DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moiraine and Rand: The Meeting

RandA lThor

I have always wondered what would happen when Moiraine and Rand meet. How do you think that it will happen, when will it ahppen? Will it happen when she somehow saves his life or will it be atime when Rand can just be happy? Will Rand not believe it at first or will he somehow know it was already going to happen? Will she change from her former self or be the same? Will she be there for the breaking of the seals and take Rand's side? I have a lot of questions so let's start a discussion.

I am thinking, or rather hoping, it will be really emotional. Like Rand's reunion with Tam, tears and hugs and all. I see Rand kneeling before her and apologizing, happy beyond words she's alive. I mean, even way earlier, after she died, before he became dark Rand, he regretted how he treated her and reflected on how she was one of the few he could really trust and that she was really selfless and trying to help him. He regretted not being to kill Lanfear and save her from that fate. I think when they do meet again, he's gonna tell her all these things because he knows you don't get second chances like hardly ever.

I think it will be an emotional train wreck. However I also think that Rand will come away from it believing that he can really survive the Last Battle. She has some knowledge that he needs to win the last battle. She has gone through both doorways and has had her answers and wishes which I am sure will have used for helping Rand in any way that she could.

After finishing Towers of Midnight I thought that Moiraine would be the second woman Rand used for the link with Callandor. Before he confirmed that Nynaeve would help, I had thought maybe it would be Elayne and Aviendha since there aren't many others that are held in trust. But now that Nynaeve will assist I think Moiraine will be the other.

If they meet I think it will empower Rand somewhat by releasing his regret for that event at the docks back in Cairhien. Especially if it turns out that the knowledge she learned through the doorway can help win the last battle. I don't think he would kneel down to her though, although it would be one hell of a sight if it happened when all the other Aes Sedai were around. Moiraine's status might climb a point or two. It's certainly good to see her again though. While reading deeper into the series I actually began to miss her before even learning that she would return. Hopefully she plays a big part in the next book.

After finishing Towers of Midnight I thought that Moiraine would be the second woman Rand used for the link with Callandor. Before he confirmed that Nynaeve would help, I had thought maybe it would be Elayne and Aviendha since there aren't many others that are held in trust. But now that Nynaeve will assist I think Moiraine will be the other.

If they meet I think it will empower Rand somewhat by releasing his regret for that event at the docks back in Cairhien. Especially if it turns out that the knowledge she learned through the doorway can help win the last battle. I don't think he would kneel down to her though, although it would be one hell of a sight if it happened when all the other Aes Sedai were around. Moiraine's status might climb a point or two. It's certainly good to see her again though. While reading deeper into the series I actually began to miss her before even learning that she would return. Hopefully she plays a big part in the next book.

back on wotmania i had a theory that rand would break down in tears and ask for forgiveness from his father when he met him again. deffinately didnt happen the way i expected, but it did happen, i knew his dad would be the tears. i don't think you will be far off for rand/therin falling to his knees and loosing controll of his emotions when he next encounters moiraine. where or when is the biggest question. but this encounter is sure to happen, and it will be as shocking as ilyena alive would be. there is a reason why he kept putting moiraine at the front of his list.

I'm not so sure this encounter will happen. I have absolutely no evidence, just a feeling that they won't meet.. and whatever-it-is Moiraine has to give to help him succeed, it will go through someone else.

As I say, no evidence, just a feeling.

maybe not, but i doubt it, that would also say that mat will not talk to rand again unless they both survive the last battle. although there are lots of variables, and once again no evidence. just like i dont know how rand would actualy react if he ran into moiraine. but i think i get what your concern is, page space. i agree that for most of these unions that we would like to see in the last book would literaly take that wheelbarrow home that rj warned us about. but i still find the moir/rand encounter is highly likely. but a lan moir propably won't happen, a mat tuon encounter is very likely, an eqwene tuon encounter is for sure because of egwene's dream of having to do something important with the leader of the seanchan. the fact is we have a mess, and allot of the most demanding questions we have will not be answered any time soon. it would be nice to force h to be the author, but she would likely flip us off and hold up a sign that says "editor 4 life!". but we can always wish =P (btw i dare you to carry all the hardback copies of the books available without using a wheelbarrow of some sort already before mol even comes out)

@testy: No, it's not page space that worries me (though that is certainly enough of a problem to make me almost consider buying an ebook reader!). It's more.. Perhaps it's that a Moir-rand encounter is something readers have been waiting to see for so long, that seems so necessary, so inevitable, so.. almost Deus ex Machina - that I can quite see RJ grinning and saying "Betcha didn't think I'd do that, now didja.."

Nah. He wouldn't be so cruel. Would he........? :myrddraal:

As for Mat meeting up with Rand - yes he needs to; but first he's got to sort out Caemlyn and get the HoV. With Moiraine in her present state he's likely to leave her somewhere 'safe' while he does that. And when the three ta'veren finally do get together, I can see things being hectic in the extreme. Not a lot of time for idle chat.

Having said that, I wonder if Moiraine's actions will be to deal with CynFear (again!!)

(I just noticed that Rand4747 says much the same thing!)

@testy: No, it's not page space that worries me (though that is certainly enough of a problem to make me almost consider buying an ebook reader!). It's more.. Perhaps it's that a Moir-rand encounter is something readers have been waiting to see for so long, that seems so necessary, so inevitable, so.. almost Deus ex Machina - that I can quite see RJ grinning and saying "Betcha didn't think I'd do that, now didja.."

Nah. He wouldn't be so cruel. Would he........? :myrddraal:

As for Mat meeting up with Rand - yes he needs to; but first he's got to sort out Caemlyn and get the HoV. With Moiraine in her present state he's likely to leave her somewhere 'safe' while he does that. And when the three ta'veren finally do get together, I can see things being hectic in the extreme. Not a lot of time for idle chat.

Having said that, I wonder if Moiraine's actions will be to deal with CynFear (again!!)

(I just noticed that Rand4747 says much the same thing!)

once moi sees a saidar gateway she is likely to leave mat behind if he won't keep up. although i love your quoted 'safe' because that is matt to the core. but i am still in the party that moi has some vital information for rand, somehow she is supposed to save the day, and i would find it more DeM if she didn't encounter rand and learn his plan doing it.

but yeah, rj was pretty cruel, pretty sure he said something about loving to make his fans flinch, or something like that. but we do get to make him roll over in his grave by calling him junior now =P (jr)

Yeah I'm pretty sure they will meet. Do we have any quotes from BS on rather they will meet or not? So far, we know Mat and Tuon will meet again, we know the seals will be broken, and a few other things I can't remember this early in the morning. lol. Anyways, when I mentioned Rand kneeling, I wasn't talking about kneeling in reverence. I was talking about being in emotional shock to the point you get weak in the knees and drop down. I am certain it would be even more emotional than his reunion with Tam, because he knew Tam was still alive. Moiraine he thinks is dead and blames himself for it.

Don't forget that Rand regularly spies on his buddies. The longer Moiraine stays with Mat the more likely Rand will find out. Once he does, I think Rand will interrupt whatever he's doing to Travel to wherever they are.

I can imagine it happening on the FoM. Rand will be addressing all the leaders and telling them what he proposes, then will look up and see Moiraine entering and will fall be awestruck and fall to his knees. It would just seem so right, in front of everyone.

If Mat hasn't already hared off to the Tower or somewhere, leaving the happy couple behind...

We know that Moir's contribution has to happen. If it's necessary info or something from the 'finns, it could reach Rand indirectly. If it's something Moir has to do, Rand doesn't necessarily have to be present.

But yeah, I'd like to see a little jaw-dropping myself!

I think that somehow Mat is going to have to get back to Caemlyn with it under attack and the Band back there and I'm thinking Moiraine and Thom will somehow accompany him and be involved in he rescue (I don't know how they'll get there, but I think there'll somehow be a way - possibly Birgette's bond with Elayne will bring troops back and Olver will divulge where they (Matt and Thom) are). I then think that Moiraine will somehow be the one who resolves the differences between Rand and Egwene. Don't forget, she's absolutely committed to defeating the DO and I think they'll have to see the wisdom of her arguments. I don't think she'll be using Callendor, I think that will be Nyneave and Alivia, but I do think she'll kill Lanfear/Cyndane.

As I say, the key role she will have is the healing of the potential rift between Rand & Eggs. She has mutual respect from both and is revered now as an almost cult figure amongst AS. She's the only one who can do it. I think the emotional element to the re-union with Rand will depend on who's POV it's from. If I'm right it will be from Matt's or Egwene's...or possibly Elayne, but I don't think it will be a Rand or Moiraine POV.

Rand Sedai and Moiraine have to meet even if she's not the second on Callandor. I think she will be to symbolize a synthesis of old and new AS. She obviously won't be left behind by mat even if he goes a hunting. She has the angreal and kicking ass is one of her specialties. In addition to her legendary status among AS, she is cousin to the queen of Tear, probably something to Elayne, and greatly respected in the borderlands and probably the wise ones.

Rand Sedai and Moiraine have to meet even if she's not the second on Callandor. I think she will be to symbolize a synthesis of old and new AS. She obviously won't be left behind by mat even if he goes a hunting. She has the angreal and kicking ass is one of her specialties. In addition to her legendary status among AS, she is cousin to the queen of Tear, probably something to Elayne, and greatly respected in the borderlands and probably the wise ones.

moiraine is gawyn, elayne, and galad's aunt. (i know this is no evidence, but i have always believed that moiraine and thom have a history before emond's field.)

I am not sure what Rand has to apologize to Moir about. After Falme if he had listened to her, he would be dead. She advised against going to the waste then tried to prevent him from bringing the Aiel out of the waste. He had to treat her like a servant because she would not butt out with her useless advise.

The only thing he has to apologize to her about was that he refused to blast Lanfear into oblivion at the dock.

I can imagine it happening on the FoM. Rand will be addressing all the leaders and telling them what he proposes, then will look up and see Moiraine entering and will fall be awestruck and fall to his knees. It would just seem so right, in front of everyone.

exactly what I imagine, as Asha'man who will be making gateway is already in FoM, he will bring Mat, Moiraine & Thom directly to FoM, where Rand will be addressing at that time.

it wil be all"young and the restless"rand to morianne "what are you doing here" long pause,fade to commercial break about vacations in the aiel waste spa.when we return rands eyes start to well with tears,he grabs morianne in big sheepherder hug,laughs.all is right in the world for a brief time.

Archived