaps that is simply what I must tell myself."

Archived