DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Too Much

Kenny Simi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the only conclusion is that the Last Battle isn't being fought the way we imagine it is. Everything will seem lost, and suddenly Rand will realize that the real fight happens on a different level (world? Plane?). Once the DO will be safely Sealed away, my guess is that the Shadowspawn will simply die/decompose.

Thoughts?

Is it just me or is there way to much going on for it to be wrapped up in one last book? Logain's absence, Lan's battle, the Black Tower, the Seanchan, Caemlyn, the rest of the Forsakens schemes, and why is Shara even mentioned at all?

Yes, that's what I feel too. I can not imagine how BS is going to manage all of this in one book. He mentioned in some interviews that AMoL should be about the same size as ToM but I just can't see how that could be.

BTW, should this thread be in the ToM forum perhaps, to avoid ToM spolers in the general forum?

Is it just me or is there way to much going on for it to be wrapped up in one last book? Logain's absence, Lan's battle, the Black Tower, the Seanchan, Caemlyn, the rest of the Forsakens schemes, and why is Shara even mentioned at all?

Not to mention all the reunions, Verin's mysterious letters, a look at the aftermath of the LB, a few marriages.

And yes this should really by in the TOM part of the forum...

I used to think that back when RJ was adamant about only writing one more book after KoD. Now I'm content.

My opinion is that the most important part of the "Last Battle" was already fought and won in Veins of Gold by Rand. Now, he just has to do what he was meant to do all along, and he knows exactly what it is... Or, mostly.

Now, he just has to do what he was meant to do all along, and he knows exactly what it is... Or, mostly.

Really?

['Lost' spoilers ahead]

I think he's much in the same place Jack was after finally accepting his role as the defender of the Island. He's confident and resolute, but he has no earthly idea what he's really up against or what he should do about it (an 'all will be made clear in due time' approach, if you will).

ToM was a little bit confusing. In the firsts 12 books there was only though that The Last Battle would come someday, but now people have woke up and realize that it'll be like tomorrow..

More like yesterday :smile:

Just like with Harry Potter, yes, I read harry potter, not cuz I liked it, I didn't, but cuz I have a bunch of little cuz's, don't rub it in, I always thought that there would be additional novels. In the Case of Harry Potter, I think it will be an open ended option "Hogwarts a History" allowing free form writing from fresh writers. In the case of TWoT it will be "The Age of Legends and before." Or "The travels of jain Farstryder," and so on. TWoT has a lot of good fodder for extended authorship.

No, that will never happen. RJ spent most of the time after he told us of his illness joking/warning that we all should pray for him, because if he won't complete the series nobody will. It was a long time before he finally changed his mind, and he didn't do so lightly. I can't see Harriet allowing free form writing in the WoTverse (and considering his dislike of the idea, I wouldn't want her to).

BTW It bugs me when people apologize for reading HP. Not that I've never felt the urge, or succumbed to it, but I still don't like it. It's a perfectly valid work of fiction.

BTW It bugs me when people apologize for reading HP. Not that I've never felt the urge, or succumbed to it, but I still don't like it. It's a perfectly valid work of fiction.

Agreed. It's because people will jump on you for reading such an "inferior/childish/mainstream/insert-reason-here" series

Agreed. It's because people will jump on you for reading such an "inferior/childish/mainstream/insert-reason-here" series

I would only add one word to that sentence Ashandarei - 'narrow-minded' as in ....

It's because narrow-minded people will jump on you for reading such an "inferior/childish/mainstream/insert-reason-here" series

I have read the Hairy Plopper series, and I even liked it, for the most part. I had some issues with it, but for the most part it was exactly what it proclaimed itself to be, a fantasy story geared for Tweens and Teens.

But anyone who would chose to avoid a book or series just because it is 'mainstream' or 'childish' is just as narrow-minded as those who follow the series for the same reasons. And the irony is that they think themselves better for being that narrow-minded.

Back on topic though ...

Personally, after reading TGS I could see that maybe 2 books would be enough to sum up, but after ToM, I am truly worried that AMoL will end up feeling rushed. There are several threads on the ToM spoilers board that cover all of the things we are hoping to see in AMOL and I definitely do not think that many of them will be able to be wrapped up in a satisfactorily way in just one book. After ToM, I was thinking that he would need at least 2 books, not just one book. And I cannot imagine what RJ was thinking about when he stated that he planned on only one book after KoD.

A really funny point that I would like to bring up though is that back in 1994, just as LoC was coming out (actually during a re-read waiting for LoC), I had an idea that the total series would be 13 books, in part because there were 13 Forsaken and Rand seemed to be averaging killing one per book, but then LoC came out and the Forsaken started coming back. Given that info, I gave up on the idea that it would be 13 books. Imagine my hilarity when I heard that RJ planned on 12 books, and that BS was going to make the series a total of 14 books. All that ran through my head at the time was 'I was only one off, no matter who finished it, I was still only one book off.'

Now......I hope that the series will be completed in a satisfying way, but I am actually dreading AMOL, because I don't think that it's going to be any where near as satisfying as we hope.

Guest Emu on the Loose

I pooh-poohed Harry Potter for years. Then I actually read it. It's not bad! But the real boon of HP is that it got thousands if not millions of people interested in reading and in fantasy. That's a great good.

Anyhow, back on topic:

I don't think it's quite accurate to say that there's "too much" going on for the story to be tied up in one more book, but I do think that AMoL is going to feel starkly different from its predecessors due to its likely atmosphere of resolution after resolution, whereas previous books have gradually introduced more and more conflicts with very few resolutions.

I must say, I'm very interested to read Jordan's take on climax and denouement for an epic fantasy.

In that aspect TOM was a complete waste. Absolute waste. Half the book was back and forth crap between perrin and galad which was stretched out.

What's going to happen in AMOL is this.

Brandon is going to gloss over the still unresolved plots and rush them. Especially in the first 10 chapters or so.

Tarmon gaidon begins.

Different POVs which hardly matter since the reai important one is the one which is at shayol ghul

the dark one sealed

the aftermath.

What should have happened.

All unresolved plotlines should have been done in TGS and finished at TOM

Rand breaks the seals at the end of TOM.

Tarmon gaidon starts from the very first page of AMOL with demandred leading the charge right from the word go.

The way it was meant to be.

Ah well. Last book anyways. But what a missed oppurtunity

Tarmon gaidon starts from the very first page of AMOL with demandred leading the charge right from the word go.

Except for the fact that RJ specifically stated not all the plotlines would or should be resolved...

Fingers crossed for more books.

Will not happen. The most we could possibly get is the prequels and outriggers. I personally believe those should be left alone as well.

Except for the fact that RJ specifically stated not all the plotlines would or should be resolved...

i think your confusing ongoing plotlines with new ones that emerge from the ashes of the last battle.

The aftermath of amol is what jordan is talking about. He even said that there is going to be a hook at the end of the series to keep people guessing.

what i am talking about is current plotlines that are still haven't been done for ages. Like the black tower for example

i think your confusing ongoing plotlines with new ones that emerge from the ashes of the last battle.

The aftermath of amol is what jordan is talking about. He even said that there is going to be a hook at the end of the series to keep people guessing.

what i am talking about is current plotlines that are still haven't been done for ages. Like the black tower for example

This is what I was referring to...not all plotlines were to be finished, including some ongoing ones(although he does emphasize minor)

Robert Jordan Interview 1995

With the final scene in the final book (which he eloquently said did not have to be identical with Tarman Gai'don), all major plotlines will be resolved, and most minor ones. Some minor plotlines would still be unresolved, as a way to let the world continue to live and breathe. The surviving characters would still have lives to go on with, even if more "boring" ones. Robert Jordan though stated clearly that if he was going to write another book(s) in the WoT universe (something he thought was not going to happen), it would be placed at least 1,000 years apart from the events in the current books. There would not be any spin-off stories, or stories written by other authors set in the WoT universe, either.

in your opinion

You do realize that 'the way it was meant to be' as you put it, was actually for there to be no TGS or TOM. Instead everything that has happened in the last 2 books and everything that will happen in the upcoming book would have taken place in one volume. That is the way it was 'meant' to be according to the author.

If you are going to state an opinion as fact then at least have the facts right, please. There are noob's on this board that might take something that is clearly opinion as fact. While I'm not specifically trying to be offensive, the people that claim their opinion as fact (or state the opinion in such a way as to give belief that the claim is being made) truly irritate me. I mean really 3 little letters (IMO) are not that hard to type (that's not just my opinion, that's fact).

I foresee several plot lines being left unfulfilled by AMOL. Most I won't list here because I don't even want to imply what doesn't happen in ToM on this thread, but I agree that the LB (the important part of it at least) happened in TGS, the rest is just blood, death, and hopefully the re-Sealing.

EDIT: WOW, during my comment the thread was moved to the ToM Spoilers section.

I think the only conclusion is that the Last Battle isn't being fought the way we imagine it is. Everything will seem lost, and suddenly Rand will realize that the real fight happens on a different level (world? Plane?). Once the DO will be safely Sealed away, my guess is that the Shadowspawn will simply die/decompose.

Thoughts?

Maybe,

I think we as a whole, worry too much about tidy resolutions for everyone and everything in the series. Which would be great!, yet unrealistic. In TOM we've seen the departure of known characters [Domon,Julian, etc.] which is needed. Most likely AMOL will do the same. Anyway, I think it's normal to worry about the WOT, since we all have invested so much time and emotions into this series. But lets be happy with what RJ and BS give us, I think we owe them that trust.

PS-If something isnt resolved in AMOL, reach deep into your brain and use your imagination! This is fiction for Lights sake!

My opinion is that the most important part of the "Last Battle" was already fought and won in Veins of Gold by Rand. Now, he just has to do what he was meant to do all along, and he knows exactly what it is... Or, mostly.

I agree with this. The Last Battle was basically fought in tGS. AMOL will just be mopping everything up.

I think he's much in the same place Jack was after finally accepting his role as the defender of the Island. He's confident and resolute, but he has no earthly idea what he's really up against or what he should do about it (an 'all will be made clear in due time' approach, if you will).

Except that Rand Sedai does know what is he up against and has a pretty good idea of what to do about it. Better than most anyway. Don't forget, he's a 400+ year old who has literally been there and done it before (I consider the Sealing by the Hundred Companions to be a victory).

Except that Rand Sedai does know what is he up against and has a pretty good idea of what to do about it. Better than most anyway. Don't forget, he's a 400+ year old who has literally been there and done it before (I consider the Sealing by the Hundred Companions to be a victory).

A victory (of sorts) it might've been, but it's nothing like what Rand hopes to accomplish this time around (a la Veins of Gold's "another chance").

I don't think there's much left to do. AMoL will start with the leaders agreeing to Rand's demands, or reaching a compromise. There'll be battles against Shadowspawn, intrigue at the Black Tower, and uneasy truce with Seanchen. And lastly a few pages of Rand going to Shayol Ghul. It can easily fit in one book.

Archived