DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Diablo 3

Arez Al'Loke

• Community Administrator

I added everyone whose battle tags I saw. I don't think SD will want to play with me though as I don't think he likes me very much and thinks I'm crazy lol.

I already added you on D3.

And I keep D&D and " Movies and Games Discussion" and 'D3' all seperate. ;)

I easilly seperate my political standing on D&D from this board, and again on D3.

My rift guild primarilly constists of Retired southern republicans, possible liberal social security drop outs, something merging the two, ect, ect. I employ the 'golden rule' (in bar terminology) in that we just don't really discuss religion & politics. MMOs? Yea, we rag on wow fanbois :P

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worst part is the gibbering gemstone. That took me about 3 hours, the rest was real quick. Also SD you took my remake with the same graphics too literally. Clearly the graphics have been upgraded, but they just aren't eye popping like I expected after a 13 year wait. Incidently I am chewing through hell mode just as fast as nightmare.

Well consider this.

Do you want D3 with crysis Graphics? Part of Blizzards 'thing' is its art style. And while it could be potentially 'awesome' to play D3 at the level of 'cinematic' graphics... thats just not possible... in real time.. on todays pc's.

Besides, just marketing alone, if they can allow people with 'lower end' pcs to play D3, they can allow many, many more people to play it. Tahts one of the reasons why 'indie' games sell so much better than AAA games like 'crysis'.

So, has everyone seen the plans for Patch 1.0.3?

http://us.battle.net...w-6_6_2012#blog

- changing Inferno drop rates

- upping power of Legendary items

- lowering difficulty of Co-op mode

- adjusting Inferno difficulty

- upping item repair costs when at Level 60

- reducing effectiveness of Increased Attack Speed

- reducing Artisan training costs; also, reducing gem combine costs from 3 gems to 2

Interestingly, the one that really stuck out to me over all the others was the last one. I'm not sure what to think about the gem combine reduction. It's been 3 gems to combine up since the very beginning. This is a pretty big deal.

Is co-op really that difficult that they need to modify it? And I don't like the increased repair costs :p

Uhh. yes.

mobs deal something like 20% more dmg when 1 person comes inot your game. 3rd person increases it by like 50% and the 3rd (4th) person increases it to about 70-80% more dmg...

When mobs can hit you for 50k solo... adding another 30K to that is well... uggh.

The repair cost increase, is to help compinsate for the fact that Inferno is getting 'easier'. And it'll help balance it out abit. (not alot but a bit)

course a 400% incresae is rather vindictive... As well as the 'longer' rez-time waits.. its really.. just spiteful of blizzard thinking that kind of gameplay is fun.. Specially since mobs already 'enrage' in inferno if you don't kill them fast enough. (and if you don't get back to them within around 10s, they will reset to full HP) The 'enrage' is basically a molten/descrate effect... Just by being 'near' the mob. Unavoidable, and basically one-shots you.

Sorry, should have clarified: repair costs are only being upped once you reach Level 60.

Nah, its based on 'item level'. (so its still true) but items above an iLevel 60 =2-5x repair costs.

And just as a note, on there 1.0.3 preview,

Item	   Hell Act 3/4  Inferno Act 1 Inferno Act 2  Inferno Act 3/4															
iLvl 61		  9 %		 18%		19%	    24%  
iLvl 62		  2%		  8%		12%		16%
iLvl 63	      0%		  2%		 4%		 8%

Is how its going to work when that goes live.

Right now, its basically iLvl 61 = act 1, iLvl 62 = act 2, and iLvl 63 = act 3/4. And sadly, as a melee character, you baiscally need iLvl 63 to progress to act 3. So this upcoming change is 'huge' for melee.

And the fact that they are removing the added mob dmg while grouping, it means mobs will be just as strong solo (or near so) as in a group. As it stands now... 4 players mobs = gods. It sactually 'better' to solo than it is to 'group' becuase of this. And mobs don't even 'drop' better loot when you group. D1/2, mobs had a 'higher' 'magic find' modifier for being in a 'group', than solo. They got stronger, they gave more loot, and more xp. Thats different in D3.

i still don't think that in a year it will be unrealistic to expect a console version of this game, DA or Skyrim or Dark Souls style. if they can bring a game like Minecraft, Civilization, Elder Scrolls and the Sims to console, they can bring Diablo to the console; and Blizzard has been teasing us with the idea since the game was first announced. likely hood is their putting it on PC for the first year to work out the kinks and adapt a simlar campaign style version with a plot heavy story line and multi-player feature for the consoles.

and yes SD, i use the term CPU and PC interchangably XD also, patches for games come out all the time and are updated with no cost to the user on the PS3, as well as softward updates on the consoles themselves.

i still don't think that in a year it will be unrealistic to expect a console version of this game, DA or Skyrim or Dark Souls style. if they can bring a game like Minecraft, Civilization, Elder Scrolls and the Sims to console, they can bring Diablo to the console; and Blizzard has been teasing us with the idea since the game was first announced.

Oh dear god. If it took them 12 years to finish D3 for the computer, I can't imagine how long a console version would take.

Oh dear god. If it took them 12 years to finish D3 for the computer, I can't imagine how long a console version would take.

but see your tlakign abotu building a game from the ground up, from conception, R&D, beta testing and release. from what i've seen, it takes about a year or two to convert and tweak a SP game to suit the consoles then release. (atleast that was about the time frame for Dragon Age from what i can remember). unless ofcourse the game is purely MMO, in which case youd need to create and flesh out a story mode.

also, Blizzard has thrown around the possability of a console version since they announced the beta testing phase of this game, which means 1 - 2 years ago, they started the R&D on converting their product for consoles. likely, the console version (if they do plan to release one like they keep saying) is already in the early stages of beta testing, seeing as the nuts and bolts of the game are already fleshed out.

another thing is, Blizzard's market is oriented towards PC gamming. likely the company is goign to sit on a console verson for atleast a year to allow for maximum profits from the PC version and to release in a lull where the console competition is in their favor. with titles liek Assasins Creed 3, God of War, Dead Space 3, Darksiders 2 and other big name franchise that have a huge following, they want to maximize the profit theyd gain from releasing a Dugeon Crawler (especailly sicne Dugeon Crawlers do rather poorly on consoles in comparison to PC)

The real problem is, trying to get sony & MS to give up some of there 'reigns' to allow blizzard to operate the game, the way it 'needs' to be operated. Updates when they want, updated through the game client (not through xbox live market place or even downloaded from M$'s servers, but from blizzards) as the majority of the games 'content' is hosted entirely on 'their servers', and not on the 'physical' copy. Meaning,... quite alot really... You have the 'item models' but all the 'data' of that item, is on their server, not your pc. ;)

If anything, I predict Blizzards coming out with 'another' game for the console, perhaps D related, perhaps not. (Lost Vikings?) They've basically said they hired console people to 'explore' those possibilities, just like they hired people from everything else to 'explore' those angles to. D3 on Consoles... 1-2 years? Possible, we'll just have to wait and see really..

liek i said SD, you'd end up having a game closer to Skyrim or Demon Souls; where theres a multiplayer feature, but the guts of the game is on a disc not MMO on a host server. if a game as big as Skyrim can be housed on a disk seperate of a host server, than so can a campaign style Diablo 3 with a story line.

you're not going to get the entire game or even the same game, especially if D3 is set up like an MMO or like Starcraft, but you'd get the same basic game.

liek i said, if they can bring a slimmer Minecraft to the 360 in 1 or 2 years, theres no reason they can't bring Diablo 3 to disk format for the consoles; especially sicne they've already had that aim in mind whiel the PC game was still in Beta

liek i said SD, you'd end up having a game closer to Skyrim or Demon Souls; where theres a multiplayer feature, but the guts of the game is on a disc not MMO on a host server. if a game as big as Skyrim can be housed on a disk seperate of a host server, than so can a campaign style Diablo 3 with a story line.

you're not going to get the entire game or even the same game, especially if D3 is set up like an MMO or like Starcraft, but you'd get the same basic game.

liek i said, if they can bring a slimmer Minecraft to the 360 in 1 or 2 years, theres no reason they can't bring Diablo 3 to disk format for the consoles; especially sicne they've already had that aim in mind whiel the PC game was still in Beta

They won't do that though, and skryim isn't 'multiplayer on the pc' and 'singleplayer' on the consoles, so that doesn't really work.

And theres already precendent of an mmo on console (see FFXI)

One of hte reason they 'won't do it, is because people could then, take the data on that disc, and 'convert it' for the pc, to make it 'easier' to crack.

Cause as it stands, since 'most' of that data is online only, they have to 'packet sniff' to get that data, to make it 'playable' offline.

And mobs don't even 'drop' better loot when you group. D1/2, mobs had a 'higher' 'magic find' modifier for being in a 'group', than solo. They got stronger, they gave more loot, and more xp. Thats different in D3.

Seriously? I assumed it was like in D2. I had started doing MP for nightmare but I guess I'll go back to solo. Ah well, don't have to run around finding active players now.

Currently mobs just hit harder, have more health, and grant hte same rewards (xp/items) solo as in a group. they 'claim' thats becuas eyou 'kill' faster, evne though in inferno... its the opposite. :P

By reducing inferno mob dmg, it makes grouping far mroe viable, and since youll die 'less' they have to 'up' the repair cost... hopefully not... freaking to the 50k level... (they claim people make 200k an hour doing 'butcher' runs in infenro... I barely managed 50k.)

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently leveling a demon hunter after getting my 60 monk through Act 1 of Inferno. I can no longer advance my monk any further without dying every few minutes. This game is quickly loosing appeal though as I am tired of playing the same areas over and over.

I am currently leveling a demon hunter after getting my 60 monk through Act 1 of Inferno. I can no longer advance my monk any further without dying every few minutes. This game is quickly loosing appeal though as I am tired of playing the same areas over and over.

Tonight you might have a chance of actually progressing a little better due to the upcoming patch.

And yea, playing the same areas over and over again, can obviously get very tiring/boring. I don't mind it, after all the mmo's I've played. I'd rather kill a billion demons in the same dungeon every 20 minutes, then do the same in an mmo, at half the speed, with nothing inline towards aan 'upgrade' gear rise.

(I'm still playing rift MMO, and only gear upgrades I can get, are through raiding, which I stil do twice a week..Theres very little I can 'achieve' through random dungeons in that game, and i've probably run 'those' more times then I've run act 1 in D3....)

with nothing inline towards aan 'upgrade' gear rise

Well, Isn't that what you do at D# aswell?

There are still 'upgrades' for me in D3.

And in the upcoming patch, you'll actually be able to get act 4 gear in act 1 ( at a lower drop rate of course).

Aka, I'm not 'stuck' in limbo waiting for a 'raid' 'twice' a week. I can just hop on, kill some things, get some gold, hit the auction house, and if i'm lucky, Something I can actually use, drops.

Archived