DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Minor Spoilers From Later in ToM + Glossary

Terez

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Link172

Has anyone ever considered the possibility that Asmodean was resurrected for some secret purpose? Most characters have assumed the DO was too angry to bother, but I personally don't recall anything being explicitly said by the DO or SH. That could be the potential relevance of an Asmodean glossary entry(Beyond who murdered him anyway).

Has anyone ever considered the possibility that Asmodean was resurrected for some secret purpose? Most characters have assumed the DO was too angry to bother, but I personally don't recall anything being explicitly said by the DO or SH. That could be the potential relevance of an Asmodean glossary entry(Beyond who murdered him anyway).

RJ said GLoD couldn't bring back Asmo - because of both the "where" and "when" he was killed.

Have Brandon or Tor thought about publicly talking about this issue in the glossary? Personally I love to read the pre-release material and discussing spoilers, but if I was one of those people who doesn't like reading any kind of spoiler before the book is out and I began reading it, I would be pissed if I accidently saw this revelation. Not that it would be likely, but I know I've flipped back to the glossary a time or two in the past when I've forgotten who some minor character was. It might be nice to warn the people, and saying that there's spoilers in the glossary doesn't ruin the book at all.

Have Brandon or Tor thought about publicly talking about this issue in the glossary? Personally I love to read the pre-release material and discussing spoilers, but if I was one of those people who doesn't like reading any kind of spoiler before the book is out and I began reading it, I would be pissed if I accidently saw this revelation. Not that it would be likely, but I know I've flipped back to the glossary a time or two in the past when I've forgotten who some minor character was. It might be nice to warn the people, and saying that there's spoilers in the glossary doesn't ruin the book at all.

I believe Brandon has tweeted about the spoiler already, I know I've seen it on twitter somewhere at least. Tor should definitely say something though before the book gets ruined on an accident.

I believe Brandon has tweeted about the spoiler already, I know I've seen it on twitter somewhere at least. Tor should definitely say something though before the book gets ruined on an accident.

But, THEY'RE the ones that put it in the glossary. They know early copies of the book are out there, for reviews, promotional matters, etc. In other words, Tor and Team Jordan are in such control of the content (as they should be)...Im just saying that, I have a feeling that this isn't something they are too upset about...or it probably never would have gotten ''out there.''

Fish

When did you start reading the series? This seems to be the divider between those who liked COT and those who did not.

tGS was the first book I had to wait for and thus I had great expectation for it (which were fulfilled for the most part). It always was surprising to me that people didn't like 9, 10, and 11 - I personally really enjoyed them. Maybe there is something to the fact you pointing at....

I have been reading the series since 1991, and while the books just previous to KoD weren't my favorites I never fully understood the dislike of these books by many fans.

I think the thing people need to remember is that Jordan had many, many story arcs going at the same time in those books. In a long series the arcs are going to spread out more than they will in a shorter series before they pull back together for the conclusion, leaving more 'slogging' in the middle.

While I didn't have a problem with the books practically stopping dead in their tracks, I can understand how some might, especially after FoH and LoC, which are two of my favorites.

When did you start reading the series? This seems to be the divider between those who liked COT and those who did not.

tGS was the first book I had to wait for and thus I had great expectation for it (which were fulfilled for the most part). It always was surprising to me that people didn't like 9, 10, and 11 - I personally really enjoyed them. Maybe there is something to the fact you pointing at....

Same here!!!

I have been reading the series since 1991, and while the books just previous to KoD weren't my favorites I never fully understood the dislike of these books by many fans.

I think the thing people need to remember is that Jordan had many, many story arcs going at the same time in those books. In a long series the arcs are going to spread out more than they will in a shorter series before they pull back together for the conclusion, leaving more 'slogging' in the middle.

While I didn't have a problem with the books practically stopping dead in their tracks, I can understand how some might, especially after FoH and LoC, which are two of my favorites.

The action slowed down very much in TPoD and CoT. WH was acceptable, if slow, and a fair amount happened in KoD. I think it was the loss of momentum that bothered people. They weren't expecting a slowdown and the first 7 were crackers for pace, even though they were long (except for TGH).

I was disappointed with most of the "controversial" novels except Winter's Heart. Reader since 1995. Though a lot happens in CoT, it just wasn't executed all that well. I loved RJ, but his skill at depicting the intrigue surrounding the politics of the realm was not George R.R. Martin's.

Of course, no one can touch RJ in an action sequence. Which might have a lot to do with why those books are not well liked. WH's had the cleansing, KoD had the battle where LTT seizes saidin...no one complains about those scenes. :P

I shouldn't have read that. I bet Lanfear used one of her three wishes to have Asmodean killed. It is plausible if she had an opportunity to make a wish when going through the doorway. She certainly had reason too.

Larry said on rafo.com that it didn't have anything to do with that. I need to go find that; I got apathetic about updating it for some reason.

Don't know why there are still so many arguments about who the Asmo killer could be as its obviously Moiraine. Her and Lanfear were the only ones we know of that knew Asmo was Jason Nateal and she was the one who in a letter to Rand said that she didn't agree with his descision to use Asmo to teach him to channel.

Rand and Asmo wern't anything to do with Lanfears demise so I don't see why she would seek to kill either, her fury would be aimed more towards Moiraine, Egwene and Aviendha.

I believe that Lanfear used one wish to escape Finnland, whereas Moiraine didn't use a wish for the same purpose as she knew there was the possibility of rescue. I'll be interested to find out what they used their wishes for, and what exactly the prices paid for them were (other than the obv. body swappage and imprisonment).

Perhaps Lanfear used one wish to keep Moiraine trapped in finnland as punishment for fighting her, but now I really am guessing without evidence so i'll stop rambling...

Only question with Moiraine, is /why/. She knew Rand was being taught by Asmo, her letter proved that. Why wait till then, when Rand was learning well? I just don't see Moiraine as the 'Must stop him from learning so I can control him' sort. She learned better over time, even if she couched it in Saidar-isms. Unlike say, Cadsuane. :)

Only question with Moiraine, is /why/. She knew Rand was being taught by Asmo, her letter proved that. Why wait till then, when Rand was learning well? I just don't see Moiraine as the 'Must stop him from learning so I can control him' sort. She learned better over time, even if she couched it in Saidar-isms. Unlike say, Cadsuane. :)

I would say her thought pattern would be along the lines of;

holy sh** I forgot to tell anyone Rand was being taught to channel by a Forsaken, instead of freeing myself I'm going to have to sort this out before that bast**d manages to screw things up.

But seriously the only answer I have for you would be that she didnt tell anyone about Jason Natael/Asmo and since she could no longer keep an eye on him had to remove the potential threat.

A small thing sounds like an object to me.

A small object from tDR, that probably has something to do with Perrin. Maybe the tiny Ter'angreal that was shaped like a hedgehog and trapped him and Faile in The World of Dreams? It broke when Perrin set the falcon free. Maybe it did something to him...

I think you could be right about it being the "small thing" that wraps up perrins character arc. perrin definately needs a bit of a wrap up, and if you look at my thread on perrins dreams i think it something very significant... can probably talk more there about it though.

By the by afaik a few is three, four or more is several.

2 couple

3 few

4 several

Just saw you pick someone up on that ealier so I am just giving you a bit of pedantry back! Ho ho.

I have always believed that few=three, and that is the only way I use it most of the time, but I was recently corrected by a few different linguists on that subject. It's far more common for 'few' to mean '3 or 4' or even more than it is for 'couple' to mean anything other than 'two'. I said that the educated rarely use 'couple' to refer to anything other than 'two', but the same is certainly not the case for 'few' and 'three'.

I have always believed that few=three, and that is the only way I use it most of the time, but I was recently corrected by a few different linguists on that subject. It's far more common for 'few' to mean '3 or 4' or even more than it is for 'couple' to mean anything other than 'two'. I said that the educated rarely use 'couple' to refer to anything other than 'two', but the same is certainly not the case for 'few' and 'three'.

I agree "couple" can only ever mean two. The only time I ever exagerate the word "few" (ie. as more than three) is when I'm talking about how many drinks I've had or how many people were at a party etc. In all other circumstances few = 3.

Archived