DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Blademaster Worthiness

Grizz

Hammar may have fought half-heartedly and been afraid to strike down a favorite student.

So you'll pull that out of NOWHERE. 100% complete speculation, but you will NOT accept the fact that while Gawyn says Galad is better, he ALSO says that he owes Galad for saving his life and all the evidence of him differing just about anything to Galad, including Egwene who he obviously loved. But you refuse to consider he might throw a sword fight?

Does anyone else read this as "It's ok for me to speculate but you're not allowed"?

...and just to throw this out there, you do realise that Galad is almost a decade older than Gawyn?

You also failed to provide any reason why Galad shouldn't be ranked above Gawyn, all you have done so far is provide Gawyn's exploits.

I mean it's been a little more than a year since they were both in the tower training together, where Galad was clearly the better of the two. Since then, both have been out and about doing almost exactly the same thing, Galad fighting along side the CotL and Gawyn, the younglings.

Soooo...at what point and what experiences exactly did Gawyn miraculously catch up to Galad, let alone pass him?

Fair question, no?

You seem to be of the opinion that Galad couldn't of beaten the 3 Bloddknives at once. Well, what makes you think that Gawyn could of beaten Valda? There is no proof or evidence for either conclusion.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And about Galad vs Valda. You have to remember also experience counts a lot in a fight. How many people had Galad fought in the past, in real circumstances where life and death was on the line(as opposed to a spar)? How many people had Galad actually killed? None(that i can remember).

Actually he killed a lot of the Masema followers in Samara.

I had forgot if he had killed or just held some people off in Samara. The only thing I really remember from him in Samara is him talking to Nynaeve, to be honest. :blush:

And about Galad vs Valda. You have to remember also experience counts a lot in a fight. How many people had Galad fought in the past, in real circumstances where life and death was on the line(as opposed to a spar)? How many people had Galad actually killed? None(that i can remember).

Actually he killed a lot of the Masema followers in Samara.

I had forgot if he had killed or just held some people off in Samara. The only thing I really remember from him in Samara is him talking to Nynaeve, to be honest. :blush:

while he was defending nyn and elayne on the way to the boat they were attacked. he went ahead of them out into the crowd, and was described as having a space around him where any who entered it died.

Ah ok.

I'm sure it's still a slightly different experience killing that rabble than fighting Valda one-on-one. Sure, killing the rabble was probably difficult(and maybe over looked by people in this thread? :P ) but it would have had a completely different atmosphere to fighting Valda.

But meh, that kinda diluted my point a bit. :dry:

"Valda could have been one of the best swordsmen in the world after Lan.. Lan was once out-matched by Ryne. I believe we had a similar situation with Galad vs. Valda."

I think Valda was the #2 blademaster in the world. I would like to see BS ranking him.

Valda was superior by a margin which was not that small. Lan and Ryne were nearly equal,"hair" difference according to Moraine. Thus what Galad accomplished is greater.

The way Galad is described, "Mr. Perfect", I suspect he will become the #1 blademaster in the world once Lan hits sufficent old age, and may become as good as Lan in his prime. He already has A+ genes, A+ natural talents, mental discpline, all he needs is more battles and training.

But what would be the point of pretending to be worse fighter than Galad ? There's no benefit for Galad in that, it's noted a number of times he doesn't take pride in besting the other trainees in the Tower and he's not one to boast. Not to mention that Galad and Gawyn have been training for years under very good teachers, who surely would've noticed if Gawyn was holding back intentionally and letting his brother best him. Do you really think Gawyn of all people would be able to keep that lie a secret for years? We know how successful he was in hiding that he falling in love with Egwene from Elayne - his sister noticed it pretty much right away.

Ok, firstly I can't believe this argument is still going on, but I find it fun to read. Secondly, I'd throw my hat in with Galad as being the better swordsman between him or Gawyn.

But I don't think Gawyn would ever hold back to let Galad seem superior. What I do think is that Gawyn would always profess Galad to be better because Gawyn has some serious inferiority issues mostly stemming from his relationship to Galad. Galad obviously seems to garner more attention than Gawyn, and remember Galad saved Gawyn's life when they were younger and Gawyn has always sort of idolized him since then. I think he puts Galad on a pedestal, and therefore due to his emotional view of Galad, could never see himself as surpassing him. I think Gawyn has a poor self image in some ways. Remember how in his dream he pictured himself as being more plain and less attractive than he really was. I think the opposite would be true of most people, they'd probably see themselves as their idealized self in a dream. I think that no matter what would happen, Gawyn always sees Galad as being above him based on that incident from their childhood.

Also, as far as Samara goes, Galad definitely killed men and cleaned house. It was his overall bad assery that drove that mob away from Elayne, Nynaeve and the rest of the group, and when it was all said and done, Galad was the only one who had been in the fighting without so much as a scratch on him.

You seem to be of the opinion that Galad couldn't of beaten the 3 Bloddknives at once. Well, what makes you think that Gawyn could of beaten Valda? There is no proof or evidence for either conclusion.

Glad to see everyone on the "Galad is obviously better" side has fallen so far as to be leaning on the "you can't compare them" argument. Really proves my whole point, which you've clearly missed.

I have no opinion one way or the other as to whether Galad could have or not, we have nothing to base that opinion around. We do have evidence that Gawyn can.

I never said there was PROOF Gawyn was better. I said there's nothing in the text to suggest Galad is better, and based on the hype around his quarry, and the writing of Gawyn's recent scenes, it appears that he is better. Therefore, obviously all my quotes would and should be from those scenes.

Galad carved a path through some dragonsworn rabble. Big freakin' whoop. And in that instance he was comparable only to random shienarians, that's all. I don't remember RJ every writing any scenes to hype up how awesome the Dragonsworn Rabble were, and how elite they were to make slaughtering them by the dozen any great feat.

And I don't think Gawyn would throw the fight on purpose. But he would have mentally crippled himself when fighting Galad, think, "he's so much better than me, I cannot win." Then it would simply come true and reaffirm that mental deficit.

Like when Rand fights girls, he's obviously disadvantaged by his opinion of killing women.

Galad carved a path through some dragonsworn rabble. Big freakin' whoop. And in that instance he was comparable only to random shienarians, that's all. I don't remember RJ every writing any scenes to hype up how awesome the Dragonsworn Rabble were, and how elite they were to make slaughtering them by the dozen any great feat.

And? Doesn't matter how elite they are. Unless you are a skilled fighter, you aren't going to overcome hordes of people(dragonsworn). And Galad must have been skilled. The dragonsworn wouldn't have been fighting them one-on-one, like you would see in a game or hollywood. They would have been all trying their best to swarm him, overrun him, outnumber so that he wouldn't have been able to handle him. Regardless of how hyped(or not) the dragonswarm, doing what Galad did is very difficult. I'm not saying this feat is better than any other feat, I am just saying it is a difficult thing to do.

has anyone considered that you fight differently in a battle as oppose to one on one, or one on three in the dark. so for the most part dumai wells, samara and such wouldn't really test your skills because you don't want to be mucking aobut for someone else to gut you in the back. also theres more to being a great swordsman than skill with the sword.

besides it doesn't matter because they wouldn't survive a night in ebou dar

Guest PiotrekS

But first Gawyn betrays the lawful Amyrlin and kills his teachers and friends in the Forsaken-organized coup in the Tower...

Even after that, when he finally comes to his senses and leaves Elaida's case for Egwene, he still abandons his soldiers. A commander leaving his unit is nothing short of another treason, whatever his motives.

Glad to see everyone on the "Galad is obviously better" side has fallen so far as to be leaning on the "you can't compare them" argument. Really proves my whole point, which you've clearly missed.

I have no opinion one way or the other as to whether Galad could have or not, we have nothing to base that opinion around. We do have evidence that Gawyn can.

I never said there was PROOF Gawyn was better. I said there's nothing in the text to suggest Galad is better, and based on the hype around his quarry, and the writing of Gawyn's recent scenes, it appears that he is better. Therefore, obviously all my quotes would and should be from those scenes.

And I don't think Gawyn would throw the fight on purpose. But he would have mentally crippled himself when fighting Galad, think, "he's so much better than me, I cannot win." Then it would simply come true and reaffirm that mental deficit.

Like when Rand fights girls, he's obviously disadvantaged by his opinion of killing women.

Glad you still like to infer what you want to.

Galad is better, that is the word of god, end of story. I am simply asking you how Galad fell below Gawyn and you once again answered exactly the same way...that we saw more of Gawyn, so he must be better. That is STILL the heart of your argument.

You think Gawyn is better because he beat 3 Bloodknives and won handily vs Sleet yet there is absolutely nothing to suggest that Galad couldn't of done the same but HE DIDN'T. There is also nothing to suggest that Gawyn also could of beat Valda but HE DIDN'T!

As far as this so called mental block being the reason Galad is better than Gawyn...ummm...how about Mat's PoV before they fought in tDR.

I guess Mat must also have some kind of mental block too because he could tell right away that Galad was the more dangerous of the two after only observing them for a few minutes.

As far as Galad swearing to Perrin...that was being Ta'veren at work. Thought that was really obvious by the way Galad was suddenly light-headed and drained after but I guess not eh.

I'm actually surprised you haven't told us all how Gawyn is better than Lan as well. I mean hell, we have rarely ever had any in depth action from any of Lan's fights so how could he possibly be as good as Gawyn. That IS what your logic dictates after all.

Another important difference between the mentality of both brothers.

Gawyn refuses to disclose or betray the younglings to gareth bryne.

Whereas Galad the A student gives his allegieance and that of the whitecloaks to the most worthless of the emond's fielders.

i have no opinion on this issue, and don't care whether gawyn or galad is the better blademaster. i make this comment just because you sound like a dick, and a simple one at that.

to start with galad didn't give his allegiance to perrin. he swore to take perrin as his commander in battle against the shadow, and to keep his own troops in line. he didn't give any secretes away, and there wasn't an active antagonism. (as there was between the tower and the rebels)

and yah, we get it, you don't like perrin. i like all of the characters myself, even the ones i don't like i like because i'm not supposed to like everyone. don't be a dick.

Galad is better, that is the word of god, end of story. I am simply asking you how Galad fell below Gawyn and you once again answered exactly the same way...that we saw more of Gawyn, so he must be better. That is STILL the heart of your argument.

You think Gawyn is better because he beat 3 Bloodknives and won handily vs Sleet yet there is absolutely nothing to suggest that Galad couldn't of done the same but HE DIDN'T. There is also nothing to suggest that Gawyn also could of beat Valda but HE DIDN'T!

As far as this so called mental block being the reason Galad is better than Gawyn...ummm...how about Mat's PoV before they fought in tDR.

I guess Mat must also have some kind of mental block too because he could tell right away that Galad was the more dangerous of the two after only observing them for a few minutes.

As far as Galad swearing to Perrin...that was being Ta'veren at work. Thought that was really obvious by the way Galad was suddenly light-headed and drained after but I guess not eh.

I'm actually surprised you haven't told us all how Gawyn is better than Lan as well. I mean hell, we have rarely ever had any in depth action from any of Lan's fights so how could he possibly be as good as Gawyn. That IS what your logic dictates after all.

honestly i don't understand why this argument persists. for those who don't debate this crap all the time as is done on this forum their opinion is as valid as anything we do here. but the fact is that if the author (whether it be the first author or the second) says something as a fact, its a fact. there is no debating that, it would be like debating whether lews therin killed himself with baelfire or not, we know that he didn't, because rj said so. but regardless of that, there is still a whole next book to come, maybe an answer will be there, i doubt it, because ranking blademasters seems to me a futile thing to do. head to head two blademasters of any skill level can go either way based on many variables. being a blademaster just displays proficiency with the blade, a blademaster knows how to use it expertly. how they use it is what a direct contest of skill would embody. and how you use your blade will have allot to do with your current mind state. the emotions you are feeling, and the state of your health.

a blademaster can always sheath the blade to win.

edit additive: i'd also like to mention that gawyn sheaths the blade to defeat the blood knives

Glad to see everyone on the "Galad is obviously better" side has fallen so far as to be leaning on the "you can't compare them" argument.

That's entirely incorrect; I've stated that while their "accomplishments" count for squat in determining who is a better blademaster, you can judge one against the other by their combat with other blademasters. This combat establishes the hierarchy, not slapping drones and peons around. However, as you say, there's limited text evidence one way or the other....

However, we do have WoG-RJ and WoG-BS and a limited amount of text to establish Galad as the clearly superior of the two. Text has Gawyn judging himself as the inferior blademaster of the pair not long before Gawyn whacks their blademaster mentors. Because of that self-assessment we know that Galad could have accomplished the same feat. The sparring with Sleete comes much further down the line, and things -could- have changed (still pre-bond) by then, but we have no text to back it up. Both men have field experience, both have been engaged in battle that has honed their skills, one with the Younglings, the other with the Whitecloaks.

As of Galad's killing of Valda, we have RJ putting Galad on par with One-Hand Rand, a confirmation that Gawyn does not receive. While that's not exactly proof positive, I'd say that BS's confirmation should be more than enough to clear the matter up.

Personally, I find it baffling that BS would get dismissed on this at all when he and Team Jordan are the only ones with the inside track.

STOP MENTIONING THE BLOODY QUOTES!

For.. the.. thousandths... time... I accept the quotes, what I said was, the text does not back up the quotes. If your answer to that is, "But there are quotes!" again, Light help you.

But of course Sanderson adds the part about Gawyn was lucky to his quote because he knows Gawyn's position in his rankinh is questionable. Otherwise he wouldn't have felt the need to add a rational ONLY for him. So even you words of god betray you.

Finnnssss, Lets ASSUME Galad was better back in the Tower. Gawyn got better by practicing and through practical application of their craft. Gawyn is a veteran of various battles and skirmishes, in the thick and in command. Galad is a veteran of duals and mowing down rabble.

But of course Sanderson adds the part about Gawyn was lucky to his quote because he knows Gawyn's position in his rankinh is questionable. Otherwise he wouldn't have felt the need to add a rational ONLY for him. So even you words of god betray you.

You do realize you are the single person on this forum that interprets the quote in that way correct? It takes a huge amount of mental gymnastics to try and make that work for you.

Finnnssss, Lets ASSUME Galad was better back in the Tower. Gawyn got better by practicing and through practical application of their craft. Gawyn is a veteran of various battles and skirmishes, in the thick and in command. Galad is a veteran of duals and mowing down rabble.

No reason to assume, we know for a fact he was. In addition Galad has been in just as many battles and skirmishes with the children at this point. If there is a difference in combat seen it's negligible.

You're claiming to know Sanderson's motives, and you don't have that insight. You're assuming that he added that because he knows Gawyn's ranking is questionable... questionable in a way that indicates people would be right to call the claim garbage. Which is nonsense, because he could be adding that because he knows it is questioned... rightly or not, Sanderson has insight into just WHY Gawyn is overhyped that we do not. He has the notes. He has Team Jordan. You're suggesting the "quotes betray me" and that's ridiculous, because they do no such thing.

You could completely ignore the fact that Galad is an experienced field commander of the Whitecloaks who earned his promotions in chaotic battlefield conditions under the far more experienced eye of Eamon Valda. He didn't just sit on his backside, letting his skills blunt and deteriorate.

Question: How long do you think Gawyn would have lasted against Eamon Valda in a protracted fight after learning that the man had raped his mother? Apply what you know about his overly-emotional mooning over Egwene to this.

Answer: Valda would have eaten him alive even if Gawyn were every bit as skilled as Galad.

Why? Because that kind of emotional handicap has no place in a battle between blademasters. It doesn't make Gawyn a bad blademaster, just inferior.

But first Gawyn betrays the lawful Amyrlin and kills his teachers and friends in the Forsaken-organized coup in the Tower...

Even after that, when he finally comes to his senses and leaves Elaida's case for Egwene, he still abandons his soldiers. A commander leaving his unit is nothing short of another treason, whatever his motives.

hey you forgot the part where i mentioned he was a c***. Part of that reason was the betrayal of siuan and killing of hammar and coulin. But i will give him his dues.

He finally realised his error in TOM.But the ballsy thing is he could have easily told the location and troop movements of the younglings to gareth bryne since he was on his side now. But he refused to do so.

whereas the A student the commander of a seperate independent fighting force with it's own history decided after a few encounters with the doofus wolf king to follow him and gave him his allegience. I don't know about you but that shows a total lack of leadership and again i have said that before. And of all the things he pickes perrin, some bearded fool with the most over protracted storyline in the series.

And when it comes to battles involving large scale groups, gawyn has the better resume. And that inevitably extends to his leadership qualities. The younglings were loyal to gawyn. Whereas galad got betrayed by one his own that led to capture and nearly his death. Some A student.

You amuse me. The things you write are absolutely so abusive and unsupported that I can only conclude you have no life in the real world and have staked out your territory like the fools who identify themselves with the Republicans or the Democrats.

Example: You said: "Galad is better, that is the word of god, end of story. I am simply asking you how Galad fell below Gawyn and you once again answered exactly the same way...that we saw more of Gawyn, so he must be better. That is STILL the heart of your argument."

The word of God, really? Are you out of your friggin mind? Just because BS says Galad is a better swordsman in his secret twinkie coveting mind doesn't mean he wrote it. Literature is full of examples of authors that meant one thing and wrote another. BS can tweet until he is blue in the face that Galad is the second coming and Moraine is a prizefighter, but until I see it in the published text, you can shove your bad boy attitude. You sound like some geek arguing why the Pegasus is a more powerful battle cruiser than the Enterprise. The facts are that Galad has gotten almost no attention from the author, and to use your juvenile words, PERIOD. Really, get a life with your personal attacks and your silly punctuation, try to act like a man.

You amuse me. The things you write are absolutely so abusive and unsupported that I can only conclude you have no life in the real world and have staked out your territory like the fools who identify themselves with the Republicans or the Democrats.

Example: You said: "Galad is better, that is the word of god, end of story. I am simply asking you how Galad fell below Gawyn and you once again answered exactly the same way...that we saw more of Gawyn, so he must be better. That is STILL the heart of your argument."

The word of God, really? Are you out of your friggin mind? Just because BS says Galad is a better swordsman in his secret twinkie coveting mind doesn't mean he wrote it. Literature is full of examples of authors that meant one thing and wrote another. BS can tweet until he is blue in the face that Galad is the second coming and Moraine is a prizefighter, but until I see it in the published text, you can shove your bad boy attitude. You sound like some geek arguing why the Pegasus is a more powerful battle cruiser than the Enterprise. The facts are that Galad has gotten almost no attention from the author, and to use your juvenile words, PERIOD. Really, get a life with your personal attacks and your silly punctuation, try to act like a man.

"Galad is better, that is the word of god, end of story. I am simply asking you how Galad fell below Gawyn and you once again answered exactly the same way...that we saw more of Gawyn, so he must be better."

Using your logic, even if we saw thousands of scenes of Galad kicking ass, it would be irrelevant to the assertion that Min could drop kick Rand and cut off Lan's head. LOL, you are absolutely insane. You have it backwards. BS is the God of what is yet to be written, he has very little say over what has already passed, unless what was written was vague. Unfortunately, it wasn't vague that Gawyn was talented. Tweeting that he was lucky after the fact doesn't erase the text that's already published, and if that was his intent, then he's a crappy author.

What is written is the Word of God in this make believe world, not what is unseen or what is tweeted by Brandon. Sorry, I know you enjoy using self supporting arguments and abusing those who disagree, but you don't have much credibility left. Maybe we should all join hands and believe in fairies? Maybe, behind the scenes of the book we are discussing, Galad beat up a lot of fairies, and you know, it was really heroic or something? Why isn't it in the book?

(I also like the way you cherry pick your scenes, ignoring that Gawyn says (In The Shadow Rising?) that Galad almost never comes down to the training grounds anymore. Does that sound like a future ultimate killer to you? Lan certainly doesn't act like that. The book starts with him training and when Moraine "dies" he is constantly training. In the real world (Yes, Finess, there is a real world) the winners train and train and train. I know this means nothing to you, because you are enamored of the pretty boy who was so promising but has not risen to Dragon level relevance yet. He's still a periphery player as of this writing, no matter what BS hints, and no matter what insults you throw against those who would dare to disagree with you while you type wearing your Vulcan ears, sitting in your mom's basement while Hot Pockets crumbs collect on your ample midriff.

Archived