DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Minor Spoilers From Later in ToM + Glossary

Terez

Guest Emu on the Loose

With regard to Larry's suggestive comments, this has Lanfear/Cyndane written all over it. Or, in other words, wishful thinking by Emu.

With regard to the word "several," that means "three or more." The word "few," meanwhile, does not have a specific minimum (or maximum) quantity.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on the comments by Larry and others, I think the significance of "three" is that the original plan in TFoH was for for the forsaken to link when Sammael was targeted by Rand. Now those involved in the discussion were Lanfear, Graendal, Rahvin, Moghedien, and Sammael. So what is to say that Graendal was not linked with two others (forsaken or black ajah)and those three were the ones that killed Asmo? Or just by herself and in ToM she thinks back on how she was there to be part of the link.

Either that or the reference to "three" being relevant to Asmo is the three wishes that were probably offered to Moraine and Lanfear.

As I reread the fifth book now (for the dozenth time at least) the first one seems to be the most likely because while both are possible, there are still a total of five wishes that would need to be accounted for (two from the one that wished to kill Asmo and three from the other). Now if Moraine made the wishes, we may find out what the other two wishes were when she is rescued. I don't think Cyndane would be in her current situation if she had two other wishes, and considering how many people she was angry at it seems unrealistic that she would choose Asmo as one of her wishes and not others. Why not Elayne, Avi, or Egwene?

Those aren't new theories btw, I have seen them before but it seems like they only become more likely with the hints we have been given (and Slayer less likely since I do not know of any way the number three is relevant to him)

What I am still picking my brain over is what happened in TDR that is relevant in this book - enough so to be worth mentioning. The wolfbrother Perrin freed seems like it wouldn't lead to anything later on in the book (unless that guy went and found a cure or something). My prediction on it is that Mat and Demandred will gamble and Demandred (or someone else) will use the dice ter'angreal which will end in any number of interesting ways. But that is because that ter'angreal seems to be the only loose end from that book that I can think of.

So is the number 3 connected to the event in tDR? If so, could it be the scene where Siuan mentions the two male s'angrael that are more powerful than Callandor? I gave the early books to a friend several years ago but if I remember correctly the actual phrasing was something like only two more powerful that a man could use were ever created. Which leaves the possibility of a TP s'angreal that could be used by men or women. Siuan is not likely to know the details of the TP but there could be fragments of writings from the AoL that mention a very powerful gender neutral s'angreal.

So is the number 3 connected to the event in tDR? If so, could it be the scene where Siuan mentions the two male s'angrael that are more powerful than Callandor? I gave the early books to a friend several years ago but if I remember correctly the actual phrasing was something like only two more powerful that a man could use were ever created. Which leaves the possibility of a TP s'angreal that could be used by men or women. Siuan is not likely to know the details of the TP but there could be fragments of writings from the AoL that mention a very powerful gender neutral s'angreal.

No, the number 3 isnt connected to the events in DR. The 3 is about Asmodean.

Larry says "the number 3 is key to figuring out the murder"

number as being asmodean killer? glossary is in alphabetical order, could asmodean be number 3 in the glossary?

This was my thought exactly.

Darn you for beating me to posting it! (But from what Larry originally said, the glossary spoiler obviously reveals Asmo's killer, so it seems unlikely that the ToM specific spoiler can run too far afield from that)

It does run far afield from that. Very far.

Im going to put my card down here and now. Moridin killed Asmodean, and the other spoiler that runs very far afield is that Moridin came back in Taims body. I wouldnt object to a PM with an answer Larry :biggrin: joking of course. I wouldnt mind though

When did you start reading the series? This seems to be the divider between those who liked COT and those who did not.

tGS was the first book I had to wait for and thus I had great expectation for it (which were fulfilled for the most part). It always was surprising to me that people didn't like 9, 10, and 11 - I personally really enjoyed them. Maybe there is something to the fact you pointing at....

Same here!!!

I had to wait some time for all of them except The Eye of the World, which I read in 1990, and though I found a few of the books to have a different pacing, I enjoyed all of them and I really liked the in-depth look at others, and filling out of the stories of all of the characters, too often in books, I want to know more by the time I am done, not less, with The Wheel of Time, I will probably still want to know more, but probaly not as many questions as with some books or series.

Has Fain been ruled out as Asmo's murderer. He states in TSR after the Two Rivers folk fight off the Trollocs, that he is going to Tar Valon but Caemlyn first.

On pg 408 of LOC, he is in Caemlyn, wishing "he could feel Al'Thor's pain, surely he had caused him pain at least." (Perhaps killing off his Forsaken teacher?)

He says he would be dead the moment one of the Chosen laid hands on him. This thought made him giggle. (Is this because he has already killed one of the Chosen?)

On pg 409 he says that he can now tell who is a darkfriend at a glance. (A Forsaken would be easy for Fain to see.)

If these points have already been ripped to pieces or Fain has already been ruled out by RJ, just let me know. :blush:

Has Fain been ruled out as Asmo's murder. He states in TSR after the Two Rivers folk fight off the Trollocs, that he is going to Tar Valon but Caemlyn first.

On pg 408 of LOC, he is in Caemlyn, wishing "he could feel Al'Thor's pain, surely he had caused him pain at least." (Perhaps killing off his Forsaken teacher?)

He says he would be dead the moment one of the Chosen laid hands on him. This thought made him giggle. (Is this because he has already killed one of the Chosen?)

On pg 409 he says that he can now tell who is a darkfriend at a glance. (A Forsaken would be easy for Fain to see.)

If these points have already been ripped to pieces or Fain has already been ruled out by RJ, just let me know. :blush:

Unfortunately, Fain is one of the two people RJ has ruled out. Along with Rand, RJ has said Fain did not do it. He said he would have done it, but he was not in Caemyln.

Also, for the record, Taim is not Demandred and Olver is not Gaidal Cain

Has Fain been ruled out as Asmo's murder. He states in TSR after the Two Rivers folk fight off the Trollocs, that he is going to Tar Valon but Caemlyn first.

Unfortunately, Fain is one of the two people RJ has ruled out. Along with Rand, RJ has said Fain did not do it. He said he would have done it, but he was not in Caemyln.

Also, for the record, Taim is not Demandred and Olver is not Gaidal Cain

Damn! (On the Fain part) He would have worked great with the "3" theory of Fain/Dark One's Hound/Mordeth. Oh well! Thanks for the reply!

If you can find the tapes that Isabel posted from one of the last Jordan Q&As and listen carefully, you'll hear Jordan actually eliminate Egwene, as well. He would have gone further and eliminated even more people, but the woman asking the question was all wound up with her list of people she was hoping to get Jordan to pick from and she trampled all over what Jordan was saying just after he mentioned Egwene.

Moral of story: when asking questions of the author, once he begins speaking, shut up and let him answer.

If you can find the tapes that Isabel posted from one of the last Jordan Q&As and listen carefully, you'll hear Jordan actually eliminate Egwene, as well. He would have gone further and eliminated even more people, but the woman asking the question was all wound up with her list of people she was hoping to get Jordan to pick from and she trampled all over what Jordan was saying just after he mentioned Egwene.

Moral of story: when asking questions of the author, once he begins speaking, shut up and let him answer.

Ah true. I did read that somewhere, but didnt include her, as it is somewhat dubious, even though Egwene obviously didnt do it. Here at DM you have to have 5 quotes that state the sky is blue before it is vaild, so yeah haha.

Has Fain been ruled out as Asmo's murderer. He states in TSR after the Two Rivers folk fight off the Trollocs, that he is going to Tar Valon but Caemlyn first.

He went to Caemlyn to spread news of the 'rebellion' in the Two Rivers, thinking to bring down the wrath of Morgase on them.

edited to fix typo, lest Luckers come up with a new theory that Terez=Fain

He went to Caemlyn to spread news of the 'rebellion' in the Two Rivers, thinking to bring down the wrath of Morgase on them.

edited to fix typo, lest Luckers come up with a new theory that Terez=Fain

By page 408 of Lord of Chaos we are better than a month beyond when Asmodean was killed.

As others have mentioned, Jordan also explicitly ruled Fain out. According to Jordan, while Fain would have been more than happy to kill Asmo, he wasn't anywhere near Caemlyn at the time Asmo died.

Archived