DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

funny things people have said to you when reading the books for the 1st time

I loaned my copy of tEotW to my girlfriend because she was looking for a book to read. She asks me a bunch of questions about the plot and I always have to tell her to RAFO (I've always wanted to say that LOL). One comment she made to me had me laughing really hard. She said "Man that boy/girl psychic is really weird". At first I had no idea what she was talking about but I realized it was min. Anyone else have a story like this?

OH! I forgot about how hard it was to get through the first like 4-6 chapters. It took me like 3 months before I actually got through it. The only reason I finally read it was because I finished an exam early in class, lol.

I loaned my copy of tEotW to my girlfriend because she was looking for a book to read. She asks me a bunch of questions about the plot and I always have to tell her to RAFO (I've always wanted to say that LOL). One comment she made to me had me laughing really hard. She said "Man that boy/girl psychic is really weird". At first I had no idea what she was talking about but I realized it was min. Anyone else have a story like this?

One of my girlfriends finished reading the Twilight series, her first real reading accomplishment, and she was so proud of herself for getting through all four books and enjoyed the series so much that I am attempting to get her into the Eye of the World.

Now, for me the idea of a (seemingly) never-ending series is wonderful because you can really immerse yourself in it without knowing that in just 1,000 pages or so it will all be over. But when I gave her the first book, she was a little intimidated by the small print and its thickness, but then grinned and said she shouldn't have any problem - after all, the Twlight series had FOUR books in it, so how hard could just one be?

I really, really didn't have the heart to tell her.

One of my girlfriends finished reading the Twilight series, her first real reading accomplishment, and she was so proud of herself for getting through all four books and enjoyed the series so much that I am attempting to get her into the Eye of the World.

Now, for me the idea of a (seemingly) never-ending series is wonderful because you can really immerse yourself in it without knowing that in just 1,000 pages or so it will all be over. But when I gave her the first book, she was a little intimidated by the small print and its thickness, but then grinned and said she shouldn't have any problem - after all, the Twlight series had FOUR books in it, so how hard could just one be?

I really, really didn't have the heart to tell her.

:D Brilliant.

I've tried to get my cousin and my brother in law into the series.

My cousin is still on book 6...6 years later, and my brother in law still gives me nasty looks every time I even mention the series. He got about 6 chapters into tEotW and had about the same reaction that Jelly was talking about.

I can't say that I've had either of them say something funny about the series to me. However, I do remember that alllll those years ago, when an aquitence from school was trying to get me into the series he was telling me about "The Dragon" and I was like, "Yeah, see, that's exactly why I don't want to read it. I can't stand those fantasy books about dragons and goblins and crap". Thinking back, the guy must have been laughing inside....

When I first read the book at age 12 I thought 'Aes Sedai' was a person, and then Moiraine rocked up and I thought 'Moiraine' was an alias and this chick was like four thousand years old and responsible for breaking the world.

I must say I felt a bit foolish when I realised. Also a bit dissapointed.

For other people, I had a female friend (ahem. Kate. I know you lurk!) who got about halfway through book one and thought Perrin was gay and gonna end up with Elyas. We got in a fight about it because she thought I was saying no to lead her in the wrong direction. She kept stubbornly maintaining it even after Faile appeared. She only gurgingly admitted she was wrong when they got married.

When I first read the book at age 12 I thought 'Aes Sedai' was a person, and then Moiraine rocked up and I thought 'Moiraine' was an alias and this chick was like four thousand years old and responsible for breaking the world.

For other people, I had a female friend (ahem. Kate. I know you lurk!) who got about halfway through book one and thought Perrin was gay and gonna end up with Elyas. We got in a fight about it because she thought I was saying no to lead her in the wrong direction. She kept stubbornly maintaining it even after Faile appeared. She only gurgingly admitted she was wrong when they got married.

LOL thats pretty amazing.

We got in a fight about it because she thought I was saying no to lead her in the wrong direction.
Who won? I mean, this is one of the questions philosophers have debated since time immemorial: Can Luckers beat a twelve year old girl?

You know, the argument could be made that Faile is Perrin's, ah... beard. If so, RJ may have been a little too heavy-handed on the symbology.

I think the funniest/hardest question I always get is "What is that book about?" I've been reading WoT for 15 years and really have no simple answer for this question. lol

I also enjoy the comments about the size of these books. Oh, man, the way peoples eyes pop when you tell them the extent of the series!  :D

We got in a fight about it because she thought I was saying no to lead her in the wrong direction.
Who won? I mean, this is one of the questions philosophers have debated since time immemorial: Can Luckers beat a twelve year old girl?

Well, it was touch and go until I pulled out the cricket bat. After that things got a lot smoother.

You know, the argument could be made that Faile is Perrin's, ah... beard. If so, RJ may have been a little too heavy-handed on the symbology.

Well, let's see... he's sensitive. He knows a great deal about women (just ask Mat or Rand). He is self-contained and doesn't talke about himself much. And he's attracted to strong women...

You know Kate may have had something here after all.

Well, let's see... he's sensitive. He knows a great deal about women (just ask Mat or Rand). He is self-contained and doesn't talke about himself much. And he's attracted to strong women...

You know Kate may have had something here after all.

LoL - yeah, cuz ALL the gay guys I know can be best described as 'self-contained'.

:P

Actually we usually begin that way--in high school fear of being outed leads to it. I reckon it's the reason so many become so flamboyent later on. After years of repression you gain freedom.

*grinning as I know this is more than a little bit of a threadjack*

Like all things, I'm sure it depends on the individual, as well as the climate - both family/friends and community at large - that they were in when they came to terms with who they are... not all of my gay friends are necessarily 'flamboyant', but I can't come up with a single one I'd describe as self-contained.

They are ALL world-class kissers, though.  :-*

I think the funniest/hardest question I always get is "What is that book about?" I've been reading WoT for 15 years and really have no simple answer for this question. lol

I also enjoy the comments about the size of these books. Oh, man, the way peoples eyes pop when you tell them the extent of the series!  :D

Yeah I've also had that problem. There just isn't a simple answer!

Surprisingly though when I started the series I was in 6th or 7th grade and never got even a little bored in the series to much later when events slowed down and took forever to happen. Even then though I still read right through.

Well, it was touch and go until I pulled out the cricket bat. After that things got a lot smoother.
You used a cricket bat on a little girl? Luckers, I'm surprised at you - what if you'd damaged it?

I just remember reading books 1-9, one a week until I caught up. And that's how I broke the 7th grade reading project. Extra credit based on page numbers you say? Do I have a story for you! MUWHAHAHAHA!!

Later that year, I had to write a business letter to a company, and I choose Tor. I sent them a letter saying I loved WoT so much that I broke the binding on 6 of my 9 books. They send me 4 free hardcovers because they thought I was complaining. Later, Jordan would sign them. LMAO.

I just remember reading books 1-9, one a week until I caught up. And that's how I broke the 7th grade reading project. Extra credit based on page numbers you say? Do I have a story for you! MUWHAHAHAHA!!

Later that year, I had to write a business letter to a company, and I choose Tor. I sent them a letter saying I loved WoT so much that I broke the binding on 6 of my 9 books. They send me 4 free hardcovers because they thought I was complaining. Later, Jordan would sign them. LMAO.

Bloody cheapskates. I suppose they sent you the wrong ones as well.

Archived