DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Alanna?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope she is kicking some shadowspawn ass in Arafel. I hope Kiruna is there too defending her homeland.

+1

Kiruna is rad. Always liked how Perrin described her kicking ass at Dumai's Wells. AS the sister of a borderland King she has spent a good deal of time fighting in the blight. She is one of the better Greens and I hope we get to see more of her too.

If someone else opened a gateway from a distance to inside her room, would that be felt? I don't know who her accomplice in a break out would be, but it might explain things.

I think it would be felt. Rahvin apparently felt Rand gate into Caemlyn. But I can't think of any instances with a saidar gateway off the top of my head.

I hope she is kicking some shadowspawn ass in Arafel. I hope Kiruna is there too defending her homeland.

+1

Kiruna is rad. Always liked how Perrin described her kicking ass at Dumai's Wells. AS the sister of a borderland King she has spent a good deal of time fighting in the blight. She is one of the better Greens and I hope we get to see more of her too.

He described her as "Queen of Battle(s)," which was awesome. But since then, she's been learning "humility" and self control. Sorilea says that she can become a great woman; and I would love to see it in AMoL.

If someone else opened a gateway from a distance to inside her room, would that be felt? I don't know who her accomplice in a break out would be, but it might explain things.

I think it would be felt. Rahvin apparently felt Rand gate into Caemlyn. But I can't think of any instances with a saidar gateway off the top of my head.

Didn't Ravhin have Caemlyn warded though?

We don't know - I thought so, but upon further review I found that I was mixing my memories of Rahvin in Caemlyn with Rand's speculation about Sammael in Illian.

But Asmodean definitely warns Rand that if he comes out too close to Rahvin, Rahvin will feel it. This is while they're Skimming toward Caemlyn in TFoH chapter 54.

Again, I can't remember any specific instances of a female channeler feeling a gateway woven of saidar, but it would fit the pattern, I think.

We don't know - I thought so, but upon further review I found that I was mixing my memories of Rahvin in Caemlyn with Rand's speculation about Sammael in Illian.

But Asmodean definitely warns Rand that if he comes out too close to Rahvin, Rahvin will feel it. This is while they're Skimming toward Caemlyn in TFoH chapter 54.

Again, I can't remember any specific instances of a female channeler feeling a gateway woven of saidar, but it would fit the pattern, I think.

It says he had Caemlyn warded somewhere near the end of the book. According to Asmo, they skimmed far enough away from the throne room not to be detected.

It says he had Caemlyn warded somewhere near the end of the book. According to Asmo, they skimmed far enough away from the throne room not to be detected.

Can you find that quote? I thought I remembered that too, so I looked for it yesterday but couldn't find it - all I found was Asmodean's warning, while they were Skimming en route, that if he came out too close Rahvin would feel it.

Can you find that quote? I thought I remembered that too, so I looked for it yesterday but couldn't find it - all I found was Asmodean's warning, while they were Skimming en route, that if he came out too close Rahvin would feel it.

Remind me later. I'm at work and don't have the book on me. It's towards the end somewhere, though. I just reread this last night. :)

Even if it was inverted?

Rand hadn't spoken about inverted weaves at that point.

Rand knew about inverted weaves since Asmo started teaching him. (But what point are you referring too)

Did he? I'm talking about when they make the trip to Caemlyn to kill Rahvin.

Even if it was inverted?

Rand knew about inverted weaves since Asmo started teaching him. (But what point are you referring too)

Yea he already knew. He hid the statues at that point behind inverted weaves.

Even if it was inverted?

Yea he already knew. He hid the statues at that point behind inverted weaves.

You're right. My apologies.

And, Verin actually making the comment is itself interesting. I cannot think of a single pointless comment she has made--right from the very first moment we meet her. Like when she interupts Siuan's meeting with Rand by waffling on about flying fish and swimming birds to give him time to recover, to when she deftly manipulates the Salidar embassy into the disastrous confrontation with Rand. Hell, the Lie itself, telling the Shienarans that Moiraine sent her, was completely unnecessary. She could have simply said 'I thought I could help' and they wouldn't have questioned her, because she was Aes Sedai. Hell, she could have said 'a farmwife in Seilisin sent me' and they would have knuckled their foreheads and accepted it.

Instead, she said what she said, a comment that was seemingly casual and yet designed very specifically to destroy Moiraine's attempt to let Rand think she had let him slip the leash. Another example is the spadework she does with Aleis in Winter's Heart, designed to scare the Counsel from doing anything stupid should Rand be exposed.

Verin almost always has a reason behind her comments, even the idle-seeming ones. And though this one seemed idle, it drew a reaction from the man it was targeted at. And that speaks eloquently to me.

Damn... you are very right, Luckers. I don't know how many times I've read this series, but I'm sure I still don't fully appreciate the effect Verin has had on events.

Now i doubt alanna would be able to do anything about him, mostly because i see his fate being dealt by perrin, but i could see her being used as a plot tool. By that i mean that she could end up either being captured, and be yet another trap for rand like lanfear is, or, she is going to get her self killed. If that happens then the plot can take a very nasty turn if this has a signicant psychological effect on rand. Time will tell.

I agree with the potential "Alanna as a nasty plot turn" sequence of events. If she gets killed, or if she is forced to pass/break the bond, there would be serious consequences for Rand.

Even if it was inverted?

I was talking about inverted gateway INTO Allana's room. Could that be felt?

Even if it was inverted?

I was talking about inverted gateway INTO Allana's room. Could that be felt?

If it was inverted, no. I think it'd have to be a small gateway out of the room as opposed to in, since her room was small.

A weave can't be inverted until after it is woven, which means the gateway would already have been opened. A reversed weave makes a gateway undetectably as it opens (as per Demandred, with the exception of Cadsuane's shrike and Nynaeve ring), but that would mean one of the Forsaken grabbed Alanna as none of the Light know how to reverse a web (except Rand, now).

Whilst not impossible, that doesn't seem to be what Brandon was eyewinking at with Rand's calm response to her movements... although I suppose, possibly, that this could indicate that Rand was responsible for Alanna's disapearence, setting her a mission or something (much like she begs him to in WH). *shrug*.

A weave can't be inverted until after it is woven, which means the gateway would already have been opened. A reversed weave makes a gateway undetectably as it opens (as per Demandred, with the exception of Cadsuane's shrike and Nynaeve ring), but that would mean one of the Forsaken grabbed Alanna as none of the Light know how to reverse a web (except Rand, now).

Whilst not impossible, that doesn't seem to be what Brandon was eyewinking at with Rand's calm response to her movements... although I suppose, possibly, that this could indicate that Rand was responsible for Alanna's disapearence, setting her a mission or something (much like she begs him to in WH). *shrug*.

Eggy and company didn't learn that from Moggy?

As far as we know, they only learned inversion, not reversing. Moghedien brags after she is brought before the Dark One that she "taught them only small things, and [she] fought them as [she] could." It seems that reversing is one of the things she managed to hold back.

As far as we know, they only learned inversion, not reversing. Moghedien brags after she is brought before the Dark One that she "taught them only small things, and [she] fought them as [she] could." It seems that reversing is one of the things she managed to hold back.

Interesting thanks.

I'm still quite lost on how Masema was about to hide some of her strength in the OP.

Interesting thanks.

I'm still quite lost on how Masema was about to hide some of her strength in the OP.

I'm assuming you mean Mesaana ... Masema is neither a "her" nor a channeler. :wink:

And we know that the Forsaken are able to hide their ability to channel completely (see: Lanfear gallivanting in the White Tower). So, it's not that much of a stretch to believe that they also know how to hide a portion of their ability to channel and be perceived as weaker. It may well be a form of Illusion - you're just deceiving a sense other than the five standard ones.

Actually we know that for a fact.

Robert Jordan

RJ said that a channeler can hide strength as well as ability to channel, but added that 1) few people know how to do it, and 2) the Aes Sedai don't even know these tricks are possible.

Archived