DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does the DO have a sense of humour?

DigitalSoul

I believe that he does, though I don't think there is any direct proof. But the bodies he chose to put the resurrected Forsaken in (besides Moridin) are just too coincidentally the opposite of what they want for it to not be intentional. Lanfear was given a plain body, etc.

It wasn't precisely laughter that made rand light, rather pure laughter is a symptom of him having changed.

I believe he does too. Often I have felt like there is a little humour involved in his words/deeds. The bodies he gave Osangar and Arangar while they may have been the only ones available I think he found it slightly humourous. Even the line "DEMANDRED, HOW FARES THE WORLD?" I felt had a slight smile behind it or something. Or even "Let the Lord of Chaos" rule I picture being said with an evil smile and possibly evil laughter afterwards a la Taim to Pevera and co.

Didn't the DO maniacally laugh when Demandred asks "Have I not done well?" at the end of LoC? :) Cant remember

Yes.

I think he does, an ironic sense at that. He gave Balthamael, an avid womanizer, the body of a woman. But then Aran'gar went with it and has "extended" her sexual appetite. :)

I WOULD agree with this, but RJ has denied that it was intentional, and that to the DO it didn't really make a difference and matter. Healthy bodies capable of transmigrating souls into is a rare commodity, the DO just used what he had.

I like to just pretend RJ didn't know what he was talking about with this issue and just pretend the DO has a cruel sense of humor, though.

Didn't the DO maniacally laugh when Demandred asks "Have I not done well?" at the end of LoC? :) Cant remember

Yes.

I think he does, an ironic sense at that. He gave Balthamael, an avid womanizer, the body of a woman. But then Aran'gar went with it and has "extended" her sexual appetite. :)

I WOULD agree with this, but RJ has denied that it was intentional, and that to the DO it didn't really make a difference and matter. Healthy bodies capable of transmigrating souls into is a rare commodity, the DO just used what he had.

I like to just pretend RJ didn't know what he was talking about with this issue and just pretend the DO has a cruel sense of humor, though.

Really, he denied it was intentional? I wonder have many more things we think interpret as being put in by Jordan with a thought, while he would say it was unintentional. Ima do as you and ignore that comment Agitel. I like my Shai´tan with a sense of humour.

Yes.

Really, he denied it was intentional? I wonder have many more things we think interpret as being put in by Jordan with a thought, while he would say it was unintentional. Ima do as you and ignore that comment Agitel. I like my Shai´tan with a sense of humour.

I may have phrased that badly. It was probably very intentional by Jordan, but it wasn't meant to be intentionally humorous or humiliating by the DO.

Here's what RJ said on the subject.

After the soul is secured, then a suitable body must be acquired and stripped of the (former) owner's memory and soul to make way for the favored one. By the way, what constitutes a suitable body from the Dark One's perspective is not that of the recipient. Certainly Aginor would never have chosen to be reincarnated in his, shall we say, less than imposing body, nor would the womanizing Balthamel have chosen to be reincarnated as a beautiful woman. It was only chance that Moridin ended up in a body that is young, fairly good looking and physically imposing. Those things simply don't matter to the Dark One. But the body has to be basically healthy and sound, and neither too young nor too old. After all, the Dark One wants his servants to be effective, and a body that meets those basic requirements is more desirable than one that doesn't. Since there is no stockpile of such bodies, the only way for someone to die and immediately be reincarnated would be a matter of pure chance. That is, the death occurred when a suitable body was on hand for some other reason.

http://13depository.blogspot.com/2009/03/tor-questions-of-week.html

Right but "suitable" doesn't explain the fact that a woman can channel like a man. And the DO said "yes this will suit my male chosen well! Except for the plumbing and the fixtures and that women can't channel like him... its essentially a suitable match" it didn't matter at all? me thinks the author protests too much.

Sometimes a clever joke is ruined if

everyone calls you on it.

Blam!

The foot

basically what Cindy said, a lot of his humor has been cruel. As was stated before, putting the Forsaken in new bodies that don't really suit them is part of it. Lanfear used her looks to her advantage and due to her mistakes, is now in Cyndanes body which is not up to the standards which Lanfear had once been

I don't think there was anything particularly cruel about Lanfear's new body. She used to be described as the most beautiful women in all of existence, or something like that, so just about anything is going to be a step down. Cyndane is still described as well above attractive though. Now, if she were reincarnated into a body like her Keille disguise, now that I could see as cruel.

Right but "suitable" doesn't explain the fact that a woman can channel like a man. And the DO said "yes this will suit my male chosen well! Except for the plumbing and the fixtures and that women can't channel like him... its essentially a suitable match" it didn't matter at all?

What needs explaining? The woman's body is making use of Balthamel's ability to channel (both strength and side of the Power used). It has been speculated that the genetic component of channeling is just an on/off switch - it determines whether or not you can channel, and the soul determines everything else. So provided they had a woman who could channel, that's all they need. The "plumbing" really isn't relevant at all - as RJ said, Shai'tan just does't care about that sort of thing. Of course, what RJ said is not incompatible with the Aginor's opinion that it was a fine joke. If people are sent out to acquire a couple of suitable bodies and one turns out to be a woman, He could decide to give the woman's body to the womaniser, He just wouldn't set out to get a woman's body in the first place. He took advantage of an opportunity.

Archived