DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Let the Betting Begin!!!

DocBean

To my knowledge Robert Jordan never used the word Tempest.

Brandon Sanderson used it A LOT in TGS.

So let's make some predictions.

How many times will we see that word, (or a variation on that word) in ToM???

There is no prize for who gets it right, just bragging rights.

I think we've already seen the word once in the Prologue, or spoiler chapters.

Here's my guess:

16 times that word will be used.

What's your guess.

My guess: 3 times. Why? This topic has been discussed since tGS was released. I think Team Jordan has tried to avoid that particular word. Plus: can the weather really be as bad in ToM as it was in tGS? :)

Off topic: that very word, tempest, has been a source of amusement in the darker parts of the Swedish metal community since the 80's, when Joakim Larsson, the singer of the rather famous - or infamous - hair metal combo Europe, changed his name to Joey Tempest because he thought it was cool and sounded more "international". It wasn't and it didn't - shame on you, Mr Larsson! You had a couple of big hits in the US in spite of that hideous alias! :-D

I didn't even notice the overusage of the word "tempest." What caught me was the "fors" and "shalls". I SHALL do such and such, FOR she has blahblahblah... *shudders* From the very little I've read of ToM, Brandon took our collective criticism to heart and polished the language up a bit...I'll go with 2 "tempests."

Actually RJ used tempest four times in eleven books. Sanderson increased the usage of the word by approximately 5,200% in TGS

As per my own count of the usage of the word “tempest” and any variations of it, I can see it occur seven times in the first eleven books.

TFoH, Chapter 1, Fanning the Sparks

Weeks of utter failure, and now this, yet any mention of heading for Tear, which was sensible, set off a
tempest
that quailed even Logain.

LoC, Chapter 49, The Mirror of Mists

Anger welled up in Rand, a
tempest
that made him shake.

TPoD, Chapter 15, Stronger Than Written Law

A few days later, the soft rains became downpours, and then howling
tempests

TPoD, Chapter 15, Stronger Than Written Law

The temperature slid downward, plummeted, and
tempests
became blizzards.

TPoD, Chapter 21, Answering the Summons

The great winter
tempests
called the cemaros continued to roll up out of the Sea of Storms, harsher than any in memory.

TPoD, Chapter 29, A Cup of Sleep

Images and auras; a
tempestuous
love affair, of all things!

WH, Chapter 13, Wonderful News

Tempestuous
reasons, idiotic reasons, yet she could have accepted them, if not for the others.

As for my own prediction of the number of times “tempest” might be used in ToM, I will have to second Hael Me and say rather few, e.g. six times.

At soccerscott:

For books one to eleven I find a whopping total of zero times of “wings of grey at their temples”. (Also, I do not find anything for “wings of gray at their temples”.) Was this some sort of trick statement, or were you just paraphrasing?

yea... I was just recalling how many characters are described like that. I don't currently (nor did I last night) have a book at my side. Only have internet in the office here in the desert/mountains. Has no one else noticed characters being described with grey hair at the temples? Maybe it was just me...

Archived