DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aiel

jbc

The aiel are one group that have always confused me. Would someone please enlighten me as to the make up of the Aiel. Here is what I think I know:

1) The Aiel are divided up into many different clans and among those clans are the Goshen and the Shaido.

2) Each clan is further divided into several sub-groups called Septs.

3) Septs can be further divided into Societies

4) There are two ocupations for Aiel, Madiens of the Spear and Wise Ones, one must be a Madien before becoming an Wise One. Members of both are women. I have no idea what the men do.

5) The Wise Ones appear to be the ruling class of the Aiel.

6) Aiel referr to the Dragon as the Caracan.

7) Most Aiel are loyal to the Caracan, the most notable exception are the Shaido.

Warrior Societies span all clans and septs. Stone Dogs of different clans will never dance the spears.

There are many occupations among the Aiel, being a warrior is simply the most known one due to its prevalence to the story. We've got goat herders on this side of the Dragonwall, we don't need to hear about any from the Waste. However any Aiel - other than blacksmiths - will pick up the spear and know how to wield it when needed.

I assume you mean Aiel women. As with the men, these are only two occupations women of the Aiel may chose. Not all women wish to become warriors and not all women are fit to become Wise Ones.

There are no 'rulers' among the Aiel. This is a wetlander notion. They are guides among their people and people look to them for advice. The Clan chief - marked by the Dragon on his left arm - leads his people. Anyone has the right to approach and talk to him, he isn't some wetlander king.

Similarly, Rand al'Thor is the Car'a'carn which literally is the Chief of Chiefs. Leader of all the Aiel but not a ruler.

The ways of the Aiels are most explained in tSR:

1)The Aiel as a people are devided into their clans and societies.

2)The Society division has not much to do with the above division, it is like a carrer-wise division, occupation or job specification .

Like Stone Dogs are usually scouts or something like that.

3)Aiel do have a lot other occupations, but among the warriors, the maidens only have one society which is The Maidens of the Spear. If they chose not to be maidens, they do have other occupations. Aviendha's sister is neither a maiden nor a wise woman(a seamstress?), neither is Rhuarc's other wife (forgot her name).

4) A Wise Woman is much like the Aes Sedai of wetlands(they are respected in the same way). or more like the women's circle of Emond' field.

Much of this is already given in the books. Till which book did you read?

4) There are two ocupations for Aiel, Madiens of the Spear and Wise Ones, one must be a Madien before becoming an Wise One. Members of both are women. I have no idea what the men do.

Nope, one doesn't have to be a Maiden before becoming a Wise Ones, in fact those like Aviendha and Amys which are former Maidens seems to be a minority among the Wise Ones.

Nope, one doesn't have to be a Maiden before becoming a Wise Ones, in fact those like Aviendha and Amys which are former Maidens seems to be a minority among the Wise Ones.

I think the only Maidens who become Wise Ones are those who can channel.

I think the only Maidens who become Wise Ones are those who can channel.

Probably a Maiden who can't channel could be chosen to be a Wise One (they're chosen, right? Or is it some combination of volunteering and conscription?), but only those Maidens (and non-Maidens) who channel are required to become Wise Ones.

What do they mean to "To Dance the Spears", I thought this translating as going to battle?

I understand what is ment when they say there is no rulers among the Aiel but it seems to me that the Clan Chiefs qualify since they control their clans.

Since there is no central Aiel authority are there any sense as to why there is animosity amoung the clans? It seems to me that the clans don't like each other that much.

What do they mean to "To Dance the Spears", I thought this translating as going to battle?

I understand what is ment when they say there is no rulers among the Aiel but it seems to me that the Clan Chiefs qualify since they control their clans.

Since there is no central Aiel authority are there any sense as to why there is animosity amoung the clans? It seems to me that the clans don't like each other that much.

To dance the spears refers to fighting in generasl, not only battles.

The animosity...Main reason should be resources, especially water, but also mines, access to trade routes etc.

the infighting between aiel is mostly over water resources, and goats and such. To me it is kind of like the war between the Triple Alliance of MesoAmerica, where they are in a constant state of war (although that was for religious sacrafices) for the aiel it is for their prophecy that the three fold land is to shape them. And what better shape than a spear?

JBC, it might help to think of the clans as tribes, and the septs as clans, at least in kind of a Celtic setting, such that families make up clans, and clans make up tribes. With the Aiel, families make up septs, and septs make up clans. Their are twelve Aiel clans with shifting animosities and alliances. They are isolated in the Waste, so most of their interactions are with one another. That means that clans raid each others cattle, crops, and water sources. It is considered a matter of course with them, but sometimes, it escalates until it becomes bitter and personal. That is how blood feuds between clans arise, where the animosity is more intense, and the intention is to kill the other clan, rather than just getting the better of them by stealing their wealth. The warrior societies are like occupational guilds or unions, and they cross sept and clan lines. As has been stated, members of the same society will not fight each other, even if they belong to clans that have a blood feud, but they will certainly fight anyone else. I hope that helps.

Archived