DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Great Hunt 2011

Sid

This looks an awful lot like a part of the story to me.

I'm reading through some of it, and it is reading like descriptions of characters in some parts, telling a story in another. A POV of someone.

Something tells me it is PART of a chapter of AMOL.

The 3rd Paragraph starts with TAM stood about 5'5 Tall. Something something strikingly handsome with a fair complexion.

Etc. etc.

Anwyay, havent read the comments yet. Just threw my 2 cents into the wild.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks an awful lot like a part of the story to me.

I'm reading through some of it, and it is reading like descriptions of characters in some parts, telling a story in another. A POV of someone.

Something tells me it is PART of a chapter of AMOL.

The 3rd Paragraph starts with TAM stood about 5'5 Tall. Something something strikingly handsome with a fair complexion.

Etc. etc.

Anwyay, havent read the comments yet. Just threw my 2 cents into the wild.

It looks to be notes, Terez and others deciphered the first part although now it seems as if there is still more to be unlocked.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jN2GaetM3281YU9p2eiWy1fFzaby2PbVnNKejeSB-jE/edit?pli=1

Has anyone every bothered to ask if there are any plans to release ALL of RJ's notes? I'd even be willing to pay for a supplemental book with scans of all the notes, almost like a compendium of random knowledge. Just looking at Cadsuane's backstory, there's a lot of depth to her character beyond what comes up in the books.

They could release essentially a post-humous memoirs on his Wheel of Time experiences. Possible plot twists he since reconsidered/etc.

Has anyone every bothered to ask if there are any plans to release ALL of RJ's notes? I'd even be willing to pay for a supplemental book with scans of all the notes, almost like a compendium of random knowledge. Just looking at Cadsuane's backstory, there's a lot of depth to her character beyond what comes up in the books.

They could release essentially a post-humous memoirs on his Wheel of Time experiences. Possible plot twists he since reconsidered/etc.

This is old information (from around the time Gathering Storm came out). If someone can update it?

There's gonna be an encyclopedia written by Harriet after aMoL.

Sanderson would like to, after that, put up the 'annotations' he does on his website (which are quite cool for his other books), which would probably include the last bit of these notes. (especially seeing how little actually new information is in this example - which probably ain't a random one). But, last I heard, Harriet and TOR are opposed to this.

This is old information (from around the time Gathering Storm came out). If someone can update it?

There's gonna be an encyclopedia written by Harriet after aMoL.

Sanderson would like to, after that, put up the 'annotations' he does on his website (which are quite cool for his other books), which would probably include the last bit of these notes. (especially seeing how little actually new information is in this example - which probably ain't a random one). But, last I heard, Harriet and TOR are opposed to this.

Nothing has changed really. Brandon still wants to do annotations, still thinks it's unlikely Harriet will let him, because RJ didn't like people looking at material he hadn't prepared to be released to the public, and the notes fall into that category. I'm guessing the Cadsuane bit was the most polished bit; they seem to be implying that they didn't doctor it up, that it was 'lifted straight from the notes'. If I had to guess, I'd guess that Harriet feels really weird about these little paragraphs being tacked on as they're obviously little notes to himself, while Cadsuane was obviously written with Harriet's encyclopedia in mind.

Releasing his notes is no different than a family releasing memoirs or a daughter of a scientist or another great architect passing on a father's research for others to study. It is one last foundation stone cementing and completing the wonder and admiration of who someone was. The notes are a large ring of strange and curious-looking keys set into our hands in a house of a thousand locked doors, each with hidden treasure in the rooms beyond.

Releasing his notes is no different than a family releasing memoirs or a daughter of a scientist or another great architect passing on a father's research for others to study. It is one last foundation stone cementing and completing the wonder and admiration of who someone was. The notes are a large ring of strange and curious-looking keys set into our hands in a house of a thousand locked doors, each with hidden treasure in the rooms beyond.

I may, in some ways, respectfully disagree. RJ had reservations against anything coming out that he ddn't feel was ready to be viewed by the public. In a way, it seems he may have seen his notes as a sort of private diary of his creation. I'm not saying I wouldn't LOVE to see all the sticky-notes he left himself about this-and-that chapter or whatever, but I can understand the family respecting his own feelings about his notes, at least for now. I'm certain we'll get plenty of it at some later date.

However, let it be noted that he is revealing extra stuff because we decoded it.

Woot woot, you know it! Never expect to keep something secret for long when you're dangling it in front of these WoT fans. Too bad I was travelling those last couple of days or we'd have done it at least 12 hours earlier.

I was wondering why you disappeared there toward the end.

I said I had to go to Michigan something like six times in the days prior, obviously from how much I saw you on the document you never sleep so it's no surprise you forgot ;) unfortunately I doubt my boss would have accepted me missing a $600 non-refundable flight plus the hotel reservations, training expenses etc. because I blew him off for WoT...the day I CAN convince him of that I'll throw a party. And then once I got settled in I got locked out of the page due to too many viewers and couldn't do much :( although it obviously took off pretty quickly around that time.

Yeah, I wish there was some way to give preference to signed-in viewers over anonymous ones. I'm convinced many of the anonymous floaters were spambots anyway, simply because WoT forums are not quite that culturally diverse.

I spent a lot of time as an anonymous viewer watching your progress and throwing in a suggestion or two on occasion. I'm sure there were many more "lurkers" like me.

I don't really know how bots work, but if it really was/is a problem, I wouldn't mind a sign-in obligation if there ever is another Great Hunt.

Many thanks for setting it up, btw. I truly enjoyed it,

I think the work Christopher Tolkien did on the History of Middle Earth (all 12 volumes) would be a good template for what could be done with Jordan's notes in a respectful manner. With a good author they can be snipped into more of an editorial dialog so that it isn't just long disjointed paragraphs. If its good enough for JRR...

I think the work Christopher Tolkien did on the History of Middle Earth (all 12 volumes) would be a good template for what could be done with Jordan's notes in a respectful manner. With a good author they can be snipped into more of an editorial dialog so that it isn't just long disjointed paragraphs. If its good enough for JRR...

Let. Harriet. Handle. It.

Nuff Said.

I'm convinced many of the anonymous floaters were spambots anyway

What exactly does a spambot do? I don't quite get the point of those programs. They sound tasty, though.

I'm not sure what they were doing there, aside from taking up space.

What exactly does a spambot do? I don't quite get the point of those programs. They sound tasty, though.

i'm likely off base as it were, but couldn't they have just been watchers that didn't have an account?

edit: i lurked here for years, even before wotmania went down without making an account, and i had an account on wotmania after lurking it for a few years.

Let. Harriet. Handle. It.

Nuff Said.

You're right, matter of fact lets shut down this whole website. Relax Francis.

i'm likely off base as it were, but couldn't they have just been watchers that didn't have an account?

edit: i lurked here for years, even before wotmania went down without making an account, and i had an account on wotmania after lurking it for a few years.

Like I said earlier, they were way too geographically diverse to be normal lurkers. Unless there are more Korean and Arab lurkers than English-speaking ones. Which I suppose is possible...

Archived