DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What did Moiraine ask for?

talligan

We do know Moiraine had some prior knowledge of Finnland from her conversation in Tear.

Three places where Moiraine could have learnt stuff that was useful and helped her survive in Foxland.

1) Some mss she read with the twins in Arafel

2) Something from the Snakes in Tear

3) At Rhuidean

She may just have learnt a magic passowrd ("I surrender?") that kept her alive.

I remember once she said to Nynaeve that she knew who she would marry. Well, since she had her little 'accident', I bet nobody thinks anything of that now, especially since Min thinks she has finally had a wrong viewing. Boy is she going to be shocked!

Since reading The Gathering Storm I actually see Moiraine hooking up with Tam. Why? They both love Rand in different ways and want him to do well in his tragic quest. They are the only two people that I can think of that have influenced him in any major way (of if at all?)

I remember once she said to Nynaeve that she knew who she would marry. Well, since she had her little 'accident', I bet nobody thinks anything of that now, especially since Min thinks she has finally had a wrong viewing. Boy is she going to be shocked!

Since reading The Gathering Storm I actually see Moiraine hooking up with Tam. Why? They both love Rand in different ways and want him to do well in his tragic quest. They are the only two people that I can think of that have influenced him in any major way (of if at all?)

To be fair Min/Aviendha/Elayne all love Rand in a different way then Moiraine and Tam but i dont see any of them hooking up O_O

I've always thought that one of her questions gave an answer involving who Asmo was posing as. She seemed to know straight off the bat who Asmodean was, in my opinion, and I can't see any way for her to have found out other than the doorway.

There was a chapter in tFoH where Rand and Asmodean were talking about stuff, and then we see Egwene enter as Moiraine is eavesdropping on them. I think that's how she learned of it.

I was re-listening to tGH and came to part where Lan says Moiraine is gone and that sometimes she has to be alone.  Just at this time we happen to have the DF social at SG.  After Verin, I question everything, so could Moiraine be BA.  I mean Verin BA not regular Black Ajah.  or do you think Lan was lying and this was part of her strategy to make rand think she could care less what he did?

To be fair Min/Aviendha/Elayne all love Rand in a different way then Moiraine and Tam but i dont see any of them hooking up O_O

Yeah but they're a bit weirdly obsessed with Rand in a 'give me babies, we can push you around, you're a wool head' kind of way, whereas Tam is his father and Moiraine was his...guide? Not his mother but almost the next person to care about him (even though the reason was quite contrived).

Anyway, it was just after reading TGS that I thought of Tam/Moiraine. Pure speculation and maybe a little part hope that Tam gets something out of his 20 year ordeal!

I was re-listening to tGH and came to part where Lan says Moiraine is gone and that sometimes she has to be alone.  Just at this time we happen to have the DF social at SG.  After Verin, I question everything, so could Moiraine be BA.  I mean Verin BA not regular Black Ajah.  or do you think Lan was lying and this was part of her strategy to make rand think she could care less what he did?

It is most likely the last. Unless something has changed as of her capture, she is 99% not BA.

1. Lan would not know, and if he did, he would proably kill her (remember, he wouldnt care about the Death Rage, he WANTS to die) he hates the Shadow.

2. From her PoV we have seen she is not BA (remember there were some iffy things Verin said and thought, not so with Moiraine)

3. Not sure if you have read NS, so I wont put any spoilers, but it pretty much confirms she is not BA. Actually, it DOES confirm it. (although, to be fair, it might have changed in 20 years, but i dont think so.)

4. She killed two of the Forsaken. Be'lal,she BF the crap out of knowing who he was (unlike Elza who didnt know about Dashiva/aginor) and I cant see why she would kill him for any reason as a DF. Then she sacrificed herself to off Lanfear. Now if somebody can tell me how that  as an act of a DF, ill eat my hat.

5. Just through her actions in the series, I know some DF have helped Rand out and suchlike but Moiraine was there from day one, she has done tooo much to mess up the DO that it just seems stupid to think she did all that as a DF. Remember, in the first few books the Shadow wanted Rand dead, only Ishamael was trying to convert him, and when he couldnt, he also tried killing him, so if Moiraine was a DF, she would have tried to kill him from the go get.

6. as for it being another Verin situation, I dont see it happening, once was good, it was a nice suprise and we all love verin for her bravery, but if LF spies in the BA just pop up all the time now, it loses its potency. I would be disappointed if Moiraine did a Verin. It would be terrible storytelling

Personally I think that was a Red Herring to make us think things were fishy with her; similar to how everyone was suspicious of Thom originally but not of Fain in the first book. There is little to no chance of Moiraine being BA. At least with Verin there were a few iffy things that at least gave us the hint of a possibility. Theres no such thing with Moiraine, and not only that, her POV contradicts it. Its not really RJ's style to just reveal a major darkfriend without at least giving us a few tantalising clues.

Actually that was purely a manipulation of Rand. Moiraine explains it.

"I have purposely let him think I no longer have any interest in him, that he may go where he pleases for all of me." She raised her hands as the Amyrlin opened her mouth. "It was necessary, Siuan. Rand al'Thor was raised in the Two Rivers, where Manetheren's stubborn blood flows in every vein, and his own blood is like rock beside clay compared to Manetheren's. He must be handled gently, or he will bolt in any direction but the one we want."

She was making him think she had other things to do, and no interet in Rand.

Actually that was purely a manipulation of Rand. Moiraine explains it.

"I have purposely let him think I no longer have any interest in him, that he may go where he pleases for all of me." She raised her hands as the Amyrlin opened her mouth. "It was necessary, Siuan. Rand al'Thor was raised in the Two Rivers, where Manetheren's stubborn blood flows in every vein, and his own blood is like rock beside clay compared to Manetheren's. He must be handled gently, or he will bolt in any direction but the one we want."

She was making him think she had other things to do, and no interet in Rand.

And then she goes ahead and completely ignores that in Tear  ;)

Archived