DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

If you could travel anywhere right now...

Corki

...where would it be, and why?

I'll start off.

I really want to travel to Italy. I have been to Greece, and have seen plenty of the historical sites there! But since I am a Classicist, I want to travel to Italy and know more about the other country that is central to my degree. Also, I would be very much interested in the other historical sites of importance in Italy, especially in the Vatican and Venice.

Hopefully one day I can fulfil my dream!

Ok...now your turn! You can post more places than just one, but do so in separate threads!

I would like to travel the world, but the first place I would like to go is probably the Holy Land. Not so much for the religious aspect of it, although that is a reason as well. But more for the historical aspect of it. I absolutely love history and from what I am told by people who have been there, its like walking into the past.

Well, living in any European country is pretty much living in the past, sort of speaking. Though I'm still very drawn to castles and the like, I'm even more interested in the ancient past.

However, the number one destination on my list is New Zealand. Not for the lOTR hipe, but simply because ever since I was 9 and I saw my first documentary of NZ I was hooked. I remember staring at the screen with a feeling that I was looking at my home. Not made of brick and mortar, but of trees, fields, mountains, seashores and what not.

Of cours, much as I love LOTR I also hate it in the way that is has made NZ a top destination for tourists. And we all know what happens to a place that is swamped with tourists.

Yes, I know, I'd be a tourist too if I went. Although, there would be a huge chance of me not coming back if I ever made it there lol.

Well, I would say the Great Barrier Reef, as I love to dive, but there are better spots on the coast of Madang, Papua New Guinea, and I've "been there done that" (and want to do it again).

umm, I would love to go to Normandy, see where D-day was fought, I am fascinated with history of World War II.

I also would love to visit Sicily, and the place where Operation Mincemeat took place, I just...can't get enough of history...well, let me tell you something, We don't have Cable TV, cuz my dad says it would take up all day...and it would, buut, when we're in a hotel or something (which happens not tooo infrequently), History Channel is almost always on for a lil while...When it's not the Discovery Channel (or Cartoon Network for all my lil bros...).

I'd just go back home to Oregon. There are so many things I used to take for granted that I would go take advantage of if I could go anywhere... Mom cooking food, paying the utility bills, doing laundry... Oregon State football games, getting in free to the Highschool games to help the Band, my baby nephew.. the list goes on.

I'd love to do a tour of the Scottish Islands, starting with Orkney, the Shetland Isles and the Hebrides and working my way right down the west coast. Partly for the history as I've want to see Skara Brae since I was very young and partly for the chance to do more family tree research. Also just because the islands are beautiful and a part of my country I haven't seen much of.

My second choice would be Nijmagen in Holland. My grandfather is buried there as he died there in 1944 at the end of the war with the Canadian North Nova Scotia Highlanders. He never had the chance to know his son (my father) or his grand-daughter and it would be a mark of respect to at least go see his grave.

My first choice would be Firenze, Italy ! I love this old city. there's so much to see, old buildings museums (i really love the italian paintings like the ones of botticelli) and italians are friendly peeps.

The food there is so good and the temperature a bit higher than here :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, if I could go to any one place right now it would have to be...Italy.

Yah, definitely Italy. Why? Because I love traditional Italian cuisine and wine. Oh, it is wonderfully good.

Ever have a real Italian dinner where you start with a fresh loaf of bread and a beer and nine courses and three bottles of wine later your sipping on Sambuca and regailing your fellow diners with alcohol soaked stories from your past.

I would love to do that but in Italy, in Tuscany or Venice. I love old architecture and colorful culture. the Italians definitely have plenty of that.

I would love to explore Eastern Europe and see the major cities. My parents have been to a few (Budapest and Prague) and they had good times. I have an appetite for travel, and would love to visit these places to sample their food and drink, as well as take in the history associated with those places.

I think I will actually do this one day, especially since we have Inter-rail tickets over here in Europe. It is such a good scheme, and I seriously want to take advantage of it since it unfortunatelely didn't work over the last few years.

Also, I want to see these places before they are spoiled, most probably by Stag Parties that use these places for their check alcohol.

Antarctica. I would sail from Argentina down to the forgotten continent, that way I could boast Ive been on every continent on Earth (although, my only foray into Africa was two days in Morocco!!!)

Well done to everyone else. Everything everyone has said would all be great places to go!!!

Archived