DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WOT Art - A new picture of Rand

White_star

The OP is far too effeminate. He looks like a homosexual. That guy from Twilight springs to mind.....

The ebook covers are better. Or even how he is depicted on the original covers for lord of chaos or path of daggers.

Seamas does very good females, bar Elayne and Morgase who look like dolls. Jeremy Saliba does an excellent Perrin and Myrdraal.

The only Mat I like is, again, the ebook cover.

The stare is a bit vacant, and he's too....pretty.

I think the stare captures the Hell he's been through. When you go through something extremely traumatic you get a stare like that perhaps because you keep seeing it over and over in your mind. And, Min did say he still has nightmares about the "box" incident (whether that is still true NOW is unknown).

I have to give you that one. I could see him getting the "thousand yard stare" after the things he's been through...

I think one of the things I like about that first picture is that you can (well, I can anyway) sorta see what Tigraine(sp?) might have looked like. At least five other characters comment on how much he looks like her but not many artists capture that detail very well, if at all.

As for him looking like that vampire dude, I haven't seen the movie(s) so my vision hasn't been polluted much, but based on the pictures I've seen of him, I don't think so. Perhaps people think this because he has no eye color yet? Remember this is a work-in-progress.

Is it really "too...pretty"? Remember his physical appeal is 3rd or 4th most mentioned (directly and indirectly) in the books of the main & semi-main male characters. I'm getting the feeling some have a hard time visualizing and/or appreciating that part of Rand's description, perhaps guys especially? Unless your bread is buttered differently.

I bet if this artist did a picture of Galad, she could pull off an even more good-looking guy. All she would have to change is the coloring (sometimes that's all it takes, some simply prefer "tall, DARK, and handsome") and some facial features, maybe she could make Rand's eyebrows a bit more bold (something for Aviendha to moon over) and give him some scars.

Cheers! :rand::perrin::mat:

True (well maybe not as bad as chicken legs... :wink:),

OK, Rooster legs then :tongue:

but I think I always saw Rand with a very lean build, except for wide shoulders. It's how I see Aiel men in general, actually.

Intersting, that's how I pictured Galad, though I didn't think he was broad shouldered for some reason.

I've always pictured Rand built like a Gymnist/swimmer/basketball player. He's an only child of a single parent/farmer. He was the best of the archers of the young men, which means he has very developed back muscles. He was also VERY skilled at climbing and tossing his weight around which would develop his (I'm guessing this one) arms, legs, and pectorals. I'm not sure what muscles are worked in sword play, I thought that mainly helped with toning but I'm sure I'll get corrected if wrong. At this point -with how hard he pushes himself- he has to be close to Lan's build.

I liked the picture of Rand on the cover of ACoS

lol...that's probably my least favorite depiction of him! He looks like a Neanderthal in the process of falling out of his boots!

I'd say that of the D.K. Sweet covers, I prefer PoD Rand, though none are very good.

I think ALL those covers are dreadful. I'm not sure I could keep on reading if I was forced to imagine the characters looking anything like those pictures... :biggrin:

@White_star, well, Rand and Galad looking alike would make good sense. One hell of a gene pool. As to sports comparison, I see Rand as more of a runner, because of his Aiel blood. And runners tend to be a fairly lean bunch!

Why is Perrin always depicted with a shaggy beard and mustache? I always thought of him as clean shaven, at least in the beginning away. The beard makes him look forty years old, and if he had a beard like that he should be stroking it all the time.Never mind. I just remembered that he grows a beard because that girl (forgot her name) told him to.

I like that picture of Rand with only one hand that holds a sword. I thinks it suitable to the way he acts after finding out he could touch saidin.

• 5 weeks later...

This may be the appropriate place to ask a question that's been bothering me: if they ever made a movie(s) out of the books, who would you cast? I was thinking based on looks and not temperament of the actual actors. I've worked out Lindsey Lohan for Aviendha (the red-head thing), Mila Kunis for Nynaeve, Megan Fox for Lanfear (disagree all you want I think shes the hottest female in the biz right now), Scarlett Johanson for Elayne (or possibly a Big Lebowski era Tara Reid but time travel isn't really an option), Mickey Rourke for pretty much any of the older men, and after quizzing my lady friends I've determined the most beautiful men alive to be either Cary Elwes in The Princess Bride or Orlando Bloom so they'd be Galad. I suppose you could open it to an all time list and include people like Cary Grant and allow the time travel thing.I've always had a hard time finding in my minds eye men who are leading roles and described as broad as Perrin or Rand, or as tall and fit as the Aiel. Any thoughts? Computer renderings are all good, and the one where all three are together is a great one, but I like to picture a real face.

I really can't stand any of the depictions of Rand, Mat or Perrin I see on the internet. This includes the Seamas Gallagher's too. I just think they're either too effeminate, something which I don't associate with any of those characters, or they're too stylized. And most of the depictions I see of them seem like manga, which I can't stand. Seems like a real trend for Wheel of Time fan art. All up to personal preference I guess. The only Rand depiction I've agreed with was Darryl Sweet's Path of Daggers cover. And I guess the eBook ones are alright, not my style but not too bad. Just wish I could see somebody depict the characters in a naturalistic style that's true to their descriptions in the novels, although the eBook covers do attempt that.

This may be the appropriate place to ask a question that's been bothering me: if they ever made a movie(s) out of the books, who would you cast? I was thinking based on looks and not temperament of the actual actors. I've worked out Lindsey Lohan for Aviendha (the red-head thing), Mila Kunis for Nynaeve, Megan Fox for Lanfear (disagree all you want I think shes the hottest female in the biz right now), Scarlett Johanson for Elayne (or possibly a Big Lebowski era Tara Reid but time travel isn't really an option), Mickey Rourke for pretty much any of the older men, and after quizzing my lady friends I've determined the most beautiful men alive to be either Cary Elwes in The Princess Bride or Orlando Bloom so they'd be Galad. I suppose you could open it to an all time list and include people like Cary Grant and allow the time travel thing.I've always had a hard time finding in my minds eye men who are leading roles and described as broad as Perrin or Rand, or as tall and fit as the Aiel. Any thoughts? Computer renderings are all good, and the one where all three are together is a great one, but I like to picture a real face.

That's one of the best cast lists I've seen, I agree with most of 'em.

I dunno why, but Johnny Depp playing Asmodean, Hugh Jackman playing Logain, Christina Hendricks playing Melaine, and Chase Crawford playing Rand all seem perfect. Also, Emile Hirsch is a much better choice for Perrin, and that's not even going by the beardedness. The only one I sort of disagree with is Tamsin Egerton for Elayne, she's just barely too old.

That is a surprisingly good cast list. It's not just that most of the faces work, but it's also that most of the actors playing each respective character have the correct temperament and style of acting for their roles. I could see Emile Hirsch playing a fantastic Perrin for example, the same with Sam Elliot for Thom and even John Rhys Davies for Domon.

The only ones I have a problem with that I blatantly noticed are Brad Pitt (Sammael always struck me as slightly older), Matthew McCounaghey, Taylor Lautner, and Milla Jovovich.

But still, someone send that to Universal and get them to work on it :biggrin:

This has taken its place with another, which I can't find but he's standing straight with a sword(I think), missing his hand, and his head is looking down with a dark expression on his face( alot of people talk about this artist). I'm sure someone will find it.

Do you mean this one?

re-learning+the+sword+03.jpg

Change the hair colour and throw on some make-up, and that face is directly from The Crow.

This has taken its place with another, which I can't find but he's standing straight with a sword(I think), missing his hand, and his head is looking down with a dark expression on his face( alot of people talk about this artist). I'm sure someone will find it.

Do you mean this one?

re-learning+the+sword+03.jpg

Change the hair colour and throw on some make-up, and that face is directly from The Crow.

lol, I always thought the same about that one.

The artwork is wonderful, but mot Rand.

Would work well for one of these vampire drama deals, but not for a complex, half-mad ruler of the world...

Just my $0.02

IMHO, this is the best art I've ever seen of the ta'veren.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/339/d/8/taimon_gaidon_by_dem888-d348zgo.png

that looks freaking amazing. although maybe Perrins hammer is a bit too big, i'm not quite sure, and i always imagined Callandor to be a big western-style sword

Actually I imagined the hammer being a massive, two handed weapon, but Perrin can use it one-handed because he's kind of.... hulk-like. I agree with the Callandor remark, but other than nit-picking that is the best WoT artwork Ive ever seen.

great cast list

The artwork is wonderful, but mot Rand.

Would work well for one of these vampire drama deals, but not for a complex, half-mad ruler of the world...

Just my $0.02

IMHO, this is the best art I've ever seen of the ta'veren.

taimon_gaidon_by_dem888-d348zgo.png

AMAZING LOVE THAT ONE

Of Nyn, this is my all-time favorite, for lack of a grumpier looking one. http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/N/Nynaeve212/1047334972_resnynaeve.jpg

I really like this Elayne... http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101223181052/wot/images/thumb/8/88/Elayne_2.jpg/493px-Elayne_2.jpg

A very nice rendition of Lan... http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101223181053/wot/images/thumb/3/36/Lan_2.jpg/493px-Lan_2.jpg

And the wise old man, Thomdril Merrilin. http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090804062309/wot/images/thumb/2/20/Thom.png/500px-Thom.png

Sorry they're all links. We're too large otherwise.

Archived