DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is Basil Gill?

Orderofolde

Something that struck me as odd was in teotw when Rand and Mat finally reach the Queen's Blessing. Basel Gill remarks about how he knows that the flute case (and flute) at Rand's side in the bundle is Thom's, as he has seen him play it quite often in the past. Basel Gill tells the boys that Thom used to be Court Bard in the Palace and left just ahead of a death warrant which we all well know. However, unless Thom frequented low places playing as a gleeman to the crowds (and we know from his POV he dislikes telling his stories in common), in order for Basel Gill to see Thom play it frequently Basil Gill must have been in the Palace as either a servant or more likely a chief clerk of some capacity to save funds to start an Inn as the life of a soldier in the Aiel War likely wouldn't have provided it. We know that later as the story progresses when Basil dons his old sword he hasn't worn it in twenty years and follows Morgase and Linni from Caemlyn.

Basil Gill's blindingly strong support of the Queen early on and later following her with Lamgwin to Amador makes me think that he was a friend of Thom's in the Palace, in order for him to know so much about Thom's more private matters with Morgase. And accordingly, friends of Thom's in the Palace wouldn't find the atmosphere there after Thom's falling out with the Queen comfortable, so I believe that Basil Gill might have gone and opened the Queen's Blessing at that time.

It would be interesting to find out the history between Thom and Master Gill. Let me know what you think.

they dont have tv, so their form of jersey shore is probably andoran court lol, as weve seen people like to gossip, so im sure that there is a lot of talk, and thom may have just been buddies with him, hard to say but there is my idea on it

Thom was Morgase's court bard in public; and her spymaster in secret. Basel Gill could have been easily one of his most trusted agents. Thom did arrange Taringail's accident when he discovered his plans to have Morgase killed. And Thom isn't called the Gray Fox for nothing. And that was before he killed the Cairhienin King to avenge his mistress!

Thom was Morgase's court bard in public; and her spymaster in secret. Basel Gill could have been easily one of his most trusted agents. Thom did arrange Taringail's accident when he discovered his plans to have Morgase killed. And Thom isn't called the Gray Fox for nothing. And that was before he killed the Cairhienin King to avenge his mistress!

wasnt the king found dead before thom could get his revenge? pretty sure he heard about it while he was planning it if im not mistaken

wasnt the king found dead before thom could get his revenge? pretty sure he heard about it while he was planning it if im not mistaken

nah barthanes was found dead before, the last we see thom is a innkeeper telling him not to do anything stupid while walking out with his knives (of course the last thing we see before the king is dead)

Thom was bard for house Trakand and Court Bard once Morgase was raised to Queen. Nothing is said about what he did in his early life. One would assume that he performed outside of house Trakand. Maybe Basel was a member of house Trakand before Morgase became queen. Like Thom there really isn't all that much on Basel except that he was in the Aiel Wars and he would follow Morgase anywhere.

Kind of good that Rand bought the right colors for his sword when he got to Caemlyn. Because even with the flute I bet he wouldn't have gotten a room at Basel's Inn.

Basel was a soldier is all we really know. It may have been possible he was in the employ of Trakand house during the time of the Aiel war and so may have met Thom then. Or even afterwards maybe Thom frequented the in occasionally, not to play but to drink and all that :P

Nine times out of Ten the obvious answer is the right one.

Who is Basel Gill? An innkeeper from Caemlyn who is friends with Thom.

It's unlikely he's ever been a member of Court, or a member of House Trakand, or Morgase or Lini would likely have remembered him after a while.

Thom is known to enjoy performing, and we know he is something of an oddity among bards in that he enjoyed juggling, for example (PoV of Ituralde in the Stedding).

It's likely that he simply knows Thom, whether due to Thom performing or simply coming in regularly for a drink.

I don't see the reason or need to speculate like this, particularly with 0 evidence.

I am more with Lacanos on this one, this might be overthinking it, he was probably just thom's friend.

But we know from evidence in the books that Thom is called the Gray Fox who was Morgase's lover, spymaster, and court bard. We also know from evidence that Basel Gill is a trusted Thom friend, hiding him from the Queen's arrest order, and that Gill is a good and capable information source. Saying that Gill is one of Thom's most trusted agents would not be going against the evidence. And of course working together for decades would lead to friendship.

I am more with Lacanos on this one, this might be overthinking it, he was probably just thom's friend.

But we know from evidence in the books that Thom is called the Gray Fox who was Morgase's lover, spymaster, and court bard. We also know from evidence that Basel Gill is a trusted Thom friend, hiding him from the Queen's arrest order, and that Gill is a good and capable information source. Saying that Gill is one of Thom's most trusted agents would not be going against the evidence. And of course working together for decades would lead to friendship.

Gill was a decent source of gossip, but honestly seemed a bit scatter brained to be a spy. As I stated above, I believe he is exactly who he appears to be. The WoT is full of prophecy, complicated plots and innuendo, but there is no reason to assume every minor character has a hidden agenda or every major character is a HotH.

And I'm also guessing Thom didn't just rock up at house Trakand or the palace one day and say "Sup, I'm your new bard now". He had to of started somewhere to build up his skills and reputation, and that would most likely be in the lower levels of the city. A Gleeman/Bard would generally be striking good relationships with all of the innkeepers he performs for so as to help get future work/better deals. Basil was probably just of a better sort than others and they became pals

Gill was a decent source of gossip, but honestly seemed a bit scatter brained to be a spy. As I stated above, I believe he is exactly who he appears to be. The WoT is full of prophecy, complicated plots and innuendo, but there is no reason to assume every minor character has a hidden agenda or every major character is a HotH.

And I'm also guessing Thom didn't just rock up at house Trakand or the palace one day and say "Sup, I'm your new bard now". He had to of started somewhere to build up his skills and reputation, and that would most likely be in the lower levels of the city. A Gleeman/Bard would generally be striking good relationships with all of the innkeepers he performs for so as to help get future work/better deals. Basil was probably just of a better sort than others and they became pals

An average innkeeper who is aware of the undercurrents of the city and has knowledge of some Royal Palace news and developments. An innkeeper who doesn't flinch when asked to house Aes Sedai at times when they aren't popular and smuggles them out of his inn via a "secret door." An innkeeper of an establishment that someone "wanted" by Morgase uses as a "safe house."

I cannot recall all the references to Gill's "covert" skills; but I don't think he's just an average innkeeper.

An average innkeeper who is aware of the undercurrents of the city and has knowledge of some Royal Palace news and developments. An innkeeper who doesn't flinch when asked to house Aes Sedai at times when they aren't popular and smuggles them out of his inn via a "secret door." An innkeeper of an establishment that someone "wanted" by Morgase uses as a "safe house."

I cannot recall all the references to Gill's "covert" skills; but I don't think he's just an average innkeeper.

Innkeepers listen to gossip, it's a common theme.

House Aes Sedai when they aren't popular? Maybe he likes the Aes Sedai as an organisation personally, that's not beyond belief.

And as for the third, if he's friends with Thom, I can't think why Thom might stay with a friend to hide out...

I'm fuzzy on when Morgase left Andor. Didn't Lini take her to Basel straight out? Or was it the true queens guard? Anyway that would imply that Basel was thought of first among all the inn keepers in a large city as someone who they could trust. So even though nine times out of ten the simplest answer is the right answer. It would seem that there is more to Basel Gill then just being a inn keeper.

I'm fuzzy on when Morgase left Andor. Didn't Lini take her to Basel straight out? Or was it the true queens guard? Anyway that would imply that Basel was thought of first among all the inn keepers in a large city as someone who they could trust. So even though nine times out of ten the simplest answer is the right answer. It would seem that there is more to Basel Gill then just being a inn keeper.

No, Lini did not. Tallanvor did, and he knew both Basel Gill and Lamgwin as personal friends.

Then there is also Basel's strong suspicion that despite what Rand and Mat witnessed, he knew there was more than a good chance that Thom was still alive. This would seem to indicate that he knew Thom as more than a casual friend, that he knew of the man's skill with knives, the "Gray Fox" version of Thom.

Then there is also Basel's strong suspicion that despite what Rand and Mat witnessed, he knew there was more than a good chance that Thom was still alive. This would seem to indicate that he knew Thom as more than a casual friend, that he knew of the man's skill with knives, the "Gray Fox" version of Thom.

he probably suspected it because Thom escaped the queen and bryne when they tried to capture/execute him

Archived