DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Let the Betting Begin!!!

DocBean

Your sanity isn't completely in question...

RJ used descriptions that included some form of 'gray' and 'temples' together 18 times in the first 11 books, but never 'wings of gray'. 'white' was used 19 times.

-also no wings of gray in TGS, though Sanderson used some descriptions of people's temples seven times. I guess it's slightly above average, but certainly nothing like the tempests or caverns of ices, etc.

Your sanity isn't completely in question...

RJ used descriptions that included some form of 'gray' and 'temples' together 18 times in the first 11 books, but never 'wings of gray'. 'white' was used 19 times.

-also no wings of gray in TGS, though Sanderson used some descriptions of people's temples seven times. I guess it's slightly above average, but certainly nothing like the tempests or caverns of ices, etc.

As stated in forementioned posts...i said "something" like. At least that was the intention. But thank you very much for my credibility back. Or partially. I actually was getting quite irritated with the ammount of descriptions with "white" or "gray" at or around "temples". I have expected someone to have hair like a skunk...at that may have been ok. But agreed... Tempest was used much more...especially considering it was in fewer books.

Now my question is, was that a RJ notes thing? Or a BS ...hehe BS... moving on... a Brandon Sanderson thing?

• 3 months later...

Can someone tally the "tempests" we saw in Towers of Midnight?

I just finished it, there were a lot.

I want to know if I won the bet.

Doc, I am your man! Thanks to my KINDLE'S Super NEAT and ultra, electronically-advanced SEARCH Feature, I can confirm that ''Tempest'' is used...*Drum Roll*...Waiiiiiit For It:

20 TIMES!!!

And I'm going to do you a REAL favor and tell you WHERE they are in the book - but its going to have to be later for all 20, lol. A few quick examples for now though....Fain uses it in the prologue...Naef in chapter 15...Faile in chapter 16...Perrin in chapter 21...and on it goes, lol.

- Fish

P.S. - The NEW one that Brandon decided to really enjoy in TOM was ''Son'' ..... EVERYONE seemed to be adressing EVERYONE else as ''Son'' and - in all seriousness - it HUGELY took me out of the story...almost as much as ''Bloody Ashes'' did in TGS, which, oddly, has actually started to SLIGHTLY grown on me, lol.

Doc, I am your man! Thanks to my KINDLE'S Super NEATO and ultra, electronically-advanced SEARCH Feature, I can confirm that ''Tempest'' is used...*Drum Roll*...Waiiiiiit For It:

20 TIMES!!!

And I'm going to do you a REAL favor and tell you WHERE they are in the book - but its going to have to be later for all 20, lol. A few quick examples for now though....Fain uses it in the prologue...Naef in chapter 15...Faile in chapter 16...Perrin in chapter 21...and on it goes, lol.

- Fish

P.S. - The NEW one that Brandon decided to really enjoy in TOM was ''Son'' ..... EVERYONE seemed to be adressing EVERYONE else as ''Son'' and - in all seriousness - it HUGELY tool me out of the story...almost as much as ''Bloody Ashes'' did in TGS, which, oddly, has actually started to SLIGHTLY grow on me, lol.

Hmmm. I would have bet more then that after reading it.

But hey, I wasn't that far off with my original bet.

Doc, I am your man! Thanks to my KINDLE'S Super NEAT and ultra, electronically-advanced SEARCH Feature, I can confirm that ''Tempest'' is used...*Drum Roll*...Waiiiiiit For It:

20 TIMES!!!

- Fish

I seem to remember about a quarter of those being in the same POV... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Pick many nits people?

Some here, maybe even alot, just find these often used or over used phrases amusing. While some tend to be genuinely annoyed. If you fall into the later group I hope you never do any published writing or public speeking.

I find it amusing how RJ found the need to describe almost every woman's cleavage or a man's calves (to a lesser extent).

I really hope I'm reading something into some of these post and people aren't genuinely annoyed at the over usage of phrases. You try writing over 3 million words worth of text and not over use a phrase.

BS has written about 650,000 of those words. So if he used tempest 39 times in tGS and ToM combine he "over used" this word .006% of the time.

Sorry to be a buzz kill. Please deal free to going back to nit picking.

Just speaking for myself, I was trying to defend Sanderson. And if I've read up to Book 12 then obviously I can't too unhappy with RJ. Anyway for me it's mostly amusing rather than annoying, though you would think there would be some other kind of lamp at some point. The bosom thing is certainly amusing, though sometimes it feels like I'm laughing at RJ rather than with him. I keep picturing somebody doing the audio book, reading the sentence with the bosom in it, and then happily declaring "boobies!" before reading the next sentence.

But on a very amateur level I have sometimes tried to write. I know the issue.

Archived