DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Thanks to all those that chimed in on my question regarding Ishy and the Seanchan prophecies. 

Here's another one I seem to have missed over the years...

There's discussion here about Verin using Compulsion on some other sisters - Dumai's Wells, IIRC.  Was that clearly stated in the scene itself, referred to in later books or chapters, or was it speculated based upon something else? 

Thanks to all those that chimed in on my question regarding Ishy and the Seanchan prophecies. 

Here's another one I seem to have missed over the years...

There's discussion here about Verin using Compulsion on some other sisters - Dumai's Wells, IIRC.  Was that clearly stated in the scene itself, referred to in later books or chapters, or was it speculated based upon something else? 

It is clearly stated from her own POV in the scene where Verin interrogates Aes Sedai prisoners from Dumais Wells (TPoD Prologue). Though it is not 'real' Compulsion as we have seen it from Moghedien and Graendal, but a much weaker version.

Are there more Hawkwing's descendants except Tuon and Berelain? I mean are there other potential kings or queens of "Hawkwing's blood"?

Other Paendrag except Seanchan's Blood and Mayene's First?

Not that we know of, but there may well be. While it's cool for the Empress to ascend to the Crystal Throne via assassination of her siblings, there's no saying that it always works that way. So there may have been siblings of previous Empresses, who are uncles, aunts, cousins, grand-uncles, etc. of Tuon and hence, Hawkwing's descendants.

Thanks, all, for the answers on Ishy's partial entrapment.  I just wish that we had more information on WHY he was only partially sealed within the Bore.  There seems to be no real answer for that (yet).  If all of the other Forsaken were locked in and totally out of commission for 3K years, why was Ishy spared partially?  I wonder if this is at all meaningful or just a non-issue part of the plot that we are just supposed to accept.

I went back and read the part of tEotW where Ishy as Ba'alzamon monologues on how he was never trapped and all of the things he has done since the AoL.  Very cool to read it now in retrospect.

~TheTraveler

Thanks, all, for the answers on Ishy's partial entrapment.  I just wish that we had more information on WHY he was only partially sealed within the Bore.  There seems to be no real answer for that (yet).  If all of the other Forsaken were locked in and totally out of commission for 3K years, why was Ishy spared partially?  I wonder if this is at all meaningful or just a non-issue part of the plot that we are just supposed to accept.

I went back and read the part of tEotW where Ishy as Ba'alzamon monologues on how he was never trapped and all of the things he has done since the AoL.  Very cool to read it now in retrospect.

~TheTraveler

That is an interesting question, but it likely won't be answered.  I think I have a partial answer though.  Aginor and Belthamel (sp?) were trapped so close to the surface (they were the furthest away from the center of the Bore I guess?) that they actually sat and watched 3000 years pass by.  They witnessed everything, and because of that, their bodies weren't preserved as well as the bodies of the other Forsaken.  Trapped in a semi-state of consciousness for 3000 years not only took a terrible toll on their bodies, but on their minds as well.  They both learned the current version of the language spoken in Randland, but being trapped while conscious for 3000 years addled their brains and made them crazy.  I suppose maybe something similar happened to Ishamael.  He was even closer to the edge than Aginor and Belthamel, thus causing him to occasionally be able to break free of his entrapment.  This is more a guess than a statement of proven fact from the books.

~TheTraveler

That is an interesting question, but it likely won't be answered.  I think I have a partial answer though.  Aginor and Belthamel (sp?) were trapped so close to the surface (they were the furthest away from the center of the Bore I guess?) that they actually sat and watched 3000 years pass by.  They witnessed everything, and because of that, their bodies weren't preserved as well as the bodies of the other Forsaken.  Trapped in a semi-state of consciousness for 3000 years not only took a terrible toll on their bodies, but on their minds as well.  They both learned the current version of the language spoken in Randland, but being trapped while conscious for 3000 years addled their brains and made them crazy.  I suppose maybe something similar happened to Ishamael.  He was even closer to the edge than Aginor and Belthamel, thus causing him to occasionally be able to break free of his entrapment.  This is more a guess than a statement of proven fact from the books.

It could be that Ishamael had been so heavily warped by his True Power usage that his "less than half human" state made him like Myrdraals-not completely in sync with everything else.

Were any of the other Forsaken with Graendal when she was balefired?

For sure not Mesaana nor Semirhage.

Most likely not, the only forsaken how knew the location of her lair was Moridin. Had he been there Rand would probably have been affected badly through their connection.

Besides, we aren't 100 % certain that Graendel was BF'ed. Rand says she's much smarter than him, so we could assume that she saw through his plan and countered it somehow. Though I do find it improbable.

When Lews Therin's voice disappeared, did his memories go also or did his memories stay?

Most likely we won't know until the next book.

From what I've read Jordan stated that every person has a body, an immortal soul, and a [life?] thread in the pattern.

I'm curious about which of the three a [warder] bond is tied too. Do we have any information on this?

My guess would be: Not the soul.

Were any of the other Forsaken with Graendal when she was balefired?

For sure not Mesaana nor Semirhage.

Most likely not, the only forsaken how knew the location of her lair was Moridin. Had he been there Rand would probably have been affected badly through their connection.

Besides, we aren't 100 % certain that Graendel was BF'ed. Rand says she's much smarter than him, so we could assume that she saw through his plan and countered it somehow. Though I do find it improbable.

I really hope she was BF because I'm kind of getting sick of the whole "6th sense" crap of "Oh, you are alive! Wait, no, you are dead! Wait, I'm alive again!" Forsaken are Forsaken, they are not cats with 9 lives. (i knot that BF can not be resurrected, but still, the whole idea is the same - this person is dead, no, now they are alive. BS NEEDS TO START KILLING PEOPLE OFF!!!:)) tGS was a good beginning with the prophet and Verin and all, but still, I will be wwwaaaayyy to depressed if in one last book 50-60% of characters die. :) Their deaths must be meaningful, but if you have 100 others people die at the same period of time it kind of makes it...less meaningful, i guess....

When Lews Therin's voice disappeared, did his memories go also or did his memories stay?

Most likely we won't know until the next book.

When did Aviendha find out about her also having Rand's babies?  I would guess sometime after Min's arrival at Arad Doman.

What exactly was she told about that Viewing?  For sure about she having the babies.

Just to make sure, the Aes Sedia drilled Min just about Rand's Viewings or did they drill her about other people's also?

When did Aviendha find out about her also having Rand's babies?  I would guess sometime after Min's arrival at Arad Doman.

What exactly was she told about that Viewing?  For sure about she having the babies.

Just to make sure, the Aes Sedia drilled Min just about Rand's Viewings or did they drill her about other people's also?

Min's likely to have told her when they got drunk together with Brigitte during WH. As far as I can recall, Min was wondering if she should tell Aviendha and that was just before they got drunk.

Avi tells Amys only that Min had a viewing about her children by Rand. So we don't know what exactly Min told her.

Min's PoV only talks about Cadsuane asking for Rand-specific viewings.

Min's likely to have told her when they got drunk together with Brigitte during WH.

I considered that for a moment; yet during one sieges on Caemlyn (which was after Min saw the Viewing), Aviendha tells Elayne that she (Aviendha) will not have children.

If Aviendha knew about the babies then, the comment was a lie.

The conversation happened offscreen - I mean the conversation when Avi learnt from Min about the habies. So placing it is tough. But Avi makes a reference to it early in TGS when she's not been in Arad Doman for long and it's clear that Min told her.

I don't remember the Elayne-Avi conversation - an exact quote of chapter reference might make it easier to clear up.

Knife of Dreams Chapter 13

Where Elayne throws a hissy fit and Avi says " I don't think I want kids, if this is what happens to pregnant women"? I don't think Avi is necessarily ignorant of Min's vision or lying at that stage. She's just saying that, given a choice, she'd rather not go through the mood-swings of childbirth. Definitely not proof that she doesn't already know about Min's vision.

I seem to recall Perrin having foretelling "dreams" as well when he wanders around TAR. He looks up in the sky and there's a window that shows him stuff going on with our other characters.  I suppose that could be some sort of early manifestation of the color ta'veren vision, but I'm not sure.  I never pay enough attention to the timelines so I'm not sure if Perrin's windows were present or future visions.

Or I could be misremembering.  And here I thought I'd be all sharp with this stuff since I just did a reread.

Those visions aren't foretellings, but glimmers of the present in the pattern. Him being a wolfbrother doesn't make him a dreamer or a dreamwalker. Dreamers foretell, he doesn't do that. Dreamwalkers have complete control and knowledge of T'A'R. He doesn't.

I just finished tSR and something I noticed made me think back to this exchange.  When Perrin is going around the TR trying to figure out how many Trollocs are in the area, he has two foretelling visions.

Edited to be more specific:

tSR, The Price of a Departure, p882 paperback

As he scanned for the birds, a patch of sky darkened, became a window to somewhere else.  Egwene stood among a crowd of women, fear in her eyes; slowly the women knelt around her.  Nynaeve was one of them, and he believed he saw Elayne's red-gold hair.  That window faded and was replaced.  Mat stood naked and bound, snarling; an odd spear with a black shaft had been thrust across his back behind his elbows, and a silver medallion, a foxhead, hung on his chest.  Mat vanished, and it was Rand.  Perrin thought it was Rand.  He wore rags and a rough cloak, and a bandage covered his eyes.  The third window disappeared; the sky was only sky, empty except for the clouds.

I seem to recall Perrin having foretelling "dreams" as well when he wanders around TAR. He looks up in the sky and there's a window that shows him stuff going on with our other characters.  I suppose that could be some sort of early manifestation of the color ta'veren vision, but I'm not sure.  I never pay enough attention to the timelines so I'm not sure if Perrin's windows were present or future visions.

Or I could be misremembering.  And here I thought I'd be all sharp with this stuff since I just did a reread.

Those visions aren't foretellings, but glimmers of the present in the pattern. Him being a wolfbrother doesn't make him a dreamer or a dreamwalker. Dreamers foretell, he doesn't do that. Dreamwalkers have complete control and knowledge of T'A'R. He doesn't.

I just finished tSR and something I noticed made me think back to this exchange.  When Perrin is going around the TR trying to figure out how many Trollocs are in the area, he has two foretelling visions.

One is Mat, naked and tied up to his spear with the medallion hanging from his neck.  I think I recall someone suggesting that maybe part of Mat is still trapped in Finnland like this.  It's more likely a vision of his rescue attempt.  The second vision Perrin has is of Egwene and a bunch of women bowing/kneeling to her.  Among the women are Nyn & Elayne.  This seems to clearly foretell Egwene becoming Amyrlin and does not really reflect anything that's happening with her at the present in the Waste. 

i dont remember this.