DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moments that made you tear up

t.shaleva

Also the father-son scene from the ToM prologue.

This +1. When I first got TOM I had to wait in a public place for about an hour before I could get home and read it there. Reading this scene was hard as I found it so emotional but couldn't let it show.

Well not cry, I have an inability to cry for some reason, even if I am hit with an emotional bus.

But I consider shivers down my spine the equivilant. I suppose it is a bit different though, because some of the parts were not really "emotional" more awesome. So I will narrow it down to the emotional shivers.

- the sounding of the Horn. After being reluctant for the past 2 books, Mat, Rand and Perrin finally band together and accept some responsibility. (Mat agreeing to blow the horn and Perrin reluctantly taking up the Dragon Banner)

- tSR Perrin and multiple times in the TR. A bunch of moments in there.

- Rand trying to resurrect the little girl in the Stone.

- FoH Moiraine. I found the most potent scene was at the end of Rand's letter. "You will do well..." Nobody had ever said it to him before. They all complained and complained he was doing the wrong thing and fear him destroying everything and going mad. Then "You will do well."

- Multiple times during the Dumai Wells sequence. Rand escaping. the wolves. Asha'man. Kneel or be Knelt.

- Cup of Sleep.

- Rand going crazy with Callandor and killing his people.

- Rand refusing to let go of Lan's hand while slipping of the roof in FM.

- The Golden Crane

- "Mourn if you must... but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gaidon."

- Narishma in the Hall "Eben Hopwil! Remember his name!"

- The Last that could be Done

- Rand and Tam in the Stone = Almost balefired.

- VoG. Not the words, or even the way it played out. Just the emotional response to the Light shining down and Rand laughing.

- ToM Borderland prologue. "Never! Say it louder. NEVER!"

- Basically every single scene with Rand in it. Always get a shiver when Rand is announced by his beam of sunlight.

- Nynaeve's testing. My favorite scene in the whole series.

- Mat v Gholam. For the Honor of Naelson! For the Honor of Tylin!

- Lan "Raise the banner. The Golden Crane rides to battle" + the whole prologue of him.

- Perrin forging his hammer/ helping Galad.

- ToG sequence.

- Moiraine afterwards.

• fall of Manetheren
  • Perring finding out about his family
  • Nynaeve "Will he ride alone?"
  • Rand's second re-union with Tam

All of these have been mentioned already but yeah these were the scenes that left me misty-eyed. There were many other scenes which had an equally powerful emotional effect but in a different way ("We come").

Total goosebumps on that one, more so than any other scene.

"The Light shine on you, Lord Ingtar of House Shinowa, and may you shelter in the palm of the Creator's hand.” He touched Ingtar's shoulder. “The last embrace of the mother welcome you home.”

The most emotional moment for me.

A very close second for me.

- Ingtar

- Moiraine's death (Okay, maybe that was more tears of rage at Rand for not saving her. :angry:)

- A Cup of Sleep

- Verin's death

- The whole Tower of Ghenjei thing (I was actually full-out crying during this. I don't even know why, it didn't even seem that sad to me.)

Good books always end up making me emotional, and now that I think of it I really had a lot of moments that at least made me tear up a little. I'm going to have to make sure not to read aMoL in public places because I'm almost certain something or other is going to make me cry in it.

No moments like that for me in WoT, but I remember I did tear up when I read the end of the Dragonlance: Legends trilogy.

Just read this an almost ruined my mac spitting out coffee, that is almost worthy of a sig...

Hey, I was nine.

And I'm glad I amuse you, I guess....

About the 10th times Elayne took a bath teared me up a bit. It was so beautiful.

On a more serious note

The death of Jain Farstrider

Rand directly after his encounter with Tam

Nynavea's testing...the part where she is forced to leave Lan behind.

And to a lesser extent

Thom losing Sela

Death of Hopper

WoT never really made me tear up. Nothing too bad ever happened to the characters I cared about. There are plenty of shock and awe moments, funny and surprising events, and the occasional "Uh-Oh!" but nothing so sad it really touched me.

Actually until ToM I hadn't cried/teared up because as you said nothing that bad happened to my favorite characters (as opposed to in A Song of Ice and Fire series where as soon as you get attached to a character he dies...) but ToM really touched me. I guess there are two explanations 1)the Jain Farstrider/Moiraine/Mat being so noble part was really sad and 2)the fact that the series is so close to its end made me so emotional, in which case I really have no idea what I am going to do with the last book :(

WoT never really made me tear up. Nothing too bad ever happened to the characters I cared about. There are plenty of shock and awe moments, funny and surprising events, and the occasional "Uh-Oh!" but nothing so sad it really touched me.

Actually until ToM I hadn't cried/teared up because as you said nothing that bad happened to my favorite characters (as opposed to in A Song of Ice and Fire series where as soon as you get attached to a character he dies...) but ToM really touched me. I guess there are two explanations 1)the Jain Farstrider/Moiraine/Mat being so noble part was really sad and 2)the fact that the series is so close to its end made me so emotional, in which case I really have no idea what I am going to do with the last book :(

GRRM is in a league of his own for moments like this, well perhaps Robin Hobb is in the same league. They both feed on the tears of fantasy fans.

An innocent young girl marrying a bloodthirsty warlord, throwing that really likable little boy from the tower and crippling him, killing Lady even though she didn't do anything. And all of this in the first third of book one.

GRRM is in a league of his own for moments like this, well perhaps Robin Hobb is in the same league. They both feed on the tears of fantasy fans.

An innocent young girl marrying a bloodthirsty warlord, throwing that really likable little boy from the tower and crippling him, killing Lady even though she didn't do anything. And all of this in the first third of book one.

I dk... while all those moments were shocking and all that, they didn´t leave me with a whole lot of emotions, because I hadn´t invested so much in the chars, I hadn´t known them for too long or didn´t have an attachment.

I dk... while all those moments were shocking and all that, they didn´t leave me with a whole lot of emotions, because I hadn´t invested so much in the chars, I hadn´t known them for too long or didn´t have an attachment.

Yes I agree completely. I was mostly shocked at those moments but not so much touched even though there seem to be a lot more tragedies happening in A Song of Ice and Fire. So what I am trying to say is that VERY little can make me VERY emotional in WoT exactly because of the fact that I've grown up with those characters :)

Archived