DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discuss the Prologue

Luckers

First off- Love the tag Impressive Bosom. Has a ring to it, a certain sound if you will :rolleyes:

Fain- well, it was a long time coming. I am not getting into the whole chicken and egg argument over Mordeth with Mashadar or Mashadar came later as a result of the evil or whatever- fact of the matter is, Mashadar is now linked to Fain, a part of him, and is a deadly weapon as there ever was. Originally I thought Fain + dagger= really lame bad guy if someone drops a big rock on his head and ends it all, or even if somebody say... learned how to use a spear or a pole arm type deal so the dagger could not get into range. Fain=dead. Now we have this cloud/fog which is like the mother of all extended range weapons until Mat figures out the Dragon Egg angle. Any way you slice it, Fain has moved up on the badass creep-o-meter to just under Moridin and SH

Woof™.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as a secondary thought on a slightly different topic, Grandal's "safe place"? Somewhere in Seanchan by the sound of it still being morning whilst it was late afternoon in Arad Doman? Or even on the East coast of Shara?

My vote is for Rhuidean, which will dovetail nicely with Aviendha's arrival.

It would have to be somewhere to the west of Arad Doman; I'm pretty sure that it would be night in both Rhuidean and Shara at the time. Seanchan's the only place that fits. Or perhaps an island somewhere in the Aryth Ocean.

Haha, I think we're all fooling ourselves. The Galad scene felt like it was the most RJ of any of the prologue to me.

To each his own. I really gotta stop caring about who wrote what... I mean, I don't care, so why do I keep bringing it up? both are awesome.

I don't care who wrote what either, really. My personal opinion is that Brandon wrote Galad's speech and RJ wrote Egwene's. Egwene's speech was far more arrogant, hypocritical, and self-righteous, and since she has spent the entire series being ridiculously arrogant, self-righteous, and hypocritical, it just seemed to fit with everything else she has ever said or done. Galad's was more to the point and less rambling. Yes, it was self-important, but it was done in a subtler manner, in my opinion. He was, in essence, "doing what was right" by motivating his men and getting their spirits up.

Egwene's speech, on the other hand, was extremely heavy handed, annoying as hell, and the only purpose it served was for her to act like her crap doesn't stink while blessing out the rest of the Aes Sedai for being 'bad wittle girls' who had better obey her completely and do exactly what she says from now on since she thinks she's the only one who was not at fault for the very mess she had a huge hand in making. To put it succinctly - Galad's speech was for his men's benefit whereas Egwene's was more power grabbing and self-serving. It's only the fact that Galad's speech was shorter and more subtle that makes me believe Brandon wrote it. RJ always liked having Egwene putting other people down while she sat on her mile high horse named Hypocrite.

Personally, I liked Galad's POV. I was also pleased that he is concerned about the Aes Sedai controlling Rand. Now that he's not all wrapped up in his cuendillar act, Rand really needs to take care that he's not seen as an Aes Sedai lapdog/puppet. Allying with someone doesn't mean submitting to them. Galad gets that. Now he just needs to teach it to his good brother (he may as well forget Gawyn...that dipwad is a lost cause).

Wow, and i though I didn't like Egwene. Sometime I should PM you my Moiraine rant. Elayne, Egwene and Moiraine all bug me to no end.

On the evidence of Avi and Rand's romp in the Far Snows, the sun rises in the East.

If so, she's West of Natrin's Barrow. Say it's a 5 hr time difference (morning =11am/ early evening = 4pm)

Then she's 75 degrees West of NB

Imfaral is North of NB I think but the t-d may be right.

On the evidence of Avi and Rand's romp in the Far Snows, the sun rises in the East.

If so, she's West of Natrin's Barrow. Say it's a 5 hr time difference (morning =11am/ early evening = 4pm)

Then she's 75 degrees West of NB

Imfaral is North of NB I think but the t-d may be right.

A five-to-seven hour time difference would be consistent with that we have with the Atlantic ocean separating North America from Europe. It's 5:15 p.m. in New York right now and 11:15 p.m. in Germany, I think.

Wow, and i though I didn't like Egwene. Sometime I should PM you my Moiraine rant. Elayne, Egwene and Moiraine all bug me to no end.

Please do. I loathe all three of them. I halfway tolerated Moiraine for about two seconds before she "died", but even then (after Rand put her in her place), she was trying to control him (and treated Lan like crap). And don't even get me started on Elayne - I wish she'd have her babies and drop dead during childbirth. Wench. The only females worth anything in WoT are Nynaeve, Berelain, Faile (yeah, I like her most of the time), Birgitte (though the way she turned into Elayne's lapdog sickened me), and, only due to what she did in Mat's chapter in the new book, Teslyn. Pevara might be okay...it depends on how she treats the Asha'man (not Taim's).

I really like the quote from Loial's book at the beginning, I've been waiting for one of those for a while actually, since we've seen plenty of quotes from the 4th age. But does that little teaser about the Stump speech mean we won't get to see any of that in the book? That would be a bummer, I want to hear/read his speech.

Hi everyone. Just finished reading the prologue, like most of you, I suppose. Unlike the rest of the posts I have read here, however, I'm posting to say...I REALLY DON'T LIKE WHAT BRANDON IS DOING TO THE WHEEL OF TIME!!!! The style isn't there, the characters have become thinner and more one-dimensional than they ever were, and I find myself hard-pressed to identify anything even remotely Jordan-esque in his writing. I can't see Mr Jordan being satisfied with this work; it just isn't up to such lofty standards. Add to this the many glaring holes in the story, or things that Brandon just got plain wrong, and it isn't a pretty picture for me.

Not that I predicted Graendal's escape at Natrin's Barrow; it's just hard to see why anyone would bother to save such an uninteresting character in the first place. It just feels wrong to me, Graendal being alive after that. The explanation is thin, at best, and in any event, the True Power "caress" Graendal applies to Aran'gar's face could just have easily been Graendal inverting the weaves and/or masking her ability to channel--in the Rand POV in Knife of Dreams, page 586 of the hardcover edition (A Plain Wooden Box chapter)this is borne out...

"Rand stilled a grimace before it could begin. His skin felt no tingling, no goose bumps. They had masked their ability, and with it, shielded him from sensing the Power in them."

And it was also written that only Morindin could use the True Power, among the Chosen, anyways, since he was annointed Naeblis. Sure, maybe the Dark One changed his mind, but why should Morindin have any say in who can/cannot use the TP?

Also, and this goes back to The Gathering Storm, where oh where is Graendal's streith gown, the one Aran'gar was so jealous of? Graendal herself was supremely happy with her streith, yet she hasn't worn it since Brandon took over the series. It wasn't destroyed when Rand cleansed Saidin--Graendal certainly has worn it since, but not since TGS.

As for the very beginning, the "quote" from Loial's book, The Dragon Reborn, he writes that he was first forbidden to address the Stump, by his mother. This, despite the rather clear evidence to the contrary in Knife of Dreams--chapter="Vows" where it is in fact Erith, and not Loial's mom who points out that...

"'Any married man may address the Stump,' Erith said firmly." This was in response to Corvil saying, "'I won't have him embarassed, Erith,' his mother said before he could open his mouth. ...'Besides, he's only a boy.'" Another rather important thing Brandon forgot, or din't bother to get by his test readers.

I read the sample chapter on Brandon's website as well, though I read it before the Prologue, and was unimpressed there as well. Mat has been my favorite character--after Rand, of course--but I really hate the way Brandon writes him. Scratch that. I hate what he has done to what was the preeminent fantasy series of all-time, period. Too many things are like this, just wrong, just don't make sense, just too damn thin. While it is certainly good to see the pace pick up, to see that the useless seafolk and equally useless side characters with little to no bearing on the storyline are getting scant pages, it's depressing as hell to read these books and know that, unlike books 1-11, I won't be reading 12-14 10+ times, or even twice. There is just no read-over value to me with Brandon writing.

Hi everyone. Just finished reading the prologue, like most of you, I suppose. Unlike the rest of the posts I have read here, however, I'm posting to say...I REALLY DON'T LIKE WHAT BRANDON IS DOING TO THE WHEEL OF TIME!!!! The style isn't there, the characters have become thinner and more one-dimensional than they ever were, and I find myself hard-pressed to identify anything even remotely Jordan-esque in his writing. I can't see Mr Jordan being satisfied with this work; it just isn't up to such lofty standards. Add to this the many glaring holes in the story, or things that Brandon just got plain wrong, and it isn't a pretty picture for me.

Not that I predicted Graendal's escape at Natrin's Barrow; it's just hard to see why anyone would bother to save such an uninteresting character in the first place. It just feels wrong to me, Graendal being alive after that. The explanation is thin, at best, and in any event, the True Power "caress" Graendal applies to Aran'gar's face could just have easily been Graendal inverting the weaves and/or masking her ability to channel--in the Rand POV in Knife of Dreams, page 586 of the hardcover edition (A Plain Wooden Box chapter)this is borne out...

"Rand stilled a grimace before it could begin. His skin felt no tingling, no goose bumps. They had masked their ability, and with it, shielded him from sensing the Power in them."

And it was also written that only Morindin could use the True Power, among the Chosen, anyways, since he was annointed Naeblis. Sure, maybe the Dark One changed his mind, but why should Morindin have any say in who can/cannot use the TP?

Also, and this goes back to The Gathering Storm, where oh where is Graendal's streith gown, the one Aran'gar was so jealous of? Graendal herself was supremely happy with her streith, yet she hasn't worn it since Brandon took over the series. It wasn't destroyed when Rand cleansed Saidin--Graendal certainly has worn it since, but not since TGS.

As for the very beginning, the "quote" from Loial's book, The Dragon Reborn, he writes that he was first forbidden to address the Stump, by his mother. This, despite the rather clear evidence to the contrary in Knife of Dreams--chapter="Vows" where it is in fact Erith, and not Loial's mom who points out that...

"'Any married man may address the Stump,' Erith said firmly." This was in response to Corvil saying, "'I won't have him embarassed, Erith,' his mother said before he could open his mouth. ...'Besides, he's only a boy.'" Another rather important thing Brandon forgot, or din't bother to get by his test readers.

I read the sample chapter on Brandon's website as well, though I read it before the Prologue, and was unimpressed there as well. Mat has been my favorite character--after Rand, of course--but I really hate the way Brandon writes him. Scratch that. I hate what he has done to what was the preeminent fantasy series of all-time, period. Too many things are like this, just wrong, just don't make sense, just too damn thin. While it is certainly good to see the pace pick up, to see that the useless seafolk and equally useless side characters with little to no bearing on the storyline are getting scant pages, it's depressing as hell to read these books and know that, unlike books 1-11, I won't be reading 12-14 10+ times, or even twice. There is just no read-over value to me with Brandon writing.

I respect your opinions, but I think you'll find that over 90% of the people on these forums disagree with you. Personally, I feel like Brandon isn't stupid, and Harriet and Team Jordan have been involved every step of the way with this project. Things are for sure following Jordan's notes, including some of the "inconsistencies" you mention. I"m sure RJ had all those things planned from the beginning (or in his outlines/notes).

Also, it is true Brandon's writing is different. For me, that is a breath of fresh air. I love RJ's writing, but it was getting burdensome toward the end, IMO. Anyway, I respect your opinions, but think you might get chewed out by a few of the fans on here soon. :biggrin:

Heh. As she's an uninteresting character, you seem strangely concerned about Graendal's wardrobe... :wink:

On a more serious note, everyone's entitled to their opinion but put the blame where it belongs. For a start, Brandon was working from RJ's own notes, plus Harriet has had considerable input throughout. So it's hardly fair to blame Brandon for everything!

having full knowledge of the rebuke that you have already recieved, i am adding mine to it... you do no have even a tenth of the information on the world of the wheel of time that brandon has... harriet, and team jordan are doing their best to stay one hundred percent true to robert jordans timeline, and what he stated needed to happen. until yo can come out with a series as in depth with side plots that arent, and build a world so intensely deep as robert jordan has, or until you take on someone elses project of similar magnitude please stop ridiculing and demeaning the only author to even be considered to complete this great work, brandon was one of few the sir oliver had in mind as a handpicked person to pick up the story line, and for you to demean him means you demean the man behind it all!!!

So, just looking at a globe, it COULD conceivably be the very far Eastern tip of Shara, presuming that Arad Doman is the equivalent of western Spain/Portugal and Shara is Eastern Asia (Japan/Korea/China). But! The WOT globe would probably have to be a bit smaller and all the continents a bit closer together for this to be likely, and by "morning" it would have had to have been near to dawn.

From my memory of my WOT Companion, the geography of the WOT World roughly equates to that described above, ie Randland = Europe, the Waste = the Middle East and Central Asia, Shara = Eastern Asia and Seanchan = The Americas.

So Eastern Seanchan is the most likely answer I would say.

I enjoy Brandon's writing, I think outside of Mat in TGS he's been great. Besides, who else could have done better? G.R.R Martin (Who I have to admit, I haven't read) would probably, judging from what I've read here, have been the most popular, but he's stuck on his own series. Terry Goodkind? Well, he has basically wrote a Wheel of Time book (or 10) but... I don't think anyone would want that, unless you want Egewne to get even preachier. Besides, he's not a fantasy writer! Terry Brooks? I like alot, but his writing style, especially in his newer books, is like the oppisite of RJ's (IE, minimal details) and plus, he's known for leaving a lot of stuff up to the readers imaginations, that could hurt a lot if he left a majority of plotlines unresolved. The guy who wrote Eragon? No one would want that. Tam Al'Thor would end up turning to the dark one and become Darth Tam! So... yeah, i think they picked okay! Although I can't lie, seeing Terry Brooks do it would, interest me, a lot, because I am a fan of his, but... not sure how it would go. So Brandon seems to have fit in well.

comic-book-guy.gif

The series certainly would have been better if Robert Jordan finished writing the books. Other authors could have finished it too but each one would probably miss the mark by a little. I'd write the last book(s) for myself if no one else did and it would be a lot worse than Brandons. I feel like we don’t get as much description with Brandon but other than that he has done a wonderful job. Could be a lot worse that’s for sure

Im sure no one would want...

Rand rode his horse through the gateway that led into the field before Shayol Ghul. The Dark Ones prison lay open before him. Before he could embrace sadin the Dark One killed him. Nynaeve waits three days and goes into the world of dreams where Rand is bound to the horn and remembering what Mog did to Brigitte, she 'rips away' Rand from the dream. Moraine bonds him to save him from whatever was gonna happen to Brigitte if Elyane didn’t bond her and they travel again to Shayol Ghul. This time Rand takes the back door and seals the prison and all is well.

p.s Perrin and Galad became pillow friends, and all is well with the night lol

"How long do you fight?"

"Until my last breath joins the northern winds."

I think Graendal's survival was one of the things RJ had already planned. The ending of each of the forsaken was part of his notes. They are too important to have been overlooked. The way she did survive was probably all Brandon, but Rand destroying that palace of hers with balefire and the fact that she survived was most likely RJ's decision.

You forget the effect the TP has. Not only do those spots of blackness appear within the users eyes, but you can also feel the DO's presence to some extend. In TGS the good guys didn't make the connection, but someone like Aran'gar would know instantly.

Really, you are bitching about the lack of a certain piece of clothing? It's completely unimportant. Next you'll make a post on how you are missing RJ's lengthy descriptions of clothing or that Elayne's bathtime is too short.

Um... I'm confused. Why does everybody think that Fain's ability with fog/mist/Mashadar is new? Didn't he use this way back in aCoS? (Answer: Yes, yes he did).

I'm with you, Jem - Fains been exhibiting unique and weird abilities since TSR.

Yeah, it has always bugged me about Fain. What is so special about him that has Myrddraal quaking in their boots. He had a Myr pegged out at one point. And that cloud thing when Rand was putzing around with Darlin, was that Fain? In hindsight, I am not so sure about the bubble of evil. Bottom line, it is not that Fain is so unbelievable as this greater power, it is remembering that he embodies Mordeth and all that took down Aridhol. I mean, after all, Machin Shin ran from the guy. That had to be a sign right?

And what was that about Perrin and Galad? Was I reading the wrong prophecy?

Woof™.

I was totally creeped out when reading the Fain POV. He is so clearly insane.. Maybe a better word would be sociopath. That is chilling in and of itself, but then to add conscious direction of Mashsdar? He has definately upped his power level.

Aren't you Morvrin in disguise?

- OFF topic -

Not to be picky, but I thought you were supposed to quote only when and what is absolutely needed or with a good reason? Why do I have to read Nigel's FULL post like FOUR times on the same page, two of those with like 2-3 lines of content added?

- ON topic

The series certainly would have been better if Robert Jordan finished writing the books.

I think it might have been worse, actually. For one thing, I'm pretty sure it would have taken him much longer to finish. For all he's been saying, this series was very far from the end when he left us. Sanderson has a more direct style with faster pace, less description. We're getting a shorter version for sure. If it takes HIM three books to finish, how long would it take with Jordan's style? Six? Yea I understand he might have decided to do it faster, but it would have made the ending feel forced, unfinished and abrupt.

Hmm, some of what you point out are innacuracies that Jordan wasn't immune to either. You probably could write to Sanderson and point them out before he puts the book out. They have had to make replacements before, like "Larisa Ayelin" instead of "Neesa Ayelin". Also, it's my understanding (though I may be wrong), that Sanderson is mostly going by Jordan's notes, though there may certainly be chapters that he is wingin' it on). As for the characters, maybe it's that I listen to the audiobooks (on account of poor central vision - I need assistive software to read your post and reply to it), but they don't seem as flat to me as they do to you. Mat still has a real personality to me. He gives the long joke about women, which made me crack up big time, and he's still a lot like Raphael of the Ninja Turtles with his sarcasm.

Though I still think Jordan would've done these books better, I don't quite find Sanderson to be ruining it, and there were some parts of Jordan's writing that weren't perfect, like the overdone character development in the Fires of Heaven. Yes, Sanderson is getting some details wrong and overlooking some things, but I disagree with you about him butchering the series.

I apologize if anyone brought this up already. Is there a valid reason that Graendal uses the term "Dark One" a few times in her scene? Is she quoting something, using it in mockery like Rand mocks the word "Chosen" after owning Rahvin? Or, did Sanderson write those few paragraphs at 3am and make a dumb mistake. I notice that she uses the term Dark One in any sentence involving the Creator or rats and ravens. It honestly feels wrong when the words "Dark One" are used in her scene.

Archived