DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wheel of Time references in popular culture..

There's a metal band here in Atlanta called Aes Sedai. In that Tom Hanks movie where he lives in the airport, you can see a display of CROSSROADS OF TWILIGHT hardcovers. The movie was shot at about the time CoT was released.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a metal band named "Lanfear"

The band Nightwish has a song called "The Kinslayer", though it is not about The Wheel of Time. Seems likely the title is a reference to WoT though.

The band Nightwish is badass! <3

The title is not a reference to WoT. The song is about the Columbine massacre.

I said the song is not about the WoT. It does, however, seem likely that the title is a reference to WoT, especially considering Tuomas is a fantasy fan and many of their songs have literature or movie references. I have no proof that the title is a reference to WoT, it just seems likely.

It does not seem likely at all. I know Toumas is a fan of fantasy,the song Wishmaster is one such example. But why would the title be a reference to WoT when the song is about the killings at Columbine, doesn´t make much sense...

The song is about Columbine, we've established that. Is the title referring to Columbine though? The slayers at Columbine did not slay their kin. Nobody ever referred to them as kinslayers. I think it's obvious that the title has nothing to do with the song, which is not at all unheard of. Smells Like Teen Spirit comes to mind, it has nothing to do with deodorant. Toumas obviously got the name of the song from somewhere... I guess he could have made it up, but being a fan of fantasy it doesn't seem that likely.

Guest ThorsLightning

There are a whole lot of references to WoT in metal...

Manetheren - A Black Metal band from the U.S.

Nae'blis - A Black Metal band from Sweden

Myrddraal - Black Metal band from Australia

Lanfear - Power Metal band from Germany

Shaidar Logoth - Black Metal band from the U.S.

Shayol Ghul - Black Metal band from the U.S.

Black Majesty has a song called The Dragon Reborn that I beieve is in reference to Rand

Blind Guardian has 2 songs on their newest album, At the Edge of Time

...can't really think of anything else right now.

The band Nightwish has a song called "The Kinslayer", though it is not about The Wheel of Time. Seems likely the title is a reference to WoT though.

I said the song is not about the WoT. It does, however, seem likely that the title is a reference to WoT, especially considering Tuomas is a fantasy fan and many of their songs have literature or movie references. I have no proof that the title is a reference to WoT, it just seems likely.

It does not seem likely at all. I know Toumas is a fan of fantasy,the song Wishmaster is one such example. But why would the title be a reference to WoT when the song is about the killings at Columbine, doesn´t make much sense...

The song is about Columbine, we've established that. Is the title referring to Columbine though? The slayers at Columbine did not slay their kin. Nobody ever referred to them as kinslayers. I think it's obvious that the title has nothing to do with the song, which is not at all unheard of. Smells Like Teen Spirit comes to mind, it has nothing to do with deodorant. Toumas obviously got the name of the song from somewhere... I guess he could have made it up, but being a fan of fantasy it doesn't seem that likely.

Kinslayer as in slaying kin =students/humans. Just because there is Kinslayer in the title doesn´t mean that it´s about WoT. Besides Kinslayer is pretty normal compared to say Myrdraal. We obviously disagree since I claim that the title is indeed referring to the actual song and not some WoT-reference. In the songs were he has been inspired by fantasy like Wishmaster, Elvenpath and Wanderlust he even mentions some fantasy-names such as Shalafi and Elbereth.

Kinslayer as in slaying kin =students/humans. Just because there is Kinslayer in the title doesn´t mean that it´s about WoT. Besides Kinslayer is pretty normal compared to say Myrdraal. We obviously disagree since I claim that the title is indeed referring to the actual song and not some WoT-reference. In the songs were he has been inspired by fantasy like Wishmaster, Elvenpath and Wanderlust he even mentions some fantasy-names such as Shalafi and Elbereth.

I have to agree with Hankscorpio. The title can be a reference to WoT and the song not have anything to do with the WoT itself. Seems pretty likely to me that Nightwish may have pulled the name from WoT because it sounded cool and fit with lyrics that they may not have had a title for at that point. This seems even more likely since Nightwish seems to really be into fantasy.

There are several references in the Dragon Age games.

Also, in George R. R. Martin's series, A Song of Ice and Fire, one of the noble houses in Dorne is House Jordayne. The name of the lord is Trebor which is Robert backwards. He rules over the Tor. Tor is the publisher for the Wheel of Time. Finally, House Jordayne's motto is "Let it be written."

It's basically a homage as both Martin and Jordan were good friends and Jordan's endorsement of Martin's series was very beneficial.

In A Song of Ice and Fire, there's also Archmaester Rigney, who wrote that time is a wheel.

• 4 weeks later...

I've always seen the Dementors from Harry Potter as a cross between Myrddraal and Draghkar. As Dementors are black cloaked, eyeless beings who inspire fear into people nearby (Myrddraal) that can suck your soul out with a "kiss" (Draghkar).

i've noticed a few popular culture references in the wheel of time, as well. i'm sure i miss most of them because i'm not up to date on popular culture.

Yeah, cutting the rope of the ferry in EotW was straight out of "The Outlaw Josey Wales". Also, the balancing technique Lan taught Rand, heron somethingorother, that leaves him completely open to his opponent's attack? Crane technique from "The Karate Kid".

the excruciating doom metal band "saint vitus" have a song called "bela" which if you pay close attention to the lyrics, is clearly about WoT

as far as references IN WoT, uh, the lord of the rings? almost everything (ok...many major things) that happen in EotW also happened in LotR ie you start in an out of the way village somewhere where life is simple and people largely petty, then "black riders" show up looking for one of the youngsters, tam = bilbo he has traveled before and is somewhat more world-wise, moiraine = gandalf, lan = aragorn (the crownless king, maybe we'll have a return-of-the-king?), even the names matrim and perrin sound like merry and pippin, shadar logoth = the mines of moria (where they are seperated from "gandalf")...and thats just what I can remember offhand. to me it seemed obvious that whole book was an homage and confirmed by the scene where rand grins at an inn named "the nine rings" and reminisces that used to be one of his favorite adventure stories as a kid.

not mentioned cuz it was too obvious?

i was thinking more lawrence of arabia and gunga din and a few dozen westerns, and the fog of war and. . . then i got tired of thinking. Ingtar noted a couple of great ones.

the LotR homages seem obvious enough to go without saying. but yeah, clearly.

Edited by cindy

Back to another author ref WOT: I think it might have been a conicidance but in Anne McCaffery's Drigon riders of Pern, when Master Harper Robertson retiers he reties close to the Jordan river. :biggrin:

yes GRRM does have quite a few WOT/RJ ref's going on there.