DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What did Moiraine ask for?

talligan

As we all know now, Moiraine lived after falling through the gateway and Lanfear did not. This implies a few things:

1) They were both given their '3 wishes'

2) Moiraine, knowing her future, bargained wisely and lived

3) Lanfear did not

My guess is that Moiraine's price for her wishes was to be kept captive (and alive) while Lanfear most likely asked to "get me out here" so they set her outside and killed her. But the price that they both paid then implies that they were granted 3 wishes. So what did they wish for? What did they get?

Looking at the two characters for a moment, we see that they are pretty close to complete opposites in certain ways:

- Lanfear now hates Rand and wants to kill him. Moiraine will do anything necessary to see the Rand win the last battle; she has dedicated her life to that.

- Moiraine has been growing stronger throughout the series while Lanfear grew weaker

- Lanfear was freed then made captive, Moiraine was kept captive and will soon be freed.

The most important point, imo, is the first one (obviously). I don't know what Lanfear's three wishes were (though I still think she killed Asmodean), tbh I don't really care about her, I want to know what Moiraine asked for.

Did she ask for a way for stilling to be healed and thus allowed Logain, Siuan, Leane and herself to be healed?

Did she ask for travelling to be rediscovered?

- though it would be pretty funny if she was finally released and was all "Hey guys! I figured out how to travel from the fin.... :("

A way to heal Rand? Help him fight TG?

What are your thoughts on this matter?

Considering what happened at the docks, Moiraine bringing one of the forsaken into the finns home, and destroying one of the doors while doing it, I find it extremely unlikely that Moiraine got to make any "wishes".

Well when you put it that way ...  ;D

They would still get all of their memories though and that might make it worthwhile for them to 'trade'.

Considering the improvised interview Tamirlyn had with Brandon last year and what Brandon said about the 'Finns, I don't think they're capable of influencing the metaphysics of the Pattern. Hence, I don't believe they could have been responsible for Nyneave Healing severing and Rand and Egwene rediscovering Traveling.

Well if that is true (about the metaphysics of the Pattern, and their lack of influence over such things), do you suppose that idea was meant in terms of human experience and what we can directly experience?  For example something as simple hearing different frequencies of sound, or seeing spectrums of light.  We can rig up a way to verify such things but until some pretty clever people came along no one had a clue.

Lol @ Majsju - it's funny to think of the Finns in those terms, it's like "How rude!" heehee the women probably walked muck onto the carpets too! hahaha.

How about if Moiraine asked for Lanfear to be killed as one of her wishes? We don't really know if they can/will/must grant every wish.

It wouldn't really be very surprising for her to ask - at that point, Lanfear is prob the greatest threat to Rand that Mo knows of, she can't kill her herself, and she's mercenary enough to think of it.

I really dont think it is a case of.

"You walk through the door and appear to have magically gained three wishes"

The Finns talk about the Bargin, suggesting that it isnt a complusory thing to grant wishes, but a mutual agreement of some kind. Im highly doubting that just because they both entered the Doorway, they get wishes.

and one big hole in that theory, Moiraine obviously knows some about the bargain, she would just have to wish "to be released alive" and (in theory) itd be all sweet.

I agree with Majsju here, I dont think the Finns would be in any mood to grant them wishes.

It would go something like this.

Moiraine and Lanfear tumble into the finn realm like two wet cats in a sack.

*Finn clears throat*

Moiraine: Oh...uh, hey guys? hows it going?

Finn: You broke the doorway...

Moiraine: uhhhh.... she did it! *points at Lanfear*

Lanfear: Curse you! *finns do some finn-y stuff and ends with a dead Lanfear. (Note: Curse you might not be exactly how it went down. However, the Finns strictly adhere to PG ratings.

*Long silence*

Moiraine: Soooooooooo....do I get my wishes now?

Finn: *arches eyebrow* Are you kidding me? How are we supposed to sniff around in peoples heads now theres no way in?

Moiraine: Well...I told some guys that I would be in here, they are comming to rescue me, If you kept me alive, you could do whatever you do to them?

Finn: Mmmmm, meh, might aswell. Heyy, do you want to play "ramble some nonsensical stuff to make it appear like its some kinda prophecy just to steal memories from people."

Moiraine: hey, aint that what the other Finns do?

Finn: Yeah, damn snake bastards. I hate those guys  >:(

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Indeed. It's a trade agreement, nothing more.

You're right, it is a trade agreement - but that, I think, only further backs up my thought that Moiraine is going to get something from them. She delivered one of the most powerful forsaken to the finns with all of her memories not to mention Moiraine's own.

Doorway melting aside, if Moiraine and Lanfear deliver on their end of the bargain then I think the Finns will deliver something as well.

Okay, will you guys allow me to take this discussion in the direction of the Aelfinn, rather than the Eelfinn?

Can anyone think of something weird Moiraine did after her audience with the Aelfinn? Something that's hard to explain, unless you consider that she might have been acting on their instructions (like Rand opting for negotiations with the Seanchan when time is running short)? Or could someone think of what her greatest needs were at the time, to estimate what she might have asked?

Remember, she said that questions touching the Shadow can have dire consequences, but she did NOT say she didn't ask one.

Okay, will you guys allow me to take this discussion in the direction of the Aelfinn, rather than the Eelfinn?

Can anyone think of something weird Moiraine did after her audience with the Aelfinn? Something that's hard to explain, unless you consider that she might have been acting on their instructions (like Rand opting for negotiations with the Seanchan when time is running short)? Or could someone think of what her greatest needs were at the time, to estimate what she might have asked?

Remember, she said that questions touching the Shadow can have dire consequences, but she did NOT say she didn't ask one.

She bathed, that's all I really remember

I've always thought that one of her questions gave an answer involving who Asmo was posing as. She seemed to know straight off the bat who Asmodean was, in my opinion, and I can't see any way for her to have found out other than the doorway.

I know exactly what she asked... ready?

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck would chuck wood.

I know, I know I'm a genius, right? ;D

Only thing is, what was their answer? What do you guys think?

She used her magical stone to listen to Rand and Asmo talking.

You misunderstand, I meant from the minute the wagon joined theirs - before even Rand knew which of them were just DF's and which were Forsaken.

But perhaps I just read more into her reactions with hindsight....

Hysterical.

I meant from the minute the wagon joined theirs

Could you give an example? I don't remember thinking so. I think it was rather obvious that Nathel wasn't who he was supposed to be after they came back from Rhuidean, and I figured that's when she deduced what he was (if not which one he was).

Archived