DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Blood Of The Dragon

favouriteson

"The blood of the Dragon Reborn on the rocks of Shayol Ghul will free mankind from the Shadow."

"Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed.

Once for mourning, once for birth.

Red on black, the Dragon's blood stains the rock of Shayol Ghul.

In the Pit of Doom shall his blood free men from the Shadow."

I was just wondering what people's thoughts were that Rand's unborn child also has the Dragon Reborn's blood?

I've got a few thoughts in my head, but am keen to see what folk think

Apologies if this has been covered

"The blood of the Dragon Reborn on the rocks of Shayol Ghul will free mankind from the Shadow."

"Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed.

Once for mourning, once for birth.

Red on black, the Dragon's blood stains the rock of Shayol Ghul.

In the Pit of Doom shall his blood free men from the Shadow."

I was just wondering what people's thoughts were that Rand's unborn child also has the Dragon Reborn's blood?

I've got a few thoughts in my head, but am keen to see what folk think

Apologies if this has been covered

I think it's unlikely to be Rand's children--that's much darker than RJ usually goes. And it's also not actually certain Elayne will give birth before the Last Battle--she's not that far along and with the average timespans of the books being in one to two months slots....

There are other options however. Prophecy says his will spill the blood of those who call themselves Aiel (which is to say, he will spill his blood), so maybe this refers to the Aiel. Alternatively there is Luc and Galad, both close blood from his mother's side who could do his bleeding for him.

For myself, though, I've always liked the idea that that prophecy bespoke Moridin dying in Rand's body after the Body Swap. Moridin bleeding to death in Rand's body would certainly be freeing man of the Shadow.

I don´t know. Haven´t thought much about the ending and how it will play in with the blood. I know the Prophecies about the Aiel say a remnant of a remnant will survive (havent read ToM so I dk if something happens in there) but I always felt that was both meant to be literal and metaphorical. So maybe the Aiel do one final big battle, and their blood is all over the rocks and just a remnant of them will survive. Cause Rand is Aiel, so the Aiel are of his blood. I like this theory much better then bodyswap or some distant grand cousin´s brother of Rand dying.

Or maybe in this cause the Prophecies will be straightforward and it will be Rand´s blood. That would be exciting, a straightforward prophecy for once...

Elayne is only 5 months into her pregnancy, and the babies are supposed to be born strong and healthy according to Min's viewing, so there are at least 3 months left of it unless someone comes up with a pregnancy accelerating weave. ;)

Rand intends to go to Shayol Ghul really soon, Trollocs are invading everywhere, the seals will probably be broken on the first day of AMOL, the food is running out, etc, so it seems unlikely those babies Rand and Elayne's twins will be born before the Dragon's confrontation with the Dark One at Shayol Ghul.

Concerning Elayne's unborn children.. At the end of ToM29, when they have watched the demo of Mat's cannons, we have this:

"What?" Elayne asked as the Guards took turns with her glass, inspecting the devastation. She felt some odd indigestion. Had she eaten something bad for lunch?

No she hadn't. That was a sign of a threatened miscarriage (which we know won't happen according to Min). If Elayne indulges in any more antics, she may well bring on an early labour.. but the babies would be seriously premature and won't survive. However, there is the fact that - as Birgitte prob knows - time runs differently in T'A'R; perhaps that could be used somehow.

Concerning Elayne's unborn children.. At the end of ToM29, when they have watched the demo of Mat's cannons, we have this:

"What?" Elayne asked as the Guards took turns with her glass, inspecting the devastation. She felt some odd indigestion. Had she eaten something bad for lunch?

No she hadn't. That was a sign of a threatened miscarriage (which we know won't happen according to Min). If Elayne indulges in any more antics, she may well bring on an early labour.. but the babies would be seriously premature and won't survive. However, there is the fact that - as Birgitte prob knows - time runs differently in T'A'R; perhaps that could be used somehow.

It's not a sign of threatened miscarriage. Elayne simply realized (perhaps subconsciously) that she is about to unleash some potentially extremely deadly weapons on the world. Birgitte feels the same way and comments on it in the same scene.

"The world just changed, Elayne," Birgitte said, shaking her head, long braid swinging slightly. "It just changed in a very large way. I have a terrible feeling that it's only the beginning."

Hmm, I don´t have any evidence for this, but I like to think that Nynaeve will resque Lan from his charge, then Nynaeve will have to go with Rand to Shayol Ghul. Lan ofcourse, refuses to be left behind and goes with them. There the battle begins, at the crucial moment, both Isam and Luc get their `Coming back to the light´ and He (they) will save Lan and Rand by sacrificing themselves:) Don't bash me! I like the idea:P

Hmm, I don´t have any evidence for this, but I like to think that Nynaeve will resque Lan from his charge, then Nynaeve will have to go with Rand to Shayol Ghul. Lan ofcourse, refuses to be left behind and goes with them. There the battle begins, at the crucial moment, both Isam and Luc get their `Coming back to the light´ and He (they) will save Lan and Rand by sacrificing themselves:) Don't bash me! I like the idea:P

Noes! Isam can´t have his coming back to Light moment. He deserves to be pummeled by Perrin! Or turn into Fain´s pet. :bela: agrees with me.

Like others, it seems doubtful that the blood would be Rand's children.

I am not sure about it being a blood relative and/or the Aiel.

Not sure about the "body swap" theory either. As far as I am aware, neither author commented on it.

Those would leave it being Rand himself.

I think Rand would be resurrected sometime after his death.

I think it's pushing credulity that Rand wouldn't even need to break a sweat in Shayol Ghul. Seeing as how he now bleeds every time he does that, do we really need to look to obscure theories to explain that piece of prophecy?

The nice thing about prophecy is that it is open to interpretation. As stated by the person above me, maybe a couple of wayward drops would suffice? Why would he have to be drained dry to fulfill the prophecy? Or, I guess it could be metaphorical. In which case, spilling the blood of countless Maidens could also count. The Wheel wills as it wills.

I think it is real blood and I think it will be from the Side wound that will be ripped open while he is Balefireing the DO or the pattern itself.

It will dawn twice again I think this is litteral. Rand is going to realize a mistake or this have beeen the plan all along and in essance hit for a do over.

I kinds of think this is how the whole thing started. LT Broke the world by doing a BF and rewinding everything to give everyone another shot. Yes I know the normal BF is like 15min+/- but then we are talking about the Dragon and that unbriddled sword. Just tossing it out there. But yes his blood all the way.

I think it is real blood and I think it will be from the Side wound that will be ripped open while he is Balefireing the DO or the pattern itself.

Not with you on the whole Balefire part, but we know what the taint on Shadar Logoth did to the Taint on Saidin. Now include Fain and the dagger and the wound in Rand's side and we have the two evils battle each other.

About the Die and Live Again (hijacking this thread a bit), well we have seen both Matt and Aviendha do just that already. Rhavin kill them with a lightningstorm and then Rand Balefire Rhavin in he Dreamworld which cause Matt and Aviendha, and a lot of others, to come back to life as that lethal lightningstorm will never have happened.

Anyway, it says "The blood of the Dragon Reborn on the rocks of Shayol Ghul will free mankind from the Shadow." nothing about him dying due to it. A single drop would fit that prophecy as well as all of his would blood.

Perhaps Rand will be killed and Moiraine will balefire them the next moment? She is apparently vital for Rand's success.

- We already know that Mordeth's evil and the Dark One's evil cling to each other like a pair of magnets and consume each other.

- Something / someone who can not (or should not) be touched directly by the Power can still be touched by something else which is moved by the Power. Mat's ter'angreal doesn't protect him from rocks hurled by the Power.

- The creature formerly known as Fain is obsessing over blood, and in particular wants to drink Rand's blood. (ToM prologue)

- When he sealed the Bore, Lews Therin realized he first had to push the Dark One back down through it. He used saidin to touch the Dark One directly. Contrary to the popular assumption that the Dark One reached out and touched saidin, it appears saidin actually got tainted because Lews Therin was pushing saidin against the Dark One.

Lews Therin! Rand snapped in his mind. What do we do? How did you seal the Bore last time?

It didn't work, Lews Therin whispered. We used saidin, but we touched it to the Dark One. It was the only way! Something has to touch him, something to close the gap, but he was able to taint it. The seal was weak! [TGS, Chapter 22]

Consequently, I suspect that this time Rand's blood will be used to lure the creature formerly known as Fain into the bore. The good guys will use the power to shove the Fain-creature down the Bore and push the Dark One back through without touching him directly. Then the bore will be reclosed or collapse on itself.

• 9 months later...

I believe the Aiel will bleed.....

"Til shade is gone, til water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day"

The "on the Last Day" always rang true with the whole "his blood on the rocks" thing, for me.

Archived