DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Memory of Light

Edynol

First off, this isn't a debate on what will or will not happen. So please, don't nock anyone's opinions or try to despute what they think. This is just for seeing what others think on this particular subject.

I am wondering, the titles of all the books refer to something actually in that book in one way or another, Eye of the World, Crown of Swords, etc. So, what will this memory of light be? Will Rand have some sort long forgotten memory about how to use the actual power of light, something seperate from the true source, to defeat the DO? Or will maybe Moridin be reminded of a time where he fought for good and switch sides? Or something similar with the other forsaken? Or is the memory the conclusion of the TG as counted by the 4th age narrator?

What exactly will the memory entoll? Will it cause Rand to have a revilation of some sort in which holds the key to sealing the DO's prison for good(Until someon in the future bores into it again, that is)?Will Rand somehow remind everyone fighting for the shadow how they weren't born evil, convince them to look back at their childhoods before they became evil and how they weren't meant to be this way? Everyone has a memory of light, even if it is buried really deep beyond normal recallection. A memory when they were the happiest just running around in the sunlight and taking in the wonders of nature.

Sure, there will be fighting, but when the forces of shadow are beaten back enough, Rand will talk to them, remind them of their earliest memories when they were still untouched and untainted. And with Perrin and Matt with him, it will be just enough ta'veren pull to make them see his reasoning and denounce the DO. And as the DO loses followers, maybe his strength and enfluence over the world will also decrease, making it easier to seal him away. Maybe this is why Mat and Perrin need to be with him, not for their talents and armies, but because of their ta'veren pull and ability to make people do what they normally wouldn't.

These are my thoughts on the Memory of Light. What are yours?

First off, this isn't a debate on what will or will not happen. So please, don't nock anyone's opinions or try to despute what they think. This is just for seeing what others think on this particular subject.

I am wondering, the titles of all the books refer to something actually in that book in one way or another, Eye of the World, Crown of Swords, etc. So, what will this memory of light be? Will Rand have some sort long forgotten memory about how to use the actual power of light, something seperate from the true source, to defeat the DO? Or will maybe Moridin be reminded of a time where he fought for good and switch sides? Or something similar with the other forsaken? Or is the memory the conclusion of the TG as counted by the 4th age narrator?

What exactly will the memory entoll? Will it cause Rand to have a revilation of some sort in which holds the key to sealing the DO's prison for good(Until someon in the future bores into it again, that is)?Will Rand somehow remind everyone fighting for the shadow how they weren't born evil, convince them to look back at their childhoods before they became evil and how they weren't meant to be this way? Everyone has a memory of light, even if it is buried really deep beyond normal recallection. A memory when they were the happiest just running around in the sunlight and taking in the wonders of nature.

Sure, there will be fighting, but when the forces of shadow are beaten back enough, Rand will talk to them, remind them of their earliest memories when they were still untouched and untainted. And with Perrin and Matt with him, it will be just enough ta'veren pull to make them see his reasoning and denounce the DO. And as the DO loses followers, maybe his strength and enfluence over the world will also decrease, making it easier to seal him away. Maybe this is why Mat and Perrin need to be with him, not for their talents and armies, but because of their ta'veren pull and ability to make people do what they normally wouldn't.

These are my thoughts on the Memory of Light. What are yours?

I don't recall the Knife of Dreams being something particular in the book.

The Towers of Midnight weren't something very dominant in that book.

The Shadow Rising could be the title of about every book in the series.

So... the title doesn't have to be in the book.

Nevertheless, I think it's simple. In this book the world will be on it's darkest. It will feel as a dark tunnel with only the memory of light (no actual light) giving hope.

I was hoping that it would be something along the lines of how light would fade to nothing but a memory, and that people would be left with nothing but the hope that a memory would be enough to hold them against the darkness.

It's why I kept expecting that puddle of Light around Rand to go away.

I think that it means that something bad will happen and people will remember the good times with the light.

I thought the same. The Shadow wins and there is only memory of the light but I hope that's not it.

I've had the idea that maybe the use of the OP becomes lost to humanity. A new age starts where there is no OP, or rather, humanity is unable to access the OP. We know that at some point channeling needs to be "rediscovered" in order to lead into the Age of Legends once again. The title would make sense because the OP is essentially the light, and after Rand seals the DO away for good, all that is left is a Memory of the Light that everyone used to know. I believe that the Ogier might be involved in this, and what could theoretically happen is the entire planet becomes a stedding somehow. I see the Ogier as sort of...guardians of the light...if that makes sense. They understand the pattern in a way similar to the Finns, except they take a more active roll in the running of things.

So in closing, I think access to the OP will be lost, and this is what "A Memory of Light" refers to.

I think it is just that everything will plunged into darkness when Rand breaks the seals and threatens to envelope all of Creation with darkness (kinda like the Ways). So that the light of the world would be just a memory.

I think it is just that everything will plunged into darkness when Rand breaks the seals and threatens to envelope all of Creation with darkness (kinda like the Ways). So that the light of the world would be just a memory.

But the DO shouldn't have that much power over what happens, because then we would know about it from when the DO's bore was first opened in these ages. I think it will be something else like a bunch of bubbles that cause weird things to happen.

We know that there will be an unnatural eclipse during this time. We know that black clouds have obscurd the sky for two books now. There are also numerous prophecies which speak of unnatural darkness spreading across the land.

The signs are just too strong for it not to happen.

Regardless of the "in-book" references and inferences, this book will be Jim's (RJ's) lasting memory. It will be a memory of the light he left behind in the epic fantasy world.

Agreed.

tGH 2: The Welcome

"Why should we watch?"

"For the hope of humankind"

"Against what do we guard?"

"The shadow at noon"

It took me a few times reading to understand it, you Aes Sedai. I guess you mean "against what do we guard?" "the Shadow at noon"? In that there will be Shadow at noon?

It took me a few times reading to understand it, you Aes Sedai. I guess you mean "against what do we guard?" "the Shadow at noon"? In that there will be Shadow at noon?

Indeed.

The Shadow is weakest at noon.

The Shadow's power in aMoL will grow so strong it will consume the world. It will be cloaked in the Shadow's glory.

I am not saying that this refers to an eclipse, because I don't think that the eclipse is what we know as an eclipse. Nor am I saying all light will disappear like the Ways. Although it might, I don't think it will.

I think that the "eclipse" is actually the Shadow's influence. It will act like an hourglass, once the sun is fully consumed, the Shadow is victorious.

Thus, the Shadow will be so influential and powerful that the Light seems a distant memory.

The Karatheon Cycle gives us evidence of this.

and the Shadow shall lie across the Pattern of the Age

The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety.

And also the Dark Prophecy, which will come true, remember, even if it is from the Shadow.

Once again, His glorious cloak shall smother the Pattern of all things

I am of a mind the world will be at its darkest when rand breaks the seals so all that will remain is the memory I also think slot more friends of the dark will showup amongst the forces of light and the whole let caose rule thing will take hold stronger than ever so the good guys will need that memory to have a chance

I support multiple thoughts here in that I've found the wheel of time likes to layer meaning on top of meaning behind a certain set of words.

I think a Memory of Light refers to:

1. The loss of the Dragon once more from the land (to be reborn again)

2. The total eclipse of light from the land

3. The dissapearance of the One Power from the land either immediately following the Dark One's banishment or sometime thereafter. This may simply be the death of all existing channelers, so that wilders re-emerge sometime in the future and eventually start to form schools.

....Regarding #3, i think there are multiple important precedents. One is that channeling essentially ceases to exist for quite some time in the wheel on any large or recognized scale.

Two is that to prevent a Seanchan takeover of the land, the Seanchan need to have their structure fundamentally destroyed. Revelation of Sul'dam being Damane would help that, but the true potential to level the playing field is to actually disable their army of channelers.

The third is more philosophical but essentially there are evil people in the world, and brilliant evil people, and brilliant evil channelers. If they have their power, and knowledge that the Dark One exists, they'll try to re-access him. The only way an entire world like that could go thousands of years without knowledge of the Dark One, to the point he ceases to exist and no one is trying to find him, is a prolonged absence of channelers where such primal powers are forgotten to even exist, and even legend has faded.

Final thought: I don't think Avi's vision is that likely. To be accurate, you would need to fundamentally still have society exist when this is done. Large armies of seanchan, channelers, andoran armies, aiel, etc....they would still need to exist once the Last Battle is done.

I find that unlikely the way things are going. A remnant of a remnant is not 25% of your population. It's 1%. Or .1%. etc.

The world is being unmade, broken down, and only possibly able to be re-forged anew. Such does not start with large knowledge bases, existing nations, etc....in my mind.

well the shadow is across the land already and with the future bleak, the Light is becoming just a memory. There will be a point in the book where all is just about lost perhaps many deaths and a near defeat of everyone, Perhaps at the time Rand dies and so everyone believes all is done for. Then a miracle happens of some sort and the Light is restored.

Thus, the Shadow will be so influential and powerful that the Light seems a distant memory.

The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety.

And also the Dark Prophecy, which will come true, remember, even if it is from the Shadow.

Okay, when the seal break (or are broken), wouldn't the shadow's strength be restore to what it was in the War of Power? These prophies, and the characters, seem to think that then the seals are broken the bore will grow/expand to envolpe the entire pattern. Am I misreading this? How will the DO be able to have a stronger influence this time than the last time he was freed?

I think that it is basically sayin that Rand a we know him after VOG is a model of what a person in the light should be. And because we know he has to die it means that the people will not find out if he is reborn or whatever...Thus they will remember him as the champion of the light an their saviour and will not slander him as was done to LTT.

This also helps with my opinion that Rand will not die near the beginning of the book but at the confrontation with whoever at SG

Okay, when the seal break (or are broken), wouldn't the shadow's strength be restore to what it was in the War of Power? These prophies, and the characters, seem to think that then the seals are broken the bore will grow/expand to envolpe the entire pattern. Am I misreading this? How will the DO be able to have a stronger influence this time than the last time he was freed?

I think of it like, this if a fabric rips an u put sew it then when it rips again through the stitching then the whole will be bigger...but that's just my thinking. Not even sure if the Bore will be any bigger, but I expect it will be

Archived