DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Typo/Errata Thread

Luckers

Not sure this really belongs here, but the manner of firing the dragon (p. 467) is incorrect. A shell should not have an external fuse that's lit before it's placed into the barrel of the cannon. That would make the shell practically worthless, because it would be impossible to time the explosion that way, what with the need to aim and the discrepancies in the burn time for gunpowder in that technological era. Also, misfires were fairly common, and then you'd have a lit shell inside the barrel with no way to get it out, which would destroy the gun and probably kill the entire crew.

When the packed gunpowder at the end of the barrel is ignited (which should really be done with a primer instead of a torch), it creates a large enough flame to ignite the fuse, which should be set into the shell instead of protruding out from it. That flame would set off the fuse right next to the shell, anyway, making any extra fuse superfluous. Finally, there should have been at least some mention of the recoil, as those things have a hell of a kickback.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Reading contently, when I found the only mistake I've ever found in a book. (Im on page 200 by the way)

It's not just a small mistake it's pretty big! And within twenty pages :(

so far that I have read, Tam Al'Thor has been with Perrin. And on page 175 (Uk version) is the last time I saw him was with Perrin meeting with Galad and the whitecloaks for the first time.

Then on page 199, in the scene where Rand cones back to Tear and has been gone for three days, Tam comes out of the stone of tear, and Rand cries into him that he isi sorry etc. it is somehow plausible he got there by gateway until he says "it's been three days, Rand. I've already met her".

But Tam has been with Perrin the whole time? And been mentioned by name about a dozen times by Perrin?

Another mistake regarding Perrin and Rand, is in his conversation on Page 172 (Uk) with Grady about the taint when this occurs "that's how Rand feels, Perrin thought, watching the colours swirl again and his friend appear. He was riding his large black horse through a city with muddy streets, speaking with Nynaeve, who rode beside him". For one Rand as far as we know is wondering around Dragonmount and here there and everywhere. And then we find out Nynaeve has been waiting for Rand for three days in Tear?!

Can anyone back me up on this please? I don't usually care about spelling etc but I actually had to stop because I got confused :(

Was Reading contently, when I found the only mistake I've ever found in a book. (Im on page 200 by the way)

so far that I have read, Tam Al'Thor has been with Perrin. And on page 175 (Uk version) is the last time I saw him was with Perrin meeting with Galad and the whitecloaks for the first time.

Then on page 199, in the scene where Rand cones back to Tear and has been gone for three days, Tam comes out of the stone of tear, and Rand cries into him that he isi sorry etc. it is somehow plausible he got there by gateway until he says "it's been three days, Rand. I've already met her".

But Tam has been with Perrin the whole time? And been mentioned by name about a dozen times by Perrin?

I know for sure this is due to timeline issues, since Perrin was so far behind Rand. The time Tam left Perrin in ToM occurred just before Tam met Rand in TGS. He never came back to be with Perrin after he went to Tear that I know of after that unless I missed it.

The other issue I don't know for sure.

Edit... now that I think about it it's likely that Tam hasn't left Perrin's group yet as of page 200. /shrug he leaves Perrin's group to be with Rand in TGS :rolleyes:

Edited by Sid

In "A Storm of Light", Ituralde mentions Rand destroying the Shadowspawn with Deathgates. Is it likely that he would know what a Deathgate was? The only way I could think he'd know would be if some of his Ashaman told him. that doesn't seem plausible. As far as I know, the only Ashaman that know of the Death gates are with Rand, not Ituralde.

Edited by The Dirty Landry

Another mistake regarding Perrin and Rand, is in his conversation on Page 172 (Uk) with Grady about the taint when this occurs "that's how Rand feels, Perrin thought, watching the colours swirl again and his friend appear. He was riding his large black horse through a city with muddy streets, speaking with Nynaeve, who rode beside him". For one Rand as far as we know is wondering around Dragonmount and here there and everywhere. And then we find out Nynaeve has been waiting for Rand for three days in Tear?!

Can anyone back me up on this please? I don't usually care about spelling etc but I actually had to stop because I got confused :(

These are both caused by Perrin's timeline being behind Rand's. It is very clear when Perrin's timeline reaches the end of tGS (which is when Tam leaves), and you aren't there yet. So in Perrin's PoV, Tam is still there. But from Rand's, obviously, Tam has already arrived.

Rand riding with Nynaeve on the muddy street is the same day from tGS where Cadsuane is following him around inside the city (don't recall which) and Rand thinks that even if she hides her face he still recognizes her posture.

P. 486 The paving stones were wet from a misting earlier in the night, and they reflected the silvered moon.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember mention of the clouds parting in Caemlyn before this.

Edited by Lironah

In "A Force of Light", Ituralde mentions Rand destroying the Shadowspawn with Deathgates. Is it likely that he would know what a Deathgate was? The only way I could think he'd know would be if some of his Ashaman told him. that doesn't seem plausible. As far as I know, the only Ashaman that know of the Death gates are with Rand, not Ituralde.

Rand first used the Deathgates way before he sent Ituralde off. There are plenty of unnamed Asha'man to pick from.

Yeah I noticed all these typo's myself, makes you wonder what happenned with the Editor and Proof reader.

I must admit I was confused about the timeline jumping back and forth as well, very confusing, it was all over the place. Probably why some folk are now theorizing that Nakomi is Verin as the timeline is screwed up so bad.

The plot is still amazing so much work for the Light still to do and apparently by end of book all Hell is going to break loose the next day.

But all these errors are confusing the clues and the foreshadowing technique is some of them deliberate or was the Editor on her holiday when the draft was aproved for print? RJ wouldn't have made as many mistakes, Iv never noticed any previously tbh.

As for the timeline confusion it's a shame they couldn't have a sub heading stating "3 days previously" or "present day" etc

Edited by Cazajay

P. 217 US hardcover: "When her foot hit the paving stone, the stone turned to dust. Her food sank through the shattered paving stone and hit packed earth."

Also I'm not sure why Ch. 11 "An Unexpected Letter" uses the Dragon icon. It's an Elayne POV.

I'm sure the confusion over Tam's placing is just an artifact of the back-and-forth timeline with the book split. Later in the book Tam does tell Perrin he needs to leave to go to Rand.

P. 217 US hardcover: "When her foot hit the paving stone, the stone turned to dust. Her food sank through the shattered paving stone and hit packed earth."

Also I'm not sure why Ch. 11 "An Unexpected Letter" uses the Dragon icon. It's an Elayne POV.

I wondered about that as well. I need to go re-read the chapter and see if there is a reason.