DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Minor Spoilers From Later in ToM + Glossary

Terez

I don't know if we should read too literally into the next couple of books comments. People can easily use the word 'couple' liberally.

People can, but it's generally understood to mean 'two'. That is what the word means, and you don't typically find educated people using it otherwise. The correct word to imply '3 or 4' would be 'few'. And despite Cyndane's appearance in book 8 (three books later), there still aren't really any clues that point in her direction, besides her continued existence. Her new body makes it clear she died. Revelations about Slayer in book 9 (four books later), and Cyndane revealing she was held by the 'Finns. That's really stretching 'couple'.

One good thing about the fact that I don't care who killed Asmodean is that I can be a voice of reason. My favored suspect (which was always more or less a joke) was Aviendha. She seems to have been disqualified. :(

I re-read the first nine volumes this spring for the first time in 10 years. I might have implied something too specific; there's some clues through at least the ninth volume.

Now to stop the chattering, as I'm not going to be entrapped here! :tongue:

Thanks for the clarification. ;)

I missed this post for some reason. I've now added it to the OP.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote From Larry: ''It's a surprising book in many ways...And I think Sanderson could have said a small thing from The Dragon Reborn has repercussions in one major subplot in this book ."

Terez Asked: ''Does this refer to Brandon's 'small unnoticed detail in books 4-6'? Do you think it is more open to interpretation than we previously believed, or are you talking about something else?''

Larry's Answer: ''Something else. But it completes a major character's arc spanning several volumes.''

Ok. Fish Here. Regarding the above exchange: If we wanted to play detective on THIS tantalizing tidbit, then I think there are two questions for starters that may be helpful in solving the mystery:

1 Which ''Major Character'' (as Larry called him/her) seems ripe to have their story arc wrap up in TOM?

2 What were any interesting or ''Foreshadowy'' events that occured involving a Major Character in TDR that we can recall?

Fish

When Perrin sets the wolf dude free comes to mind - Perrin comes to terms with his wolf nature (finally)

What about the wolfdream Perrin has about Mat dicing with the dark one in tDR or one of Min's viewings of Perrin in the same book. We should look for unresolved plots in tDR.

Quote From Larry: ''It's a surprising book in many ways...And I think Sanderson could have said a small thing from The Dragon Reborn has repercussions in one major subplot in this book ."

Terez Asked: ''Does this refer to Brandon's 'small unnoticed detail in books 4-6'? Do you think it is more open to interpretation than we previously believed, or are you talking about something else?''

Larry's Answer: ''Something else. But it completes a major character's arc spanning several volumes.''

Ok. Fish Here. Regarding the above exchange: If we wanted to play detective on THIS tantalizing tidbit, then I think there are two questions for starters that may be helpful in solving the mystery:

1 Which ''Major Character'' (as Larry called him/her) seems ripe to have their story arc wrap up in TOM?

2 What were any interesting or ''Foreshadowy'' events that occured involving a Major Character in TDR that we can recall?

Fish

When Perrin sets the wolf dude free comes to mind - Perrin comes to terms with his wolf nature (finally)

What about the wolfdream Perrin has about Mat dicing with the dark one in tDR or one of Min's viewings of Perrin in the same book. We should look for unresolved plots in tDR.

Mat's dice in the head also happen in TDR. We might get an explanation.

It's hardly minor...

Well its minor in the sense that its not really expected to have any huge overwhelming bearing on the series. At the moment its more like a warning alarm for Mat, but it doesn't actually change anything other then well... to warn. However, if it has some actual surprising relevance to the plot such as Lews Therins voice, I can see that fulfilling the "minor" part for some reviewers.

Mat dicing at that point is generally considered to be his "bet" with Rahvin to getting to Elayne in time. However, it could be wrong I suppose and it could mean something more.

Hrm. Thinking about it, I'll try to list things that might be 'more than they seem':

1) Perrin having the 'Wolf Man' freed.

2) Mat's dice.

3) Callandor splitting balefire -- is it special even more than we know?

4) Egwene shielding someone in T'A'R. It had odd effects. Maybe you need to seal the DO up in T'A'R?

5) Mat remembering talking to someone in his dreams who 'made a lot of sense'. Does Ishy have a tie to him now?

6) Egwene's Acceptance Test. Did the resonance do something?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

- Cyf

Hrm. Thinking about it, I'll try to list things that might be 'more than they seem':

1) Perrin having the 'Wolf Man' freed.

2) Mat's dice.

3) Callandor splitting balefire -- is it special even more than we know?

4) Egwene shielding someone in T'A'R. It had odd effects. Maybe you need to seal the DO up in T'A'R?

5) Mat remembering talking to someone in his dreams who 'made a lot of sense'. Does Ishy have a tie to him now?

6) Egwene's Acceptance Test. Did the resonance do something?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

- Cyf

7) Hedgehog ter'angreal

8) Another ter'angreal that was stolen by Liandren's 13 was a ta'veren-like chance-twisting ter'angreal that has yet to be come into play.

9) Ishamael coordinating his Darkfriends via TAR.

10) Introduction of the concept of strong channelers affecting the dreams of people in their vicinity.

I actually did a re-read (a skimming anyway) of tDR last night and noticed a few things:

“Hopper, how are you here? I saw you die. I felt you die!”

All are here. All brothers and sisters that are, all that were, all that will be.

If what Hopper says is true, then that corroborates my own suspicion that the souls of consumed wolves that become Darkhounds are in TAR. I think the 'distant force' Perrin is sensing in TAR is the Darkhound-soul depository in TAR, and possibly Luckers' Unseen Eyes.

Also, I never really noticed before, but no Aiel seems to have a last name, and yet they have a cultural belief that to use only a person's first name is intimate. This really doesn't mean anything, but is kind of odd.

I guess Demandred killed Asmo. That's the only thing that explains glossary reference - don't look b/c you'll find out who's Demandred posing as and he also killed Asmo. So much for not spoiling anything...unless i'm completely wrong.

??? It couldn't be Demandred. Demandred's POV from LoC Prologue:

Another point pricked him. The Great Lord already knew how Rahvin had died. And seemed to know

more of Asmodean than he.

I guess Demandred killed Asmo. That's the only thing that explains glossary reference - don't look b/c you'll find out who's Demandred posing as and he also killed Asmo. So much for not spoiling anything...unless i'm completely wrong.

Another point pricked him. The Great Lord already knew how Rahvin had died. And seemed to know

Maybe he meant know more of Asmo than he in a sense that he knew details of Asmo's time with Rand.

Considering the details of the conversation, that is really stretching it. :)

The logical conclusions to draw from a single Glossary entry in ToM being relevant to both Asmodean's death and events to transpire in ToM are that the entry corresponds to the killer, and that the killer is still alive (at least as of beginning of ToM). I'm not even sure if this rules anybody out from the likely suspects (I've always leaned towards Graendal).

Also, I never really noticed before, but no Aiel seems to have a last name, and yet they have a cultural belief that to use only a person's first name is intimate. This really doesn't mean anything, but is kind of odd.

Aiel have only one name but it's never shortened publicly - Amys doesn't refer to her SomH Rhuarc as "Rhu" even in the sweat tents with other WOs. As far as Aiel are concerned, shortening a Wetlander name is far too intimate - if they have two names (or more), you're meant to use both.

Aiel have only one name but it's never shortened publicly - Amys doesn't refer to her SomH Rhuarc as "Rhu" even in the sweat tents with other WOs. As far as Aiel are concerned, shortening a Wetlander name is far too intimate - if they have two names (or more), you're meant to use both.

Makes sense.

Considering the details of the conversation, that is really stretching it. :)

The logical conclusions to draw from a single Glossary entry in ToM being relevant to both Asmodean's death and events to transpire in ToM are that the entry corresponds to the killer, and that the killer is still alive (at least as of beginning of ToM). I'm not even sure if this rules anybody out from the likely suspects (I've always leaned towards Graendal).

This actually makes me feel even more certain than ever that it was graendal...but we shall see...

Fish

Maybe he meant know more of Asmo than he in a sense that he knew details of Asmo's time with Rand.

Demandred doesn't know he's dead. He thinks as he is being taken to SG, something to the effect of "If they could bring him here, why not (some other Forsaken, I forget which he names), or even Asmodean?"

I also second the "don't give a damn, I'm looking at the glossary first thing" comment. I've waited too long to know.

Can someone please explain something to me that I guess I missed? - Why is Jason's review for Book 10 (COT) being referred to as ''a horror'' ???

Because he gave it a rave review, and apparently a large majority of fans hated it, or at least thought it was a huge disappointment after a 3-year wait. (I am not among them - I did feel a little cheated after reading it, but I still loved it, and I didn't have to wait years for it like everyone else did, so that probably has at least something to do with it. It was the first book I had to wait for, and it was only a year or two IIRC.) From what I understand, most people were mainly pissed that the never-ending plotlines of Elayne trying to get the Lion Throne and the Faile kidnapping were not resolved, and the book ended with a cliffhanger - Rand setting up a meeting with the fake Daughter of the Nine Moons, and Egwene getting kidnapped. Rand only had one whole chapter in the book, and the bit in the epilogue. Mat's plotline also didn't progress much. He flirted some with Tuon, and that was about it.

Archived