DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Riddle Thread - White Tower's First Ever Aes Sedai/Der'Manshima Appreciation Week

In the tranquil gardens of the White Tower, midway between the Tower and the Warders' training grounds, a cloaked figure sits perched on a stone, as though on an island in a swirling white gravel sea. As you approach, your footsteps make crunching noises on the gravel, which glows luminous in the night. A few stars glitter overhead. You pause in front of the figure, who raises her head and removes her hood. In the dim light, you can barely make out the features of Athena... until she unshutters a dark-lantern which gleams with a friendly glow.

Welcome, senior members of the White Tower.

Channelling Fire and Air, (a weave that possibly might be familiar to any who strayed into the Great Hall during the FoF) Athena makes a ring of floating lights in the air, and ties the weaves off, leaving a circlet of glimmering firelights that illuminate the garden, and take the night chill off the air.

It is the hour for riddles, in the dim and the darkness. Can you decipher these puzzles? They are difficult, true, but the rewards are great. This game is one of two where you, dear senior members, may compete for points, and these points you may use to choose "pets" as a reward for all the hard work you put in to make this forum function. There will be many pets to choose from, among us Aspies - and the ones of you with highest points get first pick! In fact - I myself am one of the "pets" up for "auction". And I can tell you, who ever is foolish lucky enough to pick me will have quite a time...

Well, since you're all excited, let's get started, shall we?

Each riddle will be related to the Wheel of Time. (I made them up myself). Each participant can guess as many times as he/she wishes. Each correct guess will earn the clever deducer 2 points. However, a guess that has a good line of reasoning behind it, or is "half-right" will give the guesser 1 point. Also I may give out points to people who impress me with their antics or erudition. As with my "Hang the Fool" game, please wait for at least one other person to guess before you double-post. If no one can guess after a certain period of time, I will give out some cryptic hints.

One more rule: only senior members may participate until the 13th of April. After that I'll be opening the game to all, but just for fun, not points, until the 17th.

Riddle One:

"I am the vulpine one, the cold-heart, who can wound the indestructible, and face the strongest force."

Answer: Mat's foxhead medallion.

Participants: Points

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elgee already stated my guess. Shiaine/Milly was often referred to in the books as "vulpine."

My other guess might have been the Eelfin but there's definitely more than one of those so it doesn't really fit the clue.

I think it is a Fox Head Medallion. Foxes are Vulpine, it turns cold when people channel, it hurts the gholam - who is otherwise indestructable and it stops the One Power from affecting you.

Totally what I was thinking, Ithi!

Athena grins, her smile glittering in the light from the floating fires.

Ithillian is correct! It is indeed the fox-head medallion! I can understand why people thought it wa Millie Skane though - I deliberately said "vulpine" rather than "fox-faced" to throw people off the scent.

Three points to Ithi.

Riddle 2: My mouth burns when I roar. My children are never born, but destroy lives.

Answer: Aludra's Dragons

Participants: Points:

Elgee 2

Daruya

Ithillian 4

Tynaal

Keyholder

Mystica 1

Athena blushes in chagrin, although in the darkness this is only discernable as a deepening in the colours of her cheeks, a slight shading.

Sorry EP - I thought you were a Warder - my bad.

Well done Mother! Well reasoned, and yes, you are correct.

Now, I've discussed with Aiel Heart, and in order for one game not to give massively more pet-earning points than another - I have decided to change the rules so that every correct guess two gives 2 points. This is so that I can post more riddles and we can have more fun. I'm sorry Ithi and Elgee, but you are still equally on par.

Now, on to Riddle Three.

Athena's voice drops to a husky whisper, and she stands up, balancing on the stone. As she intones the riddle, she swirls her cape and dances on the tip of the rock, in a dance reminiscent of a duel.

I do not hate you. You do not hate me. I search, but you do not see me. Yet my knife flashes on the edge of sight, between the darkness and the light. You are dead. I am not alive.

Answer: A Grey Man

Athena channels and the fires in the air spin crazily, casting flickering patterns of light and shadow. They stabilise, and she laughs merrily.

Well done Ithi! Correct again! I'm sorry Mystica - I'll give you a point too as I sympathise with your having less time to spend on DM (not everyone has smart-phones - I know I don't - though personally I'm glad Ithi can be on so often as she makes DM so much fun!).

Well, last riddle before I go to bed:

Riddle 4: After the death of the leopardess, the cub submits to the raven to be shorn.

Answer:

Participants: Points:

Elgee 2

Daruya

Ithillian 4

Tynaal

Keyholder

Mystica 1

Yes you can, but wait for someone else to guess before you post again. I'm sorry, but the answer isn't Ba'alzamon. His eyes burn, but the riddle specifically says "mouth burns when I roar".

His mouth has fires too. Specifically in Book Three when he is fighting Rand.

Archived