DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Alanna?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe i missed this in another discussion, but what happened to her? No really...besides disappearing from where ever she was with Cadsuane? Is she black like Verin...thats why she fled? Wouldn't Rand be able to tell that fact?

She received a letter from Verin and headed to the Borderlands, Rand thought Arafel perhaps. She left before Rand could sense DFs and who knows if he would have know the difference back when he was first bonded.

I don't think Alanna is Black. Verin would have known if she was and put it in her book for Egwene. I don't see Verin missing that after how long they were together heading to and from the Two Rivers. Was Alanna one of those who Min saw "in Rand's hand"?

Maybe i missed this in another discussion, but what happened to her? No really...besides disappearing from where ever she was with Cadsuane? Is she black like Verin...thats why she fled? Wouldn't Rand be able to tell that fact?

She received a letter from Verin and headed to the Borderlands, Rand thought Arafel perhaps. She left before Rand could sense DFs and who knows if he would have know the difference back when he was first bonded.

Yeah...so can one of you people with all the spoiler info toss me a bone here and tell me why she went to the Badlands? I know its just a guess at this time, but isnt this one of those loose ends that needs to be tied up somehow?

I've always had my doubts about Alanna. Verin admitted to Egwene that she would have missed a few, and she did warn Perrin about her early on. Egwene also thinks her a bit odd which Sheriam explains away, another hint maybe?

Alanna was one of those in Min's viewing.

I can't remember if any of the D'stang'd Aes Sedai were written definitavely as Black besides Elza and Sashalle. (Ref: her letter to Galina that Tsutama reads to Pevara and Javindra? before the Seanchan raid on the WT. Sashalle sounded crazy to the Red Sitters by talking about swearing the Oaths again ASAP and still being loyal to the head of the Blacks. I don't think she would have been so concerned about it if she isn't.) Why would Verin compel the others and need a reason for them to support Rand if they aren't Blacks, if they weren't I don't think Verin would have bothered. She was taking huge risks so she wasn't going to waste her energies on Sisters she saw as no threat.

As for what Alanna was/is doing in Arafel I don't know. The only link I can think of is that she comes from there and went back to help defend it if she is not Black or if Verin placed Compulsion on her too. It's only my speculation, not spoiler fact.

Yeah...so can one of you people with all the spoiler info toss me a bone here and tell me why she went to the Badlands? I know its just a guess at this time, but isnt this one of those loose ends that needs to be tied up somehow?

How far have you read? It is common knowledge if you have read Towers of Midnight. If you haven't, and you want to avoid spoilers, I say don't read any responses here, and Read and Find Out.

We know nothing about why Alanna disappeared. Only that it was after opening a letter from Verin and that she is somewhere in the Borderlands, likely Arafel (her own nation, as it happens)

@bcspeer Verin wouldn't have put her name on the list for one very good reason. Egwene doesn't know that Alanna is bonded to Rand. If Alanna somehow wound up being captured by Aes Sedai, she would be executed.

This would not be received well.

I've always had my doubts about Alanna. Verin admitted to Egwene that she would have missed a few, and she did warn Perrin about her early on. Egwene also thinks her a bit odd which Sheriam explains away, another hint maybe?

I can't remember if any of the D'stang'd Aes Sedai were written definitavely as Black besides Elza and Sashalle. (Ref: her letter to Galina that Tsutama reads to Pevara and Javindra? before the Seanchan raid on the WT. Sashalle sounded crazy to the Red Sitters by talking about swearing the Oaths again ASAP and still being loyal to the head of the Blacks. I don't think she would have been so concerned about it if she isn't.) Why would Verin compel the others and need a reason for them to support Rand if they aren't Blacks, if they weren't I don't think Verin would have bothered. She was taking huge risks so she wasn't going to waste her energies on Sisters she saw as no threat.

As for what Alanna was/is doing in Arafel I don't know. The only link I can think of is that she comes from there and went back to help defend it if she is not Black or if Verin placed Compulsion on her too. It's only my speculation, not spoiler fact.

Sashelle wasn't the second BA in those sworn to Rand. I don't remember her name; but I think it started with an "F." (Felane!!). I have to go back and check.

Edit: Here is the name of the second BA bonded to Rand: Nalaene Forrell

Sashalle was too, or at least I'm 95% sure of it. I didn't catch Nalaene or I forgot about her. Look up the bit about the letter I mentioned and let me know what you think after. I've got to look up Nalaene and check which other ones Verin compelled. I'm not up to there on the audio books yet (I'm giving them a go for a change).

@Barid: I've heard that before (bond/death consequences) and agreed with it but it totally slipped my mind, again. Good call. :rolleyes:

It's still dangerous for Verin to have sent her to Arafel/Borderlands though, with what's going on up there Alanna's an easy target and back door to Rand. It makes me think that Verin did compel her, but did Verin slip up or was she just aiding what was necessary? Or did she have no choice? Interesting...

Sashalle was too, or at least I'm 95% sure of it. I didn't catch Nalaene or I forgot about her. Look up the bit about the letter I mentioned and let me know what you think after. I've got to look up Nalaene and check which other ones Verin compelled. I'm not up to there on the audio books yet (I'm giving them a go for a change).

@Barid: I've heard that before (bond/death consequences) and agreed with it but it totally slipped my mind, again. Good call. :rolleyes:

It's still dangerous for Verin to have sent her to Arafel/Borderlands though, with what's going on up there Alanna's an easy target and back door to Rand. It makes me think that Verin did compel her, but did Verin slip up or was she just aiding what was necessary? Or did she have no choice? Interesting...

No, Sashelle isn't Black. Tsutama and co thought she sounded insane about reswearing the oaths and whatnot because they weren't aware being stilled released you from the oaths. Remember, Suian and Leane kept that knowledge to themselves and used it to manipulate the Salidar Aes Sedai so it's not exactly common knowledge.

as a side note, I've always figured Alanna would be Ilyena Sunhair reborn. VOG reinforced this for me, but TOM didn't have any development on it.

Why would Allana be Ilyena reborn? Just because the names are similar? If any character was a candidate for that it would be Elayne.

How far have you read? It is common knowledge if you have read Towers of Midnight. If you haven't, and you want to avoid spoilers, I say don't read any responses here, and Read and Find Out.

We know nothing about why Alanna disappeared. Only that it was after opening a letter from Verin and that she is somewhere in the Borderlands, likely Arafel (her own nation, as it happens)

@bcspeer Verin wouldn't have put her name on the list for one very good reason. Egwene doesn't know that Alanna is bonded to Rand. If Alanna somehow wound up being captured by Aes Sedai, she would be executed.

This would not be received well.

Hey mate please refrain from the personal attacks on my reading of duh buks. Sorry I don't speak the lingo but yeah no where in the books does it say "Alanna is here and is doing this...". Or did I miss that?

Isn't this forum the place to discuss where why stuff could happen etc? Or can only real things be posted? Golly. Sorry to offend.

Dorky dorks get real brave when anonymously posting stuff on the web. Am I gonna get censured for that comment? if I don't I'm surprised. But that last reply to my innocent question was just darn offensive to me. Shucks.

Hey mate please refrain from the personal attacks on my reading of duh buks. Sorry I don't speak the lingo but yeah no where in the books does it say "Alanna is here and is doing this...". Or did I miss that?

Isn't this forum the place to discuss where why stuff could happen etc? Or can only real things be posted? Golly. Sorry to offend.

Dorky dorks get real brave when anonymously posting stuff on the web. Am I gonna get censured for that comment? if I don't I'm surprised. But that last reply to my innocent question was just darn offensive to me. Shucks.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I was unsure what you had read, and advised you, to avoid potential spoilers, to refrain from reading the answers that gave away things in a later book.

I have no idea why you found my comment offensive, but I apologize if it was seen as such. It was not intended to sound that way. I was giving advice so the plot wasn't spoiled for you. The scene is not something you can miss, a whole chapter is dedicated to the subject, so I had thought you had not read the part yet. If you simply forgot, my apologies for assuming so, an honest mistake.

As for lashing out at people, nobody knows anyone's personal circumstances, personal attacks are silly, if you are offended, by all means say so, but I would avoid lashing out with offensive comments, it is a good way to get banned. It is simply a misunderstanding here, so I won't report you or anything, just something to watch out for to avoid future conflict. We are here because we love the Wheel of Time, we are all friends here.

Edit: (edited while reply was being typed.)

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I was unsure what you had read, and advised you, to avoid potential spoilers, to refrain from reading the answers that gave away things in a later book.

descen

You may want to read properly before commenting.

Ok let me spake Australian: fosters?

anyway sorry for being ignorant that a spoiler forum gives away info on stuff. I was just a dumb yank. Thanks for educating me, must have Gud schools.

I won't reply anymore and will stay away as to not bother anyone with my views.

But...

1. Please read carefully and comprehend what I wrote. I ask if Alanna is black like verin and if rand could tell if she was a df.

Now tell me....(but unfortunately I won't read the reply for several weeks haha)...in what book does rand get his DF hunting skill? Book 1 or 2. I have to retread those to see what I must have missed.

But maybe I was too subtle or just because I'm an ignorant yank no one gets me.

Again, you misunderstand.

All I was saying was that if you wanted to avoid spoilers, don't read this part. I obviously misread the comment, I am not sure what your problem is.

Why bring up your nationality? It is pointless. If you have some problem with your heritage, that is not my fault. I said nothing about Americans, Australian's or other peoples.

I really have no idea why you are angry. There was a misinterpretation of posts, that is all. I misread, you misread. End of story.

Moving on, as mentioned, Alanna is thought to be in Arafel, by Rand. We don't know enough about the "DF detector" ability to say whether Rand has knowledge of Alanna being/not being Black.

One of the reasons for Verin's letter COULD have been to tell Alanna to flee, but it wouldn't make sense. Verin had no way of knowing Rand would develop some kind of DF detector power.

Most likely, whether or not Alanna is black, Verin either 1) Told her that she had given BA book to Egwene, and that she should be careful (as other DF's of her Heart may betray her) or she was sent to do something, like the Letter to Mat, a task to stop the Shadow's plans.

Would Rand know if she was a DF if he was face to face? Probably. Even if the DF detector isn't actually a real power, he could question her and feel the truth through the bond.

But at this point it is anyone's guess.

Joeron, Barid wasn't trying to be insulting or dismissive--he was actually just trying to help, on the chance you might not want to be spoiled anything. Clearly that doesn't bother you, so lets all move forward shall we.

Back on topic, I've suggested in the past that maybe Verin sent Alanna after Luc. He is, after all, the one big loose thread she left behind, and its quite clear that she did identify him during tSR, and furthermore Alanna would be capable of recognizing him, and thus make a good choice if she is not Black, and I don't think she is Black for the simple reason that Verin would have taken steps to deal with the problem if she were.

Of additional interest, in regards to Alanna going to the borderlands specifically, note that Verin called out Luc as having a borderland sounding last name, which seems to perturb Luc, afterwhich he claims its murandian--but the fact that he wigged a little does feel suggestive (it may, admittedly, just be a reaction to an Aes Sedai expressing specific interest in his cover story, but still).

From there, Slayer does state that his existence is known to Darkfriends, and that before the Chosen got free his services were begged--which means information is out there for Darkfriends to find.

So, word of Slayer is out there in Darkfriend circles. Then we have Verin, studious, thorough Verin, who is studying the Shadow as a whole, but also had specific reason in the form of Dark Prophecy to investigate Luc and Isam. Then, when she meets Luc, she makes a comment connecting him to the Borderlands--a comment that visible rocks Luc, and which he immediately distances himself from, and from a woman whose most casual comments have a specific purpose. Then Verin leaves a Lets-Screw-Over-The-Shadow memo for the one Aes Sedai who could recognise Luc, who by this stage is her one remaining loose end, sending her to the Borderlands.

It's circumstantial, obviously, but it also explains why Brandon/RJ had Slayer survive even though Perrin killing him in TofM would have been very satisfying--to give sneaky Verin one last slap at the Shadow.

EDIT:

Sashelle wasn't the second BA in those sworn to Rand. I don't remember her name; but I think it started with an "F." (Felane!!). I have to go back and check.

The 'second' Black was Fera, at least thats how she was spoken of. Elza and Fera. Then in tGS we learned of a third, Nalaene.

Sashalle has never been named as a Darkfriend, and I suspect the reason the connection was made was around the same time Elza revealed Fera as Black, Samitsu was complaining to Cadsuane about Sashalle.

Luckers, I would think Luc would be rocked by the concept that ANY Aes Sedai would realize Luc the malkieri was still alive and he was very quick to try to avoid that path.

The world thinks baby Luc died in the blight. He doesn't want people realizing that he's still alive and quite firmly in the arms of the shadow.

The 'second' Black was Fera, at least thats how she was spoken of. Elza and Fera. Then in tGS we learned of a third, Nalaene.

Sashalle has never been named as a Darkfriend, and I suspect the reason the connection was made was around the same time Elza revealed Fera as Black, Samitsu was complaining to Cadsuane about Sashalle.

I know she wasn't named, I said I'm 95% sure because of that letter. It is my opionion but I wonder, why would she care so much that Galina would be upset about the oaths? If Sashalle weren't Black she would probably think it an advantage and keep it to herself like Siuan and Leanne as you mentoned. My point is, that only the Dark One (or his BA rep/head honcho) would care that the oaths were broken by her stilling. Galina is/was the head of the BA and knows (in fact all BA do) that the oaths can be removed and that they are replaced by a black trinity. The DO is harsh on even suspected betrayal, I see it like she wants to reassure and get Galina to protect her.

New thought: How high is Sashalle to know Galina? Council? Was she on Verin's list?

Oo what damage she can do (rubs hands)

I don't think there's enough evidence to tell us one way or another why Alanna went, because we don't know if Verin's letter to her was acting of the BA and something Verin was commanded to do, or if it was part of her final days acts of good for the Light. The difference between those two would change the reason she's there tremendously. Personally, I think Alanna still has a big role to serve as the first AS to bond Rand.

Luckers, I would think Luc would be rocked by the concept that ANY Aes Sedai would realize Luc the malkieri was still alive and he was very quick to try to avoid that path.

The world thinks baby Luc died in the blight. He doesn't want people realizing that he's still alive and quite firmly in the arms of the shadow.

Isam.

@Luckers,

I'm not on board with the idea that Alanna was sent to investigate Slayer, but I'm not particularly against it either. What I don't understand is WHY Verin would send her to Arafel. I feel fairly certain that Verin managed to piece together her experience with Luc in TSR and the Dark Prophecy from TGH and know the Luc/Isam connection. Perhaps she did not know Isam, and sent her to investigate Arafel, but I would imagine the name was known to her.

I find it more likely that she Alanna was sent to fetch something. The Horn of Valere, perhaps. It was hidden where only Siuann and Verin know, and the last time. Verin hadn't seen Siuan since early in TDR, so maybe she sent Alanna after it.

These are the only 2 scenarios I can see that would lead Verin to send Alanna off to Arafel, and I will admit that Luc giving a borderland House name in TSR is a better link than an unknown hiding place of the Horn of Valere (besides, all indications are that the Horn is in the Tower, though it is not confirmed).

Does anyone else have a pet theory?

@Elci, Verin's warning to Perrin about Alanna was concerning the threat of her bonding him - as she did Rand - rather than a DF threat (as far as we know)

Furthermore, I seem to recall Egwene being surprised at Alanna not being in the book - based on her paranoia of her in tGH.

@Luckers, wow, this is the first I've heard of this theory - Verin and Alanna being in the Two Rivers to study Slayer - and I like it a lot! I suppose she could have also studied Ordeith (from a distance) and Perrin as well. It's a shame that she died, I'm dying to find out more about Slayer. One thing that I missed though, why exactly would Alanna recognize Luc?

@TreeJoe, Isam is the Malkieri, Luc is the Andoran. Unless I'm mistaken, Slayer is Luc in the waking world and Isam in TAR. The dreamwalkers recall seeing a man who looks like Lan in TAR, but I think Verin was the only one who knew his true identity - from the dark prophecy in tGH ( http://encyclopaedia...ecies/dark.html )

@Barid, execution brings up some good questions. If Alanna dies, does Rand go with her? We know that in a mono-bond, a woman can survive the other's death, but a man cannot (unless the bond is passed on). What if the man (Rand) is bonded to 4 women?

For the record, I personally don't think Alanna is BA, but I'm open for discussion :)

@Elci, Verin's warning to Perrin about Alanna was concerning the threat of her bonding him - as she did Rand - rather than a DF threat (as far as we know)

Furthermore, I seem to recall Egwene being surprised at Alanna not being in the book - based on her paranoia of her in tGH.

@Luckers, wow, this is the first I've heard of this theory - Verin and Alanna being in the Two Rivers to study Slayer - and I like it a lot! I suppose she could have also studied Ordeith (from a distance) and Perrin as well. It's a shame that she died, I'm dying to find out more about Slayer. One thing that I missed though, why exactly would Alanna recognize Luc?

@TreeJoe, Isam is the Malkieri, Luc is the Andoran. Unless I'm mistaken, Slayer is Luc in the waking world and Isam in TAR. The dreamwalkers recall seeing a man who looks like Lan in TAR, but I think Verin was the only one who knew his true identity - from the dark prophecy in tGH ( http://encyclopaedia...ecies/dark.html )

Alanna would recognize Luc now, because she saw him in TSR. I don't think Luckers was implying that Verin and Alanna's initial trip to the Two Rivers was to investigate Slayer, but that she sent Alanna to Arafel to investigate him.

Edit: Also, Slayer can choose his appearance any time he enters or leaves the Dream World. I don't have the link, but it should be on his character page at the EWOT.

as a side note, I've always figured Alanna would be Ilyena Sunhair reborn. VOG reinforced this for me, but TOM didn't have any development on it.

Why would Allana be Ilyena reborn? Just because the names are similar? If any character was a candidate for that it would be Elayne.

Sure why not? I like Allana because shes flown under the radar for the most part recently. Elayne would probably leap to mind right away in VOG with the realization. Allana might too but shes not been important or worth considering to Rand for a while.

I don't think Alanna was black because she seems to genuinely care for Rand. But we have no Alanna POVs so this is open.

I do think, given that Verin and she spent so much quality time together,Verin would know about her for sure.

The BA and DF in general have special signals to id each other (Galina- Katerine and also Hailma-Delana).

Egwene would remember if Alanna was mentioned because Egwene has a special connection with Alanna (Alanna was key to her testing and did some of her early training as well) - much more than some of the BA names she reacts to.

However if Alanna is BA, Verin may deliberately not mention it to Egwene because of the reason Barid suggested.

Would she mention it to Rand? One doesn't know, given that those letters were unprotected, uncoded and could be opened and read by anyone.

Alanna is from Arafel and impulsive - she may have shot off there if Verin told her about the coming Invasion.

She might also have been tasked to check out Luc, which is a nice idea.

BTW why did Luc react to the Borderland remark? He's an Andorman and presumably speaks with a mid-WoT accent

Isam is the Borderlander.

Archived