DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Leeeeerooooooy Jeeeeeenkiiiiiins!!!!

Apple Scruff

Hello, all. I have a question that came to mind that I thought was worth discussion:

What character(s) if any in WOT are Leeroy Jenkins character types or have had Leeroy Jenkins type moments?

For the most part these characters seem to make a plan and stick to it. Any thoughts?

For those of you not familiar with the reference:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeroy_Jenkins

Weiramon, for the most part. Especially considering the famous "Leeroy Jenkins" moment was all staged, and Weiramon's stupidity was a farce. I believe he ran into battle a couple of time against orders stupidly.

From among the more important characters I'd say Elayne was closest when she was all like "You can't kill me, I've got plot protection."

Another good choice would be Geofram Bornhald who galloped with 2000 men into death for absolutely no purpose.

From among the more important characters I'd say Elayne was closest when she was all like "You can't kill me, I've got plot protection."

Another good choice would be Geofram Bornhald who galloped with 2000 men into death for absolutely no purpose.

No Geofram Bornhald actually was an honorable and good command , a bit misguided maybe , but is action on Falme was nothing short of brilliant, he saw that he would most likely not leave the battlefield but knew he had to slow the seanchan and spread word about them .

I love the way Ingtar sacrificed himself shooting too.

Elayne is my top

No Geofram Bornhald actually was an honorable and good command , a bit misguided maybe , but is action on Falme was nothing short of brilliant, he saw that he would most likely not leave the battlefield but knew he had to slow the seanchan and spread word about them .

Elayne is my top

He attacked what I believe to have been far more than 10k Seanchan with mere 2k. And if not for the Horn the Seanchan would have been finished with him and his legion in time for a late breakfast. It was a pointless waste of men. Nothing brilliant about it.

Ingtar is completely different. He decided to die to make amends for his actions, he didn't lead others to accompany him in his suicide.

HA!

Elayne is my top

He attacked what I believe to have been far more than 10k Seanchan with mere 2k. And if not for the Horn the Seanchan would have been finished with him and his legion in time for a late breakfast. It was a pointless waste of men. Nothing brilliant about it.

Ingtar is completely different. He decided to die to make amends for his actions, he didn't lead others to accompany him in his suicide.

Yea but didn't he do it to give time for his messanger to get back to the Children and report that these invaders were a serious threat and needed to be dealt with. He had to engage them to provide the necessary evidence.

Elayne is my top

Yea but didn't he do it to give time for his messanger to get back to the Children and report that these invaders were a serious threat and needed to be dealt with. He had to engage them to provide the necessary evidence.

G. Bornhald was at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong set of orders to follow. He was totally ignorant of the Seanchan and their use of damane; and thought he will fight a "conventional" battle "under the Light."

Gotta go with Elayne. Especially when she decides to, on the spur of the moment, try and interrogate one of the Black Ajah prisoners by trying to pretend to be one of the Forsaken. It might've worked.... IF SHE'D TOLD SOMEONE ABOUT IT. Instead she goes all Leeroy Jenkins on em, ends up with a couple of them escaping and nearly gets killed.... again. The attack on Lady Shiane's house was nearly as bad, but at least they somewhat planned that one, even if it did go straight down the crapper and get two Aes Sedai and several hundred soldiers killed.

At least she ain't chicken.....

Oh, and I forgot the classic Elayne moment of "I've never tried to do this extremely dangerous technique for undoing a weave, but I'm gonna do it anyway. What's that? It could blow up everything for a couple of square miles and burn out any channeler in range? Well that's no big deal. What could go wrong?" That one was before she got plot armor too.

Gotta go with Elayne. Especially when she decides to, on the spur of the moment, try and interrogate one of the Black Ajah prisoners by trying to pretend to be one of the Forsaken. It might've worked.... IF SHE'D TOLD SOMEONE ABOUT IT. Instead she goes all Leeroy Jenkins on em, ends up with a couple of them escaping and nearly gets killed.... again. The attack on Lady Shiane's house was nearly as bad, but at least they somewhat planned that one, even if it did go straight down the crapper and get two Aes Sedai and several hundred soldiers killed.

At least she ain't chicken.....

She did tell someone about it. The failure of that plan was due to circumstances beyond her control. I fail to see how that fits with this "Leeroy Jenkins".

Oh, and I forgot the classic Elayne moment of "I've never tried to do this extremely dangerous technique for undoing a weave, but I'm gonna do it anyway. What's that? It could blow up everything for a couple of square miles and burn out any channeler in range? Well that's no big deal. What could go wrong?" That one was before she got plot armor too.

But she had a good reason for doing it. So one is considered a "Leeroy Jenkins" for having a dangerous plan? I don't think you quite grasp the purpose of this thread.

A Leeeerooooy Jeeeenkiiiins isn't the same as merely being reckless. It's about one guy killing his own party with sheer stupidity. It's embarking on a suicidal quest ignoring the people who charge after you trying to keep you safe.

Rand going into danger alone is different.

EEEELAAAAAAAAAAAAAYNE TRAAAAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNND

I laughed out loud. I'm at work. It was awkward.

But she had a good reason for doing it. So one is considered a "Leeroy Jenkins" for having a dangerous plan? I don't think you quite grasp the purpose of this thread.

In retrospect, not really. It was to stop the Seanchan from learning Gateways. I assume they have it now anyways right? Risking death and stilling, not only of yourself but others around you to stop them gaining something they were, inevitably, going to gain anyways. Seemed to me like she wanted to test herself and push her limits more than anything. The reward didn't outweigh the risk. IMO.

Elayne, Rand, Lan, and I'm going to throw Mat in there as well--especially early Mat. "Oh Trollocs are afraid to come into this dark broken down ruin of a city? Let's go exploring for treasure!"

In retrospect, not really. It was to stop the Seanchan from learning Gateways. I assume they have it now anyways right? Risking death and stilling, not only of yourself but others around you to stop them gaining something they were, inevitably, going to gain anyways. Seemed to me like she wanted to test herself and push her limits more than anything. The reward didn't outweigh the risk. IMO.

While the Seanchan gained Traveling eventually despite her actions, she still took action that prevented them learning it sooner than they otherwise would. Imagine how different the series would be if she had not taken that action, and as a result the Seanchan had learnt Traveling in PoD. If they had damane during Rand's campaign later in that book, he would have been stopped much sooner, as he would have lost his biggest advantage. In TGS, Egwene wouldn't have been able to shoot down the to'raken, because there wouldn't have been any. Just hordes of Seanchan pouring through Gateways right into the heart of the WT. Her actions were risky, but look at the potential downsides had she not taken them and you see that her choice was not as ill advised as some would like to portray.

I agree that keeping the Seanchan from having Traveling was important, however, she could easily have just had Avienda make the gateway since she's the one that knew what she was doing. Instead she tries to undo an incredibly complicated weave on her first try. That's beyond wreckless.

I agree that keeping the Seanchan from having Traveling was important, however, she could easily have just had Avienda make the gateway since she's the one that knew what she was doing. Instead she tries to undo an incredibly complicated weave on her first try. That's beyond wreckless.

Avienda was too tired. It took all of her strength to make the gateway to that place earlier, and it was still small. She has a gateway block (I wonder if we'll ever see it undone or explained)

Archived