DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

As Promised. . . Moon's letters to those who she wants to *stab*

Moon Sedai

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My house is waaaay to small for big dogs. (We have less than 1000 square feet of living space). As it is, it's almost too small for us to have people visit (though we do, all the time).

Next letter will come sometime soon.

Dear Governor P,

I have never known this state with another governor. I moved in while your predecessor was running the nation, in part because I was marrying a native to this fine state and in part because I'd heard that educators in this state are some of the best paid in the nation. After I got out of the military, I decided to pursue an education and get a career as a teacher. As I've always wanted to teach, I thought that this state would be the place for me and my family to reside.

However, I have a slight problem with your current "bragging point" of job creation. You constantly say that you have created an extremely high number of jobs in this state during your tenure as our governor.

I'd like to know why my career field seems to be disappearing. You see, I am a certified social studies teacher. I was certified in 2007, from one of the best Schools of Education in our fine state (This is not a bragging point, this is a fact). However, I have been unable to find a job in that field, either because the schools are not hiring, or because they only hire Football Coaches in the Social studies departments. <BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

I find this practice extremely sexist and detrimental to the education of our children. Because High School football coaches only teach 4 out of 7 class periods a day. One is reserved for football class, one for their conference period, and the other for a coaches conference period.

This means there are only four class periods a day when anyone can take social studies courses. And if you are in activities other than football or cheerleading, this can be a difficult squeeze in your class schedule or limit the times you can take other courses.

Also, the schools are cutting back their education staff. Fewer teachers means more students in each classroom, and a large classroom size can be detrimental to learning.

One local school district was putting their advertisements for new teachers in California, to try to pull teachers in from out of state instead of hiring locally.

One might ask why I chose the specific field of Social Studies for my career, when it is “known” that only football coaches get those positions. It is a love of the content area. I enjoy history, government, and economics coursework. I think the field of Social Studies can have one of the strongest impacts on our youth as citizens of the Nation and the world. By teaching history, government, economics, or any of the other courses offered in the Social Studies gamut, I feel I have the strongest shot of teaching the youth the rights, privileges, and benefits in this country that soldiers have fought and died for.

You might also ask why I do not substitute teach. Substitutes have no summer or break time employment. When the schools were shut down for virtually a month after that Big Hurricane in 2008, I had no substitute opportunities for almost 6 weeks, because no teachers were in school and because once they returned, none wanted to take an absence. Also, substitutes have, in my experience, poor administrative support and no healthcare benefits, something highly important for me.

It’s not just my career I worry about. My husband has been unemployed since 2007, and because of this, it is becoming increasingly harder for him to find work. He, too, has a Higher Education degree, a MA in Humanities received in a state university. He’s practically given up hope of finding work. And, because he is unemployed for so long, we cannot receive government aid. Thus, we are under constant threat of eviction, loss of utilities, and starvation. We were both once loyal members of your particular political party, but now, he finds himself voting for the other guys only because economically, your party has done nothing to help us. I find myself voting independents frequently, because both parties disappoint me.

I have lived in this wonderful state for close to a decade, and that entire decade I have spent underemployed. Each year I work in the Service or Retail industries is one more year less of experience I have in Education, and one year less likely that I will ever find a job.

Sincerely considering moving to another state,

Moon.

I´m sorry to hear that you are both unemployed. I know how hard that can be both mentally and economically. I have been home long periods due to sickness so I know how it feels. There are many unemployed teachers here too since schools don´t get so much money from the government. It´s sad.

*hugs*

• Club Leader

Dear my daughter's boyfriend's neighbor,

The first time I met you I was appalled at your behavior. You implied that if I dared to leave my daughter and her boyfriend alone AT ALL, that I would soon be a grandparent, because your daughter made you one. That was a huge insult to my daughter, who is only 14, and was on her very first date EVER. Just because your daughter couldn't control herself doesn't mean mine can't. The key to good parenting is communication. I thought you should know that, seeing as how you still have another daughter to raise. Not that you would listen, being that you already know everything there is to know on any topic.

As if that wasn't bad enough, seeing you again this weekend at his birthday party just confirmed my opinion that you are the biggest bitch (and not in a good way) on the planet. I have never met anyone so rude, and would happily live my life without ever having to see you again. It's not cool to insult someone else's beliefs. For the record, I think yours are crap, as well, but I have the good taste not to say so to your face. Try finding a little class somewhere. I hear they sell it on the Interenet these days.

Sincerely,

Lily

I heard an old Sunday School teacher once tell us that part of her approval of her children's dating choices was how well she gets along with the boyfriend and girlfriend's parents.

Of course, she treated every dating relationship as if it were a future marriage.

Your girl is a little young to think that way, but I'm sure that it is easier for everyone involved that you are getting along better with his mom.

this is too personal, and i'll probably delete it, but now it's in my head, so.

to whom it may concern,

i'd address this to you personally but i don't know who you are, where you are, or whether you're alive or dead.

you sired me when my mom was going on 16 and you were 21. you ran like a scared rabbit and you never came back. you never saw me. you don't know who i am, where i am, or if i'm alive or dead.

i can't blame you for being afraid and taking the easy way out. it must be genetic, because i've inherited it from someone, and it's obviously not from mom.

i have to forgive you every night for what you've done and not done. even though i get angry with you all over again most days.

you left me to be raised in a madhouse, by broken people. they did their best, without any help from you. but... they were quite broken.

they needed help, but would never have stooped to ask you for it.

i needed help, but i didn't know who to ask or how.

you were referred to as a step worse than satan in our house. and when i misbehaved i was acting like you. i knew what retroactive abortion meant by the time i was 7. thanks for that.

i used to think you'd show up some day. or ask someone if i was alive or ok or. i wasn't hard to find. but now i realize you probably never thought about me again. and if you thought about mom it was only in relief at having dodged that bullet. that 15 could have got you 20.

so, anyway. just a note to say hi, and thanks.

i forgive you. and i'm grateful for the life i've been given, no matter how it started.

cindy

Archived