DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Weekend Plans

Ryrin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm debating Tudor, myself, Lady! Can't decide if I want to commit all the way to that one or not. Haha

Today was my last day of post planning, so my weekend will consist of fighter practice and maybe some essential oil discussion. That's about it. :-)

Which part, Ryrin? The changing of styles? You can wear what you want! That's my favorite part! I can be Tudor or Caesarian Roman, whichever I wish, even though my persona is Celtic/English married to a Welshman! ha!

My persona is War of the Roses into 'early' Tudor (as we have aged since I started college and I think the earlier Tudor stuff is lovely. ;) ). I'm also making most of of my Tudor out of lighter fabrics (sticking with linens and such) instead of going for 'heavy' brocades. Ansteorran summers are miserable for the full multi-layer clothing of the period (which had much cooler weather than we do). 

I do also have a fair number of 'slightly earlier century' sideless surcoats and under-dresses for dealing with the heat and all the kitchen work/waterbearing and other work I do where "fancy" would be a detriment. 

Conveniently, my husband has the same time period I do! (Though his persona is English, and mine Scots). I did not know anything about that when I chose my period and persona (we had not met more than twice at the time). 

It's nice to be able to play mix-and-match as well. :smile: And come up with stories to fit it! "Oh, I happen to know a Russian merchant who travelled all the way to Japan once." 

Which part, Ryrin? The changing of styles? You can wear what you want! That's my favorite part! I can be Tudor or Caesarian Roman, whichever I wish, even though my persona is Celtic/English married to a Welshman! ha!

How do you choose those?

I saw some Roman guys at my first event.

Ryrin, you can choose based on your own personal interests. :smile: There are many ways to choose the period of your persona. Some choose based on a pre-existing interest, others by learning about them and then deciding which one they are most interested in doing/portraying/learning more about. There are, of course, a goodly number that have chosen based on 'oh I really want to wear THAT!' 

Generally your choice of costume is tied in to the persona you choose (matching name) though as there is no rule that you 'have' to do so, there is of course more flexibility. Such as you've seen the many folks who may wear a different period in the winter because it's warm, and another in the summer because it's far more comfortable. That's the joy of being a re-creation group instead of extremely strict reinactment. :smile: 

As an example, I choose to wear styles within about a century of my persona's life (oh, this old thing? Belonged to my grandmother... ;) ), and within cultures she would have gotten clothing from. Conveniently, portraying Scots, the court clothing was often whatever was fashionable in England or France. And as I have married an Englishman (my husband's persona) it is easy for me to wear the clothing of the period of my persona, which began in the War of the Roses and (as we have chosen) ages slowly into the reign of Henry VII. 

I chose Scotland because well, I've always loved Scotland, (and really, most of my life I was pretty much Merida from Brave minus the noble birth). It fit my personality quirks well and doesn't require corseting or crazy head-pieces. 

The fun of it is that you do not 'have' to be completely consistent. After all I have a friend who is a 1000's Englishwoman, married to a 1300's Viking. She tends to wear Viking clothing because it's comfortable. I also have a few viking style tunics that I wear in the winter because they're very warm. 

On the theme of this is still the 'weekend plans' thread...my weekend plan involves Gaming with friends. :wink:  

When I first started playing with the SCA, I wanted to portray an Iron Age Celt, partly because I was exploring the mythology but mostly convenience - early period garb is incredibly simple to make. A year later, I was wearing a great kilt and exploring Scottish history. Why? Family history stuff.

When I came back, I started exploring the Byzantines, traveled north via the Varangian guard, went west and portrayed an early Anglo-Saxon and I'm now somewhere in 14th century Finland. Your persona's career will transform and migrate through regions and eras.

Heck, our Shire is hosting a fencing college this month and our Seneschal asked me and another guy if we would be tavern wenches at feast. So, that's happening.

My first year in the SCA was a little confusing but I figured it out by observing, asking questions and taking chances and getting messy. We have a sense of medieval pageantry that we wish to explore through these various avenues of craft, art and martial prowess. However you decide to express that sense (The Dream, as it's called) is totally up to you, Ry.

And if that means wenching at an event to help out our fencers, then so be it.

Archived