DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hints of Our Age

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the series was written after the fall of the ussr so the reference to mosk the giant has me stumped. unless RJ intended the wot universe to be a mirror of our own. if that were the case that makes for some very interesting thought.

Yes Mosk and Merk = USSR & USA. Spears of fire = Nukes.

Far-future (or "ancient future") stories always fascinate me when they hint at the distant, misunderstood past. My favorite example of all time is from Gene Wolfe's THE BOOK OF THE NEW SUN, which is set, literally, billions of years from now. An old photograph depicts a man in armor with a golden mirror visor, holding a stiff banner, and standing in a desolate landscape. Our main character, Severian the Torturer's Apprentice, asks a curator to explain the picture, and the curator says that it's a man on the moon. Severian has a hard time relating that to the moon he knows, which is irrigated and forested.

I really hope that Wolfe has some fans here; IMO, he's the best writer alive, regardless of genre.

The first two or three books were written and published before the collapse of the Soviet Union, when everybody still naturally presumed "Mosk" and "Merk" were inevitably heading towards a showdown.

Oh, that makes more sense now.

I had to think really hard about this one. I thought that over time the Cold War was misunderstood and instead of just nuclear scares, there were nuclear battles.

Far-future (or "ancient future") stories always fascinate me when they hint at the distant, misunderstood past. My favorite example of all time is from Gene Wolfe's THE BOOK OF THE NEW SUN, which is set, literally, billions of years from now. An old photograph depicts a man in armor with a golden mirror visor, holding a stiff banner, and standing in a desolate landscape. Our main character, Severian the Torturer's Apprentice, asks a curator to explain the picture, and the curator says that it's a man on the moon. Severian has a hard time relating that to the moon he knows, which is irrigated and forested.

I really hope that Wolfe has some fans here; IMO, he's the best writer alive, regardless of genre.

ive read that series, i liked it, but i was proabably a little to young by the time.

has he written any other fantasy/scifi series?

The contrails in the sky in the portal stone world in TGH.

I've always been intrigued by those contrails. I've theorized for a while now that there could still be satellites in orbit that have not decayed from the Age of Legends. What if in an alternate universe there were folks who never returned from manned space stations in orbit and instead witnessed in horror the Breaking. They stayed in space and tried to preserve humanity in that new setting (space--who knows, the space stations from the AoL could have been nig enough to support a community fo humans). I think perhaps 3,000 years would be a long time, but what if they were puit into suspended animation? Maybe what Rand saw was a recon group from orbit surveying the planet to see if it was habitable?

Ive also always been intrigued by them. Cant anyone ask BS about them?=)

The first two or three books were written and published before the collapse of the Soviet Union, when everybody still naturally presumed "Mosk" and "Merk" were inevitably heading towards a showdown.

Oh, that makes more sense now.

I had to think really hard about this one. I thought that over time the Cold War was misunderstood and instead of just nuclear scares, there were nuclear battles.

I have to say RJ really lucked out on that, he could have just as easily referenced a war between Sov and Wash, and then it would have made no sense at all.

ive read that series, i liked it, but i was proabably a little to young by the time.

Oh yes, Wolfe has written plenty. THE BOOK OF THE NEW SUN has five books in all: The Shadow of the Torturer, The Claw of the Conciliator, The Sword of the Lictor, The Citadel of the Autarch, and The Urth of the New Sun. There are two other series set in the same universe, called THE BOOK OF THE LONG SUN and THE BOOK OF THE SHORT SUN. There are also shorter, stand-alone novels in the fantasy genre such as Castleview, Free Live Free, Peace, There Are Doors, and others. More recently Wolfe has written a two-novel sequence set in one of the most interesting, unique fantasy worlds ever created, whose titles are The Knight and The Wizard.

Oh yes, Wolfe has written plenty. THE BOOK OF THE NEW SUN has five books in all: The Shadow of the Torturer, The Claw of the Conciliator, The Sword of the Lictor, The Citadel of the Autarch, and The Urth of the New Sun. There are two other series set in the same universe, called THE BOOK OF THE LONG SUN and THE BOOK OF THE SHORT SUN. There are also shorter, stand-alone novels in the fantasy genre such as Castleview, Free Live Free, Peace, There Are Doors, and others. More recently Wolfe has written a two-novel sequence set in one of the most interesting, unique fantasy worlds ever created, whose titles are The Knight and The Wizard.

Maybe Ill check it out, right now im listening to The dark tower series by Stephen King, really good.

I believe the 1st age is our age but The Horn and Portal Stone were all made in the 1st age so I think there is allot more time is going to pass from 2011 to when the dragon is born in our age.

Dont think the horn was made in the first age?

Legend says it's made in the first age...

I believe the 1st age is our age but The Horn and Portal Stone were all made in the 1st age so I think there is allot more time is going to pass from 2011 to when the dragon is born in our age.

And we all know how accurate the legends of the Wheel of Time world are don't we? :biggrin:

Actually, legend just says it was made before the Age of Legends. From there, depends on how the Wheel works.

The Aiel grow corn (zemai) and produce whiskey (Oosquai)and people in Tanchico eat Chinese food.

Ohh I wonder if anybody makes scotch to?

Well, technically it may be scotch. I guess it all depends on what continent you think Randland is in our age. I personally think it is Canadian whiskey :biggrin:

I always wondered about one of the objects Mat found in the mountains of mist, he only refers to it. What I recall:

He was with Rand and Perrin, and found three objects. One was a feather from an eagle, the second I dont remember, the third was a glass object which looked like an ear. Tam had also told him when he got back it might as well be an ear?

Can the glass thinge be a Hearing aid? Anyone else remember this or have any ideas? Think it was late TDR or TSR

Archived