DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hints of Our Age

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and here i thought i was the only one that noticed the mercedes benz grill ornament. there isnt a mention of a mounting point just a circle. from what ive seen that would be the grill ornament unless someone filed the mount off. the length of an age seems to be subjective. the series was written after the fall of the ussr so the reference to mosk the giant has me stumped. unless RJ intended the wot universe to be a mirror of our own. if that were the case that makes for some very interesting thought.

RJ has confirmed that our world is the WoT world in another age. So everything from our history is the past/present of WoT.

Yeah, I kind of figured that since the Cold War went on for so long, it was remembered, and with Hollywood, etc. influencing the world, over the thousands of years people totally forgot that they didn't really fight, they just talked about it a lot.

The contrails in the sky in the portal stone world in TGH.

I've always been intrigued by those contrails. I've theorized for a while now that there could still be satellites in orbit that have not decayed from the Age of Legends. What if in an alternate universe there were folks who never returned from manned space stations in orbit and instead witnessed in horror the Breaking. They stayed in space and tried to preserve humanity in that new setting (space--who knows, the space stations from the AoL could have been nig enough to support a community fo humans). I think perhaps 3,000 years would be a long time, but what if they were puit into suspended animation? Maybe what Rand saw was a recon group from orbit surveying the planet to see if it was habitable?

Ive also always been intrigued by them. Cant anyone ask BS about them?=)

I think the contrails are traces of Saidin. Rand notes no one else can see them. That would fit with the "contrails" being Saidin residue.

Does he say that? I don't recall it...quote?

Does he say that? I don't recall it...quote?

Hi Suttree:

I re-listened to that section of the audiobook and it appears Rand notes they didn't notice the trails because Hurin wasoccupied with the trail and Loial was "drawn into himself"

so false alarm haha

Morgase = Morgause I assume

hahhaha, i am sorry, but this was extremely funny, a few post about WHO THE HELL IS morgase, then you just come in with a little, ohhhh, i think it may be the one with one letter off...

Sorry, it is christmas here, I may be being factious but i thought it was funny....

I think the ancient city/port on top of a mountain in TSR is a reference to macchu picchu (I think thats teh right one)

macchu picchu wasnt a port town and its also in the wrong part of the world. south america is proabably in seanchen

hehe nth/sth america=seanchan, randland/waste/shara=europe/asia, land of madmen=AUSTRALIA ;-) even the shapes of the continents are vaguely correct...

I think the ancient city/port on top of a mountain in TSR is a reference to macchu picchu (I think thats teh right one)

macchu picchu wasnt a port town and its also in the wrong part of the world. south america is proabably in seanchen

hehe nth/sth america=seanchan, randland/waste/shara=europe/asia, land of madmen=AUSTRALIA ;-) even the shapes of the continents are vaguely correct...

This. Shorelle (the reference in The Fires of Heaven by Asmodean to the ancient port town in the Jangai Pass) would likely have been on the coast of what is now the Caspian Sea. Perhaps the Aral Sea. Around that area.

Rand = Arthur

Galad =Sir Galahad

Egwene =Gwenevere

Tom Merrilon = Merlin etc

But who is Sir Lancelot and who is Morgase, Merlin's arch enemy?

Maybe whichever of the Red took his nephew first?

Oh, here's another Arthurian one: Moridin = Mordred?

oops must have had adrink!

I meant who is Morgana? but maybe i was already answering my own question. Never thought about Morgase posting the the death warrant, only about them being former lovers and "parents" of Elayne. She does have some power, although weak, hence the salvation by Perrin.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this was mentioned, but i don't think so. Amaresu and her sword of the sun always tugged at a memory, and i finally remembered why that sounded familiar. Amaterasu (almost the same name plus a few letters) is the Shinto goddess of the sun, from whom the Japanese people believed their emperor was descended. she's depicted with a golden sword.

I guess this isn't really a hint of our age, but rather a hint at another age from both our time AND the 3rd age.

post-13366-0-37181100-1328286193_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The wonder girls eat Chinese food in Tanchico, but isn't the style of food actually from Arad Doman? I believe that the innkeeper jokes about the willingness to eat even the food of your enemies if it is in style. This makes sense as well since the Domanis are always described as if they have stereotypical Asian features ("copper skin," e.g.).

Someone questioned whether RJ had really confirmed that the WOT world is our world, and yes, he did; I can't find the quote myself but he explicitly stated that the Third Age is "our future and our past." The primary reason the continents look like ours but messed up is, IIRC, the breaking of the world, which dramatically changed the features of the world. Shayol Ghul was at one point an island in the Barents Sea. Now, obviously, Europe has somehow become a lot bigger, but if I remember the BWB rightly, Asia looks quite a bit smaller. The breaking was serious business.

Archived