DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand just had HIS ''Epiphany''...Perrins Epiphahy likely Forthcoming...Has Mat *Already* HAD his??!

The Fisher King

Mat's epiphany as far as being a general happened when he meets up with the Band again in KoD. Before, I don't think he had every really accepted that he is destined to lead armies. During Tuon's POV, she mentions how he all the sudden looks resigned when he learns that they will have to fight in order to get Tuon to safety.

I think Mats epiphany is that, as sounder of the Horn, he is supposed to be prepared to blow the Horn and lead the Heroes against Rand, in the event that Rand was turned Dark. I think that when Mat has this epiphany he will glue himself to Rand, doing his best to look out for him and whatnot, trying to make up for the bad things Mat had said to Rand in the earlier books. I wouldnt mind at all if this epihpany happened after the Rand-Moridin bodyswap and Mat was the first one to realise something had happened to Rand, because every time he thought of Rand Moridins face appeared in his vision, and Mats epiphany would lead him to find Rand, prove to the others who he was, and get him to Shayol Ghul in one piece.

@Crael: You be Funny! :)

@Dirty Laundry: I agree, in that the scene you decribe was definitely a HUGE Moment for him.

@Duskfire: I agree that the WH/Tuon scene was a MAJOR kickstart for him.

@Yoniyo: I liked that too! We all know how badly Mathates work, LOL!!!

@Drekka: - I can always count on you to go deep, but I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Personally, I think that, whereas Rand has had a few specific MAJOR events shape who he is at this point (Dumai's Wells, The Cleansing, VOG) and foreshadowing seems to indicate that Perrin also has a very specific MAJOR Event coming up...that...Mat seems to have had alot of ''little'' instances along the way that have shaped him a bit more gradually than the others.

I will say that I thought the conversation between Mat and Thom on horseback in TGS was a MAJOR step towards acceptance for Mat and have always been a bit surprised that there hasn't been more discussion of that scene here.

- Fish

Perrin totally has already had his epiphany. After rescuing Faile, he realises that he has in a way turned his back on all of his people when he adandoned everything to search for her.

I think there is alot of merit to this, actually. I know there have been alot of complaints about Sanderson keeping Perrin pretty much stalled in his stagnant emo phase, but, though it was brief, I really liked Sanderson's take on Perrin in Gathering Storm...I feel its realistic and natural as well that a man who had just betrayed so much to get his wife back (noble as a husband, but very very selfish in the grand scheme of things) who have a major ''OMG What did I just DO???!'' moment after his wife was rescued and her safety assured.

Fish

I don't know. I'm leaning towards Mat achieving his epiphany somewhere in ToM, perhaps in Finnland. Rand has reached his destiny as the Dragon, savior of the world. Perrin has to reach his destiny as the Wolf King, rational man and feral beast. What is Mat's destiny? Maybe it's Son of Battles, and when he reaches his epiphany he'll lead the armies of light into the Last Battle.

mat is definitely the son of battles, unless you think that one refers to rand being born during a battle, with all of the memories in his head of battle after battle, after battle, and his memories starting to mix, etc... i think his epiphany will come when he realizes that as son of battles he needs to be leading the ever victorious army.

One of the major turning points for Mat is while sitting above Ebou-dar, watching the ships burn in harbor. This is where he fully realizes the the extreme consequences of his actions. Since then he more pretends to be the rogue gambler that he used to be, but he's moving towards the great captain he is becoming.

What if he was gay? That would be BEYOND HELARIOUS seeing how hes the biggest ladies man evaaaa!!!

but seriously i doubt he will have one he seems pretty well set. He will go to TOG. He will attempt a rescue. and we are yet to see how that works out

Mat being gay? R u on crack? Have u taken a look at the man? His second name should be the Casanova Reborn! mat.gif

As far as "Aha!" moment - I think it happened sometime between now and getting out of Altara. Once he started to think about the butcher's bill a lot to me it shows that he's getting where he needs to be. But I don't think Mat will have a moment of enlightenment. Instead he progresses to grow throughout the books. He feels more and more of the responsibility and becomes more serious in some ways (though still being Mat). I wish Mr. Shaggy Hair and Mr. I Will Count Dead Women in My Head did the same - gain wisdom overtime and not in leaps.

Perrin totally has already had his epiphany. After rescuing Faile, he realises that he has in a way turned his back on all of his people when he adandoned everything to search for her.

I think there is alot of merit to this, actually. I know there have been alot of complaints about Sanderson keeping Perrin pretty much stalled in his stagnant emo phase, but, though it was brief, I really liked Sanderson's take on Perrin in Gathering Storm...I feel its realistic and natural as well that a man who had just betrayed so much to get his wife back (noble as a husband, but very very selfish in the grand scheme of things) who have a major ''OMG What did I just DO???!'' moment after his wife was rescued and her safety assured.

Fish

And yet he says he would do it again.

Fish

course he would, it's his wife after all

Fish

so let the world burn b/c she does not understand the meaning of safety?

Fish

Thats how Perrin described it before, yes.

Fish

Thats how Perrin described it before, yes.

Which kind of shows that he needs some serious growing up to do. I understand where he's coming from but "Duty heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather." uno.gif

I can understand what Perrin did for Faile; Rand would do much the same thing for Min. Remember whne he busted out of the box at Dumai Wells thinking they had hurt Min? He went absolutely psycho. Perrins problem is that he hasnt grown up basically. Worrying about the same things since the very first book is retarded. Like the Wolf thing - get the heck over it already. Rand has accepted his savior/destroyer status, Mat puts up his memories, Perrin is still grumbling inwardly about the wolves. That should have been resolved four books ago. And his whole leadership thing, argh. Compared to Rand, he has nothing.

Archived