DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Diablo 3

Arez Al'Loke

There are a lot of reasons for why Diablo III probably wont be on a console any time soon.

Control issues (anything you do in the game that involves mouse clicking at a specific points, so a lot)

Paid patching etc. (Not sure if this is only true for Microsoft or if Sony also follows this model)

Real money Auction House (Blizzard has made the decision to bank on the Real money auction house, something that the hardware manufacturers would never allow unless they got the cut that Blizzard takes)

Battle.net (Diablo III, like all Blizzard games, tie heavily into the Battle.net system, which would also have to be incorporated on consoles)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Community Administrator

Theres still the 'gold auction house' that compliments with the real money auction house. And honestly given the amount of 'children' on the consoles, I wouldn't want them to even touch the RMAH on d3 on console :P

They would have to devise an 'auto loot' button on the console, something that isn't curently in-game.

There are a lot of reasons for why Diablo III probably wont be on a console any time soon.

Control issues (anything you do in the game that involves mouse clicking at a specific points, so a lot)

Paid patching etc. (Not sure if this is only true for Microsoft or if Sony also follows this model)

Real money Auction House (Blizzard has made the decision to bank on the Real money auction house, something that the hardware manufacturers would never allow unless they got the cut that Blizzard takes)

Battle.net (Diablo III, like all Blizzard games, tie heavily into the Battle.net system, which would also have to be incorporated on consoles)

Control issues - I HATE the clicking of the mouse. I think it is VERY easy to change this to a joystick. I thought this worked beautifully in the Diablo 2 port to PS2.

Paid Patching - not sure what this has to do with porting it. Console users may just have to pony up more money or maybe the consoles patch for free. This does not deter the game from being ported over though.

Real Money Auction House - Don't even have it on the console. Seriously, is anyone actually using this feature? If you are I know a nigerian prince that needs money too. Now the gold auction house is smart but again you just cut this feature from the console.

Battle.net - Again they had no issues getting around this when they ported Diablo 2. I know, Battle.net wasn't around then but I do not see this as a stumbling block for consoles.

Basically given the controlls, the 'attacking' would be entirely directional. (Left move, right directional attack,) But how would you pick a targer, Behind a target with directional controls on the console? Now take a wizards Teleport. How would that work? (Note you can, on the PC, teleport anywhere you click relatively on the screen.)

X is main attack, A is secondary, RB, LB, LT, RT are 1 - 4. I think I just solved the case Watson! You wouldn't target so much as choose a direction and go to town. I don't know Teleport on wizard yet.

Basically given the controlls, the 'attacking' would be entirely directional. (Left move, right directional attack,) But how would you pick a targer, Behind a target with directional controls on the console? Now take a wizards Teleport. How would that work? (Note you can, on the PC, teleport anywhere you click relatively on the screen.)

X is main attack, A is secondary, RB, LB, LT, RT are 1 - 4. I think I just solved the case Watson! You wouldn't target so much as choose a direction and go to town. I don't know Teleport on wizard yet.

You'd still have to aim, and the most logical way to do so, would be to use the right stick, to 'angle' your character, and the left stick, to 'move' that character, in that direction. The way teleport works is, you click a spot, and you go there. You would not be able to do that, on the console, unless the 'right stick' acts like a 'mouse cursor'.

Real Money Auction House - Don't even have it on the console. Seriously, is anyone actually using this feature? If you are I know a nigerian prince that needs money too. Now the gold auction house is smart but again you just cut this feature from the console.

Its not even activated on the PC yet. And the part you are missing on this, is that players submit items, to be sold and they get the 'money' for them. Its esentially taking something that already exists (people paying money for virtual items) and making a game feature... where blizzard takes its cut.

Gold Auction, means you'll be able to trade all those sick items you got, that you can't use, to other players for obscenes amount of gold, so you can use that obscene amount of gold you sold it for, to buy that item you could actually use.

This means, when you 'leave a game' you don't have to spam a trade channel' "WTS XXXX for $$$$$" in game gold. Gold auction house is definately a 'good' thing.

Paid Patching - not sure what this has to do with porting it. Console users may just have to pony up more money or maybe the consoles patch for free. This does not deter the game from being ported over though.

Pc games have this thing, where they constantly patch over the yeras to get out all the bugs, and even add in new features. And paid patching is entirely a 'console' issue. not a pc one. And it really does deter from the game being ported over. It means, for one thing.

You on the console, can't play with people on another console, or even agaisnt/with people on the PC, simply because the Pc version is probably going to stay around 10 patches ahead of the consoles, with the 360 and ps3 racing for who has the 'best' patch.

And since we are talking about blizzard here... ITs going to be around 2 months before we get a 'good' patch, at least. May as well double or triple that for on the console.

Heres another clicking issue. for you though.

Looting is done by clicking.

You autopick up gold.

but when you get higher level, you skip picking up those 'white' items, and just pick up blue or better gear. Unless console has some kind of 'cross hair' system with the 'right click' all yoru going to do, is have an auto-loot feature, that picks up everything. (Thats really not a good thing.)

Side note..

What do you mean Diablo 2 on the Ps2? I can't find anything about that. Closet one I know of (and acutally own) is Diablo 1, for the PS1. And even then, those are two diferent games, from two different eras. Control wise there are alot of differences on em.

But you can hook up a 360 controller and play D3 on the PC Emp.

At least thats what i've been told.

Well, for the teleport problem, there's a number of ways it could be resolved. Like it could be a hold down button and moving target location in the direction of the right analog. Would be hard in bad situations so could also have a double tap of the button that instantly transports to the edge of the screen. Plenty of ways you could think of for it.

Paid patching I agree with you. Would most probably only go on PS3.

For looting, could be a menu options to auto loot everything/blues+/golds+/etc...

Well, for the teleport problem, there's a number of ways it could be resolved. Like it could be a hold down button and moving target location in the direction of the right analog. Would be hard in bad situations so could also have a double tap of the button that instantly transports to the edge of the screen. Plenty of ways you could think of for it.

Paid patching I agree with you. Would most probably only go on PS3.

For looting, could be a menu options to auto loot everything/blues+/golds+/etc...

Ironically, I actually made a post asking for an auto-loot function like that silver, for d3 (just cause, I keep 'lootin'g instead of attacking mobs, cause... the loot gets in the way!) But unless they do that on PC, it wont' happen on console. :P

The basic gist of waht I'm getting at, is the game on the console would effectively have to use one of the 'joy sticks' as a 'mouse cursor' to do everything you can do on the pc version. otherwise, you are left with a point blank, attack in the direction you are facing, problem. cours ethe problem with using left to move, and right to 'aim' is of course.. the game doesn't function like that as it is... the direction you move, is the direction you face/attack. so you can be running backwards, while shooting forward for instance... (however that would maek things... easier in some cases, but you just can't do that atm.)

From the article I read, it sounds like Sony is less strict than M$ when it comes to content patches. They still care, but it also seems they 'are' open to having game companies host there OWN servers, instead of those servers being' part' of there 'own' server. (aka, it be like Battle field 3. Ps3 version.. DICE could have there own. but 360, M$ wants '360/Dice Server they just want that 'extra' control over the game and the money. D3 is going to be patched.. and its going to be patched alot. Unless Blizz were to update monthly on pc, and quarterly+ for 360/ps3... It'll almsot have to be shipped 'as-is'.

Ironically, I actually made a post asking for an auto-loot function like that silver, for d3 (just cause, I keep 'lootin'g instead of attacking mobs, cause... the loot gets in the way!) But unless they do that on PC, it wont' happen on console. :P

I rarely have that problem. You can hold down left click to continue attacking. And if the next enemy is close enough, just move your mouse over it and you will continue attacking without having to re click.

Your generally a DH not melee though. in admists the enemies as a monk, with all the loot dropping around you, i've had issues where, even when I wasn't even clicking near loot, the dumb guy would still try and pick it up.

Hey all, hope no one minds me jumping in. Loving this game so far, it keeps some of the best elements of D2 and makes it way more visually appealing. I do miss the old skill point system a little bit, I enjoyed the uniqueness from a very specific skill build that would completely eschew unneeded skills and allow you to overpower your chosen skills slightly by loading all the points into those. But at the same time, being able to try every skill your class offers and having it scale to your level and difficulty (instead of pumping points in) so that it's immediately viable is very nice.

Release day was crazy, I slept from 10 PM til 2 AM, then got up for the 3 AM eastern launch. Thankfully, my friends and I managed to all get in through the massive traffic influx after about an hour and create characters, and played until I had to head to work.

I'm playing as a Monk, and he's epic. He's so fast, and does crazy amounts of damage. I'm currently in Normal Act 3, as I haven't had a ton of time to play. (Side note - I would really really appreciate everyone trying not to spoil anything about the game)

Anyone tried the auction house yet? I've tried putting up a few rare items, but haven't gotten any bites. If you think about it, it could be used quite effectively: since items sell for basically nothing in-game, you can simply sell it in the auction house for a couple hundred (or more depending on rarity) - buyers get a better price than in-game merchants (again, depending on rarity), and sellers make more gold than they would selling in-game. I think it's could be huge, assuming you can get someone to buy your items, of course. I put the bidding minimum for my rare crossbow at 1000, and the buyout at 5000. So let's say the final auction price is like 1300 gold, or something. That's still way more than I would make selling it in game, and a rare for 1300 is a major steal for the buyer. The merchant I found in one of the optional caves who sold rare items was asking for 3-4K gold apiece.

I'm actually pretty close to beating the game on normal. I haven't tried the auction house... but I've got a few items stashed away to try it with, one of which is a legendary item. I have no idea what to value it at though.

No luck? sell cheaper. anything pre lvl 50 is going to sell for very very low... and even the lvl 50+ items, have to fall within specific stats just to be valued at those prices or above.

Example? I had a lvl 57 item drop. It had 150 dps.

I've had items lvl 47 drop, with 250+ dps. The 150 dps item.. .was vendor trash, no one lvl 57... is going to buy a 150dps weapon.. period. Now if that were a lvl 30 weapon? Yea it'll sell, nicely.

Lower the price, it'll sell faster, than if you have it at a high price. Its very easy to put up an item that people want, at a low price and have it sell in under 20 minutes.

Finally beat Normal! Woo.

I beat it the second night. I'm on nightmare now. Not sure which part exactly, I think about to fight The Butcher. But being a Wizard is a pain in the ass.

Really? I was thinking of making a Wizard. Why are they a pain in the ass?

If anyone cares, here's my build/layout:

Azrael, Level 32

Left click: Crippling Wave + Mangle rune

Right click: Lashing Tail Kick + Sweeping Armada rune

Skill 1: Breath of Heaven + Blazing Wrath rune

Skill 2: Sweeping Wind + Master of Wind rune

Skill 3: Mystic Ally + Water Ally rune

Skill 4: Mantra of Conviction

Passive skills: Exalted Soul (+100 Max Spirit), Chant of Resonance (+7 minutes for Mantras, +2 Spirit/sec), and Seize the Initiative (+Armor = to DEX)

Head: Divine Hunger (Spirit Stone - Rare), 96 DEF: +39 STR, +18 DEX, Health Globes grant +126 life, 1 socket - Amethyst, +7% Life

Shoulders: Feral Spaulders of Cruelty (Spaulders - Magic), 76 DEF: +55 DEX, +12 VIT

Torso: Barren Tunic (Chest Armor - Rare), 107 DEF: +31 VIT, +8% MF, +7 EXP for kills, Health globes grant +166 life, 1 socket - Emerald, +14 DEX

Hands: Wealth Clasp (Gloves - Rare), 86 DEF: +92 DEX, +49 INT, +25 VIT, +10% gold, +7 EXP for kills, +5 yards globes/gold pickup

Wrists: Feral Bracelets of the Hawk (Bracelets - Magic), 43 DEF: +58 DEX, +18 VIT

Waist: Dread Myth (Belt - Rare), 46 DEF: +24 DEX, +27 VIT, +10 EXP for kills, melee attacks take 5 dmg

Legs: Clever Plate Leggings of Cruelty (Plate Leggings - Magic), 95 DEF: +40 DEX, +13 EXP for kills

Feet: Mending Sabatons of the Hawk (Sabatons - Magic), 65 DEF: +58 DEX, Health globes grant +65 life

Ring1: Keen Ring of Wounding (Ring - Magic): +2-4 dmg, increase atk speed +6%

Ring2: Vital Faze (Ring - Rare): +35 STR, +37 DEX, +11 INT, increase atk speed +6%, hits add +8 life, regen 6 life/sec, 1 socket - Flawless Amethyst, +18 VIT

Amulet: Biting Rosary (Amulet - Rare): +3-6 dmg, +36 VIT, hits add +3 life, 1 socket - Flawless Emerald, +18 DEX

Weapon: Slaughter Tomb (Daibo - Rare), 29-54 dmg/50.2 DPS, 1.21 atks/sec: +2-4 Cold dmg, increase atk speed +10%, gain 1.2 Life per Spirit spent, 1 socket - Flawless Ruby, +10-20 DMG

Strength: 113

Dexterity: 510

Intelligence: 99

Vitality: 238

Armor: 1234

DPS: 499.93

Hmm, well I think that's going to be a risk for any caster class in just about any RPG. However, I believe the Wizard can use Diamond Skin AND an Armor skill (Ice Armor, Storm Armor, Energy Armor) simultaneously. Are you using those?

Archived