DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Personally, no, I don't think there's anything magical about the number 13. However, and this is a big however, these strength rankings are fan-made, and even then they only talk of 'levels'. There's absolutely nothing to suggest that the difference between levels 6-7 is the same as between 1-2 or 20-21. Also, Linking isn't a simple summation of strengths. You actually sacrifice strength when you Link, but gain greater focus (and some other benefits, such as larger Gateways, for whatever reason).

Heres a random question: is there something special about 13 AS? we always hear that "even the thirteen weakest AS could shield Rand", but could the weakest 12? or does there need to be 13?

If we take Rand's approximate strength of about 25 (calling Lanfear 21, Nynaeve 18, and Elayne/Egwene/Avi 15, there is a saidar strength index somewhere and i recall Rand being a few levels above the strongest woman), and we know that the weakest AS (Daigain?) is a 4, then theoretically shouldn't only 7 AS be able to overpower Rand? Or does it not work like that.

Another related question: if we took 1 full AS of moderate power (say an 8) and had her link with 12 people as weak as Morgase, say, then they would only total a 20. Would they still be able to shield Rand because they hit the magical 13?

Levels aside, if you take the "even the 13 weakest Aes Sedai could shield Rand" thing completely literally, women of Morgase's strength could never become Aes Sedai so I don't know if thirteen women of her power could shield rand. I doubt they'd be able to create a shield. Although, 12 women of her strength linked to a woman of middling strength in Rand's time would definitely make the shield stronger.

Edited by thisguy

Heres a random question: is there something special about 13 AS? we always hear that "even the thirteen weakest AS could shield Rand", but could the weakest 12? or does there need to be 13?

If we take Rand's approximate strength of about 25 (calling Lanfear 21, Nynaeve 18, and Elayne/Egwene/Avi 15, there is a saidar strength index somewhere and i recall Rand being a few levels above the strongest woman), and we know that the weakest AS (Daigain?) is a 4, then theoretically shouldn't only 7 AS be able to overpower Rand? Or does it not work like that.

Another related question: if we took 1 full AS of moderate power (say an 8) and had her link with 12 people as weak as Morgase, say, then they would only total a 20. Would they still be able to shield Rand because they hit the magical 13?

Levels aside, if you take the "even the 13 weakest Aes Sedai could shield Rand" thing completely literally, women of Morgase's strength could never become Aes Sedai so I don't know if thirteen women of her power could shield rand. I doubt they'd be able to create a shield. Although, 12 women of her strength linked to a woman of middling strength in Rand's time would definitely make the shield stronger.

Morgase is a poor example since she cannot even wield the power at will (she manages it once out of every 20 attempts if I recall correctly). My understanding is that 13 of the weakest channelers, who can actually hold the power, can shield a strong channeler.

I think that 12 should work fine as well. There is nothing really special about 13 it is just the maximum number of women who can link without adding a man to the mix. Most of the time six Aes Sedai can hold about about any man shielded. I think that it is just about numbers, no matter how weak an Aes Sedai is when you get enough of them together that get rather powerful.

I doubt Morgase would be able to link, after all she can only manage to touch the Source once for every 50 times she tries and even then it is extremely rare that she is able to do anything with it. If she was able to link however no I do not think a circle of extremely weak channelers would be able to shield Rand and if they managed to they would not be able to hold the shield if he decided to resist, I think it is no magical number 13 it is all about having more power than the other party.

This question however bring me to a question of my own. If a channeler as weak as Mogase managed to link with one much more powerful and that other channeler drew power to the max would she then risk burning out the weaker channeler or would the stronger member of the link act as a buffer to protect the weaker one?

Edited by Hagazussa

Does balefire destroy a person's soul so that it can never be reborn again?

No. RJ was clear on this point -- a BFed person can still be reborn.

This question however bring me to a question of my own. If a channeler as weak as Mogase managed to link with one much more powerful and that other channeler drew power to the max would she then risk burning out the weaker channeler or would the stronger member of the link act as a buffer to protect the weaker one?

A Circle is its own buffer -- you cannot make someone draw too deeply on the Source. In fact, you can't make them draw as deeply as they would otherwise be able to safely.

Lan felt Moiraine die when she entered the Rhuidean doorframe ter'angreal at the end of the battle at the docks. Why didn't he feel her die when she entered the Tear doorframe ter'angreal? Or did that happen off screen?

It's a really good question. He didn't with the first doorframe, why would he with the second one when she clearly didn't die???????

Edited by thisguy

Lan felt Moiraine die when she entered the Rhuidean doorframe ter'angreal at the end of the battle at the docks. Why didn't he feel her die when she entered the Tear doorframe ter'angreal? Or did that happen off screen?

It's a really good question. He didn't with the first doorframe, why would he with the second one when she clearly didn't die???????

Probably because the doorframe was destroyed.

Do you mean he could no longer feel her? Warders go into the rage because their AS die. She didn't die so.... etc, etc.

That's it, of course! I need to go to sleep as my brain isn't working :wacko: ! Thanks, Master Albar :blush:

It could be something similar to what happened when the Bowl of Winds was used, the power went funny, and snapped the bond in the same way dying would have. Ter'Angreal can be very dangerous when used improperly, and when one is destroyed, who knows what the effects could be.

So, he being trapped in another dimension breaks the bond (or whatever happens when an AS dies)? There's really no other explanation for it that I can see.

So, he being trapped in another dimension breaks the bond (or whatever happens when an AS dies)? There's really no other explanation for it that I can see.

The only other explanation I can think of is that Moiraine somehow broke the bond when she went through. But seeing as she was busy putting Lanfear in a headlock at the time I think it's rather doubtful.

The

I think this is correct. It's seems the doorways are a connection between Rand Land and Finn Land. When the Rhuidean doorway melts, the connection is lost, and Lan's bond is broken.

As for Lan failing to go into a death rage, I believe that has more to do with the fact that his bond was transferred to Myrelle. He probably would have gone to Death Rage mode, except for the Myrelle transfer.

The

I think this is correct. It's seems the doorways are a connection between Rand Land and Finn Land. When the Rhuidean doorway melts, the connection is lost, and Lan's bond is broken.

As for Lan failing to go into a death rage, I believe that has more to do with the fact that his bond was transferred to Myrelle. He probably would have gone to Death Rage mode, except for the Myrelle transfer.

he kinda did anyways, he went into insane sword practice form

The

Sorry, I don't remember this. To what are you referring?

Edited by Clouded

The

Sorry, I don't remember this. To what are you referring?

I believe he's talking about when Egwene finds Myrelle and others hiding Lan among the Rebels. He does super fast sword forms and even the other Warders are impressed.

Personally, I was under the impression that Lan was messed up in the head as soon as Moiraine was lost on the other side of the doorframe. In fact, if Moiraine had not transferred his bond to Myrelle, he'd probably be dead by now.

you can probably hang a big time yes on that last bit; Rand might have rescued him from the immediate danger (as he did in the book by wrapping him up in Air to keep him from running into the burning ter'angreal), but I think it highly likely that Lan would have sought death in combat, probably in the Blight, without the compulsion to find Myrelle.

you can probably hang a big time yes on that last bit; Rand might have rescued him from the immediate danger (as he did in the book by wrapping him up in Air to keep him from running into the burning ter'angreal), but I think it highly likely that Lan would have sought death in combat, probably in the Blight, without the compulsion to find Myrelle.

Exactly. He would have gone to the blight to die.

Ogier Question: The Book of Translation takes them back to Ogiertron. So, if they open it up, does that mean the Seanchan ogier get their asses sent back to Mars, too?
Actually, the place has not been specified in the books.

I take it would be both continent's ogier; and to some random world, not necessarily back to their home world.

Ogier Question: The Book of Translation takes them back to Ogiertron. So, if they open it up, does that mean the Seanchan ogier get their asses sent back to Mars, too?
Actually, the place has not been specified in the books.

I take it would be both continent's ogier; and to some random world, not necessarily back to their home world.

Oh! It basically just beams them someplace random? Might as well take your chances in Randland.