DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WOT Art - A new picture of Rand

White_star

So I was looking at WoT art the other day and came across this new(I think it's new) picture of Rand,

Rand

All I could say was, HOLY GUACAMOLE! :ohmy: This fabulous. The artist did say it is a work-in-progress and I hope so 'cause he needs some color in his eyes and I 'm not sure I like his Bon Jovi hair style, but the color is perfect, his Aiel build is perfect, you can see his mother in his face, you can also see the "shadow of the wolf" in his eyes (that he's been through a lot) and a bit of sadness that Egwene talks about sometimes, and he's beautiful. And, she didn't add a dimple/cleft to his chin! Why do so many artists do that?

This has taken its place with another, which I can't find but he's standing straight with a sword(I think), missing his hand, and his head is looking down with a dark expression on his face( alot of people talk about this artist). I'm sure someone will find it.

Anyway, I just had to share this, Do you have a favorite picture of you favorite character?

This has taken its place with another, which I can't find but he's standing straight with a sword(I think), missing his hand, and his head is looking down with a dark expression on his face( alot of people talk about this artist). I'm sure someone will find it.

Do you mean this one?

re-learning+the+sword+03.jpg

Yes but tipically most artists (that I've met, myself included) are right handed so it's harder to draw someone from a left dominate angle and it still be your best work.

Or another possibility is that the artist was only told what to draw and hadn't read the books, and they were only told "he's missing one hand" or somwething similar.

So I was looking at WoT art the other day and came across this new(I think it's new) picture of Rand,

Rand

All I could say was, HOLY GUACAMOLE! :ohmy: This fabulous. The artist did say it is a work-in-progress and I hope so 'cause he needs some color in his eyes and I 'm not sure I like his Bon Jovi hair style, but the color is perfect, his Aiel build is perfect, you can see his mother in his face, you can also see the "shadow of the wolf" in his eyes (that he's been through a lot) and a bit of sadness that Egwene talks about sometimes, and he's beautiful. And, she didn't add a dimple/cleft to his chin! Why do so many artists do that?

Anyway, I just had to share this, Do you have a favorite picture of you favorite character?

There seems to be a big fad about making characters look like Pretty boys. This isn't my Rand that's for sure. Not bad per say just not how I imagined him. Maybe he looked that way when he first left Emond's Field but certainly not now.

Do you mean this one?

re-learning+the+sword+03.jpg

Bingo! Yes that's it thanks. :smile:

The artwork is wonderful, but mot Rand.

The stare is a bit vacant, and he's too....pretty.

Would work well for one of these vampire drama deals, but not for a complex, half-mad ruler of the world...

Just my $0.02

IMHO, this is the best art I've ever seen of the ta'veren.

taimon_gaidon_by_dem888-d348zgo.png

Rand

There seems to be a big fad about making characters look like Pretty boys. This isn't my Rand that's for sure. Not bad per say just not how I imagined him.

Ah but he IS described as good-looking. Nearly all the books has someone calling him, "beautiful", "pretty", "fairly handsome", "a good-looking fellow", or some other such phrase (sometimes by men). Sometimes it's indirectly like when Paden Fain told that one dude to "kill the ugly one" in Winters Heart and he goes after Lan NOT Rand. His looks aren't commented on as much as his brother but if the artist gets that right,they are only following what they are reading.

Maybe he looked that way when he first left Emond's Field but certainly not now.

Those eyes have seen too much for that to be a book 1 Rand.

This is more of an EOTW Rand:

Early Rand

This isn't my Rand that's for sure.

Do you have a favorite picture? Of him or anyone else?

Rand

There seems to be a big fad about making characters look like Pretty boys. This isn't my Rand that's for sure. Not bad per say just not how I imagined him.

Ah but he IS described as good-looking. Nearly all the books has someone calling him, "beautiful", "pretty", "fairly handsome", "a good-looking fellow", or some other such phrase (sometimes by men). Sometimes it's indirectly like when Paden Fain told that one dude to "kill the ugly one" in Winters Heart and he goes after Lan NOT Rand. His looks aren't commented on as much as his brother but if the artist gets that right,they are only following what they are reading.

Maybe he looked that way when he first left Emond's Field but certainly not now.

Those eyes have seen too much for that to be a book 1 Rand.

This is more of an EOTW Rand:

Early Rand

This isn't my Rand that's for sure.

Do you have a favorite picture? Of him or anyone else?

I like the pictures posted by Xader and Nae Blis. Also the new Ebook art Rand looks really good. I just felt like the artist of the first picture was making him TOO similar to the "pretty boy" image. I didn't say I hated it and they did do a good job it's just not my favorite. Though it is better then the Japanese cover art of Rand that makes him emciated(sp).

I like the pictures posted by Xader and Nae Blis. Also the new Ebook art Rand looks really good. I just felt like the artist of the first picture was making him TOO similar to the "pretty boy" image. I didn't say I hated it and they did do a good job it's just not my favorite. Though it is better then the Japanese cover art of Rand that makes him emciated(sp).

Do you have a link because I don't think I've seen them? (japanese or the new eBook)

Would work well for one of these vampire drama deals, but not for a complex, half-mad ruler of the world...

Just my $0.02

Xader's Favorite pictue

That IS an awesome picture! :smile: It captures our boys very well. I also like this one of his. Rand's shoulder breadth (he's suppose to be just as broad-shouldered as Perrin, see early part of TDR) and build are better (I think anyway).

I think the stare captures the Hell he's been through. When you go through something extremely traumatic you get a stare like that perhaps because you keep seeing it over and over in your mind. And, Min did say he still has nightmares about the "box" incident (whether that is still true NOW is unknown).

He's suppose to be pretty, it is in his description. Of the main male characters his physical appeal is 3rd or 4th most mentioned in the books (Galad or Ravin and then either Logain or Rand then either Gawyn or Perrin or Aram (is he a main character)).

*I hope I don't come off as a pervert. Physical beauty is irrelevant really. I just like a picture to be true to the description. :blush:

Is this the one E-book 11? I love it too. I love the detail in his coat.

Is this the one E-book 11? I love it too. I love the detail in his coat.

Yes the Knife of Dreams one is excellent.

Again never called him ugly just didn't picture him such a pretty boy. I mean he actually looks prettier then how I imaged Galad to be. The problem maybe I'm having is that vacant look seems more "brainless" then "tramautized". He looks too much like a model posing "sadly".

The picture Nae Bliss posted shows him as beatened up as I imagined him. THAT looks like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Also isn't Saidin supposed to make the men look gruffer, tough, worn? Certainly not flawless and pretty like the women.

IMHO, as far as WoT is concerned, no one can beat the art of Seamas Gallagher : http://seamassketches.blogspot.com/search/label/wheel%20of%20time

I love his style, and I think he's done an excellent job of being faithful to characters' descriptions. Just about every design he's done is exactly how I saw the characters, especially Rand, Perrin, Mat, Galad, Faile... too many to list really. Although I do very much dislike his take on Morgase :D

Just my $0.02

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/339/d/8/taimon_gaidon_by_dem888-d348zgo.png

that looks freaking amazing. although maybe Perrins hammer is a bit too big, i'm not quite sure, and i always imagined Callandor to be a big western-style sword

IMHO, as far as WoT is concerned, no one can beat the art of Seamas Gallagher : http://seamassketches.blogspot.com/search/label/wheel%20of%20time

I love his style, and I think he's done an excellent job of being faithful to characters' descriptions. Just about every design he's done is exactly how I saw the characters, especially Rand, Perrin, Mat, Galad, Faile... too many to list really. Although I do very much dislike his take on Morgase :D

YES! He DOES do an excellent job! :smile: I particularly like his Min and Aviendah . Those two (and Galad) are hard to find good pictures for.

I think the only gripe I have is he seems to make Rand's thighs awfully skinny, they look like chicken legs, but maybe that's just because they are so long.

Seamas has an natural affinity to WoT and I feel he does justice to all the female characters, Galad, Thom and the male Forsaken but IMO...he can't really capture Rand, Mat, Perrin or any of the other male characters very well.

I most definitely agree with Xader.

That artwork is simply brilliant and captures the true essence of Perrin, Rand and Mat. It totally blew me away by it's sheer intensity. Love it love it love it love it.

I think the only gripe I have is he seems to make Rand's thighs awfully skinny, they look like chicken legs, but maybe that's just because they are so long.

True (well maybe not as bad as chicken legs... :wink:), but I think I always saw Rand with a very lean build, except for wide shoulders. It's how I see Aiel men in general, actually.

Some of Seamas' art is so good it makes me want to change my opinion on some characters and read the books anew. Yes, I'm thinking of Berelain :biggrin: He has made her very, very beautiful. And just plain hot. Which is how we've always been told she is in the book, but it's one things to have words, and another to have a picture...

Whilst looking for pictures by Seamas earlier I came across another WoT artist I hadn't heard of (although I'm assuming he must be well-known), Jeremy Saliba: http://jeremysaliba.blogspot.com/search/label/Wheel%20of%20time He's good, but personally I really don't like his art as much as Seamas'. The characters look a little bit... I don't know... stiff and harsh.

Archived