DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin needed a second time

Thor

At first I thought this was going to be when Rand meets the Seanchean and they put the male adam on him, but that's now resolved without Perrin's involvement.

And then I thought it was going to be the confrontation with the borderlanders and their AS, but that was surprisingly peaceful.

So now it appears to be the upcoming conflict against Egwene. But I can't see how they would hurt him, despite how much a egghead she is.

Or perhaps against the Seanchan at TV, or against the Shadow at Caemlyn?

I just can't see Egwene really being a danger to him. To the world, sure, if she gets the wrong idea stuck in her head. But would she knowingly inflict bodily harm on him? Is she that far gone from who she was when she tested for Accepted? I don't think so. Or at least I wish she isn't.

Some have said the second time already happened with Semi and Elza(sp?) but I don't see how Perrin could have done anything to stop it, were he there.

I also have the sinking feeling Egwene and her posse will be the second time, I would hope Elayne would not be part of it. Eggy has said she will do what she must.

I also thought maybe Fortuona will strike up a deal, "help me capture him (w/ forkroot or something) and you can have half control of him with this (she whips out the DB)". A Seanchan woman is suppose to face Rand with her, yes? Maybe they are the "women who can channel" part of that viewing.

I was absolutely convinced it had something to do with the borderlanders, and their 13 Aes Sedai.

Ok, that is not completely out of the picture, as they for some reason stayed hidden when Rand met the rulers, but it does seem extremely unlikely now.

I have not really thought about this after TOM, but to shoot from the hip...

The end of TOM strongly hints at the Shadow starting to try to use dreams to get to Rand. Incidently, TOM also shows us Perrin learning supreme control in T'A'R, something Rand completely lacks. So, Perrin saving Rand in T'A'R from Cyndane and/or Moggy?

Some believe the second time was him shouting at Rand to hold on, atop Dragonmount.

I'm sure that's wrong. Perrin couldn't affect Rand from TAR in any way.

I was absolutely convinced it had something to do with the borderlanders, and their 13 Aes Sedai.

Ok, that is not completely out of the picture, as they for some reason stayed hidden when Rand met the rulers, but it does seem extremely unlikely now.

I'm sure it is out of the question now. Rand would never let those Aes Sedai be taught Traveling without testing them out for being DFs. He is not as paranoid now as the old Rand but he would have done at least that much. He seemed to have quietly tested out the Sitters when visiting Egwene in the Tower. Egwene comments on Barasine being able to meet his eyes.

Perrin will get plenty of chances to fulfill the viewing in aMoL. I've seen all sorts of theories about it but it's mostly pure speculation at this point. One thing I would mention is that Slayer apparently will play a big part in the LB (it's likely that Gitara Moroso had a foretelling about it) and Perrin is Slayer's main antagonist so it might have something to do with him. But really, it can be pretty much anything.

still very disputed whether the amulet works against saidin or not.

Brandon's confirmed that it does (and it was actually confirmed in the books when Mat visited Salidar).

Beat me to it, LoC chptr 40.

It's just Mat that's not sure if it works against Saidin.

Mmmm. I am bothered about this one.

Mainly because I would hate it to be Egwene. I would love her to mess up and get pulled down a peg or two, sure, but actually harming Rand? Capturing him in a similar way to Elaida? I dont hate her that much. And it would really destroy everything she has worked for. She is trying to change the AS ways, supposed to try and unite saidar and saidin. Harming Rand would be the ultimate idiocy. The only good part that would come out of it would be Perrin whipping the crap out of her, and maybe instilling some sense, but it would be a hollow victory I fear. I just dont think that Egwene is THAT bad, I would be sorrely disappointed to see her sink so low.

Also, she would probably go and kidnapp Rand and be hailed a bloody hero for it. That would just be too infuriating

Other possible scenarios i can think of.

1. Some renegade BA doing it as a last ditch attempt.

2. Moggy (as mentioned) in TAR somehow.

3. BT with the dreamspike (as mentioned)

4. Lanfear. What with her in his dreams and suchlike. Perrin is sweet with TAR. Imagine that Daughter of the Night v the Wolf King.

5. Seanchan comming to the WT, trying to force him to kneel to the crystal throne. (Although, I would imagine it is something Mat would fix, rather than Perrin)

Perhaps Aviendha will tell him that she doesn't love him anymore. Would that count as being hurt by women who can channel?

And now that Perrin knows all these things about Borderlander anniversary, perhaps he could help Rand woo her again....

What odds that Perrin saves Rand from an attack by Slayer in TAR? Maybe at the BT while Rand is trying to break through the DS?

I'm thinking in terms of what Rand-LTT can't handle in the way of direct threats --- Slayer and Perrin are both obviously capable of taking on Forsaken-class channelers in TAR and Rand could be attacked by Slayer in TAR. In that case, Perrin is about the only person on the Lightside, who may be capable of handling Slayer.

What odds that Perrin saves Rand from an attack by Slayer in TAR? Maybe at the BT while Rand is trying to break through the DS?

I'm thinking in terms of what Rand-LTT can't handle in the way of direct threats --- Slayer and Perrin are both obviously capable of taking on Forsaken-class channelers in TAR and Rand could be attacked by Slayer in TAR. In that case, Perrin is about the only person on the Lightside, who may be capable of handling Slayer.

Not in regards to this viewing.

Min saw Perrin saving Rand from FEMALE CHANNELERS twice.

Slayer is neither female, nor does he channel.

No - I think Min saw that if Perrin was not near Rand on two separate occasions , he would come to great harm. Nothing there about female channelers.

"When you two were together, I saw those fireflies and the darkness stronger than ever...But with the two of you in the same room, the fireflies were holding their own instead of being eaten faster than they can swarm, the way they do when you're alone. And there's something else I saw when you two were together. Twice he's going to have to be there, or you... If he's not, something bad will happen to you. Very bad. It will happen if he is not there, but nothing I saw said it won't because he is. It will be very bad," LoC

AND

She also said that female channelers may hurt Rand more than once. BTW that could be covered by the fact that they thrashed him and her continuously post-kidnap or by Semirhage (x2): "And there was something else, something new, an aura of yellow and brown and purple that made her stomach clench. "Aes Sedai are going to hurt you. Women who can channel, anyway. It was all confused. I'm not sure about the Aes Sedai part. But it might happen more than once. I think that's why it seemed all scrambled" -- Also LoC

Why are you assuming that the two prophecies go together?

No - I think Min saw that if Perrin was not near Rand on two separate occasions , he would come to great harm. Nothing there about female channelers.

"When you two were together, I saw those fireflies and the darkness stronger than ever...But with the two of you in the same room, the fireflies were holding their own instead of being eaten faster than they can swarm, the way they do when you're alone. And there's something else I saw when you two were together. Twice he's going to have to be there, or you... If he's not, something bad will happen to you. Very bad. It will happen if he is not there, but nothing I saw said it won't because he is. It will be very bad," LoC

AND

She also said that female channelers may hurt Rand more than once. BTW that could be covered by the fact that they thrashed him and her continuously post-kidnap or by Semirhage (x2): "And there was something else, something new, an aura of yellow and brown and purple that made her stomach clench. "Aes Sedai are going to hurt you. Women who can channel, anyway. It was all confused. I'm not sure about the Aes Sedai part. But it might happen more than once. I think that's why it seemed all scrambled" -- Also LoC

Why are you assuming that the two prophecies go together?

Hmmm. you are correct. Damn.

To be honest, I just skimmed over the main points of the thread and saw the female channelers and perrin saving Rand put together. I havent got the books with me, so i am a bit vague on thte actual prophecy I just thought the two were the same.

Hah. I was wrong.

IN that case, your theory is definitely possible. Im thinking it the most likely. Slayer is around for some purpose (expressed in the Luc's role thread) it is entirely possible for him to do something big regarding Rand, and, since Perrin is the one who is up against slayer most often, seems logical he would save Rand from Slayer.

Perhaps Aviendha will tell him that she doesn't love him anymore. Would that count as being hurt by women who can channel?

And now that Perrin knows all these things about Borderlander anniversary, perhaps he could help Rand woo her again....

That might actually happen given that Aviendha might now be afraid of having children after seeing the possible future.

Guest mike03

I feel like it will be related to Lanfear or Slayer, and I am leaning toward Lanfear because it would be a new development. Lanfear coming back at the end of Towers of Midnight was surprising, especially because it brought up the feeling of desire. Rand seems to think that he can control his dreams and emotions better, but Lanfear seems to bring out something again that might get him in trouble.

Slayer could still be a possibility, otherwise, why wouldn't he have been killed off at the end of ToM. He must have a further purpose.

I doubt Egwene or the Aes Sedai will try to control Rand, just because that was already a prominent scene in LoC. I feel like it would be a waste to have something similar happen to Rand. It should be a new shocking experience, but that's just my preference.

Perrin needs to be there a second time.

Rand will be hurt by women who can channel.

The Slayer plotline needs resolution.

No particular need for these things to be related, or for Perrin to have nothing else to do in AMoL.

I suspect that "Perrin needs to be there" thing will in fact be at Merrilor. I don't agree that Egwene and the Aes Sedai won't try to control Rand and prevent him from breaking the seals. In fact, I would be very surprised if they don't try something. And I think it is clear from the text that in that circumstance, Perrin is with Rand.

I don't, however, think that the confrontation at Merilor is the women who can channel hurting Rand. Because I think that has already happened, and in any case, I don't think Egwene will actually try to hurt Rand. Just control him.

I see the Slayer plotline as being Perrin's major role in the Last Battle, and not related to the particular reading under discussion in this thread.

Why does Perrin's healed leg still hurt?

It still surprises me that Egwene would try to control Rand. She knows what happened when Eladia tried to control him. She knows how bad it is to be "controlled" by the Seanchan. I've only read up to tGS, but she suspects the failed attempt of "controlling" the Asha man. She saw the failure in trying to capture and control Mog.. Which brings up the question, why would she put a leash on Mog. and then say, if Aes Sedi killed by them when the Seanchan raided the WT would be better off dead than to be leashed? With this, and a lot of other experiences in mind, I would sincerely hope she would learn her lesson and help Rand, instead of trying to control him.

Archived