DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Bode Leashed by Seanchan

Harvster7

Guys, just had a thought.(Apologies if this has been covered already)

What if Bode is leashed by the Seanchan in their next attack on the White Tower. If Mat enginneers her release with Tuon could this spark the release of all Dammane and the truce with the invaders?

Thoughts please.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mat married into the Imperial Family, he would have sway over a sul'dam for sure.

Way back in one of the earlier books he thinks about his sisters but because of memory damage from the dagger

he can barely remember their faces.

But yes I've often thought about the reunion between those two. Hope BS puts it in the book somewhere

I mentioned my thoughts on what exactly it means to be the Prince of the Ravens in another thread but I'll repeat it here.

The Raven represents "property" exclusively owned by the Empress and the royal family.

This includes the Seekers, the Deathwatch Guard and almost every Damane among other regular servants. Prolly the Bloodknives as well.

My best guess is that the Prince of Ravens is the ultimate So'jhin and he would be in full command of the property of the royal family.

it could also mean that he is in effect the 'head' of the house since the imperial sigil is a raven and thus the ruling house would adopt it

There's more to it than that. A quick read through the glossary in the back of tGS or ToM on anything to do with the Seanchan will clear it up for you and see why I think what i do on it all.

I mentioned my thoughts on what exactly it means to be the Prince of Ravens in another thread but I'll repeat it here.

The Raven represents "property" exclusively owned by the Empress and the royal family.

This includes the Seekers, the Deathwatch Guard and almost every Damane among other regular servants. Prolly the Bloodknives as well.

My best guess is that the Prince of Ravens is the ultimate So'jhin and he would be in full command of the property of the royal family.

So he's probably the 2nd most powerful person in the Seanchan Empire.

I mentioned my thoughts on what exactly it means to be the Prince of Ravens in another thread but I'll repeat it here.

Yes and no.

He has no authority outside of the ruling house and can't order the other "Blood" around.

However, having the ability to deny the use of the Damane, not to mention directing where the Seekers should be investigating is more than enough to make sure the Blood not only views any of his "requests" with a high amount of importance but would make them tend to tread carefully around him as well :wink:

Yes and no.

He has no authority outside of the ruling house and can't order the other "Blood" around.

However, having the ability to deny the use of the Damane, not to mention directing where the Seekers should be investigating is more than enough to make sure the Blood not only views any of his "requests" with a high amount of importance but would make them tend to tread carefully around him as well :wink:

I thought being So'jhin in the Imperial family meant that person is still higher than those of the Blood lower than the Imperial family, which is all of the Blood now that Mesaana has exterminated the entire Imperial family aside from Fortuona.....

Yes and no.

I thought being So'jhin in the Imperial family meant that person is still higher than those of the Blood lower than the Imperial family, which is all of the Blood now that Mesaana has exterminated the entire Imperial family aside from Fortuona.....

Not quite. The High Blood treat So'jhin of the Imperial family with respect, and the So'jhin of the Empress as equals. I don't remember when it comes up, but it is in one of the descriptions of So'jhin (Ideal Seek shows it in books 8-11's glossaries).

Yes and no.

Not quite. The High Blood treat So'jhin of the Imperial family with respect, and the So'jhin of the Empress as equals. I don't remember when it comes up, but it is in one of the descriptions of So'jhin (Ideal Seek shows it in books 8-11's glossaries).

Yeah, I'm just basing this on the behavior we've seen so far from Selucia and Huan (so'jhin to High Lord Turak in Falme).

Whether Mat will be what I call the ultimate so'jhin is pure speculation on my part.

The Prince of the Ravens may have nothing to do with becoming so'jhin at all and just be a member of the high blood. Who knows though, the Seanchan never seem to do anything simple.

Either way though, I believe he will "rule" all the property of the imperial family as the title implies.

It's the Prince of THE Ravens, not just the Prince of Ravens after all, I think that makes a difference.

Yes and no.

Its in ToM

So'jhin:[...]Even the Blood step carefully around so'jhin of the Imperial family, and speak to so'jhin of the Empress herself as to equals.

Its in ToM

So'jhin:[...]Even the Blood step carefully around so'jhin of the Imperial family, and speak to so'jhin of the Empress herself as to equals.

I was never quite sure what to make of that, because the "Blood" encompasses several different ranks. The Low Blood and the High Blood are hardly even the same class of people, and even within the High Blood it's clear that not everyone is equal.

Do the High Blood actually treat the Empress's so'jhin as equals? If so, that would imply that the Low Blood might have to treat them as superiors. Or if they're equal to the Low Blood, than someone of high rank probably doesn't.

Didn't Furyk Karede refer to Mat as "Highness" at the end of Knife of Dreams?

It was actually Musenge, but to the same effect. Mat tells him to call him Mat, and he says something like "I could not do that Highness...to speak your name would lower my eyes forever." This may indicate that Mat has more power than other members of the high blood, as Empress Fortuona is the only other person given that title. Who knows though, the Seanchan power structure is complex and often counter-intuitive.

It was actually Musenge, but to the same effect. Mat tells him to call him Mat, and he says something like "I could not do that Highness...to speak your name would lower my eyes forever." This may indicate that Mat has more power than other members of the high blood, as Empress Fortuona is the only other person given that title. Who knows though, the Seanchan power structure is complex and often counter-intuitive.

Exactly, remember Tuon wonders in amazement over the possibly of having a Prince of the Ravens that won't plot against her.

Cheers - it certainly seems to imply something other than property to me - although as you said, who knows with that lot...

Cheers - it certainly seems to imply something other than property to me - although as you said, who knows with that lot...

Yeah, my ultimate so'jhin theory was just a guess and looking less and less likely.

I still believe his "rule" will be over the property of the Empress though.

Archived