DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will access to the One Power survive the last battle?

Vermillion

From my understanding there was no one power during the age before the AoL(our age now/or the one before that one.  It seems like the TS/Dark One/Dragon theme runs for Two Ages. That's of course if Rand actually fully seals the DO.  I think we all take that as a certain, though it's never been stated anywhere.  Any way, that means the DO has a 3300 year run where he touches the world.  There is no need for the Dragon or the TS once the DO is locked up. 

I think the first age was our age right?  Tech/no magic. 

Then you have the Age of Legends with Tech/Magic and tech probably being stunted by magic to a degree. 

Then you have magic and low tech in Rands age.

It seems at this point technology is moving forward with the help of Rand and Mat which seemed to be stagnant or constantly regressing due to mass conflicts every so often. I guess the cause of the decline in the kingdoms and populations is due to Ishy and the DO's influence over the years.  But old things like Min and Perrin's powers are coming back.  Things not connected to the One Power and not seen for along time.  Looks like Rand land may be on the verge of a industrial like age.

It seems to me that a true first age would have to come after destruction of all human society knocking things back to the stone age.  The world couldn't have started with tech and society existing from a previous age. But now that's drifting off my own topic lol.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is likely that it will continue to be use and accessable in the 4th age.

“The lion sword, the dedicated spear, she who sees beyond. Three on the boat, and he who is dead yet lives. The great battle done, but the world not done with battle. The land divided by the return, and the guardians balance the servants. The future teeters on the edge of a blade.”

aes sedai and ashhaman would die out fast without the OP and this foretelling refers to after the last battle.

The One Power must have been around prior to the 2nd age. The Portal Stones apparently came from the age before the Age of legends, and since they require the OP to use some form of channeling must have been around. Of course, that could also be one of those details that is just plain wrong that is assumed to be right.

In any case, channeling will still be around, but Aes Sedai in particular could potentially lose alot of their influence due to Mats gunpowder inventions. Now for the first time since the Age of Legends Aes Sedai won't be the only ones with destructive firepower.

Possible scenario.

Callandor is the key to Sealing away the Dark One without compromising the True Source. Rand coaxes the Dark One to possess him by using the True Power in the Pit of Doom. Rand had given Callandor to Alivia, who is in control of a maxed out circle of 72 (or however many, with the maximum amout of Ashaman and female channeers). Rand plans to sheath the sword when the Dark One is on the verge of crushing his soul, turns out the hidden aspect of Callandor beyond the "flaw" is that you can deliver weaves with it (Mats medallion negates the weave?) thus meaning the weaves touch Randzamon but the Power itself doesnt-so Randzamon cant taint squat. The Last Battle is won, the world finally believes that the Taint is gone, Ashaman and Aes Sedai can grow without fear of the Dark One and commit themselves to mastering the Power together.

Mats ideas like the cannons and repeating crossbow spark mass production and with time develops into firearms.

Rands university survives and establishes the steam engine as a reliable form of transport. In ime there are train equivalents linking certain major cities, making trade much more convenint and safe, and eventually public transport seeps into everyday life.

Then the smartarses show up, the ones who dream up heavy artillery, ter'ngreal firearms, vehicles that can use flows of Air to fly. By now the Ashaman nd Aes Sedai are way advanced; the Third Age exposed many flaws in their judgement of te Power and that time is near forgotten. Oath Rods have been integrated into "police" interrogation, being severed from the Source is like a broken leg. Male channelers are viewed with awe by many Aes Sedai due to the enabling of greater circles.

Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, was te bane of mankind, for he summoned the Dark One into the world in thre Last Batte-the title having a "before" feel instead of "at the end." But Dragon al'Thor was slain by the legendary sword Callandor, which allowed the Guardians and Servants-led by the legendary Jahar Narishma and Alivia the Seanchan-to combine their strength to bind the Dragon and the Dark One in a Void in the Pattern.

Legend tells of the Creator appeared at Shayol Ghul, dressed in black for mourning. And just when Alivia delivered that fatal blow to al'Thor with Calandor, Narisma and the Creator locked eyes. Narishma was held in place, unable to look away. Some say something passed between them in that gaze, but the Creator did not speak; after an eternal moment he nodded his head, turned, and walked into the distance, and the voices of mankind rose into a song of sorrow for what had been lost, a song of joy for what had been preserved; a song that would in time be known simply as the Song.

Possible scenario.

Callandor is the key to Sealing away the Dark One without compromising the True Source. Rand coaxes the Dark One to possess him by using the True Power in the Pit of Doom. Rand had given Callandor to Alivia, who is in control of a maxed out circle of 72 (or however many, with the maximum amout of Ashaman and female channeers). Rand plans to sheath the sword when the Dark One is on the verge of crushing his soul, turns out the hidden aspect of Callandor beyond the "flaw" is that you can deliver weaves with it (Mats medallion negates the weave?) thus meaning the weaves touch Randzamon but the Power itself doesnt-so Randzamon cant taint squat. The Last Battle is won, the world finally believes that the Taint is gone, Ashaman and Aes Sedai can grow without fear of the Dark One and commit themselves to mastering the Power together.

Mats ideas like the cannons and repeating crossbow spark mass production and with time develops into firearms.

Rands university survives and establishes the steam engine as a reliable form of transport. In ime there are train equivalents linking certain major cities, making trade much more convenint and safe, and eventually public transport seeps into everyday life.

Then the smartarses show up, the ones who dream up heavy artillery, ter'ngreal firearms, vehicles that can use flows of Air to fly. By now the Ashaman nd Aes Sedai are way advanced; the Third Age exposed many flaws in their judgement of te Power and that time is near forgotten. Oath Rods have been integrated into "police" interrogation, being severed from the Source is like a broken leg. Male channelers are viewed with awe by many Aes Sedai due to the enabling of greater circles.

Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, was te bane of mankind, for he summoned the Dark One into the world in thre Last Batte-the title having a "before" feel instead of "at the end." But Dragon al'Thor was slain by the legendary sword Callandor, which allowed the Guardians and Servants-led by the legendary Jahar Narishma and Alivia the Seanchan-to combine their strength to bind the Dragon and the Dark One in a Void in the Pattern.

Legend tells of the Creator appeared at Shayol Ghul, dressed in black for mourning. And just when Alivia delivered that fatal blow to al'Thor with Calandor, Narisma and the Creator locked eyes. Narishma was held in place, unable to look away. Some say something passed between them in that gaze, but the Creator did not speak; after an eternal moment he nodded his head, turned, and walked into the distance, and the voices of mankind rose into a song of sorrow for what had been lost, a song of joy for what had been preserved; a song that would in time be known simply as the Song.

wonderfully creative but i dont think the 4th age will hate or revile the dragon

“And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the Prophecies, as he was in Ages past and will be in Ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.”

—from Charal Drianaan te Calamon,

The Cycle of the Dragon,

Author unknown, the Fourth Age

the power will survive, and there will be no new breaking, and the map will looks the same, shadowspawn will still exist and a WoT MMORPG will be made that is in the 4th age that will match my dreams (of course this is all speculatory and the last one is going to be called the unfulfilled prophecy since no game could live to my wants)

My understanding is that just the memory of the One Power is missing during the First Age.

Channeling having an genetic factor seems a indicator of this.

Thus Channeling/One-Power will always survive.

Aes Sedai belief seems to be that there will be a new Breaking during Tarmon Gaidon.  Their interpretation I would count as most accurate (since they are bound to the Oaths).

The only Shadowspawn that would still exist I guess would be unknown kinds since the Heroes (with other Light-sided forces) would eliminate the known ones.  Same with other forces of evil.

The one power will always be there, it is simply a matter of whether the wheel will spin out those who can access it. In our age, it did not, but in the 3rd age, it spins out quite a few. Its kinda like those who talk to wolves being but legend in the Age of Legends, and increasingly common in the books (which is to say still very Rare, but common enough for Perrin to meet at least 2 others)

The One Power must have been around prior to the 2nd age. The Portal Stones apparently came from the age before the Age of legends, and since they require the OP to use some form of channeling must have been around. Of course, that could also be one of those details that is just plain wrong that is assumed to be right.

In any case, channeling will still be around, but Aes Sedai in particular could potentially lose alot of their influence due to Mats gunpowder inventions. Now for the first time since the Age of Legends Aes Sedai won't be the only ones with destructive firepower.

The fact that the Portal Stones can be manipulated with the One Power does not mean that they require it or were even designed to be used with it.

Cars were not designed to be used with computers, but we can now replace the driver with one.

Cars were not designed to be used with computers, but we can now replace the driver with one.

To a certain extent. There is no known AI that drives a motor vehicle with anywhere near the proficiency of a human. That is probably about 20-30 years off minimum. The best AI drivers often have a very difficult time with obstacle courses and turning. They will often think they can't get around obstacles that they can, or will just run right into the obstacle and keep going like it isn't there. So yes, we could replace a driver with a computer, but at this point I wouldn't let the computer on the real roads.

Indeed, the Power itself wont be destroyed, it cant. in the BwB it is described as the "driving force" of the pattern, (since we are using cars, i will use it in an example, its like the fuel in a car, no fuel= no driving)

It is possible that humans will lose the ability to channel somehow, however, as stated earlier, Min's fortellings suggest otherwise, so i think we can rule that out.

As for previous ages not having the ablility to channel, is there an actual quote to support this? or is it just speculation and assumption?

Even if it isnt, the power was still there, just unable to be channeled, or unknown to humanity. The creator, at the moment of creation,  created the pattern, and the Power, the fuel to drive it. So it has been there, its not something new. 

Well it beats the driving abilities of old people and as an extra bonus you can just run computers over during a fit of road rage without having to murder.

Not really, I'd put my 5 year old cousin behind the wheel before one of those computers. Just strap long blocks to his shoes and give him a booster seat, he'll do fine compared to the current state-of-the-art AI. Old people just tend to have bad vision and poor reaction time. They are still much better drivers than any computer. Current AI have worse visual perception than stevie wonder or hellen keller. At least technology is emerging to correct blindness. AI are just stupid right now, and you can't fix stupid.

Not really, I'd put my 5 year old cousin behind the wheel before one of those computers. Just strap long blocks to his shoes and give him a booster seat,

Priceless!

For everything else, there's Mastercard.

The fact that the Portal Stones can be manipulated with the One Power does not mean that they require it or were even designed to be used with it.

That is true I suppose, but it does seem a bit of a coincedence that only channelers have been able to access Portal Stones, and powerful ones at that. Not to mention the colours of the ajahs are associated with them. But I guess its one of those things that we'll never truly know.

There is an interesting reference to 'standing flows' (of the OP) in CoT Ch21, which appears to indicate the presence of broadcast OP, which made it possible for even non-channellers to use t'as. This might have powered the Portal Stones also.

The information we have on Portal Stones indicates that they predate the Age of Legends.

I'd like to know more about those 'standing flows'. How powerful were they?

Wasn't there a mention of a slender metal spire, which it was said to be death to approach? Can't remember where I dsaw that, I'll try to find it.**

@algspkr: The 'standing flows' may have been set up at any time, but even if it was after the Portal Stones, it would still have made using them easier.

@Val Mickey: Here in the real world, some technologists have been wondering about satellites in orbit making electricity from solar power and beaming it down to ground stations..

**Got it. It was in tPoD Prologue.

From Idealseek:

Search Results

spire Search

Your Search: spire

Matches Found: 3

Entries: 3

The Path of Daggers

PROLOGUE

A slender spire like a column of gleaming golden lace lay slanting and partly buried in the bare hillside

and death at touching the spire

Nianh said the spire was a fragment from the Age of Legends

As for previous ages not having the ablility to channel, is there an actual quote to support this? or is it just speculation and assumption?

This:

Week 18 Question: Who were the first channelers, and how did they learn? By trial and error? Are there any Ages where channeling does not exist?

Robert Jordan Answers: The first people to discover the ability to channel learned through trial and error, with fairly high casualty rates until they learned enough not to kill themselves accidentally. Their appearance marked the beginning of the previous Age to that of the books, or at least the end of the Age before that one.

Yes, as I have set things up, there are Ages when no one has any idea of how to channel or even that the One Power exists. Our own, for one. (The Wheel of Time turns.)

http://13depository.blogspot.com/2009/03/tor-questions-of-week.html

Seeing as how the OP is being culled out because of fear of male channels and the taint, as well as the fact that AS don't have children, my idea is that the OP will not make it past the Last Battle as strong as it is.  Considering that the new age will be an age like we currently live in, I see the OP (in our reality) in those individuals who are 'tuned into a higher frequency' and can feel the 'energy' in everything around them.  While no one in our world can channel saidar, I believe there are those special few who can 'channel' energy and use focus objects like the crystals and such.

So no, I do not see the OP surviving the Last Battle as we know it.

Seeing as how the OP is being culled out because of fear of male channels and the taint, as well as the fact that AS don't have children, my idea is that the OP will not make it past the Last Battle as strong as it is.  Considering that the new age will be an age like we currently live in, I see the OP (in our reality) in those individuals who are 'tuned into a higher frequency' and can feel the 'energy' in everything around them.  While no one in our world can channel saidar, I believe there are those special few who can 'channel' energy and use focus objects like the crystals and such.

So no, I do not see the OP surviving the Last Battle as we know it.

so kinda like pre roman times with individual religions and religious officials who use pagan magicks? kinda

Archived