DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Typo/Errata Thread

Luckers

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's something that confuses me. The Black Ajah, Siuan, Leane and Nynaeve were all using copies of the dream ter'angreal--i.e. ones that only allow you to channel a minute trickle. So how were they throwing around blasts like they were in the Dream Battle?

Since nearly everyone was using copies Elayne had made, they were mostly on an equal footing. Another point is that they weren't using weaves that directly relied on relative strength (i.e. trying to shield the black sisters), so T'A'R helped augment the intended effects.

Be that as it may, the channeling going on there did seem a bit over the top.

-- dwn

Nah, it's not a case of 'they'd be equally weak' it's a case of 'they'd all be so weak they couldn't do anything'. Consider Nynaeve when fighting Moghedien at the end of The Fires of Heaven.

Nynaeve thought of channeling. But what? A dagger that might not even penetrate the woman’s skin? Fire that would not singe her skirts?’ Moghedien knew how useless she was; she was not even looking at her. [tFoH; 54, To Caemlyn]

And yet we see these women fight comprehensively with the Power. It's not even a case of 'well maybe Mesaana fixed the ter'angreal' because Nynaeve, Siuan and Leane all fought using the Power to great effect.

Also, if there was a way to overcome that weakness, you'd think Moghedien would have mentioned it here:

"You brainless fool," Moghedien sobbed, shaking Nynaeve's skirt with both hands as if wanting to shake Nynaeve. "It does not matter how brave you are. We are linked, but you contribute nothing the way you are. Not a shred. It is my strength, and your madness. They are here in the flesh, not dreaming! They are using things you have never dreamed of! They will destroy us if we stay!"

Also, if there was a way to overcome that weakness, you'd think Moghedien would have mentioned it here:

"You brainless fool," Moghedien sobbed, shaking Nynaeve's skirt with both hands as if wanting to shake Nynaeve. "It does not matter how brave you are. We are linked, but you contribute nothing the way you are. Not a shred. It is my strength, and your madness. They are here in the flesh, not dreaming! They are using things you have never dreamed of! They will destroy us if we stay!"

I believe Moghedion meant the one-sided link of the a'dam. Nynaeve, acting as a sul'dam, contributed nothing of her own strength to the circle.

Be that as it may, Lucker's points about that fight are still valid. Nynaeve believes her channeling would be too insubstantial to harm Moghedion.

-- dwn

Edited by dwn

I believe Moghedion meant the one-sided link of the a'dam. Nynaeve, acting as a sul'dam, contributed nothing of her own strength to the circle.

I'm not so sure that's true. The a'dam functions as a link with the sul'dam in control; the sul'dam usually do not contribute because they have not actually started channeling, but there is nothing to say that they cannot.

I'm not so sure that's true. The a'dam functions as a link with the sul'dam in control; the sul'dam usually do not contribute because they have not actually started channeling, but there is nothing to say that they cannot.

Nynaeve at this stage was still unable to channel unless she was angry; wouldn't Moghedien's comment refer to that?

Regarding channeling in T'A'R; they channeled at full strength because they believed they could channel at full strength, right?

Regarding channeling in T'A'R; they channeled at full strength because they believed they could channel at full strength, right?

If it were as simple as that, it never would have been a problem to begin with--the girls had no more reason to think they couldn't channel at full strength than the Blacks did. Yet they couldn't. And it is also not as simple as Mesaana having told the Blacks they could overcome that with belief--Nynaeve, Siuan and Leane all accept the channeling limitation, yet still channeled to great effect.

Yet given Egwene's experiences in TGH, the damane apparently controls the flow of power, otherwise there'd be no reason to 'train' the damane. Now, that is contradicted by the scene with Tuon and Joline in KoD; Tuon seemed much more in control than Renna ever did with Egwene. Perhaps it's possible for anyone in a link to fight for control of it?

It seems pretty clear, however, that the a'dam isn't a conventional circle, even if it is related to linking (Moridin's comment about involuntary rings).

-- dwn

Yet given Egwene's experiences in TGH, the damane apparently controls the flow of power, otherwise there'd be no reason to 'train' the damane. Now, that is contradicted by the scene with Tuon and Joline in KoD; Tuon seemed much more in control than Renna ever did with Egwene. Perhaps it's possible for anyone in a link to fight for control of it?

I think it probably depends on skill and dexterity, maybe even the potential strength of the sul'dam.

These from the UK edition:

p63: Your queen is my leigewoman - should be liegewoman? I don't know, maybe it's an American spelling, but it looks odd!

p158: "I counted my horses again," Mat said. Those dice were still rattling in his head, burn them. "I did another count of the Band's horses. Turns out, we have some to spare. - The repetition seems odd?

There's also one in the second half of the book where "effect" is used instead of "affect", but I can't remember where - I'll pick it up on my next read-through.

Edited by DarkSideoftheMoon

Guest TeamGREASE

There's also mention of Bain & Chiad carrying Gaul's weapons as gai'shain.

I thought gai'shain are forbidden to touch weapons, without exception.

Edited by TeamGREASE

There's also one in the second half of the book where "effect" is used instead of "affect", but I can't remember where - I'll pick it up on my next read-through.

That one has already been noted on Theoryland, so you needn't worry about it.

There's also mention of Bain & Chiad carrying Gaul's weapons as gai'shain.

I thought gai'shain are forbidden to carry weapons, without exception.

You're right, I noticed that too.

What really got me was the big Lord Captain Commander of the White Cloaks being Galad Damodred(?).

I don't have KoD handy but I remember after they started spiking Malden's aqueduct and Perrin returned to camp the report Tylee told him about the White Cloaks and how Galad Damodred took over and they broke their oaths to the Seanchan. Then Perrin's secretary was all, "So Galad Damodred killed Valda? Good for Galad Damodred, Valda was a bastard I'm glad he's dead. I feel I owe something to Galad Damodred.

Then one of the AS was saying, "A pity Galad Damodred became a White Cloak. Galad Damodred had such potential."

And Perrin said, "I don't know whats so important about talking about Galad Damodred right now."

As far as the channeling in TAR goes:

Since Mesanna is so experienced in the World of Dreams, I wouldn't be surprised if she had either augmented their presence in TAR somehow or produced dream ter'angreal of her own. Having the Black sisters steal the ter'angreal could have just as easily been just to deprive the White Tower of theirs as it could have been to gain some for the Black Ajah to use.

It's also possible that most of the Black Ajah members in TAR are quite strong and throwing fireballs and such represents a fraction of their power; it certainly would be for Nynaeve, for example.

Bloody ashes.... cmon Mr Sanderson. Its "Blood and Ashes"! LIGHT!

I was actually happy to see a little variation in curses. "Bloody ashes" is just "Blood and bloody flaming ashes" with a few words cut.

p.530 "Not even to other points nearby, inside the effected area?"

should be "affected."

p.538 "That judgment is of no concern to this trial," Morgase said coldly."

Extra quotation mark not needed.

Edited by Roga

Guest Tai'shar

I'm not sure if this was already posted or not, but it's fairly late already and this is bothering me a lot.

Pg. 490: "'Tai'daishar!' True Blood of Battle!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the Old Tongue, tai'shar is the translation for "true blood of...". Also, in LoC (I think it's LoC) Rand names his horse Tai'daishar, and we're told it means "Lord of Glory" in OT. So, BIG mistake on Sanderson's part? We can't have the same words with 2 completely different meanings. Since war did not exist in the AoL i did not expect to find a direct translation for battle. I was hoping the word had come up when the War of the Shadow came along, since words like Muad'drin were used. I'm incredibly confused with this. Please help?

As far as the channeling in TAR goes:

Since Mesanna is so experienced in the World of Dreams, I wouldn't be surprised if she had either augmented their presence in TAR somehow or produced dream ter'angreal of her own. Having the Black sisters steal the ter'angreal could have just as easily been just to deprive the White Tower of theirs as it could have been to gain some for the Black Ajah to use.

It's also possible that most of the Black Ajah members in TAR are quite strong and throwing fireballs and such represents a fraction of their power; it certainly would be for Nynaeve, for example.

Actually Nynaeve is the one who cited the fact that whilst using those ter'angreal she would not have been able to singe a skirt with a flow of the power. Additionally I did address the 'Mesaana fixed them' option--Nynaeve, Siuan and Leane were also using the ter'angreal, and could weave to great effect.

I'm not sure if this was already posted or not, but it's fairly late already and this is bothering me a lot.

Pg. 490: "'Tai'daishar!' True Blood of Battle!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the Old Tongue, tai'shar is the translation for "true blood of...". Also, in LoC (I think it's LoC) Rand names his horse Tai'daishar, and we're told it means "Lord of Glory" in OT. So, BIG mistake on Sanderson's part? We can't have the same words with 2 completely different meanings. Since war did not exist in the AoL i did not expect to find a direct translation for battle. I was hoping the word had come up when the War of the Shadow came along, since words like Muad'drin were used. I'm incredibly confused with this. Please help?

RJ wrote that scene. They aren't completely different meanings - just different translations.

US edition Chapter 27 pg 431

"But we must make some kind of declaration," Romanda said. She was

eldest among them, and would be the one running the meeting. "Something

to make the position of the Hall known, to dissuade the Amyrlin

from an imprudent call for war."

This is the Aes Sedai talking not the Kin. Age means nothing in the AS hierarchy. Maybe he meant strongest but I'm unsure if Romanda is the strongest of that grouping or not.

I am wondering if this is a typo or I am getting too paranoid due to being too many of them:

Page 669, Elayne's PoV:

"Dyelin said nothing to that. She didn't believe that Chesmal had been talking of a specific invasion of Andor; she thought that the Black sister had been speaking of the Trolloc invasion of the Borderlands. Birgitte took the news more seriously, beefing up soldiers on the Andoran borders. Still, Egwene would very much like to have control of Cairhien; if Trollocs were to march on Andor, through her sister realm would be one of the avenues they might use."

The sentence in bold is really weird. First of all, "Egwene would very much like to have control of Cairhien" - since when is Egwene intending to conquering kingdoms directly? I think it's probably a typo and it should be Elayne instead of Egwene, which also fits much better with the flow of Elayne's thoughts during this time. The rest of the sentence seems weird too. "Her sister realm"?

Okay, how about these ones (I'm mostly pasting from what I wrote in the 'ask a thread' topic)?

a) Both Morgase and Wil heard Perrin when Masuri's reportedly erected a ward around the tent (Perrin stepped out, Morgase inside, Wil faraway).

b) Elayne HERSELF referred to the civil war as a succession war, when she was adamant it wasn't a succession unless one House succeeded another in KoD. BTW Thom did that as well, and I believe him equally unlikely to make that mistake. If I'm not mistaken, the same happened in TGS somewhere.

c) Wasn't there something off in Elayne's timeline? She was aligned with Mat at the beginning, yet when Gawyn arrived at Caemlyn she was aligned with Egwene, plus there was her meeting with Egwene in the Dream World which I don't know how to fit in. I do remember that I felt something was seriously wrong the first time we got to see White Tower dwelers from her PoV (when that was, I'm not sure).

Okay, how about these ones (I'm mostly pasting from what I wrote in the 'ask a thread' topic)?

a) Both Morgase and Wil heard Perrin when Masuri's reportedly erected a ward around the tent (Perrin stepped out, Morgase inside, Wil faraway).

b) Elayne HERSELF referred to the civil war as a succession war, when she was adamant it wasn't a succession unless one House succeeded another in KoD. BTW Thom did that as well, and I believe him equally unlikely to make that mistake. If I'm not mistaken, the same happened in TGS somewhere.

c) Wasn't there something off in Elayne's timeline? She was aligned with Mat at the beginning, yet when Gawyn arrived at Caemlyn she was aligned with Egwene, plus there was her meeting with Egwene in the Dream World which I don't know how to fit in. I do remember that I felt something was seriously wrong the first time we got to see White Tower dwelers from her PoV (when that was, I'm not sure).

Different characters with so many different groups plus moves here and moves there, the timeline is very snarled throughout the whole book. I'm entirely unsure who did what when in relation to anybody else.

I don't know if this is a mistake, worded poorly, or a hint at something more:

Page 726

"The other four looked at her. She was of the lineage of the Dragon, one of the last living. The other three lines had been killed off."

Could mean that she meant of Aviendha's line, but if so, it could have been worded in a much better way. Could also have been meant to say "Last of the three". Or, it could mean Rand has a fourth wife.

Edited by CoonDawg