DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene hate thread

I'm having some serious rage about this.

Normaly if a character is iritating i can deal. Irritating can be apart of the characters personality. But this... my jimmys have seriously been ruffled by this character.

Most of the time i don't really care that much about her, she is a okay chacter except at these points where she really gets on my flaming nerves

1. In part 3 DR: Egwene shows her real potential of being a annoying chit. "Nyneave is older and wiser then you listen and do what she says you stupid woman. You deserved that massive slap Elayne gave you!"

2. The way she treated Mat after he RESCUED HER FROM CERTAIN BECOMING A DARKFRIEND!!! after she KNEW he was coming all that way to help from her dreams, what dose she do? Pushes him around with OP. I can exuse Nyneave and Elayne for this because they come up with ligitamite appologys.

3. Trying to unite all female chanelers under the white tower. Right now here is the thing, that is not so bad until you manipulate the blood and ash out of them and trying to control them. She must be mad and/or drunk with power.

4. The way she subdugated Gawen and Nyneave. Nyneave is older and wiser then you, more powerfull in the OP she dosn't deserve to humiliated like that, no matter how irritating she might be by herself. (If she tugs that braid one more time i sware I'll scream). You teated him like dirt, untill he actualy saved your life, then best you can do is make him warder under your twisted power hungry mind set. That is not how the warder bond is suposed to work!

Well i'm glad thats out, mostly she isn't a bad character it's just these 4 things that really grind be gears.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fah. I've done this before, in detail. With not a word about gender relations or Rand al'Thor. And what is the immediate, simple-minded refrain from every Egwene fanboi/fangurl? "You just don't like her because she won't bow down to Rand/she doesn't know her place/you're threatened by strong womyn!!!!"

It's not worth further effort. Maybe I'll dig up my earlier post and c&p it, but no more.

oh goody where to start!

a big issue for me is this quote "I was a burning warrior, a hero called by teh Horn. They won't dare face me again." allowed she was delirious but still no one, has ever thought anything close to that even at their most arrogent

to gawyn "Don't you see what a distrust you have shown me? How can I trust you if you will disobey me in order to feel more comfortable?" after he liberated her from the WT after the attack, where he as quite reasonable in wanting to make sure she was safe

of another gem "I believe that the military organization might be good for her, and remind her that sometimes, obediance overrides initiative."

and those are just a few quotes from tGS

Was reading through the link above and came across this...

the only thing that is really hers, is the hatred of the seanchan. But that is blown way out of proportions, I understand hating them for a while, but as life takes its toll and you have many other responsibilities and such I think that hatred would become smaller, and not actually become somewhat greater (she started waking up shaking and weeping months after her release just at dreams of being recaptured)

Durinax was just wondering do you still have the same view point on this topic?

She was enslaved, made less than human and almost lost her very identity due to physical and emotional torture. Their are numerous instances of PTSD were the scenario you describe above happens and it is totally realistic. Don't see how anyone could think her hatred of the Seanchan is blown out of proportion.

Was reading through the link above and came across this...

the only thing that is really hers, is the hatred of the seanchan. But that is blown way out of proportions, I understand hating them for a while, but as life takes its toll and you have many other responsibilities and such I think that hatred would become smaller, and not actually become somewhat greater (she started waking up shaking and weeping months after her release just at dreams of being recaptured)

Durinax was just wondering do you still have the same view point on this topic?

She was enslaved, made less than human and almost lost her very identity due to physical and emotional torture. Their are numerous instances of PTSD were the scenario you describe above happens and it is totally realistic. Don't see how anyone could think her hatred of the Seanchan is blown out of proportion.

I actually do, especially after ToM since she was able to instantly get over an adam getting put around her neck, if she had PTSD I think she would have folded because of the adam. Not come up with the 'I am the Amyrlin thus you will be destroyed!' bit against mesaana. most especially since in tGS she mentions her nightmares again, and how terrible they are. The fact that the one thing that would truly shake her confidence and make her relive those days. although we see her start to give in she all of a sudden recoups her self confidence and makes it disappear, that makes it more unbelievable to me.

I can understand why Egwene's captivity by the Seanchan can still have such a strong and lasting effect on her. It can even explain her deep-seated tendencies to want to control everything and everyone. Though you could argue that this was existent prior to her enslavement. But it certainly exasperated the issue.

She bears a resemblance to Voldemort, who was so afraid of the human slavery to death that he sought control through very evil means etc.

Egwene grinds my gears because if she was a real person I;

Would grit my teeth whenever she talked about men, I like my men domineering and arrogant thanks much.

Would find the way she treats her 'friends' appalling.

I don't like politician's anyways.

The way she thought she 'owned' Rand in the fourth book, so she had the right to 'give' him to Elayne was sickening.

There are more instances, but to summarize if she were a real person I'd avoid her at all costs, she's not someone I could stand being around for any amount of time.

As a character she's interesting, but her mary-suishness has become a bit overwhelming.

Guest PiotrekS

Listen to this, everyone, and get some perspective...

Egwene al'Vere is a character in a story.

She DOES NOT EXIST.

Got that? Good.

(@sleeper.. budge up and pass the popcorn)

Really?! Wow! [sighs in relief]

I feel much better now :biggrin:

yep, she is SO getting set up for an epiphany/moment.

Not who I'd choose to be bonded to though, give me marise(sp?) anyday :biggrin:

while she could use a sense of humour, well, i remember nyneave bing pretty anoying back in TEOTW, i am the wisdom etc etc

and she's petty fabo these days.

She DOES NOT EXIST.

Got that? Good.

So because the character is fictional the personality is less real?

We're all aware that Egwene does not exist in real life but her character and personality is real.

In some ways she's even more real than real life people you'll meet because we even get to see things from her perspective and read her thoughts giving us even more perspective and ways to judge her character and personality.

To dismiss emotional reactions to a personality just because it's a fictional character is to me pure idiocy(not calling you an idiot you're free to think whatever you want).

you're given more perspective about Egwenes way of thinking and reasoning for her actions than you get information about any murderer or criminal in a newspaper or politicians for that matter yet I bet you've had strong reactioons to deeds they've done or statements that a politician have made that made you frustrated or angry or even hatefull. You may think what they've done is pure evil or what they said is pure idiocy yet you've never met any of thease people in real life. You've just read about them and all the information you have is about what they've done or something they said, not their reasoning behind doing something or thoughts before saying something.

A character and a personality that is made up is no less real than a real person's even if they do not exist in real life.

Now you may not agree with me and that's fine but are you really telling us that we shouldn't react or have feelings about stuff that happens in books or movies, feelings about what a character does and how she acts and treats others, just because it's a fictional book or movie?

Have you never laughed, cried, been sad, scared or happy when reading a book or watching a movie?

If not then I feel sad for you even though you're just a fictional name on the internet with an opinion. I feel sad for you because to me even fictional chracters through their actions and thoughts have a real personality.

I'm not telling you that you're wrong because from your perspective you might be right, but I am giving you some perspective on something you seem to want to give others perspective on even though you yourself seem to lack perspective, from my perspective ofcourse :)

Feel free to tell me why a fictional characters personality is less real than a real persons personality and what it is that makes a personality real.

I'm not quite sure how to answer that myself.

Fah. I've done this before, in detail. With not a word about gender relations or Rand al'Thor. And what is the immediate, simple-minded refrain from every Egwene fanboi/fangurl? "You just don't like her because she won't bow down to Rand/she doesn't know her place/you're threatened by strong womyn!!!!"

It's not worth further effort. Maybe I'll dig up my earlier post and c&p it, but no more.

Rofl. Maybe if you keep saying it, someday it may actually be true. Suttree and I don't even say you should like her, we just point out that most of the reasons "haters" give are illogical or just wrong.

Probably too much to hope the crazy will stay in this thread, but a man can dream.

She DOES NOT EXIST.

Got that? Good.

We're all aware that Egwene does not exist in real life but her character and personality is real.

In some ways she's even more real than real life people you'll meet because we even get to see things from her perspective and read her thoughts giving us even more perspective and ways to judge her character and personality.

To dismiss emotional reactions to a personality just because it's a fictional character is to me pure idiocy(not calling you an idiot you're free to think whatever you want).

you're given more perspective about Egwenes way of thinking and reasoning for her actions than you get information about any murderer or criminal in a newspaper or politicians for that matter yet I bet you've had strong reactioons to deeds they've done or statements that a politician have made that made you frustrated or angry or even hatefull. You may think what they've done is pure evil or what they said is pure idiocy yet you've never met any of thease people in real life. You've just read about them and all the information you have is about what they've done or something they said, not their reasoning behind doing something or thoughts before saying something.

A character and a personality that is made up is no less real than a real person's even if they do not exist in real life.

Now you may not agree with me and that's fine but are you really telling us that we shouldn't react or have feelings about stuff that happens in books or movies, feelings about what a character does and how she acts and treats others, just because it's a fictional book or movie?

Have you never laughed, cried, been sad, scared or happy when reading a book or watching a movie?

If not then I feel sad for you even though you're just a fictional name on the internet with an opinion. I feel sad for you because to me even fictional chracters through their actions and thoughts have a real personality.

I'm not telling you that you're wrong because from your perspective you might be right, but I am giving you some perspective on something you seem to want to give others perspective on even though you yourself seem to lack perspective, from my perspective ofcourse :)

Feel free to tell me why a fictional characters personality is less real than a real persons personality and what it is that makes a personality real.

You're asking the wrong person, I'm afraid.. I have enough trouble 'reading' real people, never mind fictional ones! Possibly you were being sarky when you said you feel sorry for me, but actually such sorrow would be valid. My ability to connect with people is seriously compromised by Asperger's Syndrome.

But my original post said 'get some perspective'. That's what I'm appealing for. I am actually alarmed by the sheer depth of feeling people have about some of the characters in this story, Egwene and Gawyn among them. Criticism of the traits apparently exhibited by these characters is valid, but I sometimes think that perhaps people are getting a bit too involved. I mean no offence; sorry if I have offended anyone; but it gets a bit wearing to see yet ANOTHER tirade against these made-up concepts.

Rofl. Maybe if you keep saying it, someday it may actually be true. Suttree and I don't even say you should like her, we just point out that most of the reasons "haters" give are illogical or just wrong.

Probably too much to hope the crazy will stay in this thread, but a man can dream.

I'm not even talking about you. You're a recent entrant into this fray. Get over yourself.

The one incident that disappointed me the most about Egwene was her shaming of Siuan after the Seanchan attack. It's a big step backward in leadership from the learning progress she had made in Salidar and as a captive of Elaida. She views it as a choice to place leadership duty over friendship, which I respect and agree with for someone in her position. However, I disagree with her judgment; it's bad leadership, and more an instance of putting pride over both duty and friendship.

So I've figured out this Egwene hate thing.

Everyone actually has really high expectations of Egwene because she's such a strong character. What we see on the forums isn't actually hate for her, it's frustration due to the perception that she isn't living up to her potential.

That's right. Everyone, deep down, loves Egwene.

I dislike her, but she's not terrible. Better than most Aes Sedai, for one. Certainly better than Elayne or Gawyn.

And the scene where she speaks with Talmanes in TPOD is fantastic. I really love the mutual respect, in a situation when neither is respected.

She DOES NOT EXIST.

Got that? Good.

You're asking the wrong person, I'm afraid.. I have enough trouble 'reading' real people, never mind fictional ones! Possibly you were being sarky when you said you feel sorry for me, but actually such sorrow would be valid. My ability to connect with people is seriously compromised by Asperger's Syndrome.

But my original post said 'get some perspective'. That's what I'm appealing for. I am actually alarmed by the sheer depth of feeling people have about some of the characters in this story, Egwene and Gawyn among them. Criticism of the traits apparently exhibited by these characters is valid, but I sometimes think that perhaps people are getting a bit too involved. I mean no offence; sorry if I have offended anyone; but it gets a bit wearing to see yet ANOTHER tirade against these made-up concepts.

Don't think anyone is offended and I'm sorry too if my post seemed like I was. Read this thread after the amyrlin vs dragon thread so might have missunderstood your post a bit and I'm not exactlly good at expressing myself without some sarcasm and some trollbaiting here and there since I love when threads spin away because of one persons opinions :)

And I agree with you about some people might be getting abit too involved in Egwene bashing threads in particular but it can also be said that she's extremely good written to be able to provoke people in such a maner that she does.

Archived